PDA

View Full Version : Ride Around Lake Tahoe

Steelhead
01-14-2007, 09:11 AM
I'm considering a trip to Tahoe with girlfriend and immediate family to one of two events, either the "America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride" around Lake Taho in June, or the same ride called Tour De Tahoe that takes place in September. They appear to be put on by the same people, as the start/finish and descriptions are the same. The June (AMBBR) is in it's 16th year and capped at 3000 riders, The TDT in Sept. is in its 4th or 5th yr. and capped at 2000 riders.

Anyone had experience with one of both of these? I have done a lot of skiing around Tahoe and have always wanted to ride around the lake. I've got family in Reno so the logistics are perfect for one of these for me.

Thanks !

Lost Weekend
01-14-2007, 09:54 AM
Both Tahoe rides are great. The june ride gets more crowded and you should sign up soon. This has a 100 mile option were the sept. is just 72 miles. also can be alot colder in sept.
You will enjoy either ride for sure.

sellsworth
01-14-2007, 10:33 AM
I've done the America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride a few times and am doing it again this year. AMBBR is a major fundraiser for the Team in Training program for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I am going to ride it with my 10-year old son on our tandem.

The support for the ride is great. The route goes along the west shore past Emerald Bay in the morning and then up to Truckee. On the way to Truckee you ride on a bike path, which is really nice except that it gets real interesting when there are hundreds of other cyclists on it. The ride back down the east shore is again beautiful but you have to be much more careful with traffic because of the narrow shoulders and the volume of traffic. The century doesn't have that much climbing, maybe 2000'-2500' or so. The climb at Emerald Bay is steep but very short. If you plan on departing early, like at 6:00am, make sure to have warm clothes because it will be very cold.

SoCalSteve
01-14-2007, 02:05 PM
I've done the America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride a few times and am doing it again this year. AMBBR is a major fundraiser for the Team in Training program for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I am going to ride it with my 10-year old son on our tandem.

The support for the ride is great. The route goes along the west shore past Emerald Bay in the morning and then up to Truckee. On the way to Truckee you ride on a bike path, which is really nice except that it gets real interesting when there are hundreds of other cyclists on it. The ride back down the east shore is again beautiful but you have to be much more careful with traffic because of the narrow shoulders and the volume of traffic. The century doesn't have that much climbing, maybe 2000'-2500' or so. The climb at Emerald Bay is steep but very short. If you plan on departing early, like at 6:00am, make sure to have warm clothes because it will be very cold.

I did the 72 around the lake last year and there was over 4000' of climbing. It doesnt seem like it, but there are lots of rollers and Spooner is a big hill towards the end. They claim its much less, but my Polar 725 is pretty accurate.

The year we did it, the winds were so bad that it felt like we had headwinds for all 72 miles.

Now for the positives..Its quite beautiful and a very nice and well supported ride. If you go in June, the Team In Training people (I am a retired TNT coach) will be out there in force as it is a National event for them. The cheering that they do is enough to get you through it, if you get tired.

Good luck, its a fun ride and I would do it again but it's a long a$$ drive to Tahoe from LA...

Steve

Steelhead
01-14-2007, 03:44 PM
The headwinds don't sound like much fun but other than that, it sounds great! Anybody else??

SoCalSteve
01-14-2007, 08:05 PM
The headwinds don't sound like much fun but other than that, it sounds great! Anybody else??

I have heard in years before and after I did it, that the weather was more cooperative and the winds were at a minimum.

Have fun!

Steve

Martunez
01-14-2007, 10:31 PM
I did the June ride several years ago. It's very well supported, and of course the scenery is spectacular. The first climb up toward Emerald Bay is steeper, but the final major climb up to Spooner is longer (six miles) and, since it's at the end of the day, it really took a lot out of me. The descent was great, though.

Overall, I rate this ride very highly. Do it!

steve
01-16-2007, 11:10 AM
I echo previous posts. My wife and I did the ride last year and loved it. We also skied in the area but never saw Lake Tahoe in the summer.

Coming from the East coast, we arrived several days earlier just to acclimate to the altitude.

I thought I read somewhere that the difference between the two rides is the direction of travel, one is clockwise and the other is counterclockwise around the lake.

Satellite
01-16-2007, 02:45 PM
Don't forget your Mnt Bike. Mr. Toads Wild Ride and the Flume even if you have to rent a mountain bike worth it.

Bruce H.
01-16-2007, 09:42 PM
I did it for Leukemia society several years ago. It certainly lived up to its name. The whole trip was great with the society doing everything from hotel to meals and even getting the bike both ways. All you need to do is bring in the money for a wonderful charity. Good Luck
Bruce H.

Zard
01-17-2007, 01:04 AM
You could consider the Death Ride too.(Ithink it is now called the Tour of the California Alps.) Beautiful views, well supported, etc. It's usually the second weekend in July. 129 miles and 16,000 feet of climbing. An epic day of riding.