PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk modern mixte (special snowflake build)

polyhistoric
03-27-2020, 08:19 AM
I have been tasked with building up a Mixte/stepthru city bike with a child seat on a back rack. Upright position, swept-back bars.

I do not want to resto-mod an older frame (we have one currently) - many reasons, including most of the older Raleigh, Peugeot, etc. are not built to take the weight of the rack/child on back. Do not want a modern hybrid. Also trying to avoid the Dutch City Bike style as they are generally heavy, lower quality parts, not as customizable. Finally, not in a place to drop $1600+ on a full-custom frame, but there are some great builders out there who would do a step-thru.

I have identified the Soma Buena Vista and Handsome She-Devil as available off-the-rack frames and builds. It looks like Horse cycles used to offer something, but not currently and... I do not know if the Linus and Public options are worthwhile. Anyone with experience or input on these as build options. Budnitz is out of the price range.

Anything I am missing? Anyone holding something looking for a new home?

(Kicking myself for not jumping on that used Sycip a couple years ago).

CDollarsign
03-27-2020, 08:28 AM
While I don't have a Public Mixte, I do have two of their dutch bikes and think they are rather well built for the cost. They are frequently on sale, so I would watch out for those.

I bought them 3 years ago for my wife and I to pull our son in a Burley trailer. Now that he can ride a bike on his own I find myself picking the Public to ride around park trails with him and its really fun to ride.

Burning Pines
03-27-2020, 10:39 PM
Velo Orange had some pics on instagram recently of what looked like a mixte Polyvalent. Honestly can't see a reason not to get the soma though, it looks nice.

miguel
03-27-2020, 11:29 PM
Bro wait like a week for the new velo orange frame

I saw it

oldpotatoe
03-28-2020, 05:05 AM
I have been tasked with building up a Mixte/stepthru city bike with a child seat on a back rack. Upright position, swept-back bars.

I do not want to resto-mod an older frame (we have one currently) - many reasons, including most of the older Raleigh, Peugeot, etc. are not built to take the weight of the rack/child on back. Do not want a modern hybrid. Also trying to avoid the Dutch City Bike style as they are generally heavy, lower quality parts, not as customizable. Finally, not in a place to drop $1600+ on a full-custom frame, but there are some great builders out there who would do a step-thru.

I have identified the Soma Buena Vista and Handsome She-Devil as available off-the-rack frames and builds. It looks like Horse cycles used to offer something, but not currently and... I do not know if the Linus and Public options are worthwhile. Anyone with experience or input on these as build options. Budnitz is out of the price range.

Anything I am missing? Anyone holding something looking for a new home?

(Kicking myself for not jumping on that used Sycip a couple years ago).

Talk to Richard Schwinn...When at the shop, we had Richard build 2 or 3 Mixte frames for customers and they were beautiful.

I also sold both Public and Linus..also really great products..

polyhistoric
03-28-2020, 05:16 PM
I'm not seeing the VO on insta... - old Polyvalent still sold out. WOuld love to see a new, disc version. Will keep the hunt on. Thanks all!

exapkib
03-28-2020, 05:22 PM
We found a used Buena Vista for a good price a while back, and my wife loves it. Great frame that can handle a load and looks good doing it.

Our has logged many miles pulling the trailer, and is now the preferred whip of our oldest child (where does the time go?).

Good luck in the search!

AngryScientist
03-28-2020, 05:27 PM
i have no input, but have you guys seen this little beauty? been floating around on ebay forever, looking for it's forever home. they need to drop the price so someone can build something fun out of this one...

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/~5EAAOSwbJheVy03/s-l1200.jpg

edward12
03-28-2020, 05:27 PM
You mean something like this?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200328/00606b9c20ec17c24e601ebe79423972.jpg

Seriously, I found a Steve Rex frame on Craigslist and had Steve refinish the frame. I built it up with a Nexus 8 speed hub and microshift bar end shifter. My wife loves the 650b format.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jtakeda
03-28-2020, 06:12 PM
used rivendell?

edward12
03-28-2020, 06:35 PM
It’s a Steve Rex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken Robb
03-28-2020, 06:41 PM
Rivendell has new mixte frame/fork with HS and BB for about $900 I think.

saab2000
03-28-2020, 08:41 PM
What is a “snowflake build”?

p nut
03-28-2020, 09:31 PM
Rivendells are nice. Cheviot is a mixte but new frames are $1,400. Check for used on rbw owners group and ibob.
Also check Clem L step through. Brand new are $1,600 but they sell out fast. And with this whole covid thing, not sure when they’re going to get a new shipment.

But honestly, any bike will do the job. Get a proper child seat and you can bolt it onto most bikes.

https://m.albeebaby.com/thule-ridealong-bike-seat-light-grey.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=googlepla&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6_vzBRCIARIsAOs54z4hsb7NBonsgHWkvwMD 8ZHVP6PkpSUtPJ1wAk61nsad_TV3AT4nSBgaAlUVEALw_wcB

oldpotatoe
03-29-2020, 06:35 AM
What is a “snowflake build”?

Good question...:bike:

NHAero
03-29-2020, 08:12 AM
The Soma looks pretty nice. Room for fat tires, disc brakes, real split tube mixte.

polyhistoric
03-29-2020, 09:55 AM
Special snowflake = many requests, unique to the intended owner.

My wife loves her old Raleigh mixte, but the lugged and brazed seattube cluster and thin-walled stays don't bode well for the weight and torsions from a baby seat on a rack.

That Rex is gorgeous. If I could go full custom for her, it would be this...

https://breadwinnercycles.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/ArborLodge_PinkDi2_PRO-1-1024x683.jpg

https://breadwinnercycles.com/2016/03/30/photo-set-nahbs-winning-arbor-lodge/

stien
03-29-2020, 10:06 AM
Is changing from a rack mounted child carrier to a frame mounted one a possibility?

I've got a Thule Yepp Maxi that clamps to the seat tube on an older frame. Easy as pie. No need to go nuts on a custom frame that can accommodate the weight, unless you really want to!

eddief
03-29-2020, 10:40 AM
as I understand it done by Nobilette for Rivendell:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cufg237YcP9DXpjB6