PDA

View Full Version : adding (temporary?) black coating to AL rims?

wallymann
03-27-2020, 05:06 PM
preface: i'm vain.

just laced up a new archetype front wheel with full black anodization, looks the business.

but the "matching" rear archetype i picked up a few months back started its life with full black anodization, but has more than a few miles on it and the anodization has been worn off the brake tracks.

i know the front anodization will *eventually* wear off to match, the non-matchy-matchy situation just makes my eyes hurt.

aside from using a mega sharpie to add some temporary blackness to the rear archetype brake-tracks...are there mo-bettah AL coloring/coating options to achieve same?

wallymann
03-27-2020, 05:12 PM
i think i found something intewesting! sample order on monday...should be enough for 1 rim.

https://www.epi.com/black-oxide/aluminum/room/insta-blak-a-384/

IJWS
03-27-2020, 05:55 PM
That looks useful. I would go for the 5 gallon pail.

wallymann
03-27-2020, 06:15 PM
meh...reading more about application and it's properties once applied...seem about like sharpie, but in a bucket applied with a sponge!

anything else?

jtbadge
03-27-2020, 06:28 PM
Or just ride in the rain a couple of times and the anodizing will come right off the new rim.

wallymann
03-27-2020, 06:34 PM
does it really wear off that fast? old school anodization from the 80s took quite a while to wear off -- even using modolo sintered brake blocks.

Or just ride in the rain a couple of times and the anodizing will come right off the new rim.

Hindmost
03-27-2020, 06:42 PM

Used to be a badge of honor. Showed you could descend dangerous mountain passes in the rain.

(I always thought the breaking improved after the anodization was worn away.)

wallymann
04-18-2020, 09:45 AM
went around a couple times per side, using a sharpie magnum.

i'm sure it'll come off with the first brake application or puddle-crossing, but still...from 5 feet away it looks the business!

Tony T
04-18-2020, 10:04 AM
The answer is Disc Brakes, otherwise, take a ride in the rain and embrace the silver brake track :banana:

saf-t
04-18-2020, 01:02 PM
i think i found something intewesting! sample order on monday...should be enough for 1 rim.

https://www.epi.com/black-oxide/aluminum/room/insta-blak-a-384/

I can see from the pic that it's corrosive- recommend splash goggles, gloves, and being *really* attentive when using it......