PDA

View Full Version : Equipment review - Shimano Stealth Pro Saddle

David Kirk
03-23-2020, 03:47 PM
Equipment review -

I typically try not to be so presumptive to think that anyone would give a crap about what I think about a given cycling product but this one changed cycling for me and it seemed a disservice to not share.

For many years I've used Fizik saddles and while some have worked OK for me there was always something missing. On some of them I could get reasonably comfortable but I always had trouble with my hips tilting to one side putting a slightly lateral curve in my lower spine. It was most pronounced early in the season when I wasn't in proper shape yet and had less awareness of how I was sitting.

I tried one of the 'large' Fizik saddles (142 wide I think) and it seemed like it helped and I was enjoying it for the most part....particularly after I was a bit fitter and had a more stable core. Then I saw one of the new shorter and wider saddles that Shimano was offering under its "Pro" brand. Last fall, on a whim, I bought a Shimano Stealth Pro saddle in the full-fat width. The saddle is a shortish 255 mm long and a wideish 152 mm wide. Maybe more importantly the side-to-side curve of the saddle is very slight making it flatter side-to-side.

It's light (don't know the number) and the padding is very firm (as I like it) and once I got it set up I rode it up and down the street and it felt like someone took a mold of my butt and made a saddle to fit it. I've never felt this way before....not in 40 years of riding a road bike...not once. The biggest thing I noticed is that both sit bones firmly sit on the pads without any tendency to drift to one side causing the lateral hip tilt. In other words I sit dead square on it.

I also found that the cut out allowed me to use a rotated forward hip position when in the drops while plugging into a head wind without any pressure on soft tissue and zero numbness even after long stints this way. It suddenly felt like I could use a deeper drop bar if I wanted to.

I didn't get to ride it that much before riding season ended and ski season began so I was curious to see how my alignment was when I wasn't in riding shape this spring. Well I've been out on it twice so far this spring and was happy and surprised to find that even after a long winter off the bike I'd plunk my butt down on it and sit dead square, well supported and with more comfort than I've ever had before.

I've never thought of myself has being "big boned" and wide saddles didn't make sense when I thought of my skinny butt. I was clearly wrong. I tended to think of wide saddles as something better suited to a more upright position and I didn't want anything vague and squishy....I was wrong. Now that I've ridden it again this spring with just as much comfort and alignment support as last fall I've going to order another and put it on my other road bike.

If you feel you have the same listing-to-the-side issue I had you might also benefit from one of these.

My 2 cents.....thanks for reading.

dave

gasman
03-23-2020, 03:56 PM
Nice review Dave

I've had good luck with the Specialized Power saddle which has a similar shape but less of a cutout. It's been a very good saddle. Maybe the Shimano Pro could be a great saddle for me.

Beautiful bike btw, who's the builder ?:p

mistermo
03-23-2020, 04:31 PM
Echoed here. I've got the Spesh Power and Shimano Pro Stealth. Agreed. I just tried the Selle Italia Novus Boost, similar shape. In it, I got the smaller size and think I'd like it if it were the bigger.

HenryA
03-23-2020, 05:18 PM
Thanks for this. I might try one.

Veloo
03-23-2020, 05:28 PM
Dave, which Fizik saddle(s) did you use?

uber
03-23-2020, 05:43 PM
Glad you found saddle nirvana. Amazing how a simple thing can transform our riding! I have had similar positive experiences with comfort and the ability to rotate forward more easily with the Bontrager Aeolus saddle and the Selle San Marco Short Fit saddles. The SMP's never worked for me.

R3awak3n
03-23-2020, 05:49 PM
I tried it and was not for me but tons of ppl love em. I have realized that cutout saddles just aren’t for me.

Peter P.
03-23-2020, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the lengthy review. I value reviews like yours more than what I read in the magazines.

I don't need a new saddle but you sure have piqued my interest in this one.

cmbicycles
03-23-2020, 08:50 PM
Nice info, something else to consider in the hunt for one saddle to rule them all. Nice looking bike too... no name on the downtube, who is the maker? ;)

kiwisimon
03-23-2020, 11:02 PM
I have a big S Power saddle that I went to after decades on Turbos, still have Turbos on my commuter and SS. The longer nose was making my lack of core strength and overall fitness show itself with numbness.
The short wider saddle shape is very comfortable and looks after my anatomy very well.on the 5+ hour rides I do on the road bike
It's a red saddle and now I wish it was black but at close to $250 it is too much to change out. thanks for the review DK.

charliedid
03-24-2020, 07:26 AM
Nice words.

I have been meaning to try a saddle with a similar profile. Have only test ridden but my thoughts are similar regarding feeling square and planted on them. I was on a Prologo the other day (test ride) and it was the same. Customer had us order two more for him.

Everybody's doing it.

Evolution, maybe.

charliedid
03-24-2020, 07:32 AM
Nice info, something else to consider in the hunt for one saddle to rule them all. Nice looking bike too... no name on the downtube, who is the maker? ;)

Looks British ;-)

madsciencenow
03-24-2020, 07:35 AM
How did you decide which width of the Pro saddle to choose. I generally use the narrow arione and have considered this saddle a number of times but never tried it. The flat firm feel is my jam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffkoller91
03-24-2020, 07:39 AM
Great review, please keep them coming on other finds.

David Kirk
03-24-2020, 07:43 AM
Dave, which Fizik saddle(s) did you use?

My favorite is the Antares Evo in the 142 width.

dave

David Kirk
03-24-2020, 07:48 AM
How did you decide which width of the Pro saddle to choose. I generally use the narrow arione and have considered this saddle a number of times but never tried it. The flat firm feel is my jam.

As I recall the Shimano comes in a 142 and a 152 and the 152 just seemed too wide....but....I'd been using narrower saddles without the desired results so I decided I'd never know for sure unless I tried it. So I got the 152 and love it.

It was a real surprise. I was sure it was too wide but it just wasn't.

dave

skouri1
03-24-2020, 07:49 AM
How did you cope with setback...find the widest portion of saddle and set that the same on that vs a "regular" length saddle?
I've been on prologo scratches for a long time, those were definitely a revelation for me and I intended to proceed with them until I cant buy em. Some of these new fangled saddles are quite interesting though.

David Kirk
03-24-2020, 09:04 AM
How did you cope with setback...find the widest portion of saddle and set that the same on that vs a "regular" length saddle?
I've been on prologo scratches for a long time, those were definitely a revelation for me and I intended to proceed with them until I cant buy em. Some of these new fangled saddles are quite interesting though.

The "setback" number is only valid when comparing identical saddles of course so changing brand/model will force you to start over figuring it out.

I set up a new saddle in the middle of the adjustment range and then ride it back and forth on the street in front of the house....making sure I'm wearing cycling shorts and shoes.

I then move it forward 13 mm and repeat and make note of how it feels. I then move it back 13 mm and see how it compares. We are all too good at adapting to things so the first impressions are important. After going forward and back a lot I'll know which general direction is right. I then move the saddle in that direction a smaller amount....say about 7 mm and test that and this will narrow things down quickly. Finally I go for a 'real' ride with tools and fine tune things as necessary after spending longer periods of time on the new saddle. This process works very well for me.

dave

rain dogs
03-24-2020, 09:17 AM
I'm going to chime in re: this saddle, because if you search it out, I had posted in the past that I loved this saddle. https://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=2323768&postcount=25

Long term review is not so positive. I actually found that the super wide nose of the saddle started causing me hip issues - in that it, I guess, was to wide for my natural range of motion and I would get hip pain after long, intense rides.

