PDA

View Full Version : Explain bike packing bags vs Panniers

Black Dog
03-31-2020, 11:12 AM
Ok, this question has been floating around in the vast empty realms of my brain.

I see a trend in bike packing (which I think is a neat activity). However, I wonder why stuff odd shaped packs in the frame triangle, behind the seat, etc... I look at these bags and think why not just put on a rack with two full sized panniers and make things so simple and functional. Geeze, you would even be able to access your water bottles. The bags sit low and keep the centre off gravity down. What is the down side of a rear rack an paneers compared to the frame bags? It surely can not be an aerodynamics issue.

unterhausen
03-31-2020, 11:33 AM
people have written many words about this question.
https://www.google.com/search?q=panniers+vs+bikepacking&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS771US771&oq=panniers+vs+bike&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l5j69i61.11799j0j7

I think panniers on the forks along with a bikepacking seat back probably make the most sense for my usage. Rear only panniers often cause stability problems and need a bigger rack.

Thrust
03-31-2020, 11:33 AM
Panniers is more suited for Cyclotouring on paved roads whilst bikepacking is more suited for the rough and tough gravel/fireroad middle of nowhere-ness.

charliedid
03-31-2020, 11:36 AM
Panniers is more suited for Cyclotouring on paved roads whilst bikepacking is more suited for the rough and tough gravel/fireroad middle of nowhere-ness.

This is your answer ^

robt57
03-31-2020, 11:40 AM
The way lower front pannier bags sit seems like any adverse terrain is going to be a problem sooner or later, no?

ryker
03-31-2020, 11:50 AM
Offroad touring panniers exist now. Check out the Porcelain Rocket take on the genre.

https://porcelainrocket.com/collections/all/products/microwave-panniers

benb
03-31-2020, 11:57 AM
Panniers upset your handling much more. It’s about mass centralization.

If you have to carry tons of weight the panniers start to come into their own again, but at that point you probably have a bike designed for more stability.

I have a pannier setup for my Space Horse. That bike has some changes in it’s design to accommodate panniers and front racks. It’s pretty good seated but still annoying out of the saddle even with 15-20lbs. A dedicated bike like the long haul trucker seems to be what you need to carry a bunch on the panniers.

unterhausen
03-31-2020, 12:03 PM
The way lower front pannier bags sit seems like any adverse terrain is going to be a problem sooner or later, no?

if someone is taking a tour on rough seldom-used singletrack, then yes. But for most bikepacking, it's not going to hit anything. I was thinking about doing transvirginia this year and front low- rider panniers would work fine for that, all gravel roads. The big question for me on that ride was if I wanted to camp or do it as fast as I could. Can't do it now though.

Black Dog
03-31-2020, 12:11 PM

How so?

Veloo
03-31-2020, 12:11 PM
I put up a thread after my trip last year:
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=239837

I used a double pannier same as this but 31 litres.
https://hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/bicycle-bags/fastrider-panniers/fastrider-double-pannier/fastrider-double-pannier-led-hybride-35l-bl-bl-l/

I got it years ago for groceries and commuting to work. Never did use it much for either. It has the connecting straps on top which allow you to plop it over a rear rack.

We took the train to Cobourg to start. Having a double bag meant I could not easily store it in an overheard compartment or under my seat on the train ride so it was awkward.

In total I think I had about 30 pounds loaded on the rear rack with this bag. We were suffering and learning how to ride again for the first 2 and a half days. Could not ride standing up out of the saddle cuz it wasn't stable. It was humbling and very painful on the butt.

One lesson learned was that I didn't need all the bars and gels. I got 2 of each for each day. In both Ontario and Quebec, we were so close to markets and restaurants that we never went long without food. Can't return the stuff to MEC really cuz they'll just throw it out even tho you can get a refund so I gave it to a friend.

So based on the thread I started, I'm ditching the double rear bag on kijiji and looking to loading the front instead.

AngryScientist
03-31-2020, 12:15 PM
i think the bike-packing typed kit became popular for two reasons:

1) conceptually, much of this stuff was born for mtb. mountain bikes have complex suspension in some cases and the bike moves, unlike a rigid bicycle, and traditional touring kit is not suited to this.

2) much of this stuff can be adapted to use on any bike. no longer need traditional rack mounts braze ons to take your regular gravel grinder on a weekend trip and not need a dedicated load carrying bike.

Jaybee
03-31-2020, 12:17 PM
How so?

The bikepacking stuff is designed to keep stuff out of the way of branches/rocks/whatever on singletrack. The weight also remains along the centerline of the bike, so IME, it doesn't unbalance as easily as panniers when doing techy stuff - feel more like a regular mountain bike. Though their are solutions around this, it also isn't as apt to rattle free and doesn't require any special mounts.

Black Dog
03-31-2020, 01:07 PM
The bikepacking stuff is designed to keep stuff out of the way of branches/rocks/whatever on singletrack. The weight also remains along the centerline of the bike, so IME, it doesn't unbalance as easily as panniers when doing techy stuff - feel more like a regular mountain bike. Though their are solutions around this, it also isn't as apt to rattle free and doesn't require any special mounts.

Thanks for explaining this. Makes some sense.

