PDA

View Full Version : Best hydr/cable actuated flatmount calipers currently??

robt57
03-26-2020, 06:20 PM
What is the best choice De jour??

I thought I recalled JuinTech F1?

I have to decide to go with those or adapters for some extra TRP/Hylex already have. Looks wise no adapter better of course.

Project HelixDisc/Enve upon me...

It is either the Hylex with Di2 climber switch kit in levers. Or I am leaning more to the cable actuated hydr with a SR 11s group to stay lighter..

I either need to order the Hylex kits for the levers and one more climber switch, or the JuinTechs at this point. Have everthing else otherwise.

Have a Compressionless Jag cable set and highly polished brake cables already too for that direction. Used this setup with a few cable brake setup both hydr and non hydr with excellent results.

Spoker
03-26-2020, 06:23 PM
Just build a bike with juintech in the rear and really impressed so far.
Yokozuna cables are great.

RobJ
03-26-2020, 06:25 PM
Same.

Building one now with the new lighter JuinTech GT models. These are the 4 piston equivalent to the Yokozuna Ultimos. Yokozuna compression-less cables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robt57
03-26-2020, 06:27 PM
GT VS F1 weights off the top of your head ??

Same.

Building one now with the new lighter JuinTech GT models. These are the 4 piston equivalent to the Yokozuna Ultimos. Yokozuna compression-less cables.

RobJ
03-26-2020, 06:30 PM

Don’t know. Never had the F1’s just what I read. Ordered them here and they have all the models and specs. Great prices too.

https://www.edgesportsuk.com/store/

wallymann
03-27-2020, 07:18 AM

X1: 143g/caliper
F1: 142g/caliper
GT: 133g/caliper

Smitty2k1
03-27-2020, 07:38 AM
This thread makes me want to upgrade my BB7s....

Gummee
03-27-2020, 05:36 PM
This thread makes me want to upgrade my BB7s....

Good! You'll be impressed

M

owly
03-28-2020, 01:10 AM
The comments section at the Bikepacking.com Ultimo/GT article gives a few suggestions for using finned pads to get the most out of them on longer descents.

Thrust
03-28-2020, 06:07 AM
Same.

Let me know how you get by with them. How's the stopping power?

I'm 260lbs and 6ft2 so quite the big boy and for my bikepacking rig I need some good stoppage.

Thrust
03-28-2020, 06:10 AM
The comments section at the Bikepacking.com Ultimo/GT article gives a few suggestions for using finned pads to get the most out of them on longer descents.

Shimano XTR or XT's then?

owly
03-29-2020, 02:03 AM
Shimano XTR or XT's then?

Good question.

Went through my old notes for options. All I had written down is Shimano H03C.

Other ones seem to be Koolstop KS-D640K.
Swisstop Exotherm 2 R.
Jagwire dca885.
Uber Finned Pads.

https://www.uberbikecomponents.com/category/478/Shimano-Finned-Disc-Brake-Pads.

Finned pads are pretty expensive, so I'd have a look at the Uber options as you're in Europe.

d_douglas
03-29-2020, 10:18 AM
I use Juintech on my commuter and they’re pretty great, though I needed to rebleed them fairly quickly after installing (a few months), so maybe mine have been finicky?

I just bought a bike with TRP Spyres in it and switched them out for SRAM hydros. To be honest, I kinda wished I had just stuck with these mechanical TRPs and old Rival stuff, but the choice has been made !

If you want some Take off flat mount Spyres, let me know - I haven’t advertised them yet!

d_douglas
03-29-2020, 10:20 AM
I use Juintech on my commuter and they’re pretty great, though I needed to rebleed them fairly quickly after installing (a few months), so maybe mine have been finicky?

I just bought a bike with TRP Spyres on it and switched them out for SRAM hydros. To be honest, I kinda wished I had just stuck with the mechanical TRPs and old Rival stuff, but the choice has been made :)

If you want some Take off flat mount Spyres, let me know - I haven’t advertised them yet!

robt57
03-29-2020, 11:32 AM
I just bought a bike with TRP Spyres in it and switched them out for SRAM hydros. To be honest, I kinda wished I had just stuck with these mechanical TRPs

I decided to try the TRPs in flat mount for this one. I do have a post mount rear SLC with adapter on one bike, and I have post Hilex with adapter on a bike and a loose set of post Hilex.

Wait for it: But I do not want to put the Post HILEX on the Flatmount HELIX, damn I hated typing that before coffee....

I do not want adapters, not to put the money toward adapters that can go toward flat calipers, etc.

I have, and have used the SLC Spyres, one the Swiss Stop Green Organic pads go in they're fine IMO. And I had a few sets of those Swiss Stop Organics NIB on the wall. Not to mention either way a roll of compression-less JAG housing and metal cable end in stock.

So it was math for me in my fear of shedding coin current state. 92.00 shipped for the non SLC Spyres, pads already paid for up on the wall, VS 139.00 plus different SS Greens for the JuinT F1=$ just shy of 200.00.

Reason for the non SLC is the actuation arms are more modifi- able for changing the cable entry/pull ratio. I will try these with SR 11s Ergos if I can modify thusly.

With the SLC cable mount point I don't see a happy path to monkey the cable ratio. I have done this a few time putting MTB BB7s on Road levers with the Swiss Stops for a perfectly performing setups. And black calipers on bikes silver road BB7 at the time would looks like crap on all blacked out modern bikes etc.

robt57
03-29-2020, 11:41 AM
For the thread.

IMO, the Swiss Stop Green Organics take cable brakes from 60-70% to 85-90% as good as all HYDro. And as good as the HY/RD works, which to me I won't buy again and only have one caliper left in service on a front.

The Compression-less housing bring the percentage quote Opinion right to the top percent edge of my quoted percents. Along with highly polished SS cables. But I'd add the front run is so short I don't notice the cable making a difference. And the rear if no real bends to speak of the same on the actual cables. Just good SS Shimano cables seem fine on the 1/2 dozen or so setup I have wrenched to date.