PDA

View Full Version : OK, now I know why I dislike electronic groupsets. :-)

nmrt
03-30-2020, 03:14 PM
I simply do not like the whirring sound. While I am away, away from it all in the thick of the thick, mtb-ing away, the whirr of the motor while shifting reminds me of the civilization that i intend to escape from.

so it is nice, at least for me, to put a finger on why i disliked it. it had been troubling me for months. i mean, i rode the thing, loved the shifting but could not figure out what was bothering me. until today. i guess, sitting home while the virus ravages the world, lent time to some introspection on the really important things in life, i.e., e groupsets.

and yes, if sram makes the sound mute, i would buy it.

CAAD
03-30-2020, 03:48 PM
The only time I hear my etap is when I change the front ring. Even then I have to be listening for it.

jeffkoller91
03-30-2020, 03:48 PM
I personally find the joy of bikes that they are purely human powered. Sure I ride with a computer and sensors, but my bike still runs and operates like normal if I forget to charge it. The fact that you could potentially be reliant on a battery or connection issue to ride your bike has always turned me off from considering them as an option.

(Full disclosure, I've never been in a position to afford electronic sifters let alone try them so this may be a bit biased...)

saab2000
03-30-2020, 03:52 PM
The initial setup, failure and subsequent CF of warranty work left me sour on it. It currently works fine but I don’t think I’d get it again and may not keep it.

nmrt
03-30-2020, 03:55 PM
I see your point i agree with the "purity" aspect of a mechanical groupset too. I see that for some people this might be a deal breaker. But I am uncertain if sram made a silent e group, would the "purity" aspect bother me. i really do not know. but i would definitely buy it and try it for sure. but this current e group that makes the whirring sound, i do not even want to purchase it.

I personally find the joy of bikes that they are purely human powered. Sure I ride with a computer and sensors, but my bike still runs and operates like normal if I forget to charge it. The fact that you could potentially be reliant on a battery or connection issue to ride your bike has always turned me off from considering them as an option.

(Full disclosure, I've never been in a position to afford electronic sifters let alone try them so this may be a bit biased...)

CAAD
03-30-2020, 04:00 PM
What whirring sound do you speak of? Rear shift on my etap is silent.

I did ride my mechanical red 22 yesterday. While I like the mechanical feel I like etap for the simple button click to shift. I was always in the never going electric camp but etap changed my mind.

robt57
03-30-2020, 04:00 PM
I like the Di2 front auto trim noise, like a middle of the cassette notification without looking down...

zap
03-30-2020, 04:09 PM
Mouse farts still take me by surprise.

Then add swishing of pads on discs.........

nmrt
03-30-2020, 04:25 PM
I have not ridden eTap 11-speed. I rode a Force AXS 12 speed. And there definitely was a whirring when I shifted gears. A very, very short lived whirring or the motor.

I did ride my mechanical red 22 yesterday. While I like the mechanical feel I like etap for the simple button click to shift. I was always in the never going electric camp but etap changed my mind.

eddief
03-30-2020, 04:35 PM
you know what can happen if you make too much noise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcp5WJYrwsE

robt57
03-30-2020, 05:12 PM
I have not ridden eTap 11-speed. I rode a Force AXS 12 speed. And there definitely was a whirring when I shifted gears. A very, very short lived whirring or the motor.

Cool if you could hack it to sound like the Tardis Dematerialization sound or something... ;)

charliedid
03-30-2020, 05:13 PM
I simply do not like the whirring sound. While I am away, away from it all in the thick of the thick, mtb-ing away, the whirr of the motor while shifting reminds me of the civilization that i intend to escape from.

so it is nice, at least for me, to put a finger on why i disliked it. it had been troubling me for months. i mean, i rode the thing, loved the shifting but could not figure out what was bothering me. until today. i guess, sitting home while the virus ravages the world, lent time to some introspection on the really important things in life, i.e., e groupsets.

and yes, if sram makes the sound mute, i would buy it.

Maybe try a singe speed belt drive bike? :-)

jpritchet74
03-30-2020, 05:25 PM
For a MTB I just do not see the read to go electronic. It's just a single cable to install and adjust. If you crash the drive side of the bike your mechanical rear derailleur is way more likely to survive the crash.

Also, no battery to die. I had a Di2 battery die at the far end of a 30 mile loop (road bike) and was stuck in a single gear for 15 miles of rolling hills the whole way back. It was miserable.

