PDA

View Full Version : OT: hair

Irishgirl
03-26-2020, 07:48 AM
Had this thought today...

Being in IL under statewide Self Quarantine since Saturday my thoughts drifted to hair...

Admittedly I have difficulty recognizing people I have rode with out in the wild...aka grocery store/bar/sidewalk/train when they are not in their cycling gear... and helmets are also great identifiers when not standing next to their bikes of course. Certainly I’ll have difficulty with everyone’s new look and not having access to get their hair cut.

Then I wondered what are people doing about haircuts ?

And for those with longer hair it may be a great time to consider doing a hair donation to Locks of Love when the ban is lifted and the long lines are not for toilet paper but to get your hair cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elefantino
03-26-2020, 07:52 AM
No haircuts for the time being in NC.

Do they still make the Flowbee?

Spaghetti Legs
03-26-2020, 07:52 AM
I’ve been using the cancellation of school and extended time at home to increase pressure to get a haircut on my son.

I’ve been cutting my own hair for years.

Veloo
03-26-2020, 07:55 AM
Less of an issue, I'll presume, for us guys but I've been meaning to learning how to cut my own since I have clippers at home.
My friend has been doing it himself for years. His hair is a tad shorter than mine tho. I've lost a number of barbers/ stylists over the years to retirement and have actually found it not too easy a task to find a new, reliable one.
I'm also "cheap" too. I'm not willing to fork over $40+ dollars to get my hair cut since it's on the simpler side.

There are tons of youtube vids for the guys. I'd guess there are a few for the ladies too.

fmradio516
03-26-2020, 07:56 AM
No haircuts for the time being in NC.

Do they still make the Flowbee?

"It sucks, and it cuts!"

"Yeah it certainly does suck!"

AngryScientist
03-26-2020, 08:02 AM
haha.

as mentioned elsewhere, i loathe shaving, and the only time i bring myself to shave is when i go into the office or have to meet with clients, this is usually at least a couple times a week, so grooming is typically under control.

i'm planning on not shaving or cutting my hair until we get back to business as usual around here.

i plan to look like a wild, nomadic mountain man by the time this is all over. might be epic. my wife may kill me.

CNY rider
03-26-2020, 08:03 AM
Sitting on the back porch in your boxers while your wife buzz cuts your hair is one of the true pleasures of country living.
Of course from October 1 til June it's more comfy inside.....

tuxbailey
03-26-2020, 08:04 AM
I have been thinking about that. I have asked my wife and she is reluctant to cut my hair.

So I will have to learn how cut my hair or this is a good opportunity to experiment with the ponytail look and man-bun.

oldpotatoe
03-26-2020, 08:07 AM
I think everybody ought to stop getting haircuts and shaving 'anywhere' till this is over..My 'virus' beard is about a week old.

My mustache is almost as effective as a N95 mask...:eek:

You too ladies...:)

Yikes, makes me look even older than I am...

charliedid
03-26-2020, 08:11 AM
I get up and do my hair very first thing in order to maintain a sense of normalcy around here.

I think I'm doing great!

jr59
03-26-2020, 08:33 AM
Locks of love will no longer accept my hair. I gave them well over 15 donations over the years. They sent me an award so to speak. But with all of the chemotherapy and other drugs, plus they don’t want gray hair, cause they can’t die it. I’m out of luck for that!

It’s still long, much thinner but long. Not worried about getting it cut anytime soon

XXtwindad
03-26-2020, 08:45 AM
haha.

as mentioned elsewhere, i loathe shaving, and the only time i bring myself to shave is when i go into the office or have to meet with clients, this is usually at least a couple times a week, so grooming is typically under control.

i'm planning on not shaving or cutting my hair until we get back to business as usual around here.

i plan to look like a wild, nomadic mountain man by the time this is all over. might be epic. my wife may kill me.

We need pics.

Tickdoc
03-26-2020, 08:51 AM
Got an offer from my wife for a haircut....I’m just gonna let it go and grow. Still shaving my legs tho!

https://youtu.be/QZGIlxk96gI

benb
03-26-2020, 08:51 AM
I got my hair cut the first week of March.. it had gotten long on vacation.

