PDA

View Full Version : OT: Love in the Time of the Apocalypse

XXtwindad
03-25-2020, 08:59 AM
Ostensibly, this would seem to be a horrible time to be single. A horrible time to be coupled, too. But as a species, we're still wired for intimacy and connection. Which is really what this site is all about. (minus the intimacy. just speaking for myself here.)

I've actually found that people are eager to reconnect. And then some. I'm not a big on-line dater, (Match, Tinder, etc...) but I would think that those sites are doing very, very well, which might be a little counterintuitive.

I'm sure that for some people those concerns seem trite, in light of the current zeitgeist. But that belies the simple fact that isolation is horrible for the soul.

Off the top of head, I can think of two ramifications. 1) Now is a really good time to own telecom stock, which is probably glaringly obvious. 2) There might be a whole new lexicon necessary (particularly among Millennials) as people emerge from prolonged hibernation. People texting each other wondering …. "well, what exactly was that?"

FlashUNC
03-25-2020, 09:14 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/5t9wJjyHAOxvnxcPNk/giphy.gif

saab2000
03-25-2020, 09:17 AM
Ostensibly, this would seem to be a horrible time to be single.

Ostensibly, it's never a horrible time to be single.

AngryScientist
03-25-2020, 09:18 AM
But that belies the simple fact that isolation is horrible for the soul.

disagree.

i was actually watching a documentary last night about solo single-handed sailing across the world. months absolutely alone on the ocean in a smallish boat.

as long as i can carry enough scotch, they sounds like exactly what my soul is craving!

p nut
03-25-2020, 09:23 AM
. months absolutely alone on the ocean in a smallish boat..!

XXtwindad
03-25-2020, 09:23 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/5t9wJjyHAOxvnxcPNk/giphy.gif

Man, that makes two of us. Huge Jeff Goldblum fan. Making it sexy to be a nerd!
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/pam9bm/we-ah-talked-to-jeff-goldblum-and-uh-it-was-excellent

rallizes
03-25-2020, 09:26 AM
disagree.

i was actually watching a documentary last night about solo single-handed sailing across the world. months absolutely alone on the ocean in a smallish boat.

as long as i can carry enough scotch, they sounds like exactly what my soul is craving!

If it wasn't Deep Water (2006) about Donald Crowhurst I would recommend it highly. Pretty dark but fascinating.

Mr. Pink
03-25-2020, 09:29 AM
I remember reading right after 9/11 of many hooking up just to find connection. Unfortunately, that would be like a gay man returning to the baths in 1983 for many singles today. Roll the dice.....

Tony
03-25-2020, 09:31 AM
disagree.

Forgot the name of a doctor who was sailing around the world when he had a appendicitis. He lashed himself to the mast and performed the operation on himself.

XXtwindad
03-25-2020, 09:32 AM
I remember reading right after 9/11 of many hooking up just to find connection. Unfortunately, that would be like a gay man returning to the baths in 1983 for many singles today. Roll the dice.....

Yes, there will be “hooking up.” But for the near future, it will be virtual. Which will be disease free. To the best of my knowledge, anyway.

Jaybee
03-25-2020, 09:32 AM
I've seen predictions of a baby boom 9 months from now. I love my kids, but I think 99% of those babies will be firstborn.

seanile
03-25-2020, 09:34 AM
2) There might be a whole new lexicon necessary (particularly among Millennials) as people emerge from prolonged hibernation

can we move on from millennials being a buzzword? we're in our 30s now.

Tony
03-25-2020, 09:41 AM
Yes, there will be “hooking up.” But for the near future, it will be virtual. Which will be disease free. To the best of my knowledge, anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X79-kc4NSpM

OtayBW
03-25-2020, 09:45 AM
I do not agree that that we're necessarily 'wired for intimacy', nor that 'isolation is horrible for the soul'. Some people gain strength from it.
I ride not for a social inclusion, for example, but rather to have some measure of quietude, or isolation within my surroundings if you will. I suspect that applies to a fair number of people.

XXtwindad
03-25-2020, 09:54 AM
I do not agree that that we're necessarily 'wired for intimacy', nor that 'isolation is horrible for the soul'. Some people gain strength from it.
I ride not for a social inclusion, for example, but rather to have some measure of quietude, or isolation within my surroundings if you will. I suspect that applies to a fair number of people.

Yes, but what you're talking about is "introversion" rather than "forced isolation." There's a reason that solitary confinement is considered "cruel and unusual" punishment. I ride for the same reasons as you. And, it's also true that people tending toward the introverted side of the personality scale will probably fare much better than people who are more extroverted.

But I think it's safe to say that there will be a "crisis of loneliness" due to the pandemic, and that people will go to great lengths to mitigate it.

joosttx
03-25-2020, 10:11 AM
To quote one of my favorite poets,

"when you turn the corner
And you run into yourself
then you know you have turned
all the corners left"

- Langston Hughes.

C40_guy
03-25-2020, 11:15 AM
Ostensibly, this would seem to be a horrible time to be single. A horrible time to be coupled, too.

With regard to the former, our 30YO son says Facetime dating is not quite the same as being there.

Not too sure about the latter. Watch for a bump in birthrate at the end of this year.

AngryScientist
03-25-2020, 11:18 AM
If it wasn't Deep Water (2006) about Donald Crowhurst I would recommend it highly. Pretty dark but fascinating.

yes, i have seen this one, and read a book on the same race that was involved in that incident. i'm kind of a junkie for this kind of stuff. i would love to so some long distance solo sailing.

Andy sti
03-25-2020, 11:34 AM
I had a co-worker ask how my weekend was on Monday. Told her it was the same - no different. A couple good rides, ordered carryout and did my usual. Didn't leave home other than picking up our food and going for my bike rides. I'm still working everyday and doing my normal stuff. I prefer less social interaction so it's been great for me. My kids and wife are at home but they have been fine. I really don't understand why everyone is making this sound so hard.

XXtwindad
03-25-2020, 11:40 AM
I had a co-worker ask how my weekend was on Monday. Told her it was the same - no different. A couple good rides, ordered carryout and did my usual. Didn't leave home other than picking up our food and going for my bike rides. I'm still working everyday and doing my normal stuff. I prefer less social interaction so it's been great for me. My kids and wife are at home but they have been fine. I really don't understand why everyone is making this sound so hard.

I happen to share many of your opinions. But it is a very unusual time to be single.

saab2000
03-25-2020, 12:10 PM
But it is a very unusual time to be single.

Why? Many people choose to be single. We like the independence. The times we live in don’t change the reasons many of us choose a single life.

fiamme red
03-25-2020, 12:20 PM
Divorce attorneys will have lots of business in the next few months.

colker
03-25-2020, 12:24 PM
Divorce attorneys will have lots of business in the next few months.

There is that as well. Maybe better to be single.

OtayBW
03-25-2020, 01:00 PM
Yes, but what you're talking about is "introversion" rather than "forced isolation." There's a reason that solitary confinement is considered "cruel and unusual" punishment. I ride for the same reasons as you. And, it's also true that people tending toward the introverted side of the personality scale will probably fare much better than people who are more extroverted.

But I think it's safe to say that there will be a "crisis of loneliness" due to the pandemic, and that people will go to great lengths to mitigate it.Given where we are now, introverts are probably doing better than most people who otherwise have a greater need for intimacy and connection. Some people prefer isolation; some, in fact, choose 'forced' isolation as a conscious lifestyle. And I don't really think we're realistically talking about the psychological torture of solitary confinement. I don't deny that there will likely be a crisis of loneliness at all, but neither do I believe that that condition will be universal.