PDA

View Full Version : Dreaming of "Nicer" Wheels

tuxbailey
03-29-2020, 10:15 AM
I joined the 2020 Paceline weightloss challenge and I have lost 33 lbs so far through intermittent fasting as well as calories monitoring (side note, this approach proves very useful for the current situation to reduce grocery shopping :) )

I am also keeping up with training by doing 4-5 1 hr session of zwift each week. This is nothing for many here but for me it is more consistent compared to my past winters' effort.

For an added incentive, I promise myself to get a "nicer" set of wheels if I hit mid 160s. Although I am still far from it at 180 lbs, the target seem achievable so I am allowing myself to dream.

The thing is I don't know what nicer wheels for me means. Right now I am riding DTRR440 laced with record hubs built by old spud, 32x32. I got them used here and they have served me well, even surviving a big accident (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=231894) with a car when my Merlin Extralight snapped in half.

Staring at the big 5-0 in couple years, I don't think I will need something that is very deep for aero as I have never been fast, and probably will never be fast enough to benefit from it. I think I want something that will help me climb better and get going quicker (lighter?)

Stats:

Male, will be 49 this year.
Height: 5'8" - 5'9"
Target weight: 160-170
Budget: $600-$800 new or used. Call it under $1K in general.
Wheels: Clincher - Rim Brake. Chainstays allow 25 max tire width. Not sure if that will be a factor.

I have been following the various wheel discussion and it seems like Durace C24/40 or Campy Bora One 35 are well received here. Bora Ones are really expensive new but I have seen them listed here that is near my price range.

Of course, there is always custom built from old spud and other vendors here. But one reason for the incentive is to add some bling to the bike for my own vanity :)

Hopefully you can recommend some direction for me to chew on for the next few months.

Lastly, I can also stick with my current wheels.

Edit:

Picture of my bike if wheel choice will help improve the "aesthetics." It has the Ksyrium SL that came with the bike.

https://tuxbailey.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2725277629-5.jpg

dbnm
03-29-2020, 10:41 AM
I've been running Mavic Ksyrium Pro on my Moots Vamoots RSL and love them.

Fast, light, tubeless

Shop around and you'll find them for around $900 with tires.

https://shop.mavic.com/en-us/ksyrium-pro-ust-rr0928.html#1028=3283

ThasFACE
03-29-2020, 11:03 AM
I vote for holding out for a set of nice used Bora One 35's. Outstanding wheels.

EDIT: And congrats on the progress!

Thrust
03-29-2020, 11:09 AM
Congrats on the weightloss! Your starting weight is my goal weight :)

You could build custom for around $900 no doubt.

DT 350's on Lightbicycle carbon hoops for example. Bombproof and light.

colker
03-29-2020, 11:17 AM

How is the brake track on those?

pdmtong
03-29-2020, 11:21 AM
If you are "wanting" a wheelset with a "wider" rim and planing to run 28s it would be a good idea to test fit that configuration into your frameset and fork BEFORE you do a search and spend some money.

It may fit
It may fit if you also change brake calipers
It may not fit

My 2013 Moots CR needed new brake calipers to run Bora One with Conti 4ks2 25's.

colker
03-29-2020, 11:34 AM

tuxbailey
03-29-2020, 12:10 PM
If you are "wanting" a wheelset with a "wider" rim and planing to run 28s it would be a good idea to test fit that configuration into your frameset and fork BEFORE you do a search and spend some money.

It may fit
It may fit if you also change brake calipers
It may not fit

My 2013 Moots CR needed new brake calipers to run Bora One with Conti 4ks2 25's.

I can't run 28s in the rear. 25s is the max clearance due to "beefier" chainstays.

tuxbailey
03-29-2020, 12:31 PM

Wow. They look nice. R35 with DT350 built at around $850 depending on options. 1500g. I guess price is comparable to used Boras'.

flying
03-29-2020, 01:16 PM
Wow. They look nice. R35 with DT350 built at around $850 depending on options. 1500g. I guess price is comparable to used Boras'.

Let me throw in what some may say is the boring option....

Campy C17 Zonda
These wheels give up very little in weight at 1550grams to wheels costing 4x
Priced at a measly $345 shipped from PBK
represent incredible value

You never need to think twice about them
Bombing down mountains even if you hit pot holes root cracks etc you will
not be worried. They are strong & stay true with great braking

I have had very light alloy & I have had carbon Hyperons Not aero deep types as I climb a lot. At the end of the day I prefer these overall.