I know it sounds crazy, and I wouldn't have thought it possible, but it was actually like it was forcing my hips apart farther than natural - almost like how changes in q-factor can bother some people's knees.

I am 100% certain it was this saddle because I'd never had the problem prior, I noticed the extra width while riding, but didn't think much of it, and then started with pain after about 4-6 months with it. Stopped using it and everything is back to normal.

So, keep that in mind. Otherwise I almost totally loved it.... it did start squeeking now and again but that was a lesser issue.

bking
03-24-2020, 09:58 AM
Ordered one. I let you know if your anatomical universe extends down here to Vegas.

bking
03-24-2020, 10:08 AM

I too am on the Scratch and bought enough of them that if I never found better I'd be ok. I stopped believing years ago all these guys who claimed their saddle fit like a soft couch. I've tried a lot of them and never found a Lazy Boy. If after 100 miles my nether parts aren't whimpering, I'm happy. All that said, guess I have not entirely quit the search for the Grail.

velomateo
03-24-2020, 10:15 AM
Thanks for review Dave. I was considering the Stealth for my next saddle. I too have been using a Fizik for about a decade, and have wondered if something else would work better for me.
Your 2 cents appreciated.

dddd
03-24-2020, 10:54 AM
By now almost everyone is waiting for the four pictures of your butt!

Kidding actually, but wondering what kind of shorts/pad works well with that saddle shape?

As far as setup, perhaps the most common problem I encounter while helping riders achieve fit would be that the saddle was (too) low enough to have the rider slipping past the rear edge of the saddle, and which had then been "corrected" by sliding the saddle rearward. A shorter stem then sometimes is used to "correct" that...

As David Kirk mentioned, the fore-aft positioning can't reliably be transferred from one model of saddle to another, but one can get well into the ballpark with height as a fixed starting point measuring up from the bb center to saddle-top center. I imagine however that saddles having cutouts could complicate this and perhaps end up a little low(?).

madsciencenow
03-24-2020, 10:59 AM
As I recall the Shimano comes in a 142 and a 152 and the 152 just seemed too wide....but....I'd been using narrower saddles without the desired results so I decided I'd never know for sure unless I tried it. So I got the 152 and love it.

It was a real surprise. I was sure it was too wide but it just wasn't.

dave

Thanks, Dave!

tv_vt
03-24-2020, 12:17 PM
Seems to be a general trend of going to wider saddles. Not sure what has happened to push that. Personally, I've switched to the wider Prologo Scratch Pro 143mm saddles and Fizik Arione R3 Large 142mm saddles from their narrower versions, with good results.

Every saddle I've tried with a channel I've disliked, so have stayed away from cutout saddles entirely. I'll keep this one in mind if I get to hankering for something different. Thanks for the review.

David Kirk
03-24-2020, 12:23 PM
Seems to be a general trend of going to wider saddles. Not sure what has happened to push that. Personally, I've switched to the wider Prologo Scratch Pro 143mm saddles and Fizik Arione R3 Large 142mm saddles from their narrower versions, with good results.

Every saddle I've tried with a channel I've disliked, so have stayed away from cutout saddles entirely. I'll keep this one in mind if I get to hankering for something different. Thanks for the review.

I was the same way with saddles with cut outs....they always felt odd and I could feel the edges of the cut out and it didn't feel good.

For some reason this Shimano saddle cut out is invisible to my privates. I just don't feel it but at the same time I can rotate far forward in comfort.

I can't prove it but I suspect that the difference is that the wider saddle fully and properly supports the sit bones so there is very little pressure on the soft tissue...and no pressure means I can feel the edges of the cut out.....maybe?

dave

nortx-Dave
03-24-2020, 02:00 PM
I've ridden pretty much on nothing but Flites since I got my first one back in 1992/93. I always thought I "needed" a narrow saddle, and cutouts just never felt right to me.

A couple of weeks ago I went to a LBS and got a fitting, looking for data to give to Chris Bishop for an upcoming build. On his fit machine/size cycle the saddle was short, wide and had a cut out. I'm not sure of the make and model, but it was like an epiphany. I never really knew I had an issue until I sat on this new saddle. I felt more supported on my sit bones and less pressure on my soft tissue that at any time in the last 25+ years.

I've since been looking hard at all the short/wide/cut out saddles on the market. Pro Stealth.....Specialized Power...Prologo Dimension....Bontrager Aeolus.

I'm looking for 150 +/- width and <250 length.

I like the Stealth but fear that the wide nose might bother my thighs.

I think I'm going to get a Prologo Dimension Space in 153 width and 245 length.

NHAero
03-24-2020, 02:14 PM
What is the design reasoning behind (so to speak) the long tapered tail on this saddle, and others that look like it?

skouri1
03-24-2020, 02:27 PM
Interesting that you start over each time but makes sense . I've read your post on setback with respect to balance etc. I too have found that once I'm ballpark an on the road tilt setback or saddle height adjustment by a mm or quarter turn of an Allen key can make a big difference in terms of pedaling smoothness and comfort . Then again there will always be those who can ride anything (my cat1 pal) and the princess and the pea types (me) . For sure when it's right it's right though.

Dave we always appreciate your insights as a builder /engineer and rider , thanks for the review!

ojingoh
03-24-2020, 04:02 PM
What is the design reasoning behind (so to speak) the long tapered tail on this saddle, and others that look like it?

You can slide back for more leverage on uphill-in-the-saddle effort, and back to grip it with your thighs for more control on downhill sections.

clyde the point
03-24-2020, 05:43 PM
I bought one too after reading your review. If you ever want to sell that bike let me know! I think we're the same size. Looks that way to my untrained eye.

KonaSS
03-24-2020, 05:53 PM
Like others have commented, I have a generally slim build, thin wrists, ankles, etc. so the natural assumption is that you don't need a wide saddle.

Spent years going through saddles. Tried almost everything. Realized one day that on most thin (at the time standard) saddles I was sitting off to the side so that at least one sit bone was resting on the meat of the saddle.

Then got measured using the Specialized sit-o-meter thing and it recommended a 155 saddle. Tried them and what do you know, they work. I use several 155 Specialized saddles: Power, Power Arc and Phenom.

Moral - don't assume your preferred saddle width based on anything else.

andrew+
03-24-2020, 06:04 PM
Specialized Romin and Power 155 saddles have worked best for me.

Can anyone compare their experience with a Power 155 and Stealth 152?

Hopefully all these saddles will get cheaper soon...

tuxbailey
03-24-2020, 07:49 PM
I might have to try this. I ride the Selle Italia SLR and I thought that was the best fit for me so far. But I still have discomfort in my sit bones after about 40 min.

rain dogs
03-25-2020, 08:03 AM
Specialized Romin and Power 155 saddles have worked best for me.

Can anyone compare their experience with a Power 155 and Stealth 152?

Hopefully all these saddles will get cheaper soon...

The difference is all in the nose and the cut-out. Sure, the shape is slightly different, but the big differences are those. The Power (the original) has a nose that almost feels like it doesn't exist between the legs, but it is harder than the Stealth, so on the crotch, you notice it more. The Stealth has an awesome cutout.... it's huge.

Again, I started having problems with the width of the Stealth and switched back to the Power (but have now switched to the Fizik Argo, which is better than both).

The Fizik Argo (Tempo) has a nose more like the Power with the cutout more like the Stealth. It's also not the "perfect" saddle, but it is the best saddle I have ever used and better than both the Power and Stealth for sure.

