PDA

View Full Version : Seat/seatpost and wheel questions on an icy day

Tom
01-14-2007, 09:27 AM
Dang. Just when I have time to ride we get ice overnight.

So...I need a new seat. The old one gives about a half an inch to finger pressure just like a hammock. It's evolved into being all the way back on the rails and when I'm not sitting up I feel like I'm going to fall off the back of it. So... what's a good replacement strategy?

Replace it with one of those fizik's that claim to be very adjustable and do I throw a setback seatpost into the deal, replacing the straight Thomson?

If I go with a seatpost, why are all of them made out of carbon? Can't you get a decent black or silver metal setback seatpost these days?

Do I go for the $650 Campy Neutron deal Colorado Cyclist advertised in the latest catalog?

I had saved up for the erg business to do this month but bike wheels that I won't ride until spring have their siren call. Sheesh.

It's drizzling ice and I just watched 15 squirrels marching south. They're saying we might get a storm tomorrow. I think the squirrels know.

Larry
01-14-2007, 09:42 AM
Your seat choice.......well, you must figure this one out.
I like both the Fizik Arione and Aliante. They work well.
The Arione takes a little time to get used to, but it seems to do the job.

I bought a set of Campy Eurus......1490 grams and they seem rock solid and tough for a large rider. Try 11speed.com for a good price. If you are a light rider, what you have suggested should work fine. It is simple. Campy
makes wheels and components that last. I have never been disappointed.

Rainy, cold, eventually icy here in Dallas with a chilly 33 degrees and dropping.

justinf
01-14-2007, 09:44 AM
Hi Tom--
I have gone through similar motions. I am in the process of converting from several of my older saddles to Fiziks. I like both the Arione and the Aliante. Similarly, I have been moving away from zero setback Thomson posts except on compact geometry frames and MTBs, replacing them with Ritchey WCS, Nitto, and the new Campy Centaur post. These are all good choices--I do prefer the 2 bolt WCS and Nitto to the 1 bolt versions.

Neutrons are awesome wheels. I haven't seen the CC deal but at $450 used, it might be a good time to go new.

cheers, Justin

Larry
01-14-2007, 09:48 AM
Tom,

Be kind to the squirrels. Feed them nuts.
They are sacred creatures in Latvia.

Xyzzy
01-14-2007, 11:05 AM
The CC deal is for both Neutrons and Euruses.

I wish my Euruses weighed 1490g.

I swear Euruses isn't a word, but how do you say Eurus plurally? Euri?

justinf
01-14-2007, 11:09 AM
Can someone please post the link to the CC deal? thanks.

Spicoli
01-14-2007, 11:45 AM
You can get an FSA 280sl aluminium post from Universalcycles for $20 bucks. Super simple one bolt black post with a very nice finish to it. I have one on my IF and am very happy with it. Did I say $20 bucks!

Larry
01-14-2007, 12:06 PM
Totalcycling.com

Campy Neutrons 611.76 including shipping

Campy Eurus 714.68 including shipping

From what I hear, it is a reputable company, even if it
is out of the country.