Long is relative for me. I like it 1/2" long on top, 1/4" on the back/sides, a little longer in front.

AFAICT the longer you wear your hair the less annoying all this is. My wife doesn't go more than 1-2 times a year.

But my hair is so short it grows like 200% or more in 3 weeks just cause it starts so short.

Not sure what I'm going to do, it's not quite super annoying yet.

I have a Wahl trimmer set. Either going to attempt to do it myself or let my wife try. If I/we can't do a good enough job I'll just buzz it all.

XXtwindad
03-26-2020, 08:57 AM
I got my hair cut the first week of March.. it had gotten long on vacation.

Long is relative for me. I like it 1/2" long on top, 1/4" on the back/sides, a little longer in front.

AFAICT the longer you wear your hair the less annoying all this is. My wife doesn't go more than 1-2 times a year.

But my hair is so short it grows like 200% or more in 3 weeks just cause it starts so short.

Not sure what I'm going to do, it's not quite super annoying yet.

I have a Wahl trimmer set. Either going to attempt to do it myself or let my wife try. If I/we can't do a good enough job I'll just buzz it all.

Do you feel longer hair goes better with disc brakes? That’s been my experience :)

veloduffer
03-26-2020, 09:07 AM
I'm going to need a bigger helmet.:p

Mark McM
03-26-2020, 09:20 AM
Do you feel longer hair goes better with disc brakes? That’s been my experience :)

I wonder if there's some corollary to recumbents and beards?

paredown
03-26-2020, 09:24 AM
I feel lucky--I got my spring chop just before everyone panicked a week or so ago--so I should be good. (last cut was probably for Thanksgiving so it was a little out of control--so I shouldn't be due again until the crisis passes. :banana:)

XXtwindad
03-26-2020, 09:34 AM
I wonder if there's some corollary to recumbents and beards?

Haha. Well, if there was any empirical data on the subject, surely you would be in possession of it. But based solely on anecdotal evidence ... I’m going to say yes.

Bostic
03-26-2020, 09:37 AM
I've been growing my hair out since October of 2018. 2019 was spent wearing U bands all day to keep it out of my face but I can tie it back now.

RFC
03-26-2020, 09:52 AM
LOL! I was just thinking about getting a haircut and decided not. Too creepy.

I have relatively long grayish hair. My usual personal grooming standard is that I get a haircut when I start looking like a Civil War general. Looks like that will be my persona for a while.

Think about it this way. In 4 weeks time, we will know everyone's true hair color.

Irishgirl
03-26-2020, 09:58 AM
Work from home look and will definitely be gray due to the three teens [emoji6]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200326/d181dc4f15fc04e06c48d831ef2ac658.jpg

RFC
03-26-2020, 10:04 AM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200326/d181dc4f15fc04e06c48d831ef2ac658.jpg

Great photo! Thanks.

cgolvin
03-26-2020, 10:22 AM
i'm going to need a bigger helmet.:p

potd

Seramount
03-26-2020, 10:30 AM
what was once a healthy head of long locks has degenerated to male pattern baldness...aka the Friar Tuck look.

consequently, haven't been to a barber in almost 30 years.

bought a Wahl clipper and just mow the melon using a No. 2 guard.

sometimes, I'll get crazy and 'grow it out' and use the No. 4, but it always looks meh so I revert back to the 2.

some quick math shows I've saved almost $12K doing my own cutting.

and fwiw, after a bout of drunken late night infomercial watching, a Flowbee showed up on my doorstep. used it twice, still have it...

Dave B
03-26-2020, 10:35 AM
I have debated buzzing my hair as I wont go back to school until May 1 and will give it some time to grow out. I also hate doing hair and mine is thinning and I'll most likely go bald. read that if you keep your hair really short, going bald isn't as traumatic (if it is for you) as having long hair and losing it.

I have cut my hair since 1995 as it is free and I have a simple enough haircut that i have learned what to do. I play with thickness on the top and sides, but noting noteworthy.

I might do it (buzz) just for something to do. My quarantine haircut.

beard is a mess as when I was younger it was black and then my Irish red hairs would show up, which looked odd. The red spots are now grey and it looks terrible when it grows long. i have no desire to color it or do the just for men thing. I haven't given up on how I look, but don't feel as concerned with hair on my head.

