PDA

View Full Version : 2020- favorite bar wrap?

AngryScientist
03-22-2020, 06:40 PM
Freshening up my gravel bike this weekend. Seems like a bunch of corona time coming up to do some solo projects in the garage. Good to enter spring riding season with fresh tape!

I was looking a Silca. Always a fan of old school cinelli cork.

what are the current favorites?

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Cg6OFLcuB_c/Xm6YuEKCEgI/AAAAAAAADjs/24EutbYaRpQmVPhdtNqnDQVSHccaDrVawCLcBGAsYHQ/s1200/IMG_5201.jpg

rccardr
03-22-2020, 06:46 PM
Lately, Cinelli Caleido. White or black kinda goes with everything.

jemoryl
03-22-2020, 06:51 PM
Currently I'm partial to Pro (Shimano) Sport Control: wraps nicely, feels good, wears well, and doesn't cost very much. The sticky silicone strip on the backside allows repositioning and removal without any residue. I don't really understand why any bar tape (baring something really fancy, like stitched leather) should be more than $20.

nesteel
03-22-2020, 06:52 PM
I'm still slowly chewing through a stash of old school Bike Ribbon. That and some indestructible black wrap I picked up from dgoodwin here on the forum.

Idris Icabod
03-22-2020, 07:04 PM
Deda is my favorite. I'm locked in as well for years as it's the thing I always add to my cart to get to any free shipping threshold. I bet I've got 20 boxes in different colors in my spare parts bin.

madsciencenow
03-22-2020, 07:07 PM
The Zipp Cx stuff works well for gravel. Not my jam for road but I like for off-road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeBike
03-22-2020, 07:29 PM
My latest fave is Zevlin, which I believe is no longer being manufactured. I tried it because it was low cost and had some good reviews. Not overly thick or cushioned, wraps well, good grip and seems to be very durable. I have even unwrapped and then redone the wrap on a set of handlebars twice, using the same tape. I have only been able to find it in a couple of places online, and black only.

Blue Jays
03-22-2020, 07:35 PM
Handlebra leather is really nice if one is fairly confident that the bicycle won't see much rain.

Fizik (afaik?) has a pretty durable "glossy" wrap that simultaneously provides very good grip.

cgolvin
03-22-2020, 07:54 PM
Lately, Cinelli Caleido. White or black kinda goes with everything.

Seconded. Classic but with a hint of bling.

Like the Supacaz that I have on my Peg, for the same reason — mainly black but gold highlights to tie into the color scheme. It’s overpriced at retail but lately I’ve seen it on sale at a number of places.

Bentley
03-22-2020, 08:02 PM
Both Prologo and Profile design have some super grippy/cushy tape now...

R3awak3n
03-22-2020, 08:04 PM
I used to be all Fizik Microtex. I still think its very good and very durable.

Lately however I have been into the tacky stuff. I do like the supacaz kush stuff but its a bit expensive and a bit too thin and fragile (also do not like the logo too much).

I used the Zipp CX stuff and its very good, very cushy (maybe too cushy for some), I like that the back of it is a gel so that it does not leave gunk in your handlebars when you remove it.

Last one I used is the new fizik vento tape. Might be my current favorite because it is btw the supacaz and the zipp stuff but its not as expensive as the supacaz. I installed mine in a way that there are no fizik logos (but I guess you can choose) and I know you like colors and just like the supacaz there are a TON of colors to choose from.

Andy340
03-22-2020, 08:18 PM
Lizard Skins DSP 2.5 is my go to bar tape. Set up is a bit tricky as it doesn’t stretch much but once on it has worked very well for me on multiple bikes

eBAUMANN
03-22-2020, 08:19 PM
fabric has some nice tape options ("knurl" for example) these days for not a lot of bucks.

if you like grippy, lizard skins dsp is hard to beat. i prefer the thicker stuff.
that said, it is more sensitive to abrasion than something like fizik microtex or other faux-leather style tapes.

cinelli caleido is good stuff for sure as well.

arundel gecko grip is also quite good/durable.

there are almost too many options ha

charliedid
03-22-2020, 08:26 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200323/ac4bb9d5f86b74cf630909f835806a59.jpg
3mm Bondcush Classic. Refresh tomorrow.

stumpyjr
03-22-2020, 08:32 PM
Lizard skins dsp by far

IJWS
03-22-2020, 08:34 PM
Zip Service Course. Tacky, little bit of squish, nice sheen.

nobuseri
03-22-2020, 08:45 PM
Fizik super light - tacky touch. All black or all white. Getting harder to find.

R3awak3n
03-22-2020, 08:49 PM
Fizik super light - tacky touch. All black or all white. Getting harder to find.

try the vento, its good stuff

nobuseri
03-22-2020, 08:50 PM
Will give it a shot. Thanks!

rst72
03-22-2020, 08:53 PM
Fabric silicone is my favorite by a mile. I have white and super easy to clean

https://fabric.cc/products/tape/silicone-bar-tape/

Overshot
03-22-2020, 09:01 PM
SRAM has been my go to for 2 seasons now. Easy and stretchy to wrap, and sticky when wet.

tv_vt
03-22-2020, 09:12 PM
Just tried a set of Fizik Tempo Bondcush Soft. How's that for a name? But it's really nice if you're into a soft cushy suede type of tape. Oh wait, maybe that's where the name came from.;)

Alaska Mike
03-22-2020, 10:17 PM
SRAM cork or Bontrager cork for my everyday rides, but I'm trying Arundel Gecko for the travel bikes.

jm714
03-22-2020, 10:23 PM
My latest fave is Zevlin, which I believe is no longer being manufactured. I tried it because it was low cost and had some good reviews. Not overly thick or cushioned, wraps well, good grip and seems to be very durable. I have even unwrapped and then redone the wrap on a set of handlebars twice, using the same tape. I have only been able to find it in a couple of places online, and black only.