To tell you the truth for me this is as good as it ever was ;)

Thrust
03-29-2020, 01:23 PM

Like Zipp or any other high-end brand. They also have the graphene finish which seems quite nice but I haven't tried that yet. Might build up a WW wheelset with them, and I might try it out.

NHAero
03-29-2020, 01:23 PM
I bought these wheels from nmrt and they feel super on the bike. 1,384g with tape and still using aluminum rims. Suggest you look through that thread and then perhaps start your own. Keep it up (off?) on the weight loss challenge!

On the bike:
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=2668367&postcount=47

Post here:
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=2664349&postcount=10

tuxbailey
03-29-2020, 01:25 PM
Let me throw in what some may say is the boring option....

Campy C17 Zonda

Thanks for the input, very much appreciated.

My question is if these are better than what I have now, RR440+Record hubs?

mtechnica
03-29-2020, 01:27 PM
I’d get boras if possible. I have the zondas and they’re great but they aren’t a real aero wheel.

tuxbailey
03-29-2020, 01:38 PM
I bought these wheels from nmrt and they feel super on the bike. 1,384g with tape and still using aluminum rims. Suggest you look through that thread and then perhaps start your own. Keep it up (off?) on the weight loss challenge!

On the bike:
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=2668367&postcount=47

Post here:
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=2664349&postcount=10

Oh I remember those and Easton 90 SL are well reviewed here. Also with AL brake track I don't have to worry about brake pads.

How are the hubs for you? Not sure if i am a fan of rainbow spokes :)

Wheelset is right at the upper limit of my budget.

AngryScientist
03-29-2020, 01:56 PM
zondas are great wheels, but will offer you zero improvement over what you have.

boras are amazing wheels, but even today, you'll be hard pressed to find a good condition set for under a grand. they have a cult following and hold their value reasonably well.

the good news is there are a slew of good carbon clincher wheels out there that are plummeting in value with the rim brake revolution. i have a feeling [unfortunately] with lots of people out of work and bills to pay, we may start seeing even more good stuff appear on the used market.

My current go-fast bike is outfitted with fulcrum quatro carbons, which are most of the peformance of the boras for a little less. since your bike is a shimano rig anyway, i think fulcrum would be more appropriate than campy wheels.

keep your eye out for a pair, and congratulations on sticking with the weight loss program. this corona quarantine has really wrecked my motivation so far and i'm in abysmal cycling shape!

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ghVfWPyE-sg/XbTKEuhK6jI/AAAAAAAADXc/R1EDKzfoZiMtUi2Lk5NGhcH2xscphnw2wCLcBGAsYHQ/s1200/IMG_4715.jpg

NHAero
03-29-2020, 02:00 PM
The hubs seem fine, very smooth, and obviously lightweight. You can find bladed spokes easily that aren't rainbow :-) and they'll cost way less. These wheels weigh less than any not-carbon option proposed in the two threads I started, and less than many of the carbon ones that are deep section. Like you, I'm not fast - I ride solo and was pretty happy last week with an 82 mile ride averaging 15.3 mph on a windy day, with only 3,000 ft of elevation. So I knew I didn't want a deep section rim, especially because it's frequently gusty here. These are light, stiff, and the braking is excellent without any change to the DA 9000 calipers on the bike.

Oh I remember those and Easton 90 SL are well reviewed here. Also with AL brake track I don't have to worry about brake pads.

How are the hubs for you? Not sure if i am a fan of rainbow spokes :)

Wheelset is right at the upper limit of my budget.

echappist
03-29-2020, 02:00 PM
Congrats on the weight loss

As for the wheels, probably something like Bontrager XXX 6. Decently light (about the mass of comparable tubulars), and rather aero. If i were to get another wheelset, it’d be the one i pick (to replace my trusty Stinger 6)

tuxbailey
03-29-2020, 02:09 PM
zondas are great wheels, but will offer you zero improvement over what you have.

boras are amazing wheels, but even today, you'll be hard pressed to find a good condition set for under a grand. they have a cult following and hold their value reasonably well.

the good news is there are a slew of good carbon clincher wheels out there that are plummeting in value with the rim brake revolution. i have a feeling [unfortunately] with lots of people out of work and bills to pay, we may start seeing even more good stuff appear on the used market.