Shaved legs when riding season is in (for me) and I shave my left arm where my SW tattoos are. Looks cleaner.

charliedid
03-26-2020, 10:36 AM

No fair, you appear to have actually made an effort! :)

madsciencenow
03-26-2020, 10:37 AM
I'm also in IL and had a similar thought a few days ago. I've got a couple weeks before I need another cut but my boys could use a trim. My older boy is 15 and is using this as an excuse to see how his beard looks. Apparently, it's not cool to grow a beard (he will have no problem with this) if you are a Freshman in HS.

eBAUMANN
03-26-2020, 10:41 AM
haha.

This is what directly led to me having a mustache for the last 2 years. Directly corresponds to pre and post employment.

As far as the hair thing goes...I dunno how you folks keep up with regular hair trimming. Ive gotten 2 professional haircuts in the past 15 years. Girlfriends do the heavy lifting every 2-4 years if I get fed up and decide to chop it all off. I always end up missing my longer hair though, it creates identity in a sea of sameness...let it grow I say!

C40_guy
03-26-2020, 10:41 AM
WRT hair, I was in a rut...I'd walk into the hair salon (AKA barbershop) and ask for a #5 on top, #4 on the sides. After doing that a hunnert times, at $20 per, light dawned on tousled head, and I bought a buzzer.

Now I do my own hair, and frankly, it's only 20% worse than having it professionally done. And a whole lot cheaper...

Except, and please, pay attention here...

DO NOT STEP OUT OF THE SHOWER, pick up your buzzer, and clean up that little piece on top. Particularly if you had just removed the #5 and the bare buzzer was just sitting there in its glorious nakedness.

Said landing strip on the top of my otherwise #5 curls was, um, interesting. And I was presenting in front of 200 people in a sloping auditorium three days later.

So I blended it as best I could and told my coworkers that one shouldn't say "make it short" when living near a military base.

Photos *not* forthcoming. :)

Frankwurst
03-26-2020, 10:43 AM
https://www.flowbee.com/

I haven't paid for a haircut in over 25 years. It pays to watch late night television. :beer:

ultraman6970
03-26-2020, 10:43 AM
Wife is already giving me S....t about a a hair cut :/

Spaghetti Legs
03-26-2020, 10:44 AM
Less of an issue, I'll presume, for us guys but I've been meaning to learning how to cut my own since I have clippers at home.
My friend has been doing it himself for years. His hair is a tad shorter than mine tho. I've lost a number of barbers/ stylists over the years to retirement and have actually found it not too easy a task to find a new, reliable one.
I'm also "cheap" too. I'm not willing to fork over $40+ dollars to get my hair cut since it's on the simpler side.

There are tons of youtube vids for the guys. I'd guess there are a few for the ladies too.

I started doing mine years ago when, ironically enough, I couldn’t get the Navy base barbers to get it as short as I wanted.

I have a set of Wahl clippers, cost about $25. Start with a 6 and do the whole head. If I’m feeling phreaky I start with the 5. I then work down one number , start from the edge and fade out towards the top. Each number down you don’t go up as far. Finish with a 2 along the edges and behind the ears. I use a 1 on the sideburns. Handheld mirror reflecting the bathroom mirror to see the back. You’ll get the hang of it.

hokoman
03-26-2020, 10:48 AM
There are places open near me....

JK. Pulled this from a FB post.

Jaybee
03-26-2020, 11:22 AM
what was once a healthy head of long locks has degenerated to male pattern baldness...aka the Friar Tuck look.

consequently, haven't been to a barber in almost 30 years.

bought a Wahl clipper and just mow the melon using a No. 2 guard.

sometimes, I'll get crazy and 'grow it out' and use the No. 4, but it always looks meh so I revert back to the 2.

some quick math shows I've saved almost $12K doing my own cutting.

and fwiw, after a bout of drunken late night infomercial watching, a Flowbee showed up on my doorstep. used it twice, still have it...

Come on home, my dude. We're waiting for you.

https://www.harrys.com/harrys-cdnx-prod/assets/images/gallery_images/attachments/dd5f08cdc7572f9ceecc9177fbb1213be87f444a.jpg

gemship
03-26-2020, 11:36 AM
Had this thought today...

Being in IL under statewide Self Quarantine since Saturday my thoughts drifted to hair...

Admittedly I have difficulty recognizing people I have rode with out in the wild...aka grocery store/bar/sidewalk/train when they are not in their cycling gear... and helmets are also great identifiers when not standing next to their bikes of course. Certainly I’ll have difficulty with everyone’s new look and not having access to get their hair cut.

Then I wondered what are people doing about haircuts ?

And for those with longer hair it may be a great time to consider doing a hair donation to Locks of Love when the ban is lifted and the long lines are not for toilet paper but to get your hair cut.

Funny you that you mention it. There was an article in the local paper about the city's salons having to close with pics of the owners looking bummed out. I've been walking past one in town for the past two days and seeing it closed I just think how it must be hard times for that business much like the rest of us. As I ponder it some more I would think that there may be a way around the rule like by appointment only and just one customer in the shop or maybe just set up shop at home. I imagine this is one of those kinda business's where some folks have a friendship with the hair stylist and find ways to make it happen outside normal business workings. It's the start of a black market service industry.

As for me I just do my own buzz cuts every couple months, speaking of which I am over due for one.

XXtwindad
03-26-2020, 11:42 AM
Funny you that you mention it. There was an article in the local paper about the city's salons having to close with pics of the owners looking bummed out. I've been walking past one in town for the past two days and seeing it closed I just think how it must be hard times for that business much like the rest of us. As I ponder it some more I would think that there may be a way around the rule like by appointment only and just one customer in the shop or maybe just set up shop at home. I imagine this is one of those kinda business's where some folks have a friendship with the hair stylist and find ways to make it happen outside normal business workings. It's the start of a black market service industry.

As for me I just do my own buzz cuts every couple months, speaking of which I am over due for one.

I train my clients remotely. Barbers don’t have that option, unfortunately. “Remote barbering” would be a disaster. A good barber is also very hard to find.

Irishgirl
03-26-2020, 11:57 AM

Soo true...and I’m a “think about a work around kinda thinker”

I do have a personal friendship with my hairdresser and she’s struggling in soo many areas..

Financially - loss of revenue
Leadership - she has a good size team that she supports including benefits
Emotionally - the lack interaction with people has her super depressed

I gave her the idea for curbside delivery of product...she runs an Aveda salon. The umbrella pic shared in this thread made me laugh and shared that with her too - thanks for sharing!

She’s offering gift cards $100 Gordy cards for $80 as a means to help with cash flow

She is shut down and to receive ANY assistance being offered she has to comply.

Living in an area where Al Capon had a hide out and bootlegged alcohol I was wonder if we would hear about hairdressers bootlegging.

Some of these little main street businesses are extremely impacted and I’m a support the corner store kinda girl and it’s more important then ever to find ways to help them too and still practice SD....gotta make the plug for encouraging and supporting social distancing [emoji4].

robt57
03-26-2020, 12:04 PM
What is this thing you call hair? And I seem to recall from the distant past something that may be related called Sham Poo or something like that....

d_douglas
03-26-2020, 12:25 PM
My son and I go to a local barber shop with a great (and nice) barber who is totally tatted up with face tattoos etc (M13 style - its crazy). They're closed for good reason and I am on hair cutting hiatus for now.

My sons hair is hilariously curly and thick and huge and cute, so no big deal, but I am starting two look like a total scumbag. I have lost of hair, but rapidly greying and just bushy. I suppose I could shave it like old times?!?

Gsinill
03-26-2020, 12:30 PM
I already warned my wife that it will be her job to take care of mine.
She agreed and said: "Sure, and I'll just let mine go gray" which is fine with me.

Elefantino
03-26-2020, 12:33 PM
Going along with the Ancient Spud and growing a Quarantine Beard.

Right now I look like a Nick Nolte DUI mug shot.

Red Tornado
03-26-2020, 12:33 PM
Been cutting my own hair for close to 30 years now. $20 - $25 clipper every 8-10 years. 5 guard on top, 2 guard on sides & back (blend with a 3 guard). Wife cleans up the neck area.

Elefantino
03-26-2020, 12:35 PM
“Remote barbering” would be a disaster.

I see a future in e-barbering.

soulspinner
03-26-2020, 01:20 PM
I get up and do my hair very first thing in order to maintain a sense of normalcy around here.

I think I'm doing great!

yeah baby!

kevinvc
03-26-2020, 01:39 PM
I haven't cut my hair in years and it's now a couple of inches above my belt line. I will cut it if there is a significant life event, such as losing a close loved one. I'm hoping to get through this COVID-19 thing with my hair intact.

As for a beard, I can't grow a beard no matter how long I go without shaving. I get stubble but it is patchy and never really fills out. I dislike shaving even though it's a pretty quick and easy process for me, but I haven't shaved since I started working from home a week ago, strictly out of laziness. Fortunately most of my Skyping for work is audio only.

XXtwindad
03-26-2020, 01:52 PM
I haven't cut my hair in years and it's now a couple of inches above my belt line. I will cut it if there is a significant life event, such as losing a close loved one. I'm hoping to get through this COVID-19 thing with my hair intact.

As for a beard, I can't grow a beard no matter how long I go without shaving. I get stubble but it is patchy and never really fills out. I dislike shaving even though it's a pretty quick and easy process for me, but I haven't shaved since I started working from home a week ago, strictly out of laziness. Fortunately most of my Skyping for work is audio only.

No choice but to let the “fro” grow now. But I’m shaving every day. Gives me a sense of normalcy and it’s better for appearances sake. I train people remotely and am “SkypeDating.”

LJohnny
03-26-2020, 02:35 PM
I have been doing my own hair for 7.5 yrs and now I am super glad don’t have to deal with going out for a hair cut. Still using the same clipper set.

jeffkoller91
03-26-2020, 02:50 PM
I have been doing my own hair for 7.5 yrs and now I am super glad don’t have to deal with going out for a hair cut. Still using the same clipper set.

Going to try cutting my own...but we will see how that goes. Any advice?

LJohnny
03-26-2020, 03:01 PM
Yes! Go conservatively the first pass, if your clipper set has #7 or 6, start with that to get the feel. Just like cutting the steerer on a fork, there is no going back once you chop it off.

I find that for the top for about .75 inch hair length more or less, #4 works. But go conservative first.

And I don’t have a good hand mirror. So I do have my wife stop by and check my back and look for in uneven spots. Smooth motion is the key :) smooth motion! For the sides, an arc-type motion, from the bottom of the skull towards the top if you want a gradient styling. For my sides I do #3 at the top edge, then start going down to 2, then 1 to get the gradient side and back.
Perfect time to try self hair cut if you are teleworking :D

pdmtong
03-26-2020, 03:51 PM
I cut my own hair. Or should i say shave my own head.
In these times luckily grooming is not an issue.

I remove the guard so the Wahl is effectively set at 00000 (five zeros)
Easy, cheap and I can look as clean as I want to when I want to.

Occasionally I have missed a spot. I get immediate feedback via laughter from the girls here so low risk of public embarrassment (of me and to them)

joosttx
03-26-2020, 04:04 PM
I gave my Dad clippers like 35 years ago. He claims he has saved $25K in haircuts.

I bought clippers last year when the barbershop raised their price to $40.

pdmtong
03-26-2020, 04:15 PM
I gave my Dad clippers like 35 years ago. He claims he has saved $25K in haircuts.

I bought clippers last year when the barbershop raised their price to $40.

$40? Ouch. I get it...those prices exist down here too.

I probably cut my hair 18x + a year...So that'd be $720 plus tip and the time to park and wait.

If I needed a fade or something other than straight 00000 maybe I'd still go and pay. But not for what I am doing now.

choke
03-26-2020, 04:23 PM
Add me to the list of those who cut their own hair. I think the last time I paid for a haircut was around 2001.

I started doing mine years ago when, ironically enough, I couldn’t get the Navy base barbers to get it as short as I wanted.You should have went to a Marine Corps base. :)

Frankwurst
03-26-2020, 04:26 PM
Going to try cutting my own...but we will see how that goes. Any advice?

It's no big deal if you F it up. It grows back. Go for it. :beer:
And never mind the money savings for the cut. What about the time and expense to get to the barber/hairstylist?

Llewellyn
03-26-2020, 04:38 PM
Hahaha. I haven't had to worry about making an appointment with a hairdresser for 20 years :rolleyes: I've saved a fortune.

Llewellyn
03-26-2020, 04:39 PM
...So that'd be $720 plus tip and the time to park and wait.

You tip a hairdresser??? :confused: :eek: YGBSM

pdmtong
03-26-2020, 05:00 PM
You tip a hairdresser??? :confused: :eek: YGBSMIt is customary here to tip service providers

Irishgirl
03-26-2020, 05:06 PM
I declined to provide cost details as it may incriminate me...and I’m already quarantined.[emoji1787]

oliver1850
03-26-2020, 05:07 PM
I probably haven't had a professional haircut in 10 years. When it gets long enough to be annoying I grab the scissors and chop it all off.

charliedid
03-26-2020, 05:07 PM
Hahaha. I haven't had to worry about making an appointment with a hairdresser for 20 years :rolleyes: I've saved a fortune.

No barbers in the cave you live in? :eek:

Llewellyn
03-26-2020, 05:14 PM
No barbers in the cave you live in? :eek:

Hehe. I'm a baldy :) (assuming that you're not having a swing at me)

charliedid
03-26-2020, 05:28 PM
Hehe. I'm a baldy :) (assuming that you're not having a swing at me)

Lord, just having some fun!

I don't exactly have Hollywood hair, and for 15 years I just clipped it mostly bald. Now I have been having fun letting it grow a little and enjoy the jokes my nephews make :)

rustychisel
03-26-2020, 06:24 PM
Australia, it's weird.

Exclusions on lots of things but barbers and hairdressing salons exempt, but limited to 30 minute appointments. Why I cannot explain.

Nonetheless, yesterday I had a haircut. Dropped into my usual cuz I knew Frank would be at work and had a haircut.

A guy came in after 10 minutes or so wearing gardening gloves and carrying a plastic chair, which he proceeded to unfold and set up in the middle of the barbershop.

Him: "Hi Frank. I came in for a haircut. You'll need to do me in this chair."

Frank: "How am I going to get down there?"

Him: "You'll just need to deal with it. It's the new normal." He then reached for the daily paper and proceeded to read the news whilst wearing bulky gardening gloves.

Five minutes later he says "Frank, I'll be back in a minute. I just need to go home and get a towel for you to wrap me in. I don't want to use one of yours. Hold my spot."

He folds up his chair and walks out.
Frank looks at me and shrugs. I raise an eyebrow. I get my haircut, man walks back in after several minutes. I notice he's essentially bald, not wearing a facemask or anything, but still wearing those effin' gardening gloves.

True story.

XXtwindad
03-26-2020, 06:48 PM
Australia, it's weird.

Exclusions on lots of things but barbers and hairdressing salons exempt, but limited to 30 minute appointments. Why I cannot explain.

Nonetheless, yesterday I had a haircut. Dropped into my usual cuz I knew Frank would be at work and had a haircut.

A guy came in after 10 minutes or so wearing gardening gloves and carrying a plastic chair, which he proceeded to unfold and set up in the middle of the barbershop.

Him: "You'll just need to deal with it. It's the new normal." He then reached for the daily paper and proceeded to read the news whilst wearing bulky gardening gloves.

Five minutes later he says "Frank, I'll be back in a minute. I just need to go home and get a towel for you to wrap me in. I don't want to use one of yours. Hold my spot."

Frank looks at me and shrugs. I raise an eyebrow. I get my haircut, man walks back in after several minutes. I notice he's essentially bald, not wearing a facemask or anything, but still wearing those effin' gardening gloves.

True story.

Well told. The drive to “crazy” is much shorter for some people.

rounder
03-26-2020, 06:52 PM
I called my barber the other day and he said, sorry closed down by the governor because he is not essential.

He said that he was thinking of going to offer Hair on Wheels or Hairballs on Wheels, something like that. Pretty sure he is out of business and stuck for awhile.

Hope his shop makes it, because the business is just him and his father, and I have been going there for a long time. Can't imagine how bike shops and others are going to survive these days.

joosttx
03-26-2020, 07:01 PM
$40? Ouch. I get it...those prices exist down here too.

I probably cut my hair 18x + a year...So that'd be $720 plus tip and the time to park and wait.

If I needed a fade or something other than straight 00000 maybe I'd still go and pay. But not for what I am doing now.

Yeah, thats the price for the Barbershop. It's a retired Marine and his son. They do a great job but $40 is way to steep for a barbershop.

Ken Robb
03-26-2020, 07:40 PM
Australia, it's weird.

True story.
The funniest thing I've read this week and the newspapers have been quoting our president. :)

Frankwurst
03-27-2020, 07:14 AM
Lord, just having some fun!

I don't exactly have Hollywood hair, and for 15 years I just clipped it mostly bald. Now I have been having fun letting it grow a little and enjoy the jokes my nephews make :)

Your style makes me smile. Fun is good as is a sense of humor. Thanks!:beer:

oldpotatoe
03-27-2020, 07:20 AM
Yeah, thats the price for the Barbershop. It's a retired Marine and his son. They do a great job but $40 is way to steep for a barbershop.

I got crappy, "let's find some young seaman" and give him clippers", haircuts on USN ship's for almost 20 years. PLUS, go into the Navy Exchange when ashore..you can ask the barber for whatever you want and you will get what the barber wants to do..mostly high and tight...:eek:

I'll pay for a decent haircut, thanks.

Hilltopperny
03-28-2020, 10:47 AM
Since I work for my self and only had one client until the market crash I typically look like I came off of a mountain. Male pattern baldness hit relatively early in my life (mid 20’s) so I just shave my head every month and a half or so. Same goes for the beard. With everything going on I believe I am nearing the two month mark now!

Tony
03-28-2020, 11:23 AM
I got crappy, "let's find some young seaman" and give him clippers", haircuts on USN ship's for almost 20 years. PLUS, go into the Navy Exchange when ashore..you can ask the barber for whatever you want and you will get what the barber wants to do..mostly high and tight...:eek:

I'll pay for a decent haircut, thanks.

30 years of inmate haircuts in prison, barbers with release dates, paroling soon. Never know how its going to turn out.

giverdada
03-28-2020, 11:50 AM
I don't grow much hair on top of my head anymore (since the second kid, really), so I've been doing the self cut for decades. Seems in this virus-leave-the-city-asap crisis, I left the clipper at home. Figured it wouldn't be that big of a deal, as I won't be seeing people anyway, and the unruly business on top would match my virus beard. Turns out my lady says to shave - droplets are droplets, airborne is airborne, keep everything short and shorn. So now I'm waiting on delivery of a new safety razor and a clipper... :rolleyes:

Drmojo
03-28-2020, 11:53 AM
I hope your parole comes through
;)
kidding
of course

XXtwindad
04-11-2020, 03:53 PM
How are all the “fros” and beards? :)

Likes2ridefar
04-11-2020, 05:10 PM
I buzz my own hair and have for years so no issues on my end.

Since I don’t need to go in to the office for a long while I gave myself a mohawk last week, though some may say it’s more like Bert’s hair from the muppets.

5mm all around and let it go wild up top till I return to the office...it’s about 4” so far

AJosiahK
04-11-2020, 05:13 PM
all the shops around here have long since closed, and wisely so.

my partner has been cutting my hair (once thus far) she cuts her own and has for a while so is pretty handy with scissors. We did have to buy a buzzer which took a bit of time to arrive though.

kytyree
04-11-2020, 09:08 PM
Since I don’t need to go in to the office for a long while I gave myself a mohawk last week

Nice! I'm jealous, I've cut my own hair for years so I'm not missing the barber, but I still need to go into work regularly right now. Someday...

hokoman
04-11-2020, 11:13 PM
You guys didn't see the executive order?

Not intended to be political. I saw this on FB and was cracking up with the reports of clippers and dye being the hot items now.

EPOJoe
04-11-2020, 11:16 PM
Long time collector of barbershop stuff. Now have a full barbershop at my place and a twin brother that shares my addiction for hair cutting and shaving memorabilia (and has the requisite skills to use it) so I haven’t had to visit a real barber for years. :)