PDA

View Full Version : Zwift: So Much Promise, But...

foggypeake
03-25-2020, 04:15 PM
So every time that I try to ride Zwift, one of my signals drops. If it's not heart rate, then it's cadence. If it's not cadence, then it's the trainer itself dropping its signal.

I've used different dongles and extension cords. Right now, my Garmin dongle is under my bottom bracket, so it's not like my dongle is too far away to receive a signal.

I've got a Tacx Vortex Smart trainer that I bought new that I just calibrated using the Tacx app yesterday. I'm using a Garmin HRM and a GSC10 for cadence, both with fresh batteries. While I can't tell you my computer specs, I can tell you that my kids put it together using all Zwift-approved parts, specifically so that I could use it for this one purpose.

I'm beyond frustrated with this situation, it's almost like Zwift is tantalizing me just beyond my reach.

Any advice? Or is it time to realize that it's time to use another platform (like Trainerroad, which when I used it previously had absolutely no issues with connectivity).

fmradio516
03-25-2020, 04:19 PM
So every time that I try to ride Zwift, one of my signals drop. If it's not heart rate, then it's cadence. If it's not cadence, then it's the trainer itself dropping its signal.

I've used different dongles and extension cords. Right now, my Garmin dongle is under my bottom bracket, so it's not like my dongle is too far away to receive a signal.

I've got a Tacx Vortex Smart trainer that I bought new that I just calibrated using the Tacx app yesterday. I'm using a Garmin HRM and a GSC10 for cadence, both with fresh batteries. While I can't tell you my computer specs, I can tell you that my kids put it together using all Zwift-approved parts, specifically so that I could use it for this one purpose.

I'm beyond frustrated with this situation, it's almost like Zwift is tantalizing me just beyond my reach.

Any advice? Or is it time to realize that it's time to use another platform (like Trainerroad, which when I used it previously had absolutely no issues with connectivity).

so i dont know anything about zwift and barely anything about sensors, but i know when I had a HRM paired to my phone and my bar mounted GPS, the GPS would not register the signal from the HRM until i turned bluetooth off on my phone.

R3awak3n
03-25-2020, 04:20 PM
Probably unpopular opinion but zwift is meh. For how much yall paying monthly it should be MUCH better.

I switched to trainer road which costs more but it has been great. Great software, great plans, great podcast. I rather follow a graph and watch a movie than ride around a fictious world nade with poor 2001 computer graphics.

I rec trainer road, its 5stars. The plan builder is amazing.

Sufferfest is good as plans are good but dont want to watch cheesy videos with crappy music.

All this my opinion. Use what you want. :)

bigbill
03-25-2020, 04:20 PM
I don't have those issues with my Wahoo KICKR and Zwift. I use a fanless cpu to run Zwift and use ANT connections for everything. I tried Bluetooth but it was inconsistent. I run a USB extension cord to put the dongle right next to the trainer. My fanless cpu connects to my TV and has a 4k video card so I get a really great picture.

I had issues early on with my KICKR and this is my second one replaced under warranty, but they've been great with warranty response. My current unit is about a year old.

echappist
03-25-2020, 04:24 PM
So every time that I try to ride Zwift, one of my signals drops. If it's not heart rate, then it's cadence. If it's not cadence, then it's the trainer itself dropping its signal.

Put the Ant+ receiver (connected to your computer by a cable) slightly below the level of your top tube, and by your side (one ft away)

That resolved the issue i had, when i lived in an apartment complex

Alternatively, Bluetooth

andrew+
03-25-2020, 04:30 PM
I've used a Vortex Smart for years and years with Zwift.

Don't use Bluetooth.

You need a USB extension cord long enough to place the ANT+ receiver behind you, right by the rear wheel. (EDIT: to clarify, as close to the big resistance unit as possible)

The Vortex reads cadence just fine, so you can drop the cadence sensor.

