PDA

View Full Version : Chloral splash-less bleach

gasman
03-28-2020, 02:50 PM
Just a PSA

We always keep a store of several bottles bleach and laundry detergent at home-even before this pandemic.
My wife pulled down a new bottle yesterday but when she poured some out for a laundry load and there was a precipitate of some kind suspended in the liquid. I searched online and finally ended up looking at the MSDS. This product has an unknown amount of sodium hypochlorite (1-5 %)-the chemical that disinfects. it has some sodium hydroxide (.1-1%) to make the pH more basic. However it's a trade secret how much there is of each chemical. Regular bleach is 6 % sodium hypochlorite.

So, if you want to really clean surfaces don't use the splash-less formulation, rather use regular bleach-4tsp/quart of water.

Idris Icabod
03-28-2020, 06:10 PM
I believe you make bleach by bubbling chlorine gas into sodium hydroxide solution? I think the sodium hydroxide is always going to be present although I'm surprised it precipitated out of water.

bigbill
03-28-2020, 06:20 PM
We've been using a 10% bleach solution to disinfect at work. I've got a pallet of pool chemicals too, basically highly concentrated bleach. One of ChemE's made a table showing how much of each type is added to get a 10% solution. We're using quart spray bottles.

OtayBW
03-28-2020, 06:37 PM
I believe you make bleach by bubbling chlorine gas into sodium hydroxide solution? I think the sodium hydroxide is always going to be present although I'm surprised it precipitated out of water.You may have dropped the pH enough to precipitate out a little NaCl.