PDA

View Full Version : driving out of the city to go for a ride

arimajol
03-25-2020, 10:31 AM
I live in a big midwestern city and though we have some nice bike paths, I want to try some new road riding. I'm bored of the 4 directions I can go on the paths and I also want to stay away from people.

Can someone please tell me that it's okay to drive to the country to do some riding through scenic countryside? I'm talking about maybe a half hour drive. Just please confirm that this is acceptable. I feel guilty driving to go for a ride, when I could just ride from my house. I know this is neurotic, but just humor me!

Who else does this?

arimajol
03-25-2020, 10:34 AM
I forgot I'm not supposed to drive anywhere. Ugh.

AngryScientist
03-25-2020, 10:39 AM
sure, why not?

let's keep in mind the actual state of affairs we are in and what the goals are.

your small part in the big goal is to not spread the virus. getting in your car alone, driving alone to a more remote location and riding your bike alone do nothing to spread the virus, so it's OK.

pncguy
03-25-2020, 10:42 AM
It makes total sense to me to drive away from a city to go for a ride. I think what They would be worried about is when you stop to pee or get gas or stock up on snacks.

The Denver metro area is on stay-at-home orders starting tomorrow at 8 am and They say not to drive unless doing something critical. I don't know how a drive to ride would be viewed.

Let me be clear, though: I would NOT feel guilty if I didn't come into contact with anyone. Like - pack snacks, pee in a bottle or on the side of the woods, don't fill the gas tank while away...

arimajol
03-25-2020, 10:45 AM
Our "safer at home" officially started this morning. But it's in the 50s for the first time today. State parks are still open and are now free, which are not within walking distance of hardly anyone. So driving for outdoor recreation purposes must be okay

fmradio516
03-25-2020, 10:50 AM
Our "safer at home" officially started this morning. But it's in the 50s for the first time today. State parks are still open and are now free, which are not within walking distance of hardly anyone. So driving for outdoor recreation purposes must be okay

careful regarding parks. parks/mountain bike trails outside the city this past weekend around here were PACKED in record numbers with people walking around with their kids/families. i rode for about 20 mins and then left. too many people on the trail.

XXtwindad
03-25-2020, 10:50 AM
It's a really interesting question. I think one of the greatest (and perhaps only) side benefit of the pandemic has been the noticeable absence of cars. It's just so much more peaceful. I would err on the side of not doing it.

However, that's relatively easy for me to say, since I live in one of the best cycling meccas in the world (the Bay Area).I don't have to drive to great cycling. But, to play devil's advocate, if many people chose that option, you'd start to have traffic jams again.

I understand the need to escape. Tough call.

Tickdoc
03-25-2020, 10:55 AM
I live in a big midwestern city and though we have some nice bike paths, I want to try some new road riding. I'm bored of the 4 directions I can go on the paths and I also want to stay away from people.

Can someone please tell me that it's okay to drive to the country to do some riding through scenic countryside? I'm talking about maybe a half hour drive. Just please confirm that this is acceptable. I feel guilty driving to go for a ride, when I could just ride from my house. I know this is neurotic, but just humor me!

Who else does this?

Go for it! I feel lucky that I am on the edge of town so I have country roads pretty much from my doorstep. If I had to trails out I wouldn’t hesitate to drive to a parking lot on the outskirts and head out from there.

Have fun and stay safe!

I have friends who are not riding because they don’t want to get hurt and have to go to a hospital but it is all acceptible risk if you ask me.

joosttx
03-25-2020, 10:56 AM
You are not allowed to come to Marin and ride. The only way to do it legally is ride from your home.

https://www.marincounty.org/main/county-press-releases/press-releases/2020/hhs-covid-parksclosure-032220

The order comes one day after Bay Area residents flocked to Marin locations for recreation, putting vulnerable residents at risk because of unsafe social distancing and traffic that clogged the roads in beach communities. Sgt. Brenton Schneider of the Marin County Sheriff’s Office said grocery store workers and restaurant personnel were inundated with visitors who were not respecting public health guidelines on keeping six feet away from other people.
“They are experiencing typical summer crowds or even bigger,” Schneider said. “This is creating unsafe conditions for employees working at businesses that are staying open because they are deemed essential. Those workers are being overwhelmed and they are fearful about all the close contact that they’re witnessing.”
Marin’s shelter-in-place order went into effect March 16 along with six other Bay Area jurisdictions, and Governor Gavin Newsom followed with a statewide stay-at-home directive on March 18.