Mikej
03-25-2020, 04:36 PM
I run Zwift on an I pad and use all wahoo works great

kppolich
03-25-2020, 04:36 PM

Is your bike in the same room with a WiFi router?
I had some ANT+ issues early on, but I switched my router channel and it's good. I also put my appletv on 5Gz to dedicate the 2.4 band to ANT+

ANT+ runs on 2.4 GHz, so interference is likely to occur if your router is also on 2.4 GHz and near your bike setup. Luckily, it's fairly simple to switch your WiFi's channel.

https://zwiftinsider.com/how-to-fix-ant-dropouts-in-zwift/

R3awak3n
03-25-2020, 04:37 PM

Don't use Bluetooth.

You need a USB extension cord long enough to place the ANT+ receiver behind you, right by the rear wheel.

If you use bluetooth you dont need an extender. Bluetooth range is way larger than ant+

andrew+
03-25-2020, 04:42 PM
If you use bluetooth you dont need an extender. Bluetooth range is way larger than ant+

Bluetooth leads to dropouts with my Vortex Smart + PC setup. Maybe yours is better, but I've ridden thousands of miles on Zwift and the above ANT+ setup has eliminated dropouts entirely. I think the Smart has a very weak signal.

Edit: My PC is also very close to my WiFi router, so that could be making things worse.

madsciencenow
03-25-2020, 04:49 PM
Never had issues with Zwift but mostly used BT connection through Stages and iPad or hammer h2 and iPad. I now use Rouvy and prefer it to Zwift. Maybe give it a try with the same set-up and see how it works.Rouvy usually will let you demo for a couple weeks for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcfarton
03-25-2020, 07:03 PM
Buy a 4th gen or newer Apple TV and just use that to zwift. It’s simple and displays on a tv. You can get a used one on eBay for 90ish$

FlashUNC
03-25-2020, 07:05 PM
Tried Zwift, switched to Sufferfest, no regrets. Much more my thing.

eippo1
03-25-2020, 07:37 PM

Don't use Bluetooth.

You need a USB extension cord long enough to place the ANT+ receiver behind you, right by the rear wheel. (EDIT: to clarify, as close to the big resistance unit as possible)

Yeah this. It will make everything better.

bigbill
03-25-2020, 08:35 PM
Yeah this. It will make everything better.

Mine is less than a foot from the KICKR. I use a Schosche HRM.

kramnnim
03-26-2020, 08:32 AM
Have you tried everything here? https://zwiftinsider.com/how-to-fix-ant-dropouts-in-zwift/

For me, the Zwift group rides and races are far more motivating than any graph. I've been "attending" one of the weekly group rides for several years, there's a voice chat using Discord and it's become a nice group of friends.

arcadian
03-26-2020, 08:46 AM
Once I switched to Ant+ i stopped having signal drop outs. As others have suggested, run a cord from your computer to an ant dongle under the trainer. I started with the Tacx Vortex adn switched to the Wahoo Kickr Core. I had the same problem with both trainers until I switched to Ant+.

The problem I was having is there are more devices running bluetooth in my home and for some reason they would create interference which would cause a signal drop (not fun in a race).

IJWS
03-27-2020, 10:07 AM
Probably unpopular opinion but zwift is meh. For how much yall paying monthly it should be MUCH better.

I switched to trainer road which costs more but it has been great. Great software, great plans, great podcast. I rather follow a graph and watch a movie than ride around a fictious world nade with poor 2001 computer graphics.

I rec trainer road, its 5stars. The plan builder is amazing.

Sufferfest is good as plans are good but dont want to watch cheesy videos with crappy music.

All this my opinion. Use what you want. :)

This did it for me.

I have been trying Zwift for recovery from a broken leg and I had a sneaking suspicion that it was just a little too gimicky. The graphics and user interface were horrible for something that costs more than HBO Go each month. I started doing the workouts and that has been the only fun I have managed to have on Zwift. But doing those workouts made me think "oh I would like to try to do something more structured". When you look at the bulk of what Zwift offers for structured plans, they all seem like gussied-up spin classes. I'm not sure that Zwift isn't the best way to spend my $15 a month.

Trainerroad looks much more disciplined and more in line with what I would expect from a training software.

