PDA

View Full Version : How to recover well from daily riding?

weisan
03-25-2020, 02:52 AM
I usually ride 2-3 times during the week but of late, because of working from home, I try to get out and ride every day to avoid cabin fever and sedentary lifestyle.

What are some of the things you do to help you recover both physically and mentally to enjoy riding on a daily basis?

Interested more in the practical things that you have done in the past that has worked well for you personally.

zambenini
03-25-2020, 04:01 AM
I usually ride 2-3 times during the week but of late, because of working from home, I try to get out and ride every day to avoid cabin fever and sedentary lifestyle.

What are some of the things you do to help you recover both physically and mentally to enjoy riding on a daily basis?

Interested more in the practical things that you have done in the past that has worked well for you personally.

When training hard, food and sleep are critical. I like a nap after a hard ride or lift, even a short one. I feel like it makes a difference.

Bentley
03-25-2020, 04:08 AM
I think stretching and a roller stick help. Also... hydrate.

I would add that going hard every day is not good. I like to do 3 hard rides a week with the rest being for volume, more or less leisurely rides for more distance/time.

I think we are likely to be in this situation for a while, good time to experiment and see what works best for you.

marciero
03-25-2020, 04:09 AM
Hi Wei pal. One way to recover is on the bike; that is, just take it easy some days. I'm fine riding every day as long as the volume-either intensity, distance, or both- is not high. High volume days followed by really low volume. This is like training advice from the pre-exercise science days.

Some advice from the early exercise science days, a la Ed Burke, would be to have 4-to-1 carbohydrate to protein ratio drink or snack immediately following the ride. I cant even remember whether that is a calorie or grams ratio. I dont worry about that stuff anymore. I probably have a half full can of Endurox sitting in a cupboard somewhere.

kiwisimon
03-25-2020, 04:38 AM
varying your activity and intensity is important to stay fresh. If you want to ride everyday, after a hard day or if you are feeling tired, take a camera, don't wear cleats and explore. But a day just strolling around is also good to throw into the mix.

Peter P.
03-25-2020, 04:59 AM
Reduce the distances you are riding each day so recovery is more likely.

Or alternate; short rides one day, regular rides the next day.

Moneywatch
03-25-2020, 05:17 AM
Drink plenty of fluids. Listen to your body. I wear a Garmin watch that monitors my heart rate. My resting heart rate lets me know if I am pushing it.

AngryScientist
03-25-2020, 05:21 AM
I noticed you're posting this question @ 4:52 east coast time.

how to recover well: dont be awake @ 3:52 AM.

lol, what the hell are you doing awake posting on paceline before 4 AM? you're in danger of running into the easter bunny or tooth fairy at that hour.

R3awak3n
03-25-2020, 05:26 AM
I noticed you're posting this question @ 4:52 east coast time.

how to recover well: dont be awake @ 3:52 AM.

lol, what the hell are you doing awake posting on paceline before 4 AM? you're in danger of running into the easter bunny or tooth fairy at that hour.

Maybe he went to bed at 8pm? Maybe he is doing the mark walberg routine?

semdoug
03-25-2020, 06:13 AM
I have typically alternated days, hard followed by easy, with success. I will ad a bit of caution. I have reached a certain age, and compounded by chronic issues, that I am more susceptible to over use injury. If this also describes you then extra precaution may be warranted.

weisan
03-25-2020, 08:14 AM
Thank you for the responses.

Angry pal, don't worry about me, I got enough sleep, more than I deserved.

zap
03-25-2020, 08:37 AM
My easy riding days are really easy. I get on my mtb and toodddle around neighborhoods......might average 11-13mph. Don't go very far in 1-2 hours but I might pick up a landscaping idea or two.

Foam roller and ball helps a lot too.

OtayBW
03-25-2020, 09:05 AM
For me, the best way to recover from riding every day is not to ride every day. Give yourself a decent chance to recover by taking a day off now and then...

kytyree
03-25-2020, 09:38 AM
My easy riding days are really easy. I get on my mtb and toodddle around neighborhoods......might average 11-13mph. Don't go very far in 1-2 hours but I might pick up a landscaping idea or two.

I need to do this more myself.

biker72
03-25-2020, 09:56 AM
I do discovery days to recover. I try to go to areas of Dallas I've never been before. My computer goes in my back pocket because I'm not interested in speed...just distance.

Of course there are some areas that I do try to avoid...:)

KVN
03-25-2020, 01:00 PM
I do the same thing. I'll hop on the mtb, fat bike, or townie and just fool around. Focus on fun.

redir
03-25-2020, 01:47 PM
Back when i was racing every weekend it seemed like the emphasis was more on recovery then in training. So many, especially young, cyclists think that recovery is for wusses and that you got to keep on going but they are so wrong. Cycling every day is too much. You need time off unless you are disciplined well enough to do real recovery rides.

72gmc
03-25-2020, 02:21 PM
I take it easy, relatively, a few days a week. Roll through a new area and actually look around, roll a familiar route and focus on only breathing through my nose. Just riding for fun, active but not hammering.

I also use a foam roller at least 2x/week. I'm not very flexible anyway, so it helps, and the IT band on my knee surgery leg feels a whole lot better when it's rolled on the regular.

NHAero
03-25-2020, 03:13 PM
Having downshifted to a three day work week before the COVID19 struck, I was already riding more, and quickly discovered that if I wanted energy for other stuff I should not do more than a couple longer/harder rides per week (which for me means 40-80 miles in an outing). WFH means that even on a "work" day I'm ducking out to ride at least the 11 mile State Forest loop and fitting rides in even on days that have some rain since I can time it better WFH.

If i maintain what I've been doing through the end of the month I'll have 600 miles in March, mostly road, some MTB. I don't think I'd get in that much more even if I wasn't working. When it warms up a bit more I'll get the kayak out and some of that rec time will be in the boat instead.

weisan
03-25-2020, 06:06 PM
Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Today was Day 3.

Developed saddle sore. I do use cream.

Will probably take a day or two off the bike.

Problem solved :p

AngryScientist
03-25-2020, 06:08 PM
Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Today was Day 3.

Developed saddle sore. I do use cream.

Will probably take a day or two off the bike.

Problem solved :p

sometimes the easy answer is the easy answer :):hello:

mcfarton
03-25-2020, 06:59 PM
You can still run!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redir
03-26-2020, 07:42 AM
Foam rollers are torture devices but they do work wonders. I prefer The Stick.