My current go-fast bike is outfitted with fulcrum quatro carbons, which are most of the peformance of the boras for a little less. since your bike is a shimano rig anyway, i think fulcrum would be more appropriate than campy wheels.

keep your eye out for a pair, and congratulations on sticking with the weight loss program. this corona quarantine has really wrecked my motivation so far and i'm in abysmal cycling shape!

You brought up some good points and i agree on the plummeting market because of Disc as well as economy.

flying
03-29-2020, 03:13 PM

My question is if these are better than what I have now, RT440+Record hubs?

Hi sorry I did not note the weight of your current wheelset

Of course the record hubset is great but I am guessing 32 spoke?

Throw your wheels without tires on a scale
If your not gaining a couple hundred grams lighter benefit on the Zonda's then I would say not worth swapping to Zondas

Personally I dont think carbon ( if not needing aero) offers any advantage over alloy & especially in rim braking but that is just IMO

tuxbailey
03-29-2020, 03:15 PM
Hi sorry I did not note the weight of your current wheelset

Of course the record hubset is great but I am guessing 32 spoke?

Throw your wheels without tires on a scale
If your not gaining a couple hundred grams lighter on the Zonda's then I would say no

Personally I dont think carbon ( if not needing aero) offers any advantage over alloy & especially in rim braking

Yes 32x32.

colker
03-29-2020, 03:32 PM
NOw that you lost weight and you are in shape... why not try a lower and longer stem? And then you move down the brake levers. That would change the feeling of the bike.

tuxbailey
03-29-2020, 04:08 PM
NOw that you lost weight and you are in shape... why not try a lower and longer stem? And then you move down the brake levers. That would change the feeling of the bike.

I do plan to do that. I had the fit done when I was at 210+ and I had a lot of flexibility issues. Now that I have lost 30+ lbs I have gained some flexibility as well as being able to keep my head high (less weight behind the neck.)

Currently the bike has a 17 deg stem. When I bought the bike it had a 6 deg stem. I plan to switch to that and see how it feels.

colker
03-29-2020, 04:13 PM
I do plan to do that. I had the fit done when I was at 210+ and I had a lot of flexibility issues. Now that I have lost 30+ lbs I have gained some flexibility as well as being able to keep my head high (less weight behind the neck.)

Currently the bike has a 17 deg stem. When I bought the bike it had a 6 deg stem. I plan to switch to that and see how it feels.

Try a 110mm -5 degr. w/ a spacer. Level the tip of the brake levers w/ drop of hbar.

tuxbailey
03-29-2020, 04:15 PM
Try a 110mm -5 degr. w/ a spacer. Level the tip of the brake levers w/ drop of hbar.

-5? That seems quite aggressive. Maybe when I do hit 165 I will try that :)

Dino Suegiù
03-29-2020, 04:27 PM

My question is if these are better than what I have now, RT440+Record hubs?

No, Zondas are not better than your current wheelset, and not worth the expense of an upgrade. You have some excellent wheels already, especially since they were built for you by oldpotatoe.

If you are now looking for production versus handbuilts, Shamals perhaps, Boras definitely, would be true upgrade level, in Campagnolo. Fulcrum Racing Quattro, Speed 40C, or Racing Zeros in Shimano. CULT hub bearings are worth it imo.

Dave
03-29-2020, 04:45 PM
It makes little sense to worry about aero wheels if the rider's position is not very aerodynamic. Short high rise stem probably equates to an upright position.

I'm 66, but I still use a 10cm saddle to bar drop. The zondas work great for me. I used to have fulcrum zeros, which are nice and similar to the shamal. I was over 10 years younger then.

ducati2
03-29-2020, 05:16 PM
For that bike I would use Dura Ace 9000 C24. Can be bought for a song used. Light weight, cool looking, excellent hubs. Definitely my favs.

tuxbailey
03-29-2020, 05:23 PM
Perhaps my initial post is a little confusing, but I am not really worry about the aero aspect of the upgrade since I will not be fast enough to make that a factor. A little deeper would be nice functionally as well as aesthetically.

But a new set of wheels that are lighter, make climbing easier, or roll a bit faster from a stop would be nice. That is if every other variables remain the same.