Have also tried the Selle Italia SP-01 Superflow which is a very nice shape, a little ugly, and very, very firm/hard. I used to use a full carbon saddle with no padding and this somehow bothers my butt more.

So I've tried a lot of these large cutout/short saddles

Mikej
03-25-2020, 05:49 PM
Where’d you get that frame?

andrew+
03-25-2020, 06:18 PM
The difference is all in the nose and the cut-out. Sure, the shape is slightly different, but the big differences are those. The Power (the original) has a nose that almost feels like it doesn't exist between the legs, but it is harder than the Stealth, so on the crotch, you notice it more. The Stealth has an awesome cutout.... it's huge.

Again, I started having problems with the width of the Stealth and switched back to the Power (but have now switched to the Fizik Argo, which is better than both).

The Fizik Argo (Tempo) has a nose more like the Power with the cutout more like the Stealth. It's also not the "perfect" saddle, but it is the best saddle I have ever used and better than both the Power and Stealth for sure.

Have also tried the Selle Italia SP-01 Superflow which is a very nice shape, a little ugly, and very, very firm/hard. I used to use a full carbon saddle with no padding and this somehow bothers my butt more.

So I've tried a lot of these large cutout/short saddles

Thanks for sharing!

rnhood
03-25-2020, 06:21 PM
I have a virtually new 152 Pro Stealth (Ti rails) if anyone is interested. I know this is not the classifieds but, just thought I would mention it. $50+shipping, pay me after you get it. PM if you want it.

Edit: Saddle is now sold.

12snap
03-25-2020, 07:07 PM

You were on a 155 Spec Power, right? The Fizik Tempo Argo is offered in 150 or 160 mm width. Which size did you go with and do you feel it was the right choice? Thanks.

clarendon
03-30-2020, 03:13 AM
I have also found the Stealth a much better perch than an Arione for wider sit bones. I’m considering trying out the Fizik Argo on another bike. Does anyone have any advice/experience comparing the Vento vs the Tempo models? They are marketing the Vento for racing and Tempo for endurance but interested in any real world comparisons. Thanks and stay safe.

rain dogs
03-30-2020, 03:51 AM
You were on a 155 Spec Power, right? The Fizik Tempo Argo is offered in 150 or 160 mm width. Which size did you go with and do you feel it was the right choice? Thanks.

Yes and no. My wife has the 155 Power Expert. I had the 142 Power Pro. But I tried both to compare for myself. Also the padding differences.

The Fizik I have in the 150. I would be curious to try it smaller if they made it. It's not so much that its necessary... just would be curious. The 160 for me... man, I would think that would be wide, but that's just an assumption.

I'm also really skinny, small boned 180cm 69kg (5'11" 150lbs) so I wouldn't think I would 'need' a wide saddle, but they are very comfortable. But also, I don't put too much value on "old school" rational, I prefer to try things and see for myself.

Schredder
03-30-2020, 01:55 PM
Sit bone width. With the pro stealth, can you use your measured sit bone width to choose the 142 or 152 saddle? I have not found any specific references.

Thanks
Chris

dbnm
03-30-2020, 01:57 PM
I have the new Stealth Lightweight for my next bike.

hobbanero
03-30-2020, 03:40 PM
I used Spesh Power saddles before going to the Stealth (155 on the power, 152 on the Stealth). I prefer the stealth because the nose is wider, and feels more comfortable when you are on the rivet for an extended period. Some may dislike it for the same reason. New Power Mimic somewhat bridges the gap.

Sojodave
03-30-2020, 10:27 PM
I'm 6'4", 200 lbs 130 sit bones and I have tried many short-nosed saddles.

I have had the most luck with the Power Expert 155 and have ridden it for a couple of years. I do long charity rides up to 140 miles and I had a hard time walking riding that long on the Power Expert.

I didn't get along with the Power Arc because of the shape. The Prologo Dimension Nack was too narrow. The Pro Stealth was great up to 50 miles and then it hurt my sit bones.

I'm currently trying the Specialized Mimic 155. It has been the only saddle that is actually comfortable on the trainer. I've done long rides on the Mimic, and I think it's better than the Power Expert.

PacNW2Ford
03-31-2020, 03:41 PM
The Stealth Pro saddles are on sale at forum sponsor BikeTiresDirect.

tuxbailey
04-02-2020, 11:59 PM
I might have to try this. I ride the Selle Italia SLR and I thought that was the best fit for me so far. But I still have discomfort in my sit bones after about 40 min.

I ordered one from eBay after reading the review here. Got it today and I put it on my trainer as soon as possible.

I am happy about it. I still need some time to get used to it but I know that my sit bones are not hurting after 40 mins. I will ride more on the trainer get used to it. I got the 152mm one and the wider saddle really helps with the support.

From the look of it I will need to buy a second one for the main bike.

Dracarys
04-03-2020, 09:57 AM
I also used to ride an Arione for many years. Then after a few years off the bike, it was no longer comfortable when I came back. I tried many saddles, but none were great. So I got a bike fit and the fitter suggested the Pro Stealth. It felt great the moment I sat on it. Interestingly, the fitter (who is very well respected and in my experience very good) didn’t even need to measure my sit bones. He put me on a 142mm saddle. I had done the “sit fit” test at a few other bike shops and always was recommended a 152-155mm saddle. But this fitter said nope. He could see the way I was sitting and pedaling and said the width was perfect.

And after many months, the saddle was indeed the best I’ve ever had. But I still wondered if there was something better. So with winter coming, I decided I’d buy a Spez Power 155mm for my indoor bike. It was pretty good, but not as good as the stealth. I felt more pressure in the perineal area with the Power. Also, the more curved nature (side to side) of the Power didn’t suit me as well as the flatter Stealth. I felt more supported at the sitbones with the Stealth.

I then tried a Prologo Dimension NDR. That was better than the Power, but still not as good as the Stealth. I can’t say precisely what felt better about the Stealth, just that it felt “better” than the Prologo. But the Prologo was indeed quite good.

Finally, I bought another Stealth, but the wider 152mm. It’s by far the best saddle I’ve had on my indoor bike (I never put the 142mm Stealth on my indoor bike).

I am going to experiment with both widths on my outdoor bike to see which I prefer—the 142 or the 152–but for now I’m happy with either.

madsciencenow
04-03-2020, 10:11 AM
I also used to ride an Arione for many years. Then after a few years off the bike, it was no longer comfortable when I came back. I tried many saddles, but none were great. So I got a bike fit and the fitter suggested the Pro Stealth. It felt great the moment I sat on it. Interestingly, the fitter (who is very well respected and in my experience very good) didn’t even need to measure my sit bones. He put me on a 142mm saddle. I had done the “sit fit” test at a few other bike shops and always was recommended a 152-155mm saddle. But this fitter said nope. He could see the way I was sitting and pedaling and said the width was perfect.

And after many months, the saddle was indeed the best I’ve ever had. But I still wondered if there was something better. So with winter coming, I decided I’d buy a Spez Power 155mm for my indoor bike. It was pretty good, but not as good as the stealth. I felt more pressure in the perineal area with the Power. Also, the more curved nature (side to side) of the Power didn’t suit me as well as the flatter Stealth. I felt more supported at the sitbones with the Stealth.

I then tried a Prologo Dimension NDR. That was better than the Power, but still not as good as the Stealth. I can’t say precisely what felt better about the Stealth, just that it felt “better” than the Prologo. But the Prologo was indeed quite good.

Finally, I bought another Stealth, but the wider 152mm. It’s by far the best saddle I’ve had on my indoor bike (I never put the 142mm Stealth on my indoor bike).

I am going to experiment with both widths on my outdoor bike to see which I prefer—the 142 or the 152–but for now I’m happy with either.

Been riding the airione forever but have wondered about the stealth. If you want to offload the narrower version please PM me.

Tony
04-03-2020, 10:13 AM
The Stealth Pro saddles are on sale at forum sponsor BikeTiresDirect.

I don't see them as forum sponsors anymore.

madsciencenow
04-03-2020, 10:40 AM
I was reading comments on BTD website about this saddle and apparently Pro has a guarantee that if you don’t like their product you can return for a refund. One user did this and indicated BTD gave a refund after riding and not liking. Seems like a no brainer to try this, if it looks like a potential fit.

Jeff N.
04-03-2020, 10:43 AM
I'm going to give it a try. 152.

pncguy
04-03-2020, 10:53 AM
I was reading comments on BTD website about this saddle and apparently Pro has a guarantee that if you don’t like their product you can return for a refund. One user did this and indicated BTD gave a refund after riding and not liking. Seems like a no brainer to try this, if it looks like a potential fit.

I didn't mention that it was a Pro saddle, but here's what an agent at BTD said...

pncguy
04-03-2020, 10:58 AM
But Pro is pretty explicit about their policy:

https://www.pro-bikegear.com/global/en-gb/30-day-moneyback.html

madsciencenow
04-03-2020, 11:08 AM
^thanks! The challenge for me is that arione works fine so I’m not sure what I’m after. Could be great or better than I imagine (I don’t actually imagine myself on a better saddle, in case you are wondering about my mental status) but it just be the same in which case it will turn out to be a PITA and $$$ for?

Dracarys
04-04-2020, 10:33 PM
Been riding the airione forever but have wondered about the stealth. If you want to offload the narrower version please PM me.

Sure thing. However, it will be a while. I’m not riding outdoors and until I can, I won’t be comparing the saddles. But I’ll keep you in mind.

PacNW2Ford
04-04-2020, 11:23 PM
I don't see them as forum sponsors anymore.

Sure looks like their logo second from the left and the link still works...

Wakatel_Luum
04-05-2020, 03:36 AM
I considered buying one of these awhile back but other than being lightweight there really was no benefit for me as my already comfortable SSM Regal, it’s wide and I prefer the length. I’ve tried so many saddles and other than the 13mm adjustments at a time I agree this was s good review but for me it’s a needless spend of money...but one day I might give one a go Post Coronavirus.

SoCalSteve
04-05-2020, 10:11 AM
I’ve been using a Selle Italia Superflow SLR 143 for years now and have always felt I could go a bit wider.

Bought the 152 version and have gone on 2 rides with it. Much better than my Superflow!

I’ll have a few of them for sale soon. Cheap!

Thanks Dave Kirk!!! :banana:

Tony
04-05-2020, 10:22 AM
Sure looks like their logo second from the left and the link still works...

Thanks, don't know why I couldn't see them up there. Glad they are still a forum sponsor. I started ordering from them when they became a sponsor and now order from them often, excellent company.

PacNW2Ford
04-05-2020, 12:51 PM
They’re local to me and I hope they’re doing okay. Thanks.

Jeff N.
04-11-2020, 04:11 PM
Bought a 152, was finally able to take a ride after it'd rained all week here in SD. Hey, feels good! Butt-bones rest nicely on the rear of the saddle and the larger channel give losta room for the gonadal nether-regions. I like it. I'm mostly an SMP Lite 209 guy, but I'm gonna keep this one on (Firefly) for a while. As an extra bonus, it's quite reasonably priced!

tuxbailey
04-11-2020, 10:08 PM
Bought a 152, was finally able to take a ride after it'd rained all week here in SD. Hey, feels good! Butt-bones rest nicely on the rear of the saddle and the larger channel give losta room for the gonadal nether-regions. I like it. I'm mostly an SMP Lite 209 guy, but I'm gonna keep this one on (Firefly) for a while.

That is the one thing I noticed immediately, that the support for the sit bones were so much better.

Waldo62
04-11-2020, 10:27 PM
The heck with the saddle, I want the rest of that bike.

nmrt
04-12-2020, 12:49 AM
Right! When Dave talked about the saddle in the first post, all I could do was look at the bike! :)
The heck with the saddle, I want the rest of that bike.

d_douglas
04-12-2020, 09:40 AM
I haven’t seen this much enthusiasm stirred up for a saddle for ages!! All this talk makes me want to try one out. Now looking for my ‘sheep emoji’...

clarendon
04-12-2020, 03:38 PM
Has anyone tried the new Fizik Argo saddles yet? Curious to know how these compare to the Stealth.

Jeff N.
04-12-2020, 03:51 PM
No, but they look strikingly similar, don't they?

clarendon
04-12-2020, 03:58 PM
Yes. I wonder whether the Stealth is most similar to the Tempo (endurance, slightly wider) or Vento (slightly firmer) versions of the Argo.

Sojodave
04-12-2020, 04:02 PM
I have tried both the Pro Stealth and the Fizik Argo Tempo. They are very different saddles. The Pro Stealth is more firm and has less dip. The Fizik Argo Tempo has soft padding with a dip. Both have a wide nose and both depend upon how you have them set up. Which one would I recommend, it all depends on what type of riding you do and what you prefer. Both are good saddles.

Paid In Full
04-14-2020, 07:21 PM
After reading this thread, I just ordered up the 152 pro stealth. I am 6'2" and will weigh about 140 when dinner is through. I've ridden enough saddles to think I am reasonably comfortable on most, the original Selle Italia SLR was my go to for years, but then it wasn't. The newer Flites also did it for a while, as did Aliantes, Ariones, and finally the Cambium C13 carved in a 132 which I am very happy with. As comfortable as I find that seat, I do move around on it quite a bit searching for the right place to be, and am never entirely sure if I'm on it, but no discomfort whatsoever. If I wasn't always searching to find the right spot, I'd stop looking for a new saddle.

I'm intrigued by the OP finding that a lifetime of assuming a narrow saddle was the proper choice turned out not to be true. Maybe I too will be surprised to have wide sits bones, and possibly a great looking ass as well. Fingers crossed!

teleguy57
04-14-2020, 07:57 PM
Bought a 152, was finally able to take a ride after it'd rained all week here in SD. Hey, feels good! Butt-bones rest nicely on the rear of the saddle and the larger channel give losta room for the gonadal nether-regions. I like it. I'm mostly an SMP Lite 209 guy, but I'm gonna keep this one on (Firefly) for a while. As an extra bonus, it's quite reasonably priced!

Dang, this may just get me on one too -- SMP Dynamic guy myself....

Jeff, how did the position of the clamp on the rails compare to your SMP? And how about the padding compared to your 209 Lite? Inquiring minds and all:)

Jeff N.
04-14-2020, 09:10 PM
The clamp is positioned dead center on the rails of the Pro Stealth and slightly off center (toward the rear) of my 209. The Stealth and 209 have about the same "cushiness" at the rear. Can't really tell the difference. The Stealth is a bit shorter in overall length that the 209...you can see that right off.

teleguy57
04-14-2020, 10:22 PM
Great info, thx. Will order one yet this evening.

rain dogs
04-15-2020, 11:38 AM
Has anyone tried the new Fizik Argo saddles yet? Curious to know how these compare to the Stealth.

I have comments earlier in this same thread. The nose is totally different. I like the Fizik much more. The nose is too wide on the Pro Stealth IMHO

tuxbailey
04-15-2020, 12:02 PM
I have comments earlier in this same thread. The nose is totally different. I like the Fizik much more. The nose is too wide on the Pro Stealth IMHO

The Argo looks interesting too. Are all the different models share the same shape? The tempo R5's price is palatable for test rides.

scoobydrew
04-30-2020, 12:32 PM
How do you determine what width to get? Or is it just trial and error? For reference my fitter has recommended 142mm width Specialized saddles based on the ass-o-meter. As a result, I ride a 142mm Specialized Toupe, 142mm Specialized Phenom (MTB), and 142 Fabric Scoop Shallow.

Looking to get a PRO Stealth or Spesh Power Arc since I've been having a heck of a time trying to get comfortable on my indoor trainer bike set up with the Fabric Scoop installed. I haven't had many issues with the Fabric saddle on the road, but the lack of movement on indoor rides really puts a lot of pressure down there.

teleguy57
04-30-2020, 01:23 PM
Have a 150 Stealth on my Alliance now after several years on an SMP Dynamic. Quite the different feel to it; not better or worst (yest) just very different. In that early phase of testing/tweaking etc. One road ride and one trainer ride so far. I did note I wasn't uncomfortable after 90 minutes on the road althought I did feel it hit different places.

Biggest thing I'm trying to think through is I planted in one place on the SMP. I feel like I'm moving around a lot, or at least can move around a lot, on the Stealth. Will have to see if that's something that I get used to and if I feel stable on it after more riding.

donevwil
05-12-2020, 05:20 PM
My wife has a dozen or so rides with a new Stealth Pro (thanks NHAero) on her Kirk (coincidentally) and absolutely loves it. She can now comfortably rotate further forward just as Dave K. found and I'm not talking just a little, it's significant. We may even increase her drop a bit. A pile of saddles are now headed to the coop.

David Kirk
05-12-2020, 06:43 PM
My wife has a dozen or so rides with a new Stealth Pro (thanks NHAero) on her Kirk (coincidentally) and absolutely loves it. She can now comfortably rotate further forward just as Dave K. found and I'm not talking just a little, it's significant. We may even increase her drop a bit. A pile of saddles are now headed to the coop.

very cool!

dave

ahsere
05-14-2020, 08:48 PM
...and it was certainly an interesting experience. I just set it on my Fierté a couple of days ago and I was impressed by how well made, good looking, and light it is, but I wasn't sold on the short/wide nose, so I was almost apprehensive when I got out this afternoon.
As Dave says, I never felt such firmly and comfortably perched on my sit bones, and even though it was a short ride (22 miles, a little over an hour) I was blown away by the butt support, absolutely no discomfort there, really strange on a brand new saddle. I felt the sides of the short nose digging a little into the inside of my thighs, though. Not bad enough to make feel really uncomfortable but noticeable. I need to take longer rides to find out if it will go away or will become a real nuisance. All I can say is that with a slightly narrower nose (or one that flared down) it would be perfect. As it is, the jury is still out but it was a very enjoyable ride...

ThasFACE
05-14-2020, 09:01 PM
I’ll pile on. I normally ride a toupe, and though I really like it, I was curious about the stealth. So I picked one up and now have a few rides into it, and I’m pretty sold. Definitely find it much easier to ride in the drops with the stealth. So that’s cool.

jadedaid
05-14-2020, 10:02 PM
I'd be interested in how people who ride ISM saddles feel about the Stealth. I chose the ISM PN 3.1 over the Stealth at the time but I've been looking at the Stealth with an inquisitive eye since...

Mr B
05-15-2020, 06:43 AM
Been riding the Specialized Power Arc Expert for a few months and it’s the most comfortable yet. Not perfect, but very very good. Also interested to try the Fizik Argo, as I know the wide nose of the Pro Stealth would cause issues for me.

scoobydrew
05-15-2020, 10:37 PM
Bought a used Pro Stealth 142mm width saddle on eBay. Installed it and went to do a 90 minute ride on the trainer tonight.

First 20-25 minutes were fantastic. Completely relieved any pressure down there. Was able to get into and stay in a more aero position on the hoods and drops.

After that, I started to develop some serious sit bone pain. Tried shifting around the saddle a bit. Sitting towards the rear felt worse than moving towards the front.

Other than a classic Flite on my commuter bike, my other bikes have 143mm width Specialized saddles. The saddle being replaced is a Fabric Scoop Shallow in 142mm. I'm tempted to try out the wider Pro Stealth 152mm version, but swaying towards checking out the Specialized Power/Power Arc in 143mm width instead.

Thoughts?

BdaGhisallo
05-16-2020, 04:56 AM
I'm tempted to try out the wider Pro Stealth 152mm version, but swaying towards checking out the Specialized Power/Power Arc in 143mm width instead.

Thoughts?

Be mindful of the fact that the regular Power and the Power Arc are very different saddles. The original Power is a much flatter saddle side to side. The Arc is very rounded side to side and the rear sitbone area on a 155 Arc is probably about the same as a 143 in the original Power, such is the drop off of the wings on the Arc.

Tony
05-19-2020, 09:51 PM
After all the talk about this saddle I had to give it a try. I bought the Pro Stealth 142mm version.
I'm 5' 9" and today weigh in at 163 lbs. The saddle I have on both road bikes are the SLR Team edition and SLR kit carbonio flow.
I took my SLR with me and did a 46 mile ride on the Stealth. Five miles into the ride I made several adjustments, 25 miles into the ride I was feeling pain I never had on a saddle before. It was centered around the inner thigh/groin region. The transition from the back of the saddle to the nose is just too wide. I changed out the saddle to my SLR and pain was gone, felt so good!
The saddle is going back tomorrow.

gasman
06-12-2020, 02:57 PM
I bought a Shimano Pro stealth saddle in the 152 size after reading Dave Kirk's review. I've been riding a specialized power 143 which has been pretty good.
I now have about 1,500 miles on the Shimano saddle and I really like it. I only wish it had a couple of mm more padding but other than that it's really been solid.

So thanks Dave for the recommendation.

mcteague
06-12-2020, 05:09 PM
Another fan.

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/i-love-the-pro-stealth-superlight/

Tim

ColonelJLloyd
06-14-2020, 10:55 AM
I bought a Shimano Pro stealth saddle in the 152 size after reading Dave Kirk's review. I've been riding a specialized power 143 which has been pretty good.
I now have about 1,500 miles on the Shimano saddle and I really like it. I only wish it had a couple of mm more padding but other than that it's really been solid.

So thanks Dave for the recommendation.

+1

I picked up a 152mm Pro Stealth Allroad a few weeks ago because of this thread. I went with the Allroad verison because while it has graphics, it's all black. The road version's branding and white accents are off-putting to me even though my bike is white with black components.

Gasman, you might give the Allroad version a try as the Shimano literature indicates it has dual density padding so maybe it has a little more give. I don't have a road version to compare.

My first ride was 48 hilly miles and it proved this saddle was one I could spend more time with. I set the fore and aft using David Kirk's tutorial (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=239036) which I've found useful since the day I read it. I don't have a whole lot of experience with saddles that aren't suspended leather (Brooks Pro works very well for me) and with those saddles the tilt for me needs to be nose up. With the Pro Stealth I found the top really needs to be level and I could feel the most minor adjustments in tilt (happy to have a carbon 1-bolt Ritchey that makes these adjustments so easy).

I have 150 miles in 4 rides on this saddle including a metric century a few days ago and I am very happy with it. I ordered a second one for my single speed.

My two saddles weighed 212g and 216g, FWIW.

I bought a Pro camera/accessory mount for the first saddle and one of the internal mounting nuts came loose when I went to connect the mount. I contacted Shimano NA warranty via phone and mailed the saddle on my dime. The replacement was processed the day after they received my return and I had it within a week.

For comparison I had previously tried a Fabric Line Elite Shallow 142 and found that saddle painful after 25 miles. I get along with a Fizik Aliante and the aforementioned Brooks Professional as well as Berthoud Aravis.

I snapped this pic right before I left for a short neighborhood ride to adjust the fore/aft and tilt. The top is virtually level now.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50005512586_5996b60aa7_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2jbPjJ7)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/2jbPjJ7) by ColonelJLloyd (https://www.flickr.com/photos/51002114@N03/), on Flickr

gasman
06-14-2020, 12:16 PM
Thank you for the tip on the Allroad version. I’ll order one.

weaponsgrade
06-15-2020, 02:27 AM
All this talk got me interested in trying a Stealth as well. A friend let me borrow his 142mm Stealth and 143mm Spesh Power. I tried the Stealth first and couldn't get used to the shape. It felt like my sit bones were constantly slipping into the center channel. I didn't have much hope for the Spesh Power, but decided to give it a try anyway since I had it. Surprisingly, that one actually seemed to work for me. I thought it did a good job of supporting the sit bones. I think it'd make a good road saddle for me, but I think I'd want something with a bit more give for gravel. I've got a WTB Silverado on my gravel. The Power seems to provide better sit bone support, but I'd want some more padding for dirt. If Spesh comes out with a gravel version of the Power I might give it a try.

weisan
06-15-2020, 05:44 AM
For those of you who "like" Power or Toupe for road bikes but it's looking for more padding to be used on a gravel bike, take a look at the Specialized Avatar, it has worked out great for me personally.

jkbrwn
06-15-2020, 11:28 AM
Funny that this thread popped up. After trying one of these during a fit at Summer Cycles, I purchased one on eBay that had been used on someones trainer a few times. It turned up last week and it's been a game changer for me.

I've flipped between Romin's and Power variants for around six years or so, sometimes getting on with them, sometimes not. I could only ever find one comfortable position on them. But man, this Stealth is so, so good for me. Has alleviated all numbness and discomfort I was used to and somehow feels like I can put down the same power with maybe 75% of the effort. I can also move around and find multiple comfortable positions. The wide nose really helps there. Love it.

scoobydrew
06-15-2020, 11:44 AM
For those who bought their Stealth new, can you confirm how supple or soft the padding should be primarily where your rear end makes the most contact with the saddle? I purchased what looks to be a well-used Stealth, and the padding in that area seems to be non-existent. This led to quite a bit of pain after an hour on the trainer.

I've since switched to a Power 143mm. Works okay, but as reviews have pointed out there's only one "good" position whereas the Stealth allows you to shift around. I'm willing to give the Stealth another shot if I did in-fact try a bad example of it.

gasman
06-15-2020, 09:18 PM
New the Stealth has very little padding so I suspect used it's not going to be much different. The saddle fits me well so it's all good.

brucehappy
06-23-2020, 12:51 AM
Thanks for the review of the offroad version. Definitely interested in trying it in 152mm. Silly question, but can I ask if you were using padded shorts for your 150mi? I’ve got some giordana FRC shorts I really like, but the cushy chamois on that combined with the padding on my ergon smc4 sport gel saddle don’t always get along.

gasman, did you pick up an offroad version? Interested to hear your thoughts if you’ve already been using the road version.

+1

I picked up a 152mm Pro Stealth Allroad a few weeks ago because of this thread. I went with the Allroad verison because while it has graphics, it's all black. The road version's branding and white accents are off-putting to me even though my bike is white with black components.

Gasman, you might give the Allroad version a try as the Shimano literature indicates it has dual density padding so maybe it has a little more give. I don't have a road version to compare.

My first ride was 48 hilly miles and it proved this saddle was one I could spend more time with. I set the fore and aft using David Kirk's tutorial (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=239036) which I've found useful since the day I read it. I don't have a whole lot of experience with saddles that aren't suspended leather (Brooks Pro works very well for me) and with those saddles the tilt for me needs to be nose up. With the Pro Stealth I found the top really needs to be level and I could feel the most minor adjustments in tilt (happy to have a carbon 1-bolt Ritchey that makes these adjustments so easy).

I have 150 miles in 4 rides on this saddle including a metric century a few days ago and I am very happy with it. I ordered a second one for my single speed.

My two saddles weighed 212g and 216g, FWIW.

ColonelJLloyd
06-23-2020, 07:01 AM
Thanks for the review of the offroad version. Definitely interested in trying it in 152mm. Silly question, but can I ask if you were using padded shorts for your 150mi?

Assos s5 Mille bibs. I've done another two metrics and a handful of other rides on this saddle. Thumbs up.

MattTuck
06-23-2020, 08:27 AM
The big take-away from Dave's first post is the fact that, if Dave Kirk, can discover a game changing piece of equipment at this point in his career, anyone can.

Maybe there are real gains still to be made on the equipment front.

brucehappy
06-23-2020, 07:49 PM
Curious where you all picked your saddle up. I was looking for an online retailer that carried the full range of PRO products (including stems and bags) as I need to finish the cockpit of my build, and I've found Blue Sky Cycling. Anyone have any other online retailers they can point me at?

scoobydrew
06-23-2020, 09:05 PM
For stems and bars, check out Bike Tires Direct. They also carry the PRO Stealth saddle. Don't think they carry bags though.

ColonelJLloyd
06-24-2020, 10:00 PM
Curious where you all picked your saddle up. I was looking for an online retailer that carried the full range of PRO products (including stems and bags) as I need to finish the cockpit of my build, and I've found Blue Sky Cycling. Anyone have any other online retailers they can point me at?

I bought my second Stealth Allroad 152 from Velostar via Amazon. At the time it was $113. I don't see that price now. I haven't seen a retailer that is a one-stop for Pro stuff. In fact, I can't find the Pro camera mount anywhere any longer.

brucehappy
06-25-2020, 12:10 AM
I would have been all over that. I ended up rolling the dice with bikeinn for the saddle and tape and then blue sky cycling for the stem.

Are you looking for this?
https://blueskycycling.com/collections/all/products/shimano-pro-integrated-camera-bracket-saddle-mount

ColonelJLloyd
06-25-2020, 06:02 AM
https://blueskycycling.com/collections/all/products/shimano-pro-integrated-camera-bracket-saddle-mount

That's it. Thanks.

dbnm
06-25-2020, 05:37 PM
I just received the Pro Stealth Super Light. It's really nice and weighs 140g.

I'll put it on tonight and post some photos tomorrow.

dbnm
06-26-2020, 09:51 PM
Did a quick 20 mile ride today on the Stealth Super Light. So far so good. Hoping for a longer ride tomorrow.

Clancy
06-26-2020, 10:05 PM
I would have been all over that. I ended up rolling the dice with bikeinn for the saddle and tape and then blue sky cycling for the stem.

Is there a mount For a Garmin Varia that will work With this?

brucehappy
06-27-2020, 08:45 AM
I couldn’t find anyone making a direct adapter. If you were using the PRO camera mount, then you’d need a GoPro to Varia adapter. There’s one on shapeways I see:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/X73FKZV25/garmin-varia-tail-light-edge-to-gopro-adapter

Also suggestions on general approaches to mounting here:

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/f/varia-series/118030/varia-mounting-options/852714#852714

Wakatel_Luum
07-07-2020, 05:23 PM
Has anyone tried a Selle San Marco Short Fit yet? I like the look and I'm considering trying one... https://pezcyclingnews.com/technspec/selle-san-marco-shortfit-carbon-fx-saddle/

metalheart
07-07-2020, 05:39 PM
Would this work? https://buplabs.com/pages/bup-labs-garmin-varia-mount-arm

SoCalSteve
07-07-2020, 06:52 PM
I couldn’t find anyone making a direct adapter. If you were using the PRO camera mount, then you’d need a GoPro to Varia adapter. There’s one on shapeways I see:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/X73FKZV25/garmin-varia-tail-light-edge-to-gopro-adapter

Also suggestions on general approaches to mounting here:

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/f/varia-series/118030/varia-mounting-options/852714#852714

I had them custom make me the “ large” version of this. Works great behind my Arundel Dual.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/QSM2KA967/shimano-pro-saddle-varia-mount?optionId=165478918&li=ostatus

Pastashop
11-30-2020, 04:12 PM
I must be old, because I still recall when the original Arione was debuted in the Tour, and the extra long nose was a big deal and borderline illegal, as it gave extra positions...

And, although just a bit before I got too deep into bikes, there was a version of the San Marco Concor (Sprint) saddle (https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=7063aa1a-af5d-414f-be48-ba3a269e711e&Enum=106) with a raised back that became illegal...

And now...

Has anyone tried a Selle San Marco Short Fit yet? I like the look and I'm considering trying one... https://pezcyclingnews.com/technspec/selle-san-marco-shortfit-carbon-fx-saddle/

The article says "... introduction of shorter nose saddles that have become more popular in the pro peloton." -- are these short-nosed saddles getting popular because of how the pros seem to like descending now, with their scranuses (scranii) on the top tube, and don't want the saddle nose to poke them in the back?.. Or is there another reason for the short nose all of a sudden? And, finally, is there a version of these without the f4rt-hole in the middle? :eek:

Peter P.
11-30-2020, 05:54 PM
And now...

The article says "... introduction of shorter nose saddles that have become more popular in the pro peloton." -- are these short-nosed saddles getting popular because of how the pros seem to like descending now, with their scranuses (scranii) on the top tube, and don't want the saddle nose to poke them in the back?.. Or is there another reason for the short nose all of a sudden? And, finally, is there a version of these without the f4rt-hole in the middle? :eek:

Short saddles and f4rt-holes are essential for the weight savings they provide. :rolleyes:

ridethecliche
11-30-2020, 06:46 PM
My 'aha' moment came when I first tried an SMP. I've tried a bunch of other saddles since, but keep going back to it. When I was in college, I refused to use it at first because it looked so ugly. In time I tried it after getting frustrated with everything else.

Game changer for me.

Glad you found yours!

clarendon
02-05-2021, 06:25 AM
Did a quick 20 mile ride today on the Stealth Super Light. So far so good. Hoping for a longer ride tomorrow.

Hi David - how are you getting on with the Super Light and do you know how this compares to a Rapha Pro Team saddle in 145mm? Thanks

David Kirk
02-05-2021, 07:39 AM
Hi David - how are you getting on with the Super Light and do you know how this compares to a Rapha Pro Team saddle in 145mm? Thanks

I still have the Shimano saddle on both my bikes and have no urge to change.

I have never used the Rapha saddle so I have zero insight to share.

dave

hollowgram5
02-05-2021, 11:48 AM
Hi David - how are you getting on with the Super Light and do you know how this compares to a Rapha Pro Team saddle in 145mm? ThanksI've had both, though my Pro saddle was a 152 and the rapha saddles are 145s. I missed my chance to grab a cut-out Pro Team 145, but am keeping my eyes open for one on the used market.. currently have 2 Classics and 2 Pro Teams. My body has preferred the Rapha saddles, but I should try a 142 Pro just to make sure.

Applesauce
02-06-2021, 09:14 AM
I still have the Shimano saddle on both my bikes and have no urge to change.

I have never used the Rapha saddle so I have zero insight to share.

dave

Quick OT ask-the-builder, since you’re here... Is the front-end geometry on your bike there super kinda compact? Looks like a very low-rake fork. Just curious, especially as it’s your personal ride (I presume).

And so that I can contribute something on-topic: I’ve been riding the Specialized Power Arcs for a few years, pretty much since they came out. I like them, not perfect for me for road riding, but close to perfect for MTBing. I’d like to try the Shimano saddle too, if only to compare.

David Kirk
02-06-2021, 09:34 AM
Quick OT ask-the-builder, since you’re here... Is the front-end geometry on your bike there super kinda compact? Looks like a very low-rake fork. Just curious, especially as it’s your personal ride (I presume).

Good morning -

No....nothing unusual with the geometry. I'd have to pull the file to be sure but I think the head angle is in the 73° range and the rake about 45mm. I'm pretty sure that the trail is about 56 mm.

The blades do have a long and gradual curve to them that runs nearly to the crown and that could be why they look different to your eye.

dave

RWL2222
02-06-2021, 10:13 AM
Learned a ton reading through this thread from the start. Thanks.

Applesauce
02-06-2021, 11:15 AM
The blades do have a long and gradual curve to them that runs nearly to the crown and that could be why they look different to your eye.

Sounds pretty normal. Must be just a trompe l'oiel! Gorgeous bike, in any case.

antlockyer
02-09-2021, 03:04 PM
Had one delivered today. I was already an hour into a ride, and I've been suffering a little with a sore bit on one side. Felt ok initially, felt like it needed to be way more forward than an Arione, will fiddle a little more and probably switch to an inline post.

Clancy
02-10-2021, 06:50 AM
I switched over to the Stealth saddle back when this thread started after riding Fizik Arione saddles for years. I liked it so much I bought a second one for one of my other bikes and have been riding these two bikes for the winter. A couple of days ago I took my 3rd bike out that still has a Fizik Arione saddle. I was very surprised, I was immediately uncomfortable and was stunned at the difference. The Arione has always fit me well to the point where on long rides I never thought about the saddle - the number one sign that a saddle is the right fit. But now after my butt has adjusted to the Shimano I was taken back at how uncomfortable the Fizik was.

Reflecting this may also have to do with my position being more upright these days but regardless I am sold on this saddle.

I know there are some who tried the Stealth and just couldn’t get along with it. If you happen to like to try a Fizik Arione, want to trade?

antlockyer
02-10-2021, 09:41 AM
Another hour and half on the trainer today. I've got it 2.4 degrees nose down over the entire length, which is a little bit less nose down than originally. Feels decent, best part is I can sit on the nose for 20 minutes with no issue at all, this was not the case on the Arione which required a fair bit of discomfort.

It 'might' be a touch wide for me, if I sit back I feel it on my inner thighs a bit, but the way I have it setup I can't really get back that far anyway. The lack of adjustment is the only real downside.

https://i.imgur.com/ASSGuZL.jpg

skouri1
02-10-2021, 09:51 AM
What is the deal with that range?
I thought if rails are supported by a decent clamp, you should be able to go almost to the bend...
am I crazy? I am not slamming saddles too often but still. On something like a syntace to get setback you need to.
Seems odd that a new age short saddle would have such limited adjustment range as I imagine one might need to experiment with fore aft to get things in the right place, and I guess with this range, that would mean buying another seatpost !

alexihnen
02-12-2021, 09:01 PM
So I ordered one this week based on this thread. I’ve been OK on many different saddles over the year, but assumed numbness and some discomfort were just the price to pay. I’ve been doing ~8hrs/week on Zwift and was feeling some discomfort, which in the past has led to a saddle sore. I usually just shift around to avoid it. Not really ideal.