XXtwindad
03-25-2020, 11:01 AM
You are not allowed to come to Marin and ride. The only way to do it legally is ride from your home.

https://www.marincounty.org/main/county-press-releases/press-releases/2020/hhs-covid-parksclosure-032220

The order comes one day after Bay Area residents flocked to Marin locations for recreation, putting vulnerable residents at risk because of unsafe social distancing and traffic that clogged the roads in beach communities. Sgt. Brenton Schneider of the Marin County Sheriff’s Office said grocery store workers and restaurant personnel were inundated with visitors who were not respecting public health guidelines on keeping six feet away from other people.
“They are experiencing typical summer crowds or even bigger,” Schneider said. “This is creating unsafe conditions for employees working at businesses that are staying open because they are deemed essential. Those workers are being overwhelmed and they are fearful about all the close contact that they’re witnessing.”
Marin’s shelter-in-place order went into effect March 16 along with six other Bay Area jurisdictions, and Governor Gavin Newsom followed with a statewide stay-at-home directive on March 18.

I don’t get this. So, I can cross the bridge and ride into Marin? Along with anyone else on a bike? I just can’t drive in?

C40_guy
03-25-2020, 11:06 AM
careful regarding parks. parks/mountain bike trails outside the city this past weekend around here were PACKED in record numbers with people walking around with their kids/families. i rode for about 20 mins and then left. too many people on the trail.

Come down to the Cape and ride Trail of Tears. You might not see another person for an hour. 60 minutes from your door to trailhead.

But don't tell anyone! :)

C40_guy
03-25-2020, 11:07 AM
I don’t get this. So, I can cross the bridge and ride into Marin? Along with anyone else on a bike? I just can’t drive in?

Well, the requirement to *ride* there might cut down on people driving to the site as a destination...

fmradio516
03-25-2020, 11:18 AM
Come down to the Cape and ride Trail of Tears. You might not see another person for an hour. 60 minutes from your door to trailhead.

But don't tell anyone! :)

thanks for the heads up, is that the one in Barnstable? Have you done it? Is it pretty technical? Will plan a trip if so! Thanks!

Skenry
03-25-2020, 11:22 AM
I forgot I'm not supposed to drive anywhere. Ugh.

I don't know what state you live in but outside of the tourist sanctuaries of SoCal and NYC, I haven't heard of any Shelter states that prohibit driving. Hop in the car, and go take a ride.

echappist
03-25-2020, 11:24 AM

IANAL

From the info you provided, it would appear that you reside in either Madison or Milwaukee (most likely the latter), as Wisconsin just implemented the stay-at-home rules, while making state park access free.

There's the issue of what is legal, and there's the issue of what is best practice from public health perspective.

For the former, I would think you are in a gray area (though more toward the okay side of things). Were you to drive out 30 minutes and then ride on a trail, you would be driving to visit a state park, which is how trails are classified in Wisconsin. Such would appear okay under the rules. Riding on the road is still technically allowed, but I'm not sure how much leeway you would get when you have to drive out to start your ride (though, again, it would be a stretch to construe this as something not allowed).

For the latter, you have to ask yourself whether you may pose a burden to the communities you visit, if something untoward were to occur. But then again, the same issue would apply, even if you were to follow the rules as stated (by riding from your house and then onto the roads). We all like to think that we are better than average at maneuvering our bikes, and that the likelihood of being on the receiving end of a collision is low, but neither can be ruled out. The counties you visit may or may not have the capacity to handle another ER visit.

This, of course, doesn't take into account of increased incidence of vigilantism that you may encounter.

Andy sti
03-25-2020, 11:27 AM

Who else does this?

Is this just in general or specific to the current virus situation?

I think it's fine to drive out of town to have better and safer cycling roads. Look at mountain bikers - in most of the country they have to drive to trail heads. You'd be doing essentially the same thing. If you make the ride "worth it" then drive out of town. I think driving to a better start location is more common than you think.

C40_guy
03-25-2020, 11:27 AM
thanks for the heads up, is that the one in Barnstable? Have you done it? Is it pretty technical? Will plan a trip if so! Thanks!