Also, this is a self reward if I can lose another 15 lbs. So weight is a factor if I am upgrading.

eddief
03-29-2020, 05:35 PM
the weight of a bike and a half. you must be flying now. that's how i feel after losing just 10 lbs. a few hundred grams will be nothing compared to what you have lost. why not just enjoy the eternal lightness of being and leave a little weight in your wallet for something more obviously delightful.

tuxbailey
03-29-2020, 06:55 PM
the weight of a bike and a half. you must be flying now. that's how i feel after losing just 10 lbs. a few hundred grams will be nothing compared to what you have lost. why not just enjoy the eternal lightness of being and leave a little weight in your wallet for something more obviously delightful.

Yeah that is a good approach. However this is one of those carrots I am dangling in front of me as a motivation factor.

I can't wait to go back out and ride the commuter route to see how much I have improved. Losing 30+ lbs gotta improve my avg speed by 1/2 a mile :)

Smitty2k1
03-29-2020, 07:10 PM
I'd check out Velomine's website if you're looking to treat yourself to something nice. They build their own wheels and have a lot of nice wheelsets for sale at very reasonable prices. A lot of times they are not 'off the shelf' builds either, so they are unique.

tuxbailey
03-29-2020, 07:12 PM
I'd check out Velomine's website if you're looking to treat yourself to something nice. They build their own wheels and have a lot of nice wheelsets for sale at very reasonable prices. A lot of times they are not 'off the shelf' builds either, so they are unique.

Thanks! Definitely checking them out.

mtechnica
03-29-2020, 08:19 PM
There are some cheap Dura axe wheels in the classifieds, please buy them so I don’t have to.

tuxbailey
03-29-2020, 08:56 PM
There are some cheap Dura axe wheels in the classifieds, please buy them so I don’t have to.

Nice! Probably too deep for what I am looking for. You should get it. They look great.

PS. Also I am not at my goal yet so I will wait. That is unless a set of Bora One 35 show up :)

oldpotatoe
03-30-2020, 06:29 AM
How about..

DT350 laced to DT 411. 20h front, 28h rear using either D-Lite or Laser mixed with Sapim Race drive side rear.

OR Bitex hubs laced to BTLOS carbon hoops using the same spoke mix

Either less than $1000

:)

mcteague
03-30-2020, 06:36 AM
The wheels you already have are top notch. I really don't see new wheels helping you climb any faster. As has been mentioned many times, the bike does not climb by itself, our bodies are along for the ride. So, losing 100 or so grams, given the overall package, gets lost in the noise. Now, if aesthetics are the primary driver here, then, go to town. :banana:

Tim

weisan
03-30-2020, 06:48 AM
The wheels you already have are top notch. I really don't see new wheels helping you climb any faster. As has been mentioned many times, the bike does not climb by itself, our bodies are along for the ride. So, losing 100 or so grams, given the overall package, gets lost in the noise. Now, if aesthetics are the primary driver here, then, go to town. :banana:

Tim

My thoughts exactly.

My personal experience seems to support that.

tuxbailey
03-30-2020, 07:59 AM

Tim

Haha. That is a great point.

I do know that the wheels I got are very nice and any improvements I get with new wheels will fir the law of diminishing return given my abilities.

So I will put in some more thoughts in this.

I got 15 lbs duration to think about :)

tuxbailey
03-30-2020, 08:00 AM
How about..

DT350 laced to DT 411. 20h front, 28h rear using either D-Lite or Laser mixed with Sapim Race drive side rear.

OR Bitex hubs laced to BTLOS carbon hoops using the same spoke mix

Either less than $1000

:)

Thanks. I will definitely talk to you before I buy anything new. But if a set of Bora One 35 shows up in the classified I might have to jump just for my vanity :p

oldpotatoe
03-30-2020, 08:12 AM
Thanks. I will definitely talk to you before I buy anything new. But if a set of Bora One 35 shows up in the classified I might have to jump just for my vanity :p

Absolutely!! Great hubs and great wheels!!

NHAero
03-30-2020, 08:13 AM
FWIW - the Mavics you own are 1,485g according to Mavic. Most of the suggested wheels in this thread are likely at least as heavy. My suggestion is to do what I did, if this matters - pull the wheels and remove tires and tubes and skewers and weigh them. At least you'll have a baseline. My two bare wheelset weights differ by 306g on the same scale, more than would be found by comparing component weights.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=2668687&postcount=105

tuxbailey
03-30-2020, 10:45 AM
Yeah I plan to do that for both wheelsets just get positive confirmation.

pdmtong
03-30-2020, 11:23 AM
Stock Mavic Kysrium ES/SL etc is 1450g-ish

As noted, most wheels in your budget will be that or heavier, perhaps up to 1600g.