I did try Rouvy per madsciencenow's comment. That was a world better graphics-wise and I'm intrigued by the ability to see what some of the big rides in Europe look like. I also like the family-plan type pricing. Zwift x 2 is just silly. I'm going to try one of the workouts today. I wish their user interface was a little cleaner. Their overlaid graphics look amateur in light of their more sophisticated AR approach.

There's no clear winner here, just a clear loser.

Ultimately, I would rather go outside!

unterhausen
03-27-2020, 10:18 AM
I suspect that zwift might be better for my endurance efforts because on Trainerroad I have trouble concentrating. I definitely like TR for intevals and structured training though.

kramnnim
03-27-2020, 10:37 AM
I suspect that zwift might be better for my endurance efforts because on Trainerroad I have trouble concentrating. I definitely like TR for intevals and structured training though.

Timing might be an problem depending on when you ride, but there are often some fairly long Zwift events (3.5+ hours, 100+ virtual miles) that have worked well for me. if I watch TV, my pace tends to taper off, in a virtual group I have to pay attention so I don't get virtually dropped.

93KgBike
03-27-2020, 11:12 AM
Tried Zwift, switched to Sufferfest, no regrets. Much more my thing.

https://media.tenor.com/images/0429414df60f4afa55f9c676fe71c20b/tenor.gif

unterhausen
03-27-2020, 11:32 AM
if I watch TV, my pace tends to taper off, in a virtual group I have to pay attention so I don't get virtually dropped.
that's what happens to me. I have trouble completing hour long workouts that have no intervals.

redir
03-27-2020, 11:42 AM
I'm using Tru-Trainer smart rollers on Zwift now and the only time I had problems was when the app for the rollers was running on my phone along with Zwift app. Once I shut down the Tru-Trainer app I never had connection issues. They were very clear about extending the dongle out to whichever device you are using which in my case is the rollers and a G3 hub.

As for Zwift as a training tool, It's been great for me. Otherwise no way I could tolerate spinning more then 30 minutes indoors. Do any of the other virtual apps for cycling have actual real time racing? Because the Zwift races are the real deal. They keep you honest that's for damn sure. I guess i could see how some people don't get along with the game like graphics but that doesn't bother me. It's kind of like how you can get really involved into a good book and you can picture everything when there are obviously no graphics.

But in Zwift racing as cheesy as the graphics might be when someone goes off the front and you start chasing it's as real as it gets in the comfort of your own home ;)

FlashUNC
03-27-2020, 11:50 AM
https://media.tenor.com/images/0429414df60f4afa55f9c676fe71c20b/tenor.gif

Zwift either needs to go full Mario Kart or try to move beyond PS2-level graphics for what they charge monthly.

And personally, I get more out of a structured workout/plan if I'm riding indoors than just hopping on to faff about.

C40_guy
03-27-2020, 12:00 PM
Zwift either needs to go full Mario Kart or try to move beyond PS2-level graphics for what they charge monthly.

And personally, I get more out of a structured workout/plan if I'm riding indoors than just hopping on to faff about.

For those of us who are both cyclists and runners...Zwift does offer structured workout plans for runners. And for runners, Zwift is still free...

I find the combination of Zwift and my half marathon playlist booming away on the stereo pretty useful. Far better than watching the talking heads on XXXBC or reruns of This Old House. :)

kramnnim
03-27-2020, 12:10 PM
Zwift graphics look poor compare to PS4/XB1, but they do scale to match the hardware. If it looks like a PS2 game, it's probably because you're running it on an old/weak computer. If you have a mid range video card it looks...better than PS3/XB360

Brian Smith
03-28-2020, 08:10 AM

Are you also using an ethernet cable connection for the zwift machine and banishing all wi-fi devices from a multi-room periphery of about 20 feet from the Ant+ dongle and sensors? If so, sorry, it's frustrating.

thunderworks
03-28-2020, 08:25 AM
I had somewhat similar issues until I started connecting through the Zwift Companion app on my phone. Connectivity is much more reliable through the Companion.

fkelly
03-29-2020, 09:05 AM
Give Rouvy a try for free. I'm using a Wahoo Kickr (the kind with a "flywheel" where you remove the rear bike wheel). Most sensors (power, speed, cadence, distance) are built into the kickr. They worked flawlessly with the Android Kickr app on my smartphone. I also use a Garmin dual HR sensor (bluetooth and Ant). It's connecting via bluetooth.

