PDA

View Full Version : All Road Tires?

dbnm
03-28-2020, 11:53 AM
Sorry if this has been asked, but is there one tires that is good at both pavement and some light gravel?

I am looking at the Schwable G-One Speed (https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/G-ONE_Speed) and I am looking for tubeless.

mass_biker
03-28-2020, 12:00 PM
The "file tread" ones. Great on the road. And I have taken them on light and not-so-light gravel. If the trail is super sandy in the corners, they don't have a lot of knobby stuff for traction, but for my wimpy ways - they do great. I think they also come tubeless (but I've been running the tubed versions).

robt57
03-28-2020, 12:02 PM
Hutchinson Override I have I like for mostly pave, especially good on bad broken up pave and with some air let out the edges do a decent job on dirt a long as not too slimy. And quite light too.

But when I say slimy, it may be more slimy than some folk's definition. If you can ride on ice and are proficient on rollers, perhaps slimy is not as bad as it could be. So it is relative...

Having said that, if dots or minimal tread on a tire, once it packs with wet material, be it dirt or gravel dust, slimy...

But if I had to just have one tire on a bike that does well with just PSI adjustments with fewer compromises in quite varied use, it would be the tubeless Hutch Overrides. I run 35s.

I did have 40 Refuses on for a season, and they did the float thing better due to size, the got some real pork. Heavy, and took a lot of punctures, although all sealed. Would not consider using those with tube base on all the wet dots and sealed puncture while tubeless.

R3awak3n
03-28-2020, 12:29 PM
I think for light gravel you don't need a special tire, pretty much a nice road tire with more volume will do the trick. I like Rene herse, say a bon jon is nice. Will be fast on road and fast on light gravel.

kgbianchi
03-28-2020, 03:48 PM
I think for light gravel you don't need a special tire, pretty much a nice road tire with more volume will do the trick. I like Rene herse, say a bon jon is nice. Will be fast on road and fast on light gravel.

^^^^^This^^^^^

AngryScientist
03-28-2020, 03:52 PM
again, i agree with R3 above!

that said, i'm rolling on those g-one speed tires you mentioned, and yes, they are very good.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Ai6gDckH4yw/XnU7KpHdMzI/AAAAAAAADko/SpYKDHJTszw0-XPZgsD2ojRihhBQ00uiwCLcBGAsYHQ/s1200/IMG_2670.jpg

ORMojo
03-28-2020, 04:04 PM
I've been running the Schwalbe G-One Speed (S-One) 30mm Tubeless mounted on HUNT 4Season Aero V2 on my Alliance for almost three years now, and am very happy with them.

quehill
03-28-2020, 07:01 PM
The Vittoria Terreno Dry is also a very good tire on the road. It rides supple, which I realize is a weird adjective for a big honking tire like this, but it’s the truth. It doesn’t have the tread for serious (steep or deep) gravel riding, but for good to crappy roads and hardpacked dirt it works great.

KVN
03-28-2020, 07:29 PM
I have about 2k miles on the 27.5 G-One Speeds. Awesome tire. Reliable and fast. Feel real good on gravel when you drop the pressure.

dbnm
03-28-2020, 09:09 PM
Thanks All!

okayku
03-28-2020, 09:14 PM
Panaracer Gravelkings for light gravel or the Graveling SKs if you need a little more traction

Kyle h
03-29-2020, 06:35 AM
Honestly, I’m a big fan of fat slicks for road/light gravel. The Specialized Roubaix Pro 2bliss have a surprising amount of capability and roll pretty fast. I did Belgian Waffle Ride and a bunch of other gravel rides on them and the only place they really hurt is the slick mud. I recently threw on a set of Rene Herse EL Barlow Pass and they feel fantastic, super supple, super fast. Can’t comment on how the hold up on rough stuff though.

Hilltopperny
03-29-2020, 07:46 AM
I have run all kinds of tires for your intended purpose. GK slicks are durable, set up tubeless easy and grip pretty good for multi surface rides and are probably the most affordable if you shop in the right places. I ran Schwalbe G one all round that were also pretty good, but seemed to wear out a bit faster.

I currently have Compass Bon Jons on my 700c wheels and aside from multiple flats when set up tubed over some sharper small gravel they have been excellent. I haven’t had an issue since and they really ride well on the road and dirt out here.
I had issues trying to set them up tubeless, but have heard they have worked that out in the later runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbh
03-29-2020, 08:58 AM
I'm also using the Rene Herse Bon Jon Pass. Had a bit of bad luck with a flat/slice on my first ride which had me a little concerned about durability but otherwise my experience has been good. They feel pretty fast and I've got about 750 miles without any other problems.

weiwentg
03-29-2020, 09:16 AM

Last year, I did 75-mile event with probably 20-30 miles of dirt roads on 25mm Conti GP 4ks, so yeah, i agree. If for some reason I had mounted some really delicate TT tires, I’d take those off.