So new wheels are NOT a weight saver. I'd agree with the comment that what you have is fine unless you want carbon/aero in which case the best bang for buck choice is Bora One 35

Alternatively the Mavic R-SYS SLR that I recently sold could have merited some consideration - 100g lighter, all black exalith aesthetics, and noticeably better braking than standard aluminum rim.

Tony
03-30-2020, 12:33 PM

Tim

Yea, I would dress up my bike, no real gains outside of aesthetics. If you like the way your bike looks it can be a big motivating factor!
Bikes are simply beautiful toys, my bikes causes similar joy as if I possessed vintage cars.

Irishgirl
03-30-2020, 12:36 PM
That’s awesome and great job!!!

Funny I treated myself to new wheels when I turned 50.

I was grateful for the many threads as it helped when I went to my LBS to have deeper conversations. Super grateful for the patience of those peeps.

I ended up getting the Bontrager carbon wheels weighing a couple of factors one being a better warranty. I also found myself doing analysis by paralysis ...or maybe I said that backwards...anyway I think you get the point.

I’d say the custom fancy wheels sound great and if that’s the top driver on the list then I’d ring up Old Potato and go that route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eddief
03-30-2020, 02:40 PM
fold the playing card around the seat stay so just the tail end sticks into your spokes. use the clothes pin to hold the card in place. then go riding and your bike will have whole new personality.

https://www.purecycles.com/blogs/bicycle-news/diy-motorcycle-noises

and/or handlebar streamers:

https://retroyourride.com/products/rainbow-bright?variant=7619915579451&currency=USD&utm_campaign=gs-2020-02-08&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=Cj0KCQjwsYb0BRCOARIsAHbLPhEHQTW8FEFKpELPZcV5 Iqg4vxLtG5NUZptSEXZl7acqG***ZUzX76caAgddEALw_wcB

tuxbailey
03-30-2020, 08:38 PM
fold the playing card around the seat stay so just the tail end sticks into your spokes. use the clothes pin to hold the card in place. then go riding and your bike will have whole new personality.

https://www.purecycles.com/blogs/bicycle-news/diy-motorcycle-noises

and/or handlebar streamers:

https://retroyourride.com/products/rainbow-bright?variant=7619915579451&currency=USD&utm_campaign=gs-2020-02-08&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=Cj0KCQjwsYb0BRCOARIsAHbLPhEHQTW8FEFKpELPZcV5 Iqg4vxLtG5NUZptSEXZl7acqG***ZUzX76caAgddEALw_wcB

Oh I remember the streamers. They were fun.

tuxbailey
03-30-2020, 09:18 PM
Mavic Ksyrium SL F&R with FSA cloth rim tape.

Weight: 1,594g

https://tuxbailey.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p3873206522-4.jpg
https://tuxbailey.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p3873206518-4.jpg

DT RR440 and Record hubs with tubeless rim tape.

Weight: 1,726g

https://tuxbailey.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p3873206521-4.jpg
https://tuxbailey.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p3873206519-4.jpg

Example of some wheelsets mentioned in this thread, advertised weight without rim tape:

Bora One 35s: 1,405g
Durace C24: 1,453g
Durace C40: 1,508
Fulcrum Quattro: 1,555g
Campagnolo Zonda: 1,540g

From Fairwheel:
Easton 90 SL + DT240 (20/24): 1,440g

From BTLOS':

BLOTS WC35, Bitex hubs, Sapim CX-Ray, Brass Nipples: 1,400.3 +/- 25g
Same wheels with DT240: 1,462.8 +/- 25g
Same wheels wit hDT350: 1,552.8 +/- 25g

DTRR411+ DT350, Sapim CX-Ray 24/28, brass nipples 1,589g.
So I guess my Ksyrium SL is quite light but the Bora and BLOTS will be 150-200g lighter with aero benefits.

runbike8
03-31-2020, 10:44 AM
I have been toying with the idea of selling my black Campy Shamals, within your price range - let me know if those would be of interest

flying
03-31-2020, 12:45 PM

So I guess my Ksyrium SL is quite light but the Bora and BLOTS will be 150-200g lighter with aero benefits.

