PDA

View Full Version : JP Weigle info. request

sailorboy
01-14-2007, 05:45 AM
Forgive my ignorance and a rather general question, but I am considering a used but great condition Weigle frame from the mid 80's. Although I know his work is well-respected and influential to many other great builders, including some on this forum, I have never put a leg over one or even seen one in person. So, are there any threads here, links to other info. or pics that may show some of the highlights of the man's work? When I google it I usually get a lot of links to the framesaver product. Can't even find a website for the builder.

Thanks!

Peter P.
01-14-2007, 06:32 AM
Peter doesn't have a website. He has enough work to keep him busy without one! That should be a testimony to his reputation. Peter builds all types of frames, randonneur, touring, racing, ATB.

I've had several frames repaired/repainted by him-he's very personable, honest, fair priced, and just an all-around nice person. Oh; his frames: There's no magic here-they're built straight, and they'll ride as well as any of the many quality frames built by the custom builders here in the U.S.

Here's a link to Kirk Pacenti's web site, which shows some examples of Peter's lug work:

http://www.bikelugs.com/pacentigallery/weigle01_gallery/index.html

Here's a brief introduction to Peter, from the Cirque du Cyclisme bike show:

http://www.raydobbins.com/cirque/seminars_06.htm

And if you search this web site, you'll find more pictures of his frames, as he's attended past shows, as well as being a Best of Show winner one year:

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Cirque.htm

sailorboy
01-14-2007, 07:55 AM
Peter,
This is just the kind of thing I was looking for. I knew of the Richie/Witcomb connection, but not much more. Thanks a bunch for the links.

ChrisK
01-14-2007, 08:43 AM
Here is a post on my blog (http://velo-orange.blogspot.com/2006/07/todays-herse.html) about one of his bikes that won "Best of Show" at Cirque". Be sure to follow the link for the rest of the photos.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7618/732/640/Cirque_06_Best_of_show_011.jpg
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7618/732/1600/Cirque_06_Best_of_show_013.jpg

palincss
01-14-2007, 10:21 AM
Forgive my ignorance and a rather general question, but I am considering a used but great condition Weigle frame from the mid 80's. Although I know his work is well-respected and influential to many other great builders, including some on this forum, I have never put a leg over one or even seen one in person. So, are there any threads here, links to other info. or pics that may show some of the highlights of the man's work? When I google it I usually get a lot of links to the framesaver product. Can't even find a website for the builder.

Thanks!

Here's one, very new, that I posted a picture of the other day:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=298643#post298643
That headlug is totally, typically, JP Weigle.

dash
01-14-2007, 10:22 AM
sailorboy(?),

do a simple search for "weigle" and get 25 photos:
http://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/main.php

also, here's some good pics of jpw's 2005 Cirque show bike:
http://www.classicrendezvous.com/USA/Weigle_peter/Randoneur_Cirq05.htm

don't know what you're considering but getting a vintage frame refreshed by the man is always an option.

jpw is a master of bringing together details to make the whole much, much more than a sum of the parts.

big shanty
01-14-2007, 02:06 PM
here is a mid-80s Weigle frame that billrick recently sold:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=21150

sailorboy
01-15-2007, 08:03 AM
Thanks everyone for the response and links. Peter is truely a master, and I would be proud to own and ride this frame when it comes my way. I forgot to mention that part of the deal I am trying to make also includes an e-richie complete bike from about '02. It is supposed to be one of atmo's personal bikes that was used for pics in the website. I guess that is a little like having Davinci and Michaelangelo working on frescos on opposite walls in your palace, no? Gonna pull the trigger on this and hope to get lucky.

billrick
01-16-2007, 08:41 AM
If it won't cause any financial duress or marital frictions, DO IT! I still get twangs of regret when I see photos of my old red and white 1986 Weigle, and the frame never fit me. The frame found a good home in Los Angeles and should be at Joe Bell's place now, waiting for new paint.

Steve P. - Do you have any more photos of that awesome brick red Weigle? Looks like a 650B?

:)

catulle
01-16-2007, 09:23 AM
More importantly, Peter is a gentleman and a hell of a nice guy. You are lucky.

dash
01-17-2007, 02:24 PM
Thanks everyone for the response and links. Peter is truely a master, and I would be proud to own and ride this frame when it comes my way. I forgot to mention that part of the deal I am trying to make also includes an e-richie complete bike from about '02. It is supposed to be one of atmo's personal bikes that was used for pics in the website. I guess that is a little like having Davinci and Michaelangelo working on frescos on opposite walls in your palace, no? Gonna pull the trigger on this and hope to get lucky.

so, did you get lucky? may we see pics?

atmo
01-17-2007, 02:34 PM
i was at peter's this a.m.
man - there's alotta wood lined up there atmo.

Ken Robb
01-17-2007, 02:38 PM
"a lotta wood"??????????? What doea that mean? Balsa frames? Return of wooden wheels?

atmo
01-17-2007, 02:42 PM
"a lotta wood"??????????? What doea that mean? Balsa frames? Return of wodden wheels?
he's my american idol atmo.

Ken Robb
01-17-2007, 03:03 PM
I can believe that he's your idol but I still don't get the wood reference. I must be too old.

atmo
01-17-2007, 03:14 PM
so karaoke atmo -

dave thompson
01-17-2007, 03:26 PM
I can believe that he's your idol but I still don't get the wood reference. I must be too old.
You are.

atmo
01-17-2007, 03:30 PM
i took this shot from my lesbocar (subaru
outback wagon) on the way out atmo -

dauwhe
01-17-2007, 03:35 PM
I know I've said it before, but I really like that bike!

