PDA

View Full Version : Saddles and Setback

keno
01-14-2007, 07:32 AM
I'm always looking for more setback possibilities. I had a solution until last week in an Oval seatpost that claimed up to 50mm of setback, but it fractured in the setback area on a ride and I won't push my luck with another one. I could have a posty made, but what's his name in PA (just can't remember, too lazy to look up) was uncomfortable with 50mm and can't do the post in black anyhow, and my aesthetic sense won't accomodate any other finish.

Are there any quality saddles that, by their construction, offer more setback by reason of the placement of the rails in relation to the seat? I've used the San Marco Regal, the one with the silver rivets, for years and it keeps my butt and parts happy, so something with its width would be wanted in my case. My sit bones geometry seems to be non-negotiable.

Thanks,

keno

saab2000
01-14-2007, 07:35 AM
Most modern saddles have longer rails. Look at Fizik. You can really place those far back on the seatpost.

Smiley
01-14-2007, 07:41 AM
what's his name is Albert Bold of Bold Precision. I wish I could come up with somebody else that made custom seat posts with a bigger set back .

BdaGhisallo
01-14-2007, 09:53 AM
Take a look at the PMP farther back seatpost.

http://www.pmpbike.net/bike.php/p-6x41x194/codsart-153/page-1/Extra-Seat-Back-Titanium-Seat-post.htm

I use the regular setback version, in both ti and carbon shafts, and it is an excellent product. I know others on the board also use them.

alancw3
01-14-2007, 09:54 AM
in my mind if someone needs more setback than 25cm then they have the wrong top tube size on their bike. too much weight on the rear tire will provide a bike that is poorly balanced.

Dave
01-14-2007, 10:30 AM
in my mind if someone needs more setback than 25cm then they have the wrong top tube size on their bike. too much weight on the rear tire will provide a bike that is poorly balanced.

Moving the saddle back is not the way to make up for a short TT. A long stem would be the answer to that problem. Needing a lot of seapost setback means the seat tube angle is wrong. I assume the poster is attempting to get his knee either directly over the pedal, or just further back (variety of reasons).

I agree that too much weight on the rear will adersely affect handling, but it would only be noticeable during extreme cornering.

keno
01-14-2007, 11:08 AM
saab, I have riden a fizik, not sure which model, and it wasn't for me; unfortunately, it was on a bike loaned to me while on a trip and the ride ended up being about 60 miles. It was too narrow for me. What models might I consider?

alan, Dave is correct in his statement, at least in part. First, I have long femurs, and second, I have knee problems. Both speak to setback. Also, I'm not sure what TT length has to do with my issue. Had you said seatpost angle, that's another story, but mine is a relaxed 70.7 deg already and probably as far back as Kelly Bedford would want to take me, but do not know for sure. I'm not talking about a large additional setback, just a few mms. I find my ability to produce power comes from a further back position as I am a slow twitch guy and high spin is not in my future.

Bda, I own that seatpost and despite what they call it, it's not that far back. Besides, how different manufacturers "measure" setback is always a mystery issue in my own experience.

keno

saab2000
01-14-2007, 11:18 AM
saab, I have riden a fizik, not sure which model, and it wasn't for me; unfortunately, it was on a bike loaned to me while on a trip and the ride ended up being about 60 miles. It was too narrow for me. What models might I consider?

I do not have a Fizik, but I have considered an Aliante. They look good. FWIW, FSA makes a setback post with lots of setback.

Kevin
01-14-2007, 11:22 AM
Keno,

I can sympathize. My STA is 71 for the same reasons set forth in your post. Selcof manufactures several posts with significant setback. In addition, Bold Prescion will custom manufacture. I have done both in conjunction with the Fizik Alliante saddle.

Kevin

keno
01-14-2007, 11:49 AM
I own the FSA, as well.

My Easton EC70 has more setback than the PMP and a tiny bit less than the FSA. I've concluded that until you get a setback on the bike, you don't know what you have, particularly once tilt gets into the story.

The one that would work and would be strong is one called the Hellbent, which William recommended. Unfortunately, it needs more post exposed than my setup requires. Sounds like it's time for a new frame with a bit more TT slope.

Kevin, would you do me the favor of measuring your fizik at its widest dimension at the back. Thanks.

keno

atmo
01-14-2007, 01:58 PM
...but mine is a relaxed 70.7 deg already<cut>

keno what is the saddle (nose) setback on your bicycle?

tv_vt
01-14-2007, 03:09 PM
I'm not sure there's a difference in setback, but FSA makes an aluminum post, the SL-220, that has pretty good setback. May be the same amount as their carbon post, but may be stronger. I'm using both of their posts (carbon, alum) on various bikes.

keno
01-14-2007, 04:17 PM
I have the carbon FSA, the setback model.

atmo, how do I measure that?

keno

atmo
01-14-2007, 04:25 PM
I have the carbon FSA, the setback model.

atmo, how do I measure that?

keno
with a ruler?
badaboom.

drop a plumbline from the saddle nose.
measure from it (a vertical) to bb centerpoint atmo.
in your frame size and with a 70.7 sta i would guess
it's gonna be a large-ish number, sorta' like 15cm.

swoop
01-14-2007, 04:26 PM
drop a straight line/plumb bob from the nose of your saddle down. measure the distance to the center of your bottom bracket. that is called setback.
make sure the bike is on level ground.

