PDA

View Full Version : Replacing a steel steer tube

skiezo
03-31-2020, 09:16 PM
I have a steel fork and need the steer tube to be longer. It is a 1" and appears to be brazed into the fork crown socket. If I send this to a builder can it be replace with a longer tube without much trouble?

FlashUNC
03-31-2020, 09:18 PM
Nope.

unterhausen
03-31-2020, 09:22 PM
There are reputable builders that will lengthen it or replace it with a longer one. Have to search for them though. There are also reputable builders that will tell you it's a bad idea

Dino Suegiù
03-31-2020, 09:30 PM
Even if some builder were to do it, for the expense and hassle a new steel fork would be the correct option. Probably not much more expensive, certainly much less hassle/worry. The old legs and crown won't save any real money.

parris
03-31-2020, 09:57 PM
Contact Dave Kirk for a replacement. It'll be better than the original in every way. It may even open you up to some options that the original fork DIDN'T provide that you may be interested in.

wallymann
03-31-2020, 09:57 PM
I have a guy that will extend a steel steerer....many strongly advise against it, but I've had 3 done...

chrisroph
03-31-2020, 10:10 PM
Just get a new fork.

ultraman6970
03-31-2020, 10:16 PM
Im not from the US, so the way I see the fixes are very different ok?

One solution is what wally says, braze an extension, I have seen that fix a few times...

Second solution just remove the tube and put a new one in, thing I have seen at least 20 times to be done by 3 builders in my country. Get the materials here in the US is not a problem, in my country it was so that's when u had to have in the shop a collection of old busted forks to work with. Heat,,, pull... clean really well, braze the new tube... put that in acid, good to go.

Here is more of a safety/I dont want to be sued if that fails situation, in my country was more of a ... Master would you please fix it???, when you are racing and have no dime you had to save as much as posible of your bike.

3rd option, buy a new or get somebody to make you a new one.

Is a fork that has a logo in the crown???

fishwhisperer
03-31-2020, 11:11 PM
I had my steerer bent in a crash, and the original builder (Rick Hunter) cut it out and brazed in a new, thicker one. No troubles so far, and he didn’t hesitate to do it. An extension sounds sketchy but I wouldn’t be afraid of a new steerer if the price is right compared to a brand new fork.

Look585
03-31-2020, 11:23 PM
Forum member David Tollefson (https://forums.thepaceline.net/member.php?u=233777) of (Mjolnir Cycles (www.mjolnircycles.com)) will build you a road fork to your specs for well under $200. I have commissioned two (one segmented, one sloping crown) and they both came out great. Definitely an option worth considering.

muz
04-01-2020, 12:19 AM
When you have a vintage fork with original paint and chromed crown, you need to do something creative, like get Mikkelsen to extend the steerer tube. I have seen it done by brazing a sleeve, or even grinding and TIG welding an extension. For a modern steel frame that can be paint matched, a new fork is probably a better option.

weaponsgrade
04-01-2020, 01:41 AM
Mikkelsen did one for me.

mhespenheide
04-01-2020, 02:19 AM
Forum member David Tollefson (https://forums.thepaceline.net/member.php?u=233777) of (Mjolnir Cycles (www.mjolnircycles.com)) will build you a road fork to your specs for well under $200. I have commissioned two (one segmented, one sloping crown) and they both came out great. Definitely an option worth considering.

Can anyone recommend a similar value with curved fork blades? I was all psyched up until reading that David only likes straight-blade forks.

David Kirk
04-01-2020, 10:41 AM
Is there a compelling reason to keep the original fork? I ask because replacing the steerer will ruin the finish and you'll need to have it repainted.

I'd opt for a new fork whether it be custom or a stock replacement fork. When forks fail things get really ugly. It's not a place where I would take any chances.

dave

Waldo62
04-01-2020, 11:54 AM
I was gonna say that I've spoken with reputable builders about this type of fix and all advised against it, but instead I'll say listen to Dave :-) ^^^

Veloo
04-01-2020, 12:03 PM
See a few threads discussing the topic.
I searched "lengthening steel fork steerer tube"
Here's just one.

https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/comment/18428777#Comment_18428777

bigbill
04-01-2020, 12:29 PM
A few years ago I asked about replacing the 1" steerer on a Nobilette fork. Even Nobilette said not to do it. Heating the crown to sweat out the old one could compromise the entire structure. Builders fabricate in a certain order, just get a new fork.

skiezo
04-01-2020, 12:52 PM
I The fork in question in a low trail with rack and fender mounts as well as built for a Schmidt SL front hub.
It is usable as it is just not much above the HT. I can fit 1 20mm spacer and the stem. I was hoping to use a high stack stem but even with no spacers it still does not reach the min. insertion of the VO high stack.
I will more than likely get a stem made at an angle that will put my bars where I need them to be.
Thanks Brian

bigbill
04-01-2020, 01:23 PM
I The fork in question in a low trail with rack and fender mounts as well as built for a Schmidt SL front hub.
It is usable as it is just not much above the HT. I can fit 1 20mm spacer and the stem. I was hoping to use a high stack stem but even with no spacers it still does not reach the min. insertion of the VO high stack.
I will more than likely get a stem made at an angle that will put my bars where I need them to be.
Thanks Brian

Eric Estlund at Winter can make you a custom threadless stem to get the rise.

macaroon
04-02-2020, 06:18 AM
Thanks Brian

No option for taking a bit off the top of the headtube? Or fitting a lower stack headset?

skiezo
04-02-2020, 07:17 AM
The HT is 150mm now and at my age and back issues I do not like the have a saddle to bar drop of more than 5cm.
I am in contact with Rich Adams to get a custom stem made at the angle and length I am looking for.

David Kirk
04-02-2020, 09:34 AM
The HT is 150mm now and at my age and back issues I do not like the have a saddle to bar drop of more than 5cm.
I am in contact with Rich Adams to get a custom stem made at the angle and length I am looking for.

A custom stem is the right way to make this work. Good choice.

dave