Dave

dash
01-17-2007, 04:26 PM
i was at peter's this a.m.
man - there's alotta wood lined up there atmo.

richie,

are you two preparing an american idol duo performance? which songs would be best? "A little bit country, a little bit rock n roll"?

dash

atmo
01-17-2007, 04:33 PM
it was our monthly price fixe lunch atmo.

Ken Robb
01-17-2007, 04:42 PM
oh "wood" like for a stove/fireplace? FWIW, we are remodeling and blocking off the fireplace in the living room because we never use it and Leslie wants the space for her piano. Recently a fire would have been nice as our daily highs are barely breaking 60F and the nights are 40ish. BRR.
Nice bike--as Grant says "someday we'll all be riding mixtes".

Louis
01-17-2007, 04:47 PM

Was Michael Andreas in attendance? I hear he has some connections in Japan...

dash
01-17-2007, 04:49 PM

you two ride fixies? i guess the lunch goes in jpw's handlebar bag.

manet
01-17-2007, 08:11 PM
... as Grant says "someday we'll all be riding mixtes".

darwin posited

palincss
02-14-2007, 03:00 PM
For your enjoyment.

cpg
02-14-2007, 03:09 PM
Note how the head of the M6 seat post binder bolt has been turned down on the lathe. Cool, clever and custom. I hate him!

Curt

Serotta PETE
02-14-2007, 03:31 PM
oh "wood" like for a stove/fireplace? FWIW, we are remodeling and blocking off the fireplace in the living room because we never use it and Leslie wants the space for her piano. Recently a fire would have been nice as our daily highs are barely breaking 60F and the nights are 40ish. BRR.
Nice bike--as Grant says "someday we'll all be riding mixtes".

The folks up at Fort Serotta would switch for that, especially today.

PETE

catulle
02-14-2007, 03:38 PM
The Connecticut River Cartel is planning on buying the Disco Team.

sailorboy
02-14-2007, 03:47 PM
Wow! Nice Weigle.
As it turns out I made a deal with a good guy for the 80's Weigle frame/fork and a complete Sachs built with record; E-richie's website bike from '02. Score of the century atmo. I would also venture to say that I am done, don't need any more bikes after that.

Keith A
02-14-2007, 03:49 PM
Wasn't this bike at the Ramble this year?

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=21276&stc=1

atmo
02-14-2007, 03:58 PM
Wow! Nice Weigle.
As it turns out I made a deal with a good guy for the 80's Weigle frame/fork and a complete Sachs built with record; E-richie's website bike from '02. Score of the century atmo. I would also venture to say that I am done, don't need any more bikes after that.
you need a c'dale to complete the trifecta atmo.

dauwhe
02-14-2007, 03:58 PM
That bike was ridden by Kendall at the ramble... Wonderful bike, wonderful folks (all of you!)

Dave, in snowy (finally!) Massachusetts

big shanty
02-14-2007, 04:31 PM
That bike, in that setting, is the thing of dreams.

dash
02-14-2007, 05:44 PM
For your enjoyment.

nice lugs!!! would you have pics of the whole product?

RIHans
02-14-2007, 05:51 PM
i took this shot from my lesbocar (subaru
outback wagon) on the way out atmo -
I know...No more VW jokes...But it's your Birthday!

atmo
02-14-2007, 06:22 PM
I know...No more VW jokes...But it's your Birthday!
hans and i have history with a super beetle,
a telephone pole, wine, and the police. there,
it's out there atmo.

sailorboy
02-14-2007, 06:56 PM
you need a c'dale to complete the trifecta atmo.
Oh sure, as long as you build it. ;)

peter weigle
02-14-2007, 07:56 PM
Wow! Nice Weigle.
I would also venture to say that I am done, don't need any more bikes after that.

Sailorboy,,, you're talking to the forum,,, not your wife,,, you can buy more,, its ok, relax, its easy, and we won't tell.

sailorboy
02-14-2007, 08:41 PM
Good point. I'll send ya my measurements tomorrow!

ispy
02-14-2007, 08:44 PM
That is a sweeeeet fork crown on the brick-red Weigle. JPW, is it stainless or chromed?

sailorboy
02-15-2007, 07:08 AM
so karaoke atmo -
Wood is the most efficient fuel on earth. Heats ya at least twice, any time you (I) have to stack it or split it, and then when you burn it. Thanks Dad!

barry1021
02-15-2007, 09:32 AM
Wow! Nice Weigle.
Please tell me you are 5'7" or 6' 3", or i will hate you forever.

b21

weisan
02-15-2007, 11:34 AM
Note how the head of the M6 seat post binder bolt has been turned down on the lathe. Cool, clever and custom. I hate him!

Curt
Hate can be a motivating force sometimes. Curt-pal, don't hate, get even! :D
15-20 years from now, I am expecting you to get better at it, maybe even outclass current generation of masters, sorta like "standing on the shoulders of giants"......but please don't make me wait 54 months or some ridiculous amount of time.

Sailor-pal, you are in for a treat. Bring those bikes into the bedroom, sleep with em'. ;)

Keith A
02-15-2007, 12:23 PM
Sailor-pal, you are in for a treat. Bring those bikes into the bedroom, sleep with em'. ;)Me thinks that Valentines Day has gone to your head http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/8.gif

sailorboy
02-15-2007, 04:34 PM
The Weigle and Sachs are both 54x55, perfect fits. This is the same guy who put his spectrum Ti super up for adoption a while back as well. I hope he's OK, he seems to be drifting away from our sport somewhat, or at least from the pursuit of ammassing the perfect collection of American masters. Maybe he needs some fresh Kool aid...

Heck, since my 6 month-old has now taken over my spot in bed I would most definitely be gettin more love from those 8 pipes welded together anyhow. Spooning with a weigle, hmmm, let me consider that one...