Yes, Barnstable. Trailhead is on Race Lane. Multiple trails, ranging from wide greenlane to some moderately technical rock (and root) hopping, modest vert, single track with lots of switch backs.

I mostly run the trails versus ride...the more technical trails are too much for my 'cross bike, and my primary mountain bike has a U brake and steep angles.

The local NEMBA chapter (CC NEMBA) is pretty active, and seems to be filling the lot on weekend mornings. Hope they're practicing social distancing. That having been said... I really do not see many people out. Midday Sunday, over two hours, I saw 4-5 riders and a similar number of walkers.

Of course, now that I mentioned it here, everyone fighting for spots at Lynn Woods or Callahan State Park will be headed here...

Blue Hills may be another option for you...it's got a pretty extensive trail network...

arimajol
03-25-2020, 11:40 AM
IANAL

From the info you provided, it would appear that you reside in either Madison or Milwaukee (most likely the latter), as Wisconsin just implemented the stay-at-home rules, while making state park access free.

There's the issue of what is legal, and there's the issue of what is best practice from public health perspective.

For the former, I would think you are in a gray area (though more toward the okay side of things). Were you to drive out 30 minutes and then ride on a trail, you would be driving to visit a state park, which is how trails are classified in Wisconsin. Such would appear okay under the rules. Riding on the road is still technically allowed, but I'm not sure how much leeway you would get when you have to drive out to start your ride (though, again, it would be a stretch to construe this as something not allowed).

For the latter, you have to ask yourself whether you may pose a burden to the communities you visit, if something untoward were to occur. But then again, the same issue would apply, even if you were to follow the rules as stated (by riding from your house and then onto the roads). We all like to think that we are better than average at maneuvering our bikes, and that the likelihood of being on the receiving end of a collision is low, but neither can be ruled out. The counties you visit may or may not have the capacity to handle another ER visit.

This, of course, doesn't take into account of increased incidence of vigilantism that you may encounter.

Nice detective work! I'm in Milwaukee, thinking of driving out to the North Kettle Moraine area, around Kewaskum to do some road riding. Since I'm probably going to ride with my wife this afternoon and her road bike still has a trainer tire on, we will probably stay around the city today. But I am itchy to get out in the hilly farmland sometime soon.

arimajol
03-25-2020, 11:41 AM
Is this just in general or specific to the current virus situation?

I think it's fine to drive out of town to have better and safer cycling roads. Look at mountain bikers - in most of the country they have to drive to trail heads. You'd be doing essentially the same thing. If you make the ride "worth it" then drive out of town. I think driving to a better start location is more common than you think.

The original question was in general, yeah. It's just a shift for me personally to think about it, as I've evolved from a commuter into more a road-rider type. Then once I remembered the virus policies, it got more complicated. I forgot about the orders because I've pretty much stayed home almost 2 weeks now.

Andy sti
03-25-2020, 11:45 AM
We used to drive to the Kettle to MTB all the time. Then, in the winter, we'd drive to the north Kettle or Lapham to ski. Then throw in the races...Ugh, so much driving!!

Now I often don't even have to unclip for a 3+ hour ride! :banana:

echappist
03-25-2020, 11:53 AM
Nice detective work! I'm in Milwaukee, thinking of driving out to the North Kettle Moraine area, around Kewaskum to do some road riding. Since I'm probably going to ride with my wife this afternoon and her road bike still has a trainer tire on, we will probably stay around the city today. But I am itchy to get out in the hilly farmland sometime soon.

and the other thing is, if the trails here in Madison are any indication, the trails in and near Milwaukee are probably landmines...

My wife went out on a ride last week and she reported seeing numerous runners, cyclists, families on bikes (including kids), and families with dogs, all using the trail. Just sounded like the perfect place to get into a collision. In that regard, riding on the road may not be as bad.

robt57
03-25-2020, 11:57 AM
reported seeing numerous runners, cyclists, families on bikes (including kids), and families with dogs, all using the trail. Just sounded like the perfect place to get into a collision. In that regard, riding on the road may not be as bad.

Same here, instead I am going in the hills nearer to my house. Telling the wife where I will be, and hoping for no hospital visits. It is not like I would stop in route on a store, and bike paths wise more choices to do that. Out in the boonies/hills, no stores.

arimajol
03-25-2020, 11:58 AM
and the other thing is, if the trails here in Madison are any indication, the trails in and near Milwaukee are probably landmines...