Cat3roadracer
03-30-2020, 05:27 PM
Maybe try a singe speed belt drive bike? :-)

With Onyx hubs.

charliedid
03-30-2020, 05:28 PM
With Onyx hubs.

Word!

See what I did there?!

I saw those Onyx at a show recently. Beyond...everything.

C40_guy
03-30-2020, 05:33 PM
Mouse farts still take me by surprise.

I usually blame them on the dog, but I think my wife is catching on...

joosttx
03-30-2020, 05:33 PM
I love the sound of the chain precisely going into to the cog every time. Axs does that every freaking time.

R3awak3n
03-30-2020, 06:06 PM
I love the sound of an e derailleur, does not bother me at all and yes... I love the mechnical feel of campy but nothing shifts as smooth as an electronic derailleur. Perfect, every single time.

Jef58
03-30-2020, 06:21 PM
I do not have electronic shifting but believe is works as good as it's claimed. I prefer the snap of Campagnolo and it's certainly there with the mechanical 12 speed group. Being in Florida, electronic and multiple speeds are probably overkill but I put Record 12 on a new rim brake, skinny tire frame.

Miller76
03-30-2020, 08:40 PM
Silent gears and loud hubs = dream build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnmdesigner
03-30-2020, 09:07 PM
The only sound I dislike is the sound of all that money being sucked out of my bank account to pay for it.

ERK55
03-30-2020, 09:34 PM
Silent gears and loud hubs = dream build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silent gears and silent hubs=dream build.

saab2000
03-30-2020, 10:33 PM
Silent gears and silent hubs=dream build.

Exactly. Loud hubs are like leaf blowers. Ban them. Seriously, show up on my ride with them and one of us will be gone. Probably me.

Electric shifting works well when it works. When it’s dead, it halts a ride dead. No thanks.

raisinberry777
03-30-2020, 10:37 PM
Exactly. Loud hubs are like leaf blowers. Ban them.

Thank you! Sometimes I feel like the only one. A nice bicycle is a quiet one.

robt57
03-31-2020, 12:29 AM
I am solidly in the quiet freewheel camp personally.

kramnnim
03-31-2020, 12:51 AM
I didn’t like the sound of my chain moving from sprocket to sprocket so I went single speed. But then I didn’t like the sound of tires on the pavement so I just walk barefoot instead.

:banana:

Clean39T
03-31-2020, 01:20 AM
I am solidly in the quiet freewheel camp personally.

I gotta spin my Phil freehub on my Kirk for you - purrrs like a kitten :beer:

robt57
03-31-2020, 01:23 AM
I gotta spin my Phil freehub on my Kirk for you - purrrs like a kitten :beer:

More like like a small group of angry bees...:banana:

oldpotatoe
03-31-2020, 06:16 AM

I did ride my mechanical red 22 yesterday. While I like the mechanical feel I like etap for the simple button click(S) to shift. I was always in the never going electric camp but etap changed my mind.

FIFY..my EPS 'whirring' never bothered me. I kinda liked the idea that it was working and the front der was smart enough to trim on it's own.

For those who like the simplicity of the bike..well, ya need friction shifters then..not that automatic transmission' of 'click shifting'..'click shifting is for______...well, you know..:)

mdeth1313
03-31-2020, 06:26 AM
I could care less. About 2 years ago I switched to etap. I now have 3 bikes all set up with etap (11 speed).

I could care less about the noise. Setup is a joke compared to dealing with derailleur cables, shifting is precise and a spare battery (and charging batteries proactively) has led to zero drivetrain issues while riding.

Dracarys
03-31-2020, 07:43 AM
I don’t hear any electronic noise from my di2 rear derailleur, but the front sounds like a xenomorph from Aliens. I kinda like it. [emoji3]

teleguy57
03-31-2020, 08:14 AM
The initial setup, failure and subsequent CF of warranty work left me sour on it. It currently works fine but I don’t think I’d get it again and may not keep it.

Sorry for the frustration you've had, but I'm glad you've come to you senses:cool: Now to get you back to Campy....:banana:

saab2000
03-31-2020, 08:31 AM
Sorry for the frustration you've had, but I'm glad you've come to you senses:cool: Now to get you back to Campy....:banana:

We'll see. One thing at a time!

I can imagine a Super Duper Record groupset on a bike. Given my experience with Di2 I'm not sure I'm ready for EPS though it's a good looking group.

But I can imagine a mechanical groupset on a bike in the fleet, along with some of their latest wheels.

Right now the priority is on keeping employed!