PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a coach in Charlotte NC?

justinf
01-14-2007, 10:56 AM
Hey everybody--
I'd like to have the help of a cycling coach this year; it will be a first for me. I don't have any current desires to race, just goals to become a stronger rider all around and to refine my technique.

Anyone know a good coach in the Charlotte area?

Also, any suggestions on what to ask/look for in a coach and program?

thanks--j

tiger
01-14-2007, 11:50 AM
Katie Malone is a professional triathlete in the Greenville-Spartanburg area who does coaching. Not too far from Charlotte.

Local is best, but many coaches offer services long distance, via phone and internet. I've used Doug Bush at Endurance Factor (who is relatively local to me) and been satisfied with his advice.

Best bet by far is to ask people you know at a local bike shop or a club you belong to who they would recommend. It's probably easier to stay motivated with a local vs. long distance coach.

Smiley
01-14-2007, 12:23 PM
If long distance coaching is OK for you... try our own Too Tall , dude knows his stuff and can make a monster out of U :)

stevep
01-14-2007, 12:29 PM
a buddy of mine now down there somewhere.
kurt begemann
kurt@rideecd.com

bug him for me.
he is in nc somewhere

tell him he knows 1/2 as much as me...

Fat Robert
01-14-2007, 01:02 PM
eric peterson is great, but he's kind of tied up with junior development

I'd say just hit the Orr Road scene, ask the better riders for advice

go like snot when you feel good

go steady when you don't feel good

go super easy two days a week so you feel good enough to go like snot

you could also try performance training...there are a few people around charlotte who use them. my pet project this summer is to see if i can beat one performance client in the rock hill TT series...we're almost dead even...he's the boardman (techno weenie, paid coach, mr power meter), i'm the obree (nutter, no coach, train with a cheap timex).

justinf
01-15-2007, 07:22 AM
Thanks guys, I do some checking on these leads. I would love to work with TT at a distance. That reminds me Fatmo, we are overdue for a ride. I'd like to see that Pacenti too.

FR brings up an interesting point--social riding vs private riding. I'm kind of a private rider. I think that's why the idea of a coach appeals to me--I want to improve markedly this season. I roll out to Orr from time to time and live about 300 yds from the booty loop (a downtown Charlotte crit loop) and it's always cool to catch up with other good riders and occasionally get my butt kicked. I just need another social scene like a hole in the head.

Obree vs Boardman? reminds me of that really long thread. You're on the right side of that equation imho.

R2D2
01-15-2007, 08:05 AM
Justin:
If you interested in base miles your welcome to train with me.
There are also some good training rides out of the Matthews area.
Different rides for different skill levels.
There are some excellent older road racers around the area.

kestrel
01-15-2007, 09:11 AM
http://www.per4mancetraining.com/v2/company/bios.php