Well yes those @ 1594 is no problem & especially as you said your not interested in aero then these are more than fine (& stout too) for climbing

You know if you drink coffee :) you will know that 200 grams is a small cup of coffee without the cup ;)

Maybe if you want to reward yourself buy a nice pair of bibs since your losing weight you probably need a new set ;)

tuxbailey
03-31-2020, 01:41 PM
Well yes those @ 1594 is no problem & especially as you said your not interested in aero then these are more than fine (& stout too) for climbing

You know if you drink coffee :) you will know that 200 grams is a small cup of coffee without the cup ;)

Maybe if you want to reward yourself buy a nice pair of bibs since your losing weight you probably need a new set ;)

You know. That is a fair point too.

Porque no los dos ;) ?

tuxbailey
03-31-2020, 01:47 PM
I have been toying with the idea of selling my black Campy Shamals, within your price range - let me know if those would be of interest

Thanks! I will keep that in mind if I do hit my weight target :)

Dino Suegiù
03-31-2020, 04:14 PM
https://tuxbailey.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p3873206522-4.jpg
https://tuxbailey.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p3873206518-4.jpg

DT RR440 and Record hubs with tubeless rim tape.
Weight: 1,726g
https://tuxbailey.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p3873206521-4.jpg
https://tuxbailey.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p3873206519-4.jpg

Example of some wheelsets mentioned in this thread, advertised weight without rim tape:
Bora One 35s: 1,405g
Durace C24: 1,453g
Durace C40: 1,508
Fulcrum Quattro: 1,555g
Campagnolo Zonda: 1,540g

From Fairwheel:
Easton 90 SL + DT240 (20/24): 1,440g

From BTLOS':
BLOTS WC35, Bitex hubs, Sapim CX-Ray, Brass Nipples: 1,400.3 +/- 25g
Same wheels with DT240: 1,462.8 +/- 25g
Same wheels wit hDT350: 1,552.8 +/- 25g

DTRR411+ DT350, Sapim CX-Ray 24/28, brass nipples 1,589g.

You have two very nice, very well-built, weight-verified wheelsets.

Advertised weights of the other wheels mean nothing.
Rather, check the listings section on Weight Weenies or, if the models you are interested in are not listed, ask in the forum. You will receive very precise answers.

The Boras will certainly be lighter, almost all of those will be (some too close to matter), than either of your current wheelsets. But whether or not the weights savings will result in truly noticeably improved performance (all across the board, including comfort, reliability, durability, value/cost, etc.) will be entirely subjective. If yes for you, great.

As far as "aero benefits" are concerned I am not in the "aero camp" at all, do not care, I think even less important than weight/strength, but apparently if one is going to really nit-pick that stuff, then the intended tires really need to be factored in to the equation, in addition to all the other components. I am nether skilled nor obsessed enough to ascertain or even care about those kinds of minimal differences, especially in terms of my wallet.

Dino Suegiù
03-31-2020, 04:35 PM

Either the newer Shamals (G3) or the older Shamal 16-HPW (16/14 spokes) are superb wheels. Many sell them (the older ones) and then later regret it.

But, the older ones especially are not light by any means.
My 2003 Shamal 16-HPW weigh (only the wheels, no tape, skewers, etc) 915g F and 1073g R = 1988g total on my scale. They are bombproof and still spin perfectly.

http://www.oldbici.it/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/campagnolo-shamal-black-16-hpw-700c-clincher-rear-wheel-oldbici-1.jpg

My much more recent 2017 "Shamal Mega G3 Ultra Dark Label" (with the grey logo) definitely weigh less: 611g F and 838g R = 1449g total on my scale. They are fantastic wheels too.

https://d8kboubjyveor.cloudfront.net/catalog/product/cache/image/650x/bcf7ce64d63d93f1f374273bba74938d/1/4/1427686552.png

Tony
03-31-2020, 06:30 PM
Nice! Probably too deep for what I am looking for. You should get it. They look great.

PS. Also I am not at my goal yet so I will wait. That is unless a set of Bora One 35 show up :)

I know these are awesome wheels, however for me the different spoke pattern front and rear ruins the look of a bike. Every bike I've seen with these wheels always could look much better with a matching spoke pattern.

tuxbailey
03-31-2020, 06:52 PM
Thanks all for the input. I will certainly reconsider when the times come. As other noted, my current wheels are quite nice already and I do know for sure that I really won't gain much performance-wise with nicer wheels.

Perhaps I will think about a different reward target. Maybe an electronic group :banana: