PDA

View Full Version : Good digital tire guage to dial in pressure on MTB?

jh_on_the_cape
03-26-2020, 06:52 AM
Hey I tried to search but "guage" is used often in other contexts.
Note this is for off road cycling.

For years (decades?) I have been over-inflating my tires, then letting out air and doing the hand squeeze test, or sit on bike and see how much tires squish.

Then if it's still a little hard, let a little more out... repeat.

I think it's time I step up to a widget that lets me overinflate, then set a PSI (or bar, see what I did there "set the bar") pop it on the valve and let it do its digital magic. Or at least press a button a few times and watch the number go down.

I started looking online and went down an internet rabbit hole and need to go back to my work at home duties and thought I would ask here.

This will save me money so I stop researching carbon wheelsets! (27.5 non boost XD driver if you're holding).

HenryA
03-26-2020, 06:57 AM
A pump with a gage lets you pump the tires to the desired pressure. Since bike tires lose a bit of air over time you just need a few strokes to get back to the desired inflation.

If you have been searching for a guage instead of a gauge or gage, that might be the problem.

Jaybee
03-26-2020, 06:58 AM
Not digital, but I use a Meiser dial gauge with a 0-30psi range. And another with 0-15psi for fat bike use. The dial is very easy to read and there is a bleed valve on the gauge itself, easy to dial in your preferred pressure.

crownjewelwl
03-26-2020, 07:12 AM
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/gauges/351-smartgauge-d2

this is what i use and what my shop uses

i had the problem of underinflating my tires because the gauge on my lezyne pump was faulty...kept burping my tires...then i got this and all good

jh_on_the_cape
03-26-2020, 07:25 AM
That's the one I was eyeing.

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/gauges/351-smartgauge-d2

this is what i use and what my shop uses

i had the problem of underinflating my tires because the gauge on my lezyne pump was faulty...kept burping my tires...then i got this and all good

mudhead
03-26-2020, 07:25 AM
+1 for the Topeak. I've had SKS's option which seems to get similar reviews but prefer the Topeak.

thermalattorney
03-26-2020, 07:30 AM
Another +1 for the Topeak. It works great and is perfect for MTB use.

jh_on_the_cape
03-26-2020, 07:32 AM
That's funny because if you search for guage in this forum you get plenty of matches!

A pump with a gage lets you pump the tires to the desired pressure. Since bike tires lose a bit of air over time you just need a few strokes to get back to the desired inflation.

If you have been searching for a guage instead of a gauge or gage, that might be the problem.

Seamus
03-26-2020, 08:20 AM
+1 for the Topeak. Mine has held up well/no issues.

bikinchris
03-26-2020, 08:52 PM
SKS makes a highly accurate digital air pressure gauge.

Llewellyn
03-26-2020, 09:28 PM
Another + however many for the Topeak.

m_sasso
03-26-2020, 10:59 PM
Thought about it briefly until I watched this review, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlLrdKw7HpQ , content with my pumps.

Clancy
03-27-2020, 05:57 AM
SKS makes a highly accurate digital air pressure gauge.

3 out of 5 times when using the SKS I bungle it and end up losing air and having to repeat, over and over. I usually give up and just rely on the pump gage.

Anyone have the same problem with the SKS? Topeak not as fussy?

HenryA
03-27-2020, 06:52 AM
That's funny because if you search for guage in this forum you get plenty of matches!

Sutims I have truble wit speling two, bud I dunt let it stup me.
:)

KVN
03-27-2020, 09:54 AM
Another +1 for the Topeak guage. Works great on mtb and fat bikes.

The Meiser guage is also really accurate, but extremely fragile.

mktng
03-27-2020, 10:07 AM
If you're not dead set on digital.
I picked up an accu-gage. It's been great.

Look it up.

HenryA
03-27-2020, 10:16 AM
If you're not dead set on digital.
I picked up an accu-gage. It's been great.

Look it up.

I have an accu-gage as a check for my pump gages. Not digital but it’ll never need a battery either.

Jaybee
03-27-2020, 10:35 AM
Another +1 for the Topeak guage. Works great on mtb and fat bikes.

The Meiser guage is also really accurate, but extremely fragile.

That's true. I'm on my second fat bike gauge - definitely make sure you won't be exceeding the upper limit of the range. I got lazy, grabbed the 0-15 gauge to measure a 29x3 tire I thought was probably around 12.5-14, turns out it was 17 and the gauge was blown.

notsew
03-27-2020, 10:40 AM
3 out of 5 times when using the SKS I bungle it and end up losing air and having to repeat, over and over. I usually give up and just rely on the pump gage.

I have the SKS. Same problem. It's unusable from my perspective.

bikinchris
03-27-2020, 01:40 PM

Never. Not once have I had any trouble at all. Unfortunately, I have had two SKS gauges stolen from me when wrenching at big events. So I need another one.

scopes
03-27-2020, 03:02 PM
I've used this for a few years now, no issues at all.

https://www.schwalbetires.com/accessories/helpful_tools/airmax_pro

hmai18
03-28-2020, 09:13 AM
I have both the Topeak and the Schwalbe and prefer the latter.

The Topeak only displays PSI in whole number increments, which may or may not matter to you.

MikeD
03-28-2020, 11:45 AM
I've got a Joeblow Mountain pump with an accurate gage. I've also got an external Topeak digital gage but it hardly gets used.

hobbanero
03-28-2020, 08:39 PM
I have an accugauge and also like my Shimano Pro Digital Pressure Checker. Pumps have crap gauges that can be accurate or not, usually not. 5% error is considered okay for a typical pump gauge.

MikeD
03-29-2020, 10:20 AM
I have both the Topeak and the Schwalbe and prefer the latter.

The Topeak only displays PSI in whole number increments, which may or may not matter to you.

My Topeak digital gage (not the latest version) reads to 0.5 psi.

hmai18
03-29-2020, 10:23 AM
My Topeak digital gage (not the latest version) reads to 0.5 psi.

Odd. I bought mine when I started racing CX and that was only 4 years ago and it's definitely whole unit increments only.

MikeD
03-29-2020, 10:58 AM
Odd. I bought mine when I started racing CX and that was only 4 years ago and it's definitely whole unit increments only.

Mine looks like this https://www.rei.com/product/628275/topeak-smarthead-tire-gauge

Probably 10 or more years old.