PDA

View Full Version : Generator Question: 1993 Specialized Sequoia

scogordo
03-25-2020, 12:22 PM
I picked one up, looks like this but with drop bars for the hybrid-leery US market: https://forums.roadbikereview.com/attachments/commuting-touring-ride-reports/286467d1378817656-specialized-sequoia-frame-specialized-sequia.jpg

These have a cool built-in generator set up: a shift lever on the seat tube leading down to a roller that presses into the rear tire, wired to front and rear lights. The reputation on the lights wasn't great, so getting a bike with most of the bits is unusual. In this case, I'm missing the lights themselves.

Tried to get info on them from the period Specialized catalogs, not getting much. They appear to have been mounted on their rack. There is a wire extending from the generator, ending in a basic female snap button. I assume that the female snap connects into the light or a wire extending from the light. I have the original front aluminum fender, thought maybe someone insane set up wiring through the fender on a production bike, but at a glance i don't see a see a male couterpart on the fender.

Basically: anybody know about these things? Probably safe to assume the lights were binned for a reason, but I'd like to give it a whirl. I'm not much of an electrician, but if there's some way I could splice these into a flashlight or something to see if the generator is functioning, that might be cool. Or, if someone has been holding onto a 90s set of lights with a snap button connector, you may suddenly have an interested party!

xlbs
03-25-2020, 03:22 PM
They had a bottom bracket generator mounted on the rear chainstay bridge. The generator roller ran off the front of the rear tire. The wires ran through the frame up to the head tube, exiting just below the down tube lug.

I have one of the generators and a head lamp too.

My problem was that speed would burn out the bulb. My solution was to mount 2 head lamps side by side with a toggle switch that I flipped whenever I started to roll down a descent. This provided extra light and prevented a burnt out bulb.

unterhausen
03-25-2020, 03:27 PM
I would try running an LED headlight with that generator. I think you can still get sanyo generators like that. There are also LED taillights that will run off of a generator directly, but make sure because some need to go through the headlight.

josephr
03-26-2020, 04:05 AM
I had this exact same frame and rode it thru dirty kanza. I tried sourcing the spare parts for a rebuild thing, but they weren't high-end parts back in the day and most frames have now been stripped of the light parts anyhow. And finding the OEM generator engagement lever would be the absolute needle-in-a-field-of-haystacks. I gave up and sold that frame a long time ago (to a fellow Paceliner). , IIRC, there's holes inside the front fork that you could run wires through...not really sure. Anyway, a dynamo hub would be more water resistant and produce a more reliable, stable current for running lights. Plus with LEDs, you'll have enough juice to keep a garmin charged.

scogordo
03-26-2020, 09:49 AM
A few points of clarification that may or may not be necessary:

this frame is tigged, not lugged, looks and feels very much like a Giant. Wires are external.
Intact: lever, roller assembly, wires. All looks okay, haven't tested. I suppose I could engage the roller, hold the snap button, and feel for a charge to test?

I'm looking for a cheeeep diy way to see if this thing works, even if suboptimal at best. I have blinkies and could always put a hub generator on, but for right now I'm in a kind of "proof of concept" stage.

josephr
03-26-2020, 07:24 PM
I'm in a kind of "proof of concept" stage.

I think time has answered that question for you. Build it up as a loaded touring bike and circle the country. :cool: