PDA

View Full Version : Quarq hollowgram.

BLD 25
03-24-2020, 04:03 PM
Hey! I currently have a quarq hollowgram, and I just found a used one today that I purchased to have on another bike. The fronts look the same, but the back of the "new to me" one says it requires a magnet.

Are there two versions? Can the firmware be updated to not require a magnet?

Also, both should have the omnical technology, right? This is the tech that started with the riken And Elsa models that allow the user to change chainrings.

Lastly, these theoretically should read the same, right? That was my hope to have one on each of my main bikes that read the same.
Thanks

kppolich
03-24-2020, 04:16 PM
Hey! I currently have a quarq hollowgram, and I just found a used one today that I purchased to have on another bike. The fronts look the same, but the back of the "new to me" one says it requires a magnet.

Are there two versions? Can the firmware be updated to not require a magnet?

Also, both should have the omnical technology, right? This is the tech that started with the riken And Elsa models that allow the user to change chainrings.

Lastly, these theoretically should read the same, right? That was my hope to have one on each of my main bikes that read the same.
Thanks

Yep, very likely you can update the firmware and lose the magnet.
You'll need the Quarq Quaivin Legacy ANT+ free updater here and a ANT+ dongle.
https://www.quarq.com/product/qalvin-legacy/

Each powermeter will likely have a different offset when you calibrate it. That is dependent on the # of sensors, if they are all working, and the temperature. The Qualvin app should tell you all that business.

Use your cycling computer to rename each sensor so you can easily recognize and connect. I believe Garmin 520's and up will autosense and calibrate, but I have both of my Quarq's named for the bike they are on.

Enjoy the power and cadence!

BLD 25
03-24-2020, 05:48 PM
Yep, very likely you can update the firmware and lose the magnet.
You'll need the Quarq Quaivin Legacy ANT+ free updater here and a ANT+ dongle.
https://www.quarq.com/product/qalvin-legacy/

Each powermeter will likely have a different offset when you calibrate it. That is dependent on the # of sensors, if they are all working, and the temperature. The Qualvin app should tell you all that business.

Use your cycling computer to rename each sensor so you can easily recognize and connect. I believe Garmin 520's and up will autosense and calibrate, but I have both of my Quarq's named for the bike they are on.

Enjoy the power and cadence!
Cool, good info! I have a 520 so it should work.