PDA

View Full Version : E-Bike Love with Danny Macaskill

William
03-25-2020, 11:11 PM
The possibility of kissing a tree at speed is crazy close...but still looks like fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogFRcWso7-Q

W.

William
03-26-2020, 10:50 AM
After watching this video yesterday and then mulling it over last night and this morning I have to say I think I get it.

I've never really given e-bikes much thought, but lately I've been doing a lot of mtb'ing and it has reminded me how much I don't like high cadence pedaling. It's always annoyed me to be pedaling at thirty revoloutions and only traveling five feet. :) I've always been more of a low to moderate cadence rider and pushing more gear. That's what I like and in conjunction with managing my momentum and gear choices has always worked well for me. That said I get the reasoning for the smaller gearing but that doesn't mean I have to like it. It's really the main reason I converted to a 1x since I never used the two inner chain rings on my mtb.

With that in mind I can see where people might like the assist when climbing the fire roads/trails to set up the downhill rides. It might even get people to do more runs with the assist to the top each time. For the road I wouldn't consider it myself at this time, but for the trails, I might be willing to give it a go.

Am I getting soft? Naw, I just see more fun to be had.:D

W.

gemship
03-26-2020, 11:03 AM
Yeah I get what your saying. You could do maybe two or three times as many runs with electric assist vs. without. I imagine though he must've felt the extra twenty pounds or more whilst straddling those turns downhill. Danny Macaskill riding it I was kinda expect some mega air evil kenevil trials going on so a bit surprised to not see that. Anyways I liked it all the same as I wouldn't hesitate to rip those downhills.

gemship
03-26-2020, 11:08 AM
BTW that's only like a 8k dolla bike. :eek:

OTOH you get a whole lot more for your dolla than some of the fancy smancy road bikes around here ;)

Plum Hill
03-26-2020, 11:20 AM
I noticed a number of E-MTBs going up the funicular in St. Moritz last September. And ridden downhill.

fmradio516
03-26-2020, 11:46 AM
i could see them being useful if you do a lot of enduro, but kind of overkill otherwise. there was a guy on our very normal, flat singletrack trail here last year, he was flying and we were on normal bikes. instead of attempting to get around us, he literally went off the trail, plowed through the woods and just too a huge cut.

Elefantino
03-26-2020, 12:14 PM
BTW that's only like a 8k dolla bike. :eek:

OTOH you get a whole lot more for your dolla than some of the fancy smancy road bikes around here ;)

$8399 USD

I've thrown one around, though not like DM.

They are seriously fun. If I were a dentist*, I'd pop for one.

*or, obvioiusly, a new Serotta :D

gemship
03-26-2020, 12:30 PM
$8399 USD

I've thrown one around, though not like DM.

They are seriously fun. If I were a dentist*, I'd pop for one.

*or, obvioiusly, a new Serotta :D

It's funny in my teenage years I did a lot of cycling from the boonies where I live to the city and back and I also had 125cc two stroke motocross bikes for the local trails. So those bikes were just too much for the trails in terms of size, gearing, power, weight. For years leading up to bikes like the Santa Cruz or the turbo levo by Specialized I had always wondered if something like this would come along and fill a void. I think these are fun bikes but they still kinda lean toward having to pedal. LOL. Which is fine but I'm thinking maybe with a bit more juice they could and maybe already are every bit as fast uphill as a modern 250cc four stroke trail bike on the right kinda trails of course.

William
03-26-2020, 12:39 PM
Yeah I get what your saying. You could do maybe two or three times as many runs with electric assist vs. without. I imagine though he must've felt the extra twenty pounds or more whilst straddling those turns downhill. Danny Macaskill riding it I was kinda expect some mega air evil kenevil trials going on so a bit surprised to not see that. Anyways I liked it all the same as I wouldn't hesitate to rip those downhills.

Yeah, but I did note that he was throwing it around quite well. I would imagine he just likes to ride sometimes as oppsed to always going all Evil Knevil.:banana:

W.

gemship
03-26-2020, 12:53 PM
Ha,ha I know he was flying and like the other fella said...the bike or maybe trail or both were inviting him to go way faster than his limits. I wonder if the camera angle just made that trail seem more fast and flowy in a tame sort of way. Maybe in real life there's a serious grade there to consider?

William
03-26-2020, 02:50 PM
I wondered that myself, how much was the camera angle possibly distorting how we perceived the trail? Still, looked like a blast.

W>

JPS123
03-26-2020, 04:03 PM
Serious question. Types 1, 2, or 3 EBikes are not allowed on my local trails per the state park website and the ranger station. The rule is clearly disregarded by many based on the number of EBikes I see in the park, mostly type 1 which are difficult to distinguish from non electric mtb’s. However I am not the fun police and don’t find it as my duty to enforce rules perhaps unless I saw some damage or disrespect to the environment or the compromising of public safety etc. Thus,

When I am grinding up a steep narrow climb and I hear the electric buzz approaching fast from behind, am I supposed to pull over and let them pass? Smile and wave while I am at it? Say “nice, good job, etc” as I would to a human powered rider? Often the grades are very steep and would require a dismount/hike/remount which I would oblige myself for someone who has outclimbed me under their own power but here I am talking about someone technically not abiding by the rules of the park. On the other hand it would be awkward if one does not get out of the way for the rest of the climb. So what is one to do?

William
03-26-2020, 05:22 PM
Serious question. Types 1, 2, or 3 EBikes are not allowed on my local trails per the state park website and the ranger station. The rule is clearly disregarded by many based on the number of EBikes I see in the park, mostly type 1 which are difficult to distinguish from non electric mtb’s. However I am not the fun police and don’t find it as my duty to enforce rules perhaps unless I saw some damage or disrespect to the environment or the compromising of public safety etc. Thus,

When I am grinding up a steep narrow climb and I hear the electric buzz approaching fast from behind, am I supposed to pull over and let them pass? Smile and wave while I am at it? Say “nice, good job, etc” as I would to a human powered rider? Often the grades are very steep and would require a dismount/hike/remount which I would oblige myself for someone who has outclimbed me under their own power but here I am talking about someone technically not abiding by the rules of the park. On the other hand it would be awkward if one does not get out of the way for the rest of the climb. So what is one to do?

Not sure why you wouldn't do the same as if it was someone pedaling under there own power? Unless you were looking to start something because they are on an e-bike (not saying you would). You already stated it wasn't your concern unless they were doing damage to the area. If it's really an issue and they aren't supposed to be there let them pass and talk to the local ranger/park police if you feel the need.

W.

JPS123
03-26-2020, 05:40 PM
Not sure why you wouldn't do the same as if it was someone pedaling under there own power? Unless you were looking to start something because they are on an e-bike (not saying you would). You already stated it wasn't your concern unless they were doing damage to the area. If it's really an issue and they aren't supposed to be there let them pass and talk to the local ranger/park police if you feel the need.

W.

Fair enough. Pick your battles. At the end of the day, at least we are all outside enjoying ourselves.

nmrt
03-26-2020, 06:03 PM
It's like if I were on the left lane and a car behind me, clearly way past the speed limit, wants to pass, I pull over to the right lane and let it pass.

I would let the electric bike pass me too but only when it is safe for me. Just like I would for do a bike.

Fair enough. Pick your battles. At the end of the day, at least we are all outside enjoying ourselves.