My wife went out on a ride last week and she reported seeing numerous runners, cyclists, families on bikes (including kids), and families with dogs, all using the trail. Just sounded like the perfect place to get into a collision. In that regard, riding on the road may not be as bad.

That's what I'm thinking. It's the first time up in the 50s here, plus everybody is cooped up. I'm going to try to talk my wife into it. She's apprehensive of riding on country roads, but the trails are going to be a zoo.

Spdntrxi
03-25-2020, 11:59 AM
remote solo road riding is where it's at right now.

Trails are too crowded with hikers.. I have not tried since parking lots were closed so that might help.

echappist
03-25-2020, 12:07 PM
That's what I'm thinking. It's the first time up in the 50s here, plus everybody is cooped up. I'm going to try to talk my wife into it. She's apprehensive of riding on country roads, but the trails are going to be a zoo.

Perhaps try the Drumlin Trail (I know it's heading West as opposed to North). There's also the trail from Eden going northward.

Given the population density, I doubt it'll be nearly as bad as it is closer to the population centers.

Perhaps take the road out and trail back (though I don't know how bumpy they may be)?

arimajol
03-25-2020, 12:24 PM
Perhaps try the Drumlin Trail (I know it's heading West as opposed to North). There's also the trail from Eden going northward.

Given the population density, I doubt it'll be nearly as bad as it is closer to the population centers.

Perhaps take the road out and trail back (though I don't know how bumpy they may be)?

Thanks for the suggestions! Last June I rode the Drumlin Milwaukee to Madison and hardly saw another soul. I wonder what it's like these days. Probably plenty people near the towns but it couldn't be as bad as urban MUPs.

slowpoke
03-25-2020, 01:03 PM
before you think you're going to a remote area or a small town, think hard whether it's someone else's home.

E.g.

https://twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/1242793516302061568
In my home area of Berkshire County, MA, the superrich from the city who own second homes have come up en masse, buying up all the food and refusing to quarantine. The latter means they will overwhelm an already insufficient healthcare system.

https://twitter.com/StanleyIdahome/status/1241774570593382403
Some #Covid19 thoughts from #Stanley We don’t have recycling infrastructure and you think we can handle this?
Each & every one of you traipsing into town because you’re bored is putting our lives at risk.

1. Pack it in and pack it out. Many of us drive our recycling 72 or 128 miles. Please take it with you.

2. Stop bringing plastic water bottles. Our water is delicious. Bring containers & refill them.

3. Don’t drive like an asshole through town. Speed limit is 35 & stop signs

Everyone's got the same damn idea of going out to some rural countryside to stretch their legs. That's not what shelter-at-home means. It's boring, yeah. Clean the garage/basement. Read a book. Play some video games.

robt57
03-25-2020, 01:14 PM
remote solo road riding is where it's at right now.

Trails are too crowded with hikers.. I have not tried since parking lots were closed so that might help.

THIS^^^^^

And all it took was one MUTT ride to see there wuz way too many folk with the same idea..

robt57
03-25-2020, 01:21 PM
Everyone's got the same damn idea of going out to some rural countryside to stretch their legs. That's not what shelter-at-home means. It's boring, yeah. Clean the garage/basement. Read a book. Play some video games.

And This^^^^

Even my solo near house rides are potential risk for others. You fall, a dog gets you off the bike. Who ever may help you is being put at risk as much as they are putting you at risk. Spade/spade, let's face it.

I am doing hill repeats near my house on nice days. Slow down, slower up. That is about as irresponsible as I am willing to be. Still a level of irresponsibility. As of yesterday, the zero reported jumped to 3 in my county. Even though I am on the outskirts, that number will likely go up before down, bet on it.

Time to use the old Computrainer...

arimajol
03-25-2020, 01:22 PM
before you think you're going to a remote area or a small town, think hard whether it's someone else's home.

E.g.

https://twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/1242793516302061568

https://twitter.com/StanleyIdahome/status/1241774570593382403

Agreed. I'm thinking to park at a trailhead outside of town, avoid contact with all people. No buying anything at all.

C40_guy
03-25-2020, 01:50 PM
Agreed. I'm thinking to park at a trailhead outside of town, avoid contact with all people. No buying anything at all.