Black Dog
03-31-2020, 01:08 PM
I put up a threat after my trip last year:
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=239837

I used a double pannier same as this but 31 litres.
https://hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/bicycle-bags/fastrider-panniers/fastrider-double-pannier/fastrider-double-pannier-led-hybride-35l-bl-bl-l/

I got it years ago for groceries and commuting to work. Never did use it much for either. It has the connecting straps on top which allow you to plop it over a rear rack.

We took the train to Cobourg to start. Having a double bag meant I could not easily store it in an overheard compartment or under my seat on the train ride so it was awkward.

In total I think I had about 30 pounds loaded on the rear rack with this bag. We were suffering and learning how to ride again for the first 2 and a half days. Could not ride standing up out of the saddle cuz it wasn't stable. It was humbling and very painful on the butt.

One lesson learned was that I didn't need all the bars and gels. I got 2 of each for each day. In both Ontario and Quebec, we were so close to markets and restaurants that we went long without food. Can't return the stuff to MEC really cuz they'll just throw it out even tho you can get a refund so I gave it to a friend.

So based on the thread I started, I'm ditching the double rear bag on kijiji and looking to loading the front instead.

Thanks for the feedback...good thread to read.

Overshot
04-03-2020, 05:45 AM

Good definition! The bikepacking bags also typically have much less volume, forcing a more UL trip rather than bringing it all with you because it fits mentality.

The Revelate bags we have for my wife and I are super secure and don’t move around much at all, even in rough terrain.

rain dogs
04-03-2020, 09:30 AM
As stated, is came mostly because of suspension bikes, but then people realized the bags are advantageous for (Probably repeating some):

Minimalism (generally less capacity)
Weight (both less weight and distributed)
Clearance (narrower)
Versatility (from bike to bike - no braze-ons needed.)
Modularity (add/subtract as needed)

Jaybee
04-03-2020, 09:38 AM
Good definition! The bikepacking bags also typically have much less volume, forcing a more UL trip rather than bringing it all with you because it fits mentality.

The Revelate bags we have for my wife and I are super secure and don’t move around much at all, even in rough terrain.

UL is right. I thought I was traveling light with a 18ish lb. load between 2 day resupply on the CT last summer, and the first couple big mountain passes had me mentally inventorying every place I could drop a gram or 2.

gdw
04-03-2020, 09:44 AM
As stated, is came mostly because of suspension bikes, but then people realized the bags are advantageous for (Probably repeating some):

Minimalism (generally less capacity)
Weight (both less weight and distributed)
Clearance (narrower)
Versatility (from bike to bike - no braze-ons needed.)
Modularity (add/subtract as needed)

Actually most of the gear was designed for hardtails since they were much more reliable for multiday backcountry races and adventures.

bthomas515
04-03-2020, 09:50 AM
I’ve gone bike packing off (paved) road with both. When riding with panniers, I quite literally turned around and went home after a few miles. You filter through items in your bags so when bikepacking you want even weight displacement, which is difficult when stuff is one side or another with panniers.

NHAero
04-03-2020, 12:02 PM
I bought an Apidura seat bag last year on sale and haven't used. Together with a good sized handlebar bag I think I could easily do overnights without rack and panniers. Kinda fun to think I could take a light road bike for a trip like that. Have fenders, rear rack, and handlebar bag mount on two bikes generally, which is what i've used before, but no question they are a lot heavier.

zambenini
04-03-2020, 04:16 PM
I rode a surly LHT the whole way across the country with rear only panniers. It worked fine, though I was going fairly light for fully loaded touring. I don't remember ever having a handling issue.

If I were doing it again, I would at least try a front rack and a big ass seat bag instead, but go even lighter in the equipment department. I have a better tent now, or I would just commit to a hammock until I ran out of trees about Kansas or so.

I always go west so I can ride into the sunset, even when just running to the supermarket.

benb
04-03-2020, 04:27 PM
I have a Revelate Tail bag that's pretty large and I have a blackburn pannier setup.

The weight of the blackburn hardware is more than the Revelate bag, the panniers themselves are much much heavier.

There are things that don't really work in the Revelate bag, like carrying a laptop computer. But that's not really relevant for a lot of bike trips.

If I was taking a trip I'd be pretty tempted to add a frame bag rather than taking the panniers. If it's clothes and food and such that fit in the tail bag/frame bag I know I'd have more fun.

I'm not sure I've actually put the panniers on since I got the revelate bag. I would use the panniers for commuting, but last season I just carried a backpack. I don't want to ride the bike around with the racks on if I'm not carrying luggage.

Overshot
04-04-2020, 06:51 AM
I have a Revelate Tail bag that's pretty large and I have a blackburn pannier setup.

The weight of the blackburn hardware is more than the Revelate bag, the panniers themselves are much much heavier.

There are things that don't really work in the Revelate bag, like carrying a laptop computer. But that's not really relevant for a lot of bike trips.

If I was taking a trip I'd be pretty tempted to add a frame bag rather than taking the panniers. If it's clothes and food and such that fit in the tail bag/frame bag I know I'd have more fun.

I'm not sure I've actually put the panniers on since I got the revelate bag. I would use the panniers for commuting, but last season I just carried a backpack. I don't want to ride the bike around with the racks on if I'm not carrying luggage.

Some of the nicest frame bags I’ve seen are completely bolt on. This eliminates all the extra straps and fuss with protecting the frame where there can be chafe points. Simple and effective, but braze on’s needed on inside of triangle.