PDA

View Full Version : Mid-Range Direct Drive Smart Trainer Choices

scoobydrew
03-28-2020, 03:10 PM
I'm looking to get a mid-range ($500-750) direct drive smart trainer for a combination of Zwift and one of the structured training programs (Trainerroad, Sufferfest, etc.).

There's some good sales right now, and I've narrowed it down to the following:
KICKR Core
Elite Direto X
Cycleops Hammer (H1/Gen 1)

Looking at the specs, the last one technically isn't considered a mid-range model, but the sale price puts it in this bracket. The biggest disadvantage I've come across with the Hammer is the noise. Don't really care about weight and they're all fairly similar from a max power threshold and accuracy standpoint.

Thoughts on the above options?

Lastly, it seems that I can get away with cheaper options, but the simulated max gradient (closer to 10-15%) and max power (~1500W) thresholds are lower. Is it really beneficial to have more than that for Zwift and training purposes?

kppolich
03-28-2020, 03:20 PM
Your timing is perfect. Spring is coming and people are offloading their used stuff for cheap. I would have you find a Kickr, 2nd generation or newer and be on your way. Quiet, reliable, easy to change parts and TA compatible.

$500-650 all day if you look on craigslist, facebook groups, or maybe even here.

1500w and gradients......
If you can put out over 1500w, do it on the road where it matters. Most gradients and resistance from zwift adjusts nicely from 3-12% then it's just the same amount of hard from 13% to 20% no matter if the trainer difficulty setting in zwift.

I'd avoid the hammer an kickr core. Loud hammer and core has issues unique to itself. Gen1 kickers are loud too, so go for Gen2 or newer. You might be able to find a Gen1 Tacx Neo as well.

BobC
03-28-2020, 03:29 PM
Funnily enough I was looking at doing the exact same thing.

Kinetic is running a 30% sale. R1s are normally $950, now $665
- No idea if they are any good.

Quiet is key for me. Don't care about the whole elevation/tilting.

trener1
03-28-2020, 03:37 PM
I have seen the hammer recently in the $500-600 range, if noise is not a big worry I would 100% go with that, it has the largest fly wheel (in that price point) so it will give you the best road feel.

trener1
03-28-2020, 03:39 PM
As far as max power and gradients, well only you can say if the 1500 watt max power is not good enough for you :)

And I don't think the max gradients are that important, but what out there is cheaper then what you mentioned?.

tuxbailey
03-28-2020, 03:47 PM
You should try checking with forum member Avispa to see if he has any Kickr available. Quite a few forum members has gotten ones from him.

I got my Gen 4 from him last winter at a price that many people are selling used Gen 1/2 for.

Edit: The ones I got is new and has full warranty.