Anyway, put the Pro Stealth on today and it was better. Not yet great, because it’s a different feeling. Your weight has to go somewhere. I noticed just how short it is. The nose is 3cm further from my bars than my Fabric saddle. I don’t have any saddle nose I can see when riding. I have my front wheel elevated on a riser block with a Kickr, so it’s a couple degrees inclined.

So I usually make it 30min until numbness and with the Pro I still wasn’t numb well past an hour. I’m almost sold after 1 ride. A good start at least.

Kyle h
02-12-2021, 09:42 PM
Going to sideline this thread a little. The Pro Stealth is a good 95% saddle for me but the padded Berk Dila is like a match made in heaven. The nose feels slightly wider but otherwise very similar. I bought one used from Clean and Berk warrantied it when the saddle rails broke but I will admit I’m a little worried about all the negative reviews these get for longevity.

metalheart
02-26-2021, 08:34 AM
Going to sideline this thread a little. The Pro Stealth is a good 95% saddle for me but the padded Berk Dila is like a match made in heaven. The nose feels slightly wider but otherwise very similar. I bought one used from Clean and Berk warrantied it when the saddle rails broke but I will admit I’m a little worried about all the negative reviews these get for longevity.

I have a couple of Dila's. The leather covering has come unglued and it looks as if it might not be easy to repair. This issue started last year and I did some glue repair and then while on the trainer a large portion of the covering came unglued and it may be impossible to reglue. The Dila is a nice saddle, but I am moving on and looking for something new.

The Stealth Pro, the Specialized Power, or the Fizik Tempo Argo sound like good options. I would prefer a saddle that has a more narrow nose than the Dila which is about 57-58mm.

Teletori
02-01-2022, 07:47 AM
Anyone tried the new Stealth Team saddle?

Any improvements over the old one? Love the Stealth Evo outside, but find it a bit hard on longer roller rides.

https://cdn-ctstaging.pressidium.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/2022-Pro-Bike-Gear-Stealth-and-Stealth-Curved-saddle-release-4-1340x754.jpg

rice rocket
02-01-2022, 08:17 AM
There's a curved version now too, just to add more confusion.

George M
02-01-2022, 07:38 PM
I wonder if any of you riding the Shimano could give me a measurement 4 inches back from the nose. I’m looking for 2 inches back from the nose. Thanks a lot.

Jeff N.
02-02-2022, 08:44 AM
Rode it. It's OK, but SMP Lite 209 is better....the best, actually.

George M
02-02-2022, 09:51 AM
Thanks Jeff, that’s good to hear.

jkbrwn
02-02-2022, 11:03 AM
Rode it. It's OK, but SMP Lite 209 is better....the best, actually.

The best to you. Giving open ended superlatives in saddle threads is kinda pointless. Because it sure as hell isn't better to me.

deluz
02-02-2022, 01:41 PM
I just tried a Pro Stealth and it did not work out.
Just very really hard and really stiff so I sent it back.
Still have not found anything better than my custom MELD saddles.

Peter P.
02-02-2022, 04:42 PM
Anyone tried the new Stealth Team saddle?...but find it a bit hard on longer roller rides.

I can't speak specifically on the Stealth, but I did switch to a similar saddle last fall, the Bontrager Aeolus.

I'm experiencing the same thing as you-not as comfortable when riding rollers, the trainer, etal. Didn't have a problem on the road.

BdaGhisallo
02-02-2022, 05:12 PM
I can't speak specifically on the Stealth, but I did switch to a similar saddle last fall, the Bontrager Aeolus.

I'm experiencing the same thing as you-not as comfortable when riding rollers, the trainer, etal. Didn't have a problem on the road.

I wouldn’t say the Stealth and the Aeolus are that similar. The Stealth is a lot flatter and the nose is a good bit wider.

George M
02-02-2022, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the reply everyone.

rice rocket
02-02-2022, 07:10 PM

I'm interested in trying the Aeolus too, but I'm waiting for the spring, where I can get more miles in the 30-day guarantee to make sure I like it.

Jeff N.
02-02-2022, 08:40 PM
The best to you. Giving open ended superlatives in saddle threads is kinda pointless. Because it sure as hell isn't better to me.You're right...I should've added IN MY OPINION.

ahumblecycler
03-26-2022, 06:41 AM
There's a curved version now too, just to add more confusion.

Bumping to see if anyone can shed light on the differences that Curve brings to the table. I did multiple web searches but nothing yielded anything helpful. My thought is that this model creates more slope in the wings like the Power Arc but again can’t find anything to confirm or not.

John H.
03-26-2022, 09:47 AM
Anyone have a Pro Stealth Team or Superlight saddle in 142mm that they did not get on with?
I am interested in trying one.

I have been riding Sworks Pro Arc 143 for several years- But recently it seems to not agree.
Right now I am riding a Fizik Argo and it seems decent, but I want to see what else is out there.
Also could trade Power for Stealth if that is of interest.

rice rocket
03-26-2022, 09:55 AM
Bumping to see if anyone can shed light on the differences that Curve brings to the table. I did multiple web searches but nothing yielded anything helpful. My thought is that this model creates more slope in the wings like the Power Arc but again can’t find anything to confirm or not.

I just bought one.

The curvature is really subtle, it's really a slight kick up in the back, instead of being pancake flat. Versus a Romin, it's a barely noticeable amount of curve. I bought it along with the Bontrager Aeolus Pro, one is going back in 30 days.

One thing to note, the available rail space is real short compared to the Aeolus or even the Romin, which makes it unusable for me on my road bike (integrated seat post without enough setback).

krooj
03-26-2022, 10:22 AM
I'm interested in trying the Aeolus too, but I'm waiting for the spring, where I can get more miles in the 30-day guarantee to make sure I like it.

I just started trialing a bunch of different saddles, including the Aeolus Pro, Pro Turnix, and a SLR Superflow. The Turnix is a winner for me, but the Aeolus isn’t too bad. It’s nice to be back on a 140-ish width instead of the ass-hatchet 155 Romins I’ve been using.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

callmeishmael
03-26-2022, 10:53 AM
The Aeolus is my go to.

That said, I must be odd but I find most saddles ok.

rice rocket
03-26-2022, 11:41 AM
Rail lengths (all lined up at the 80mm mark), try not to focus on the tilt....

Carbon/carbon Romin 143 on the bottom

https://i.imgur.com/gE6Ofeq.jpg

danman
03-26-2022, 12:25 PM
I switched to the shimano stealth. PSA went from 3.8 to 1.8.

rice rocket
04-10-2022, 10:05 PM
Just updating my experiences with the Stealth curved vs Aeolus, the channel in the Aeolus is wider in 145mm width, which may or may not work for you. For me, the Aeolus felt more like a flat saddle that had a kicked up rear and felt more like I was perched on, while the sides of the Stealth curved cradled better, especially on climbing when I pushed back into the curvature. This seems to match the (limited) marketing that has been released on the Stealth curved (deeper sides, narrower nose), so perhaps Stealth users could ostensibly interchange w/ the Aeolus, I have not ridden the non-curved Stealth though.

I think I'm still not used to having a nose to slide forward onto, and might try a wider Turnix, but quick comparison with the 132mm Turnix I have already, the sides do not sweep down as deep as the Stealth curved.

I think I'd like the Aeolus more if I were coming from a flatter saddle (Toupe, Arione, etc.), I wouldn't go as far as calling it flat though. My saddle for the last 8 or so years has been the Romin carbon.