Yesterday I downloaded and installed the Rouvy Windows program on my laptop. Signed up for the free trial. Did a trial ride and a tough 6 mile climb up from Nice. Graphics were fine. It showed HR, cadence, grade, watts per KG etc. all the way up. It showed a couple other riders who were on the "course". I'm too old to race anyone so am not interested in that aspect. There are lots and lots of courses on Rouvy or you can add your own. There is even a one click connector to Ride With GPS where I store my outdoor activity. Did that click and the completed ride was stored there also.

There is a "connect my sensors" box on Rouvy, I clicked it once and was set up for good.

If you try Rouvy, you might want to complete the registration process including email validation of your new account before you do your ride. Otherwise your workout seems to be caught in limbo until registration is complete. (It's still a free trial at that stage). At $6 a month a year's subscription is going to cost less than one month at the local Y.

Edit: frustrating Sunday morning in the midst of the covid pandemic. Rouvy site is slow. Very slow. Suspect it is overwhelmed with indoor cyclists. And their free trial seems to be very limited. It seems like they give you one ride that works normally. After that you have to find "free ride" somewhere in their menu system and click it and you get a limited workout. Otherwise you can view the routes they have saved and see all the statistics for them, even a video of them but you can't do them like a workout where it adjusts your resistance to the grade. I may subscribe anyway just to find out but that's what I suspect. Their support postings are as clear as MUD.

mcfarton
04-19-2020, 10:10 AM
FulGaz is similar to rouvy. I think both have Apple TV apps. The Apple TV makes things a lot simpler than the whole laptop experience. I also find running to be a nice zwift alternative.

jchasse
04-19-2020, 10:33 AM
When my eons old Computrainer croaked, I was reluctant to get another trainer. But I caved and got an Elite Suito and gave Zwift a try. Using just a 5+ year old Mac Book everything was up and running in about 20 seconds out of the box, and has been 100% flawless for me.

I've done a few races and structured workouts, but I find that I prefer just doing the group rides. I always end up finding a group that requires serious effort to hang with, but I can still watch Netflix or whatever. I don't really care about the graphics quality so much. I just like the interaction and drafting dynamics...just like IRL, it's no fun getting dropped, so I find myself putting in more effort than I intended at the start.

foggypeake
04-19-2020, 04:01 PM
Put the Ant+ receiver (connected to your computer by a cable) slightly below the level of your top tube, and by your side (one ft away)

That resolved the issue i had, when i lived in an apartment complex

Alternatively, Bluetooth

This is what I finally did and (so far) it seems to work. Thank you for the suggestion.

Another possibility is interference from the router which is in the room directly over me, but moving the dongle next to me at top tube level has worked (for now).

unterhausen
04-19-2020, 06:51 PM
I finally decided to try zwift because a lot of randonneurs are on there right now. Turns out that 15 year old video cards aren't good enough for it, crashes at launch.

echappist
04-19-2020, 07:14 PM
This is what I finally did and (so far) it seems to work. Thank you for the suggestion.

Another possibility is interference from the router which is in the room directly over me, but moving the dongle next to me at top tube level has worked (for now).

You are welcome

Good point about the router. If at all possible, use 5 GHz, as Ant+ transmits using 2.4 GHz

C40_guy
04-19-2020, 07:18 PM
Are you also using an ethernet cable connection for the zwift machine and banishing all wi-fi devices from a multi-room periphery of about 20 feet from the Ant+ dongle and sensors? If so, sorry, it's frustrating.

That's a really good point...I've got an Apple Airport Extreme about 3 feet from the ANT+ dongle. I'll try replacing it with a wired hub while I'm Zwifting...

foggypeake
04-19-2020, 08:11 PM
You are welcome

Good point about the router. If at all possible, use 5 GHz, as Ant+ transmits using 2.4 GHz

Honestly, I'm petrified to touch the router. It has been my wife's livelihood, and now with schools being closed, it's mine (and my kids) as well.