PDA

View Full Version : Compatiblity ?: Inset 7 with a straight 1 1/8 fork

joosttx
03-28-2020, 01:24 PM
Hi, I have a 44mm head tube with a Chirs King inset 7 headset for tapered steering tubes. I want to use a fork with a 1-1/8 straight head tube with this configuration. How do I do this? Do I buy a Devolution 1-1/2 to 1-1/8 stainless steel base plate? Is that all I need?

tuscanyswe
03-28-2020, 01:32 PM
Hi, I have a 44mm head tube with a Chirs King inset 7 headset for tapered steering tubes. I want to use a fork with a 1-1/8 straight head tube with this configuration. How do I do this? Do I buy a Devolution 1-1/2 to 1-1/8 stainless steel base plate? Is that all I need?

Yes that is what u do

I did same but with a 1.250 fork

The 11/8 fork crown will look a blt slim in comparison to the large inset7 lower cup but otherwise there should be no dissadvantges

hollowgram5
03-28-2020, 01:36 PM
Yes. I did the same on my TI TwinSix with a 1-1/8 steel fork.. it doesn't look too bad, but it is different..

joosttx
03-28-2020, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the confirming and advice. This will be a second fork and a rack.

oldfatslow
10-02-2020, 01:42 PM
If you did this, why not go with a Cane Creek 110 which can be had with 44mm top and bottom for straight steerer? Why stay with King with devolution?

I'm not throwing shade -- genuinely asking as I need to choose Chis King Inset 7 + Devolution or Cane Creek 110 and wondering why should I go CK with Devoution (which seems non-standard to bike frame I'm building)?

Can someone post a picture of their bike with a Devolution in use?

joosttx
10-02-2020, 01:57 PM
If you did this, why not go with a Cane Creek 110 which can be had with 44mm top and bottom for straight steerer? Why stay with King with devolution?

I'm not throwing shade -- genuinely asking as I need to choose Chis King Inset 7 + Devolution or Cane Creek 110 and wondering why should I go CK with Devoution (which seems non-standard to bike frame I'm building)?

Can someone post a picture of their bike with a Devolution in use?

Bc you can use the same headset and use two forks with different steering tubes just by using the correct baseplate on the forks. It’s an easy solve if ya know what parts you need.

oldfatslow
10-02-2020, 02:18 PM
Does the devolution alter in any way the frame/fork geo characteristics?

Is there any additional stress placed upon the frame when a devolution is used?

Pegoready
10-02-2020, 03:18 PM
Does the devolution alter in any way the frame/fork geo characteristics?

Is there any additional stress placed upon the frame when a devolution is used?

No on both counts. The devo baseplate is just a bagel with a smaller hole. More carbohydrates but the same height, and the frame is isolated from it via the headset bearings so it doesn't affect the frame.