PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Farrar

echappist
03-25-2020, 10:33 AM
I’ve always had a soft spot for him, as he comes across as someone who realizes that there is more to just the microcosm of pro-cycling.

Glad to see him find contentment in life, and helping his community, no less.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/firefighter-farrar-from-one-dream-job-to-another/

XXtwindad
03-25-2020, 10:39 AM
Nice article. They must have a special uniform to fit his quads.
My favorite paragraph:

“His remote relationship with social media also remains. Farrar was never a fan of Facebook or Twitter. He still has neither, and the same goes for Instagram, and one presumes TikTok, and whatever else is being rammed down throats these days. “

old fat man
03-25-2020, 10:57 AM
Nice to know he found a good fit post cycling. Scary time to be a civil servant in Kirkland WA.

ultraman6970
03-25-2020, 10:58 AM
Im happy for him, he went there, he tried... he sucked up in the richmond WC when he went for it with a few guys for a few miles, that was impressive. He looks happy... which is the main thing now a days. Many guys get off the bike and game over.

The problem with the sport at those levels is that the guys cant go to school, only a few do because u have to be focused breathing bike 200% of the day.

Elefantino
03-25-2020, 12:01 PM
Tyler is a great guy ... honest, forthright, funny and warm.

I'll never forget how open he was about the death of his close friend, Wouter Weylandt.

The Kirkland FD is lucky!

Blue Jays
03-25-2020, 12:08 PM
He is undoubtedly the fastest rider at the annual Kirkland FD fireman's picnic informal bicycle race. :hello:

earlfoss
03-25-2020, 12:10 PM
Man, good for him. He appears to be genuinely enjoying life post-retirement.

MattTuck
03-25-2020, 12:17 PM
I've heard that many retired pro athletes and military vets really miss the team camaraderie that comes with being part of a tight group. Glad he found a second act.

Kirkland is a funny town. Lots of Maseratis and lifted 4Runner TRDs doing regular street parking.

echappist
03-25-2020, 12:22 PM
He is undoubtedly the fastest rider at the annual Kirkland FD fireman's picnic informal bicycle race. :hello:

they ought to have him drag 5 kids in a bicycle rickshaw, just to make it fair

throw on a rusty chain while they are at it

Spaghetti Legs
03-25-2020, 01:42 PM
Good story, thanks for posting. I pursued a career as a firefighter for a couple of years before changing directions. At that time (25 years ago) it was not easy to land a job out West. Good to see him settle into an honorable, productive career.

I remember, on a trip to Italy around 2010 seeing a life size cutout of him, I think in Florence, in an eyewear store. I was kind of surprised, considering the other more popular Italian riders around.

Overshot
03-25-2020, 08:24 PM
Nice article for sure!

Chris
03-25-2020, 08:55 PM
He’s just copying Matt Svatek. Nothing to see here, move along...:)

Velocipede
03-25-2020, 09:07 PM
I remember making some custom shoes for him and a bunch of other Garmin guys and the entire Juniors team. They were all pretty good guys including Tyler. Glad he's doing something he loves.

hoonjr
03-26-2020, 02:14 PM
He’s just copying Matt Svatek. Nothing to see here, move along...:)

Damn not a name you see referenced often but a living legend in New England. The hair game alone puts him in the all of fame. Rumor has it he did the entire RAS in the big ring to win a bet.

Chris
03-26-2020, 03:51 PM
Damn not a name you see referenced often but a living legend in New England. The hair game alone puts him in the all of fame. Rumor has it he did the entire RAS in the big ring to win a bet.

I figured it would ring a bell with some. There’s no better guy around. I know a few people involved with that team and they all swear he did. He told me he did and he’s not the type to brag.

An almost better story is the first year he started riding, he wanted to ride every day and not miss a day. One day he was traveling and wasn’t going to get home in time. During a layover, he goes to a local Target, takes a bike off the rack, pumps up the tires and rides laps in the store until they kick him out.