In other words, act like a teenager with a huge zit on their forehead. :)

MikeD
03-25-2020, 02:01 PM

That article reads that it only applies to parks. If I drive over there, park and ride on the street, I don't see where that's prohibited.

C40_guy
03-25-2020, 02:05 PM
That article reads that it only applies to parks. If I drive over there, park and ride on the street, I don't see where that's prohibited.

Please, follow the spirit of the law. If you see other people, it's not your time to visit the park, no matter how you got there. Gramma appreciates it.

merckxman
03-25-2020, 05:33 PM
For NYC residents they are saying if you leave the city to go to another location to stay you should quarantine for 14 days. Based on that it doesn't sound like driving elsewhere from there to ride wouldn't be a good idea either.

Up in the Adirondacks some towns are asking people to not come to hike.

joosttx
03-25-2020, 05:46 PM
Please, follow the spirit of the law. If you see other people, it's not your time to visit the park, no matter how you got there. Gramma appreciates it.

Thats the deal. What happened in Marin last weekend was everyone in their dog came out clogged HWY 1, the Beaches, the Trailheads, Tennesse Valley and all parts in between. One-third of Marin County is above the age of 65. Seeing a mass rush to the county to enjoy is natural beauty is not safe for the residents and they are complaining big time.

arimajol
03-25-2020, 07:01 PM
I know you were all super invested in this, so here is how it went. I drive halfway to the destination and I was so preoccupied trying not to forget my shoes that I forgot my helmet. *Cue helmet debate thread*

I ended up driving home and just riding around the city. Stopped by a friend's house and wolf howled until they came out on the porch to chat from a distance.

XXtwindad
03-25-2020, 07:06 PM
I know you were all super invested in this, so here is how it went. I drive halfway to the destination and I was so preoccupied trying not to forget my shoes that I forgot my helmet. *Cue helmet debate thread*

I ended up driving home and just riding around the city. Stopped by a friend's house and wolf howled until they came out on the porch to chat from a distance.

That was the best post of the thread. Congrats. I love the “wolf howl.”

daker13
03-25-2020, 07:51 PM

Who else does this?

Setting aside the coronavirus situation (which is what most of your responses are addressing), I can totally relate to the sentiment, because I often wrestle with the same question. From where I live now, it's about 8 miles to the good farm roads and sometimes I just don't feel like dealing with the 16 miles of extra riding... and I *do* sometimes feel guilty about that, because really, it's clearly better not to get in a car. It's like, 'If I'm going to ride that 16 miles, I'd prefer to drive and then ride 16 more miles of nice backcountry roads, rather than 16 miles of suburban traffic hell (with a few dicey road crossings).'

What it comes down to for me is, if I ride out to the nice farm roads, it's basically roads I've ridden hundreds of times at this point... but if I'm willing to drive for half an hour, I can get to some really nice routes in southern Rhode Island, or nice coastal roads in Massachusetts, or... So for the most part I ride from my front door, but sometimes I'll drive a bit and then park somewhere just to ride somewhere new. (Time is a really big factor here, because the bike ride ends up being more like half a day than a couple of hours.)

stev0
03-25-2020, 08:00 PM
This seems to be the standard m.o. in Alabama. The road infastructure does not accommodate for cyclists anywhere (it seems), but driving out of town means there will be less traffic on the roads. It makes it harder for me to get going, but I'm trying to get accustomed to this being the norm. Go for it!

arimajol
03-25-2020, 08:33 PM
Setting aside the coronavirus situation (which is what most of your responses are addressing), I can totally relate to the sentiment, because I often wrestle with the same question. From where I live now, it's about 8 miles to the good farm roads and sometimes I just don't feel like dealing with the 16 miles of extra riding... and I *do* sometimes feel guilty about that, because really, it's clearly better not to get in a car. It's like, 'If I'm going to ride that 16 miles, I'd prefer to drive and then ride 16 more miles of nice backcountry roads, rather than 16 miles of suburban traffic hell (with a few dicey road crossings).'

What it comes down to for me is, if I ride out to the nice farm roads, it's basically roads I've ridden hundreds of times at this point... but if I'm willing to drive for half an hour, I can get to some really nice routes in southern Rhode Island, or nice coastal roads in Massachusetts, or... So for the most part I ride from my front door, but sometimes I'll drive a bit and then park somewhere just to ride somewhere new. (Time is a really big factor here, because the bike ride ends up being more like half a day than a couple of hours.)

Yes, that's it. For me it's also a question of time. I feel guilty taking that extra time it takes to drive.

MikeD
03-25-2020, 08:39 PM
I think that if I never did out of town rides (i.e., rode only from home), I probably would never have taken up cycling.

JAGI410
03-25-2020, 09:01 PM
The Minnesota "Stay at Home" order starting this weekend includes "driving for pleasure" on the acceptable recreation list. So I'd assume a nice pleasure cruise out to the country to ride a bicycle is perfectly fine.

Just be safe and smart about it.

Lionel
03-26-2020, 04:21 AM
Until measures are very clear, drastic and enforced people will try to find ways to work around them. It was the case here. Now you cannot ride or walk more than 1km away from your house, once per day and for 1h max. All all this with a paper that you filled out before leaving your house with date time and signature. Fine is 135euros and enforced. Second time is 1500euros.

To be effective a lock down cannot be left to individual interpretation.

joosttx
03-26-2020, 05:28 PM
Marin public lands are closed.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49702031486_0215b595a4_b.jpg

I imagine people will park in the towns which will cause a big crackdown too.

MikeD
03-26-2020, 06:32 PM
Marin public lands are closed.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49702031486_0215b595a4_b.jpg

I imagine people will park in the towns which will cause a big crackdown too.

Is that keeping you from riding? I assume you can still ride on the roads, like out in upper Marin County (Marshall-Petaluma, Chelino Valley, etc.).

arimajol
04-13-2020, 10:06 AM
Update:
I went for it last Sunday and again yesterday. Drove about 25 minutes out of the city and rode about 2 hours each time, through some small towns and rolling farmland. Yesterday it was a little chilly, in the mid-40s, with rain on the way but made it 30 miles with a handful of raindrops. I stopped at the birthplace of Flag Day and also saw a sandhill crane, blue heron, redtail hawk, and blooming skunk cabbage. I didn't go in anywhere or touch anything.
Thanks for the encouragement to get out there.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/jr_QYnXsRHYqZkrWd0x_H2hSqcbqBH2YPJRdxI6G9RSIDnjs9a OqVc06dh8VWDyG834gm80Bmp5VhFLvEIB9YWlyDt6v68jmPkG6 UwugnfJ1tVo8eLiptnvfByL0ohWC-26gxsh4xS3zpCXb2CtGoTikmSkPiIBBRmtXSQq26HNhUN9tN1g ZrmWgl5u9JpZtpwMmiNh7-feKTPbSRQDGqrBPc1GgDGQtSAW0pHhLQu2SQDY6680WUar8tWc 36f5X6wJ81Qu1rVFOWGdjSwgo71bLSAPuJaX8ZzO9Xst7UTBc6 aZNsYTdm2nDT-PZbo2mRXRSMoba7Mv7Zc2QFcNWmf5eUiJT-YITM0jHEKFZIwszePmK8e4lpQNGvjeSyqa6w34UsST6GHu6yAK WCIBFgWA3O3waT1uRxWoF5IDGorYtsq9LDl45bxPMF25UXtuYk 8Nw-Av1K2rZe71B9Ov39IbFTCQ4bxCfYIXl-YpUer6CoDhW1hkAhVJo9yoYMAWqzbdlkn6K4oA5HXkfk1ZjQbC HR0gcFqWS2U6kipiZHfuMfyuyKD62tdsL8kfuv6nZrwYZypsbA puUopJcq7w3th2OvHMRjd9afvZNNFwVOhXDM90sMm22UECp40T 3bGStX8i6rPNem8dolhhrySkNM1S5yNS1DvegbRXQYaxbaKQLK 7hejrXXuEbC9xGVAOQ=w1542-h1152-no

echappist
04-13-2020, 10:36 AM
Very nice!

Looks like a former railroad station/depot of some kind? Was this to the north or west of Milwaukee?

arimajol
04-13-2020, 10:52 AM
Very nice!

Looks like a former railroad station/depot of some kind? Was this to the north or west of Milwaukee?

It's Stony Hill School, between Waubeka and Fredonia, north of Milwaukee. I parked in Saukville and was on county highways in a mile or two.