*edit: erichie reads my mind, man.

atmo
01-14-2007, 04:31 PM
but have a sandwich first.

SoCalSteve
01-14-2007, 04:33 PM
but have a sandwich first.

Pastrami on rye?

atmo
01-14-2007, 04:35 PM
Pastrami on rye?
i say keno is a 2nd ave deli guy,
longing for the halcyon days.

manet
01-14-2007, 05:12 PM
i say keno is a 2nd ave deli guy,
longing for the halcyon days.

he was a it's grand opening.

nowadays he enjoys the thrill of
peeing fat after having burnt
ends @ R.U.B.

atmo
01-14-2007, 05:33 PM
he was a it's grand opening.

nowadays he enjoys the thrill of
peeing fat after having burnt
ends @ R.U.B.
how do you measure deep fried oreos atmo?

keno
01-14-2007, 08:28 PM
today a glass of hot tea.

BTW, thought 2nd Avenue Deli went the way of all flaish.

keno

atmo
01-14-2007, 08:36 PM
today a glass of hot tea.

BTW, thought 2nd Avenue Deli went the way of all flaish.

keno
hence the mention of the halcyon days atmo.
jackie mason. shecky greene. abe lebewohl...

keno
01-15-2007, 05:18 AM
my own experience stopped at Halcion, my favorite sleep med taken off the market just because it was blamed for a few axe murders.

Still later with the measuring.

keno

djg
01-15-2007, 07:29 AM
LOOK, LOOK, LOOK

I have no fit advice for you, but as to the mechanical question of how to get more setback without chucking your frame or your saddle, I'm pretty sure that the Look ergopost offers a ton of fore/aft adjustability and that it's maximum setback position gives you quite a bit more setback than most (if not all) of the stock options.

Here's a picture of one on my bike (and this pic does not show the max setback):

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=17441&highlight=colnago

johnmdesigner
01-15-2007, 07:59 AM
But it has a lot of setback. I still have one in 27.2. It's not super long though.
Pm me if you want it.
It also a great self-defense weapon. :D

flydhest
01-15-2007, 08:00 AM
hey old man,
If you make down this way, I have two differen Fiziks you can try on for size. Did you ride one of mine last time? I have the Arione and the Aliante. The latter, I can live with out. The former, is pretty good for my tush.

keno
01-15-2007, 08:15 AM
survey says 12.5cm, +/-. Was out of plumbs, so I tied a piece of twine around a herring.

Thanks, Johnm. I actually lifted a 26.8 off fly. Wouldn't sit still in the ST clamp. Returned to sender. Will the 27.2 fit? I sometimes have trouble getting the 27 to cooperate. (Right, fly, the lube. You're a funny man, but we have to work on timing.)

fly, is it on the CSi? Otherwise, I wasn't aware of the saddle, which is a good thing, but couldn't identify it in a Duke Lacrosse Team style lineup.

keno

SPOKE
01-15-2007, 08:18 AM
may have found a seat post for you. take a look at a Titec "El Norte Bent". it offers 50mm of setback and may be a bit more sturdy than the Oval you had. :beer:

atmo
01-15-2007, 08:20 AM
sumtin's awry atmo.
i betchoo 70.7sta is the shallowest of any frame
owned by those reading, and you need to get
further back still? 12.5 isn't that much in the
scheme of things, though it is a far back amount
compared to most. last question before i finish
my bagel and nap: what is the frame's setback?
it should be on the build sheet atmo?

RonW87
01-15-2007, 08:25 AM
Like here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-TRUVATIV-XR-SINGLE-CLAMP-SEAT-POST-27-2-NEW_W0QQitemZ220070931007QQihZ012QQcategoryZ106951 QQcmdZViewItem

keno
01-15-2007, 08:42 AM
18mm setback? +10 offset, if I understand what they mean. I've already got 35mm. But thanks.

Spoke, I'll look for el norte bent later. Thanks.

keno

flydhest
01-15-2007, 09:05 AM
keno,
yeah, on the CSi was the Arione. I don't recall your opinion of it. I also have an Aliante.

Dave
01-15-2007, 09:48 AM
I've been using the Fizik Gobi for several years now. It's the most comfortable saddle I've ever used and it has extra long rails. The shape is different thatn most popular road saddles,being moe more rounded from side to side in the sitbone area. Most others I've tried are relatively flat across the top with too sharply radiused corners. IMO, shape is a lot more important than width.

This saddle is also curved from front to back. For me, a comfortable angle is established by setting the nose about 1cm lower than the tail. I place a small torpedo level on the tail of the saddle, hold the level it a true horizontal positin and measure the 1cm gap down to the nose. This creates a low spot somewhere toward the middle.

keno
01-15-2007, 04:17 PM
I've consulted with experts, run the numbers, and I've isolated the issue. I'm going with a recumbent.

keno

atmo
01-15-2007, 04:27 PM
I've consulted with experts, run the numbers, and I've isolated the issue. I'm going with a recumbent.

keno
you go (http://www.recumbent.com/girl2.jpg) keno atmo!

flydhest
01-16-2007, 07:27 AM
IMO, shape is a lot more important than width.

keeping telling yourself that . . . :D

Xyzzy
01-18-2007, 09:43 AM

atmo
01-18-2007, 09:57 AM
klueless in kazachstan atmo.