RedMonkey is now manufacturing and selling the Zevlin tape. I just bought a roll of black for $21.99. They have other colors.

okayku
03-22-2020, 11:01 PM
Lizard Skin DSPs all the way - the perfect amount of cush (which you can decide) and tack

dave thompson
03-22-2020, 11:57 PM

Zevlin was purchased by Red Monkey Sports. I have the Zevlin on my Spectrum and Red Monkey on the rest of my bikes. Terrific stuff.

kiwisimon
03-23-2020, 12:31 AM
Fizik Vento, grippy and good cush but not too thick. I don't wear gloves usually and like the feel even when it gets wet.

93KgBike
03-23-2020, 01:03 AM
Supacaz polyurethane feels great, and stays grippy when wet

https://supacaz.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/super-sticky-kush-galaxy-oil-slick-side-600x600.jpg
Super Sticky Kush Galaxy – Oil Slick

one60
03-23-2020, 02:22 AM
Acros silicone tape has elevation contours imbedded in its design which goes well with the offroad nature of a gravel rig? No backing tape makes wrapping/rewrapping easier. Grip feel is great. I'd rate cushioning as 8/10...significantly better than traditional cork tapes.

Shorex silicone (bottom photo) rates 10/10 on cushioning. Great grip...very rubber-y feel since it appears to be 100% silicone. This tape is easily stretched allowing one to reduce the thickness/cushioning. No backing tape.

Kingfisher
03-23-2020, 04:30 AM
Fizik Microtex terra bondcush performance 3mm is the best I’ve used. Thick, tacky just perfect

Veloo
03-23-2020, 05:09 AM
Fizik glossy microtex for me. Wipes clean.
I don't have issues with slipping or grip so no need for the tacky stuff that dirt clings to. I used it on my 6 day ride that was pretty dusty at times. Was one less thing to clean up.

I also used the Shorex for a bit. Good stuff, like the stretchy ability to manipulate thickness.

Clancy
03-23-2020, 05:44 AM

Recently wrapped a set of bars with this, really like it.

My favorite for the last few years has been the Cinelli Volee tape, really like the rubberized feel.

Interesting though, how bar tape has become a highly specialized accessory in its own right, and considerably more expensive. Overwhelming number of choices with some mighty claims, and some very serious marketing.

pdonk
03-23-2020, 05:45 AM
Another fabric silicone user. Will confirm that the white is super easy to clean.

Other tape I like is salsa gel cork. Stays clean,good cushion, cheap enough to replace, lasts well, readily available, lots of colour choices.

8eh3iub
03-23-2020, 05:57 AM
Tressostar black.

R3awak3n
03-23-2020, 05:59 AM
Recently wrapped a set of bars with this, really like it.

My favorite for the last few years has been the Cinelli Volee tape, really like the rubberized feel.

Interesting though, how bar tape has become a highly specialized accessory in its own right, and considerably more expensive. Overwhelming number of choices with some mighty claims, and some very serious marketing.

I agree, some stuff is just way too expensive. The new thing (supacaz, looking at you) is including some fancy barend plugs which I don't want but then you can charge $50. I think I paid $30 for the vento which is about what I am comfortable paying for bar tape. Only few times I paid more was the Supacaz and one time lizard skin. The Supacaz I liked, I thought the lizard skins was not great, it did not last long at all

everbeek
03-23-2020, 06:48 AM
Except for a single bad experience with some pink Benotto Cellotape in the early 80s at a hot and humid Wheat Thins Miss-n-Out race, I was taught that handlebar tape can only be white. 5 years with Velox Tressostar, 20 with Cinelli cork and the last 15 happy with Deda foam tape ($10 a roll). Decided to try some Silca Nastro Piloti as I like the company (new and old). The Silca went on easily and I really like the shaped wings for the shifters. Very grippy though I never thought grip was ever an issue with any tape after ditching Benotto. The Silca tape cleans easily but I can get 4 Deda foams for the price of one Silca. White Deda foam does not clean well at all but it forces me to perform a nice safety inspection of the entire bar set up a few times per year as I rewrap. Comfort is nearly a tie with perhaps Deda foam a little more forgiving but the Deda foam makes for a fatter diameter bar (a slight negative in my opinion). Too early to tell if I'll put the Silca on the RS or wife's Zanc but it has not been a disappointing experiment so far.
-Mike

P.S. - awesome bar plugs come with the Silca tape.

SPOKE
03-23-2020, 07:20 AM
Handlebra for most of my road bikes. The gravel bike gets lizardskinz or another rubber/silicone type tape that offers a tacky feel.

Elefantino
03-23-2020, 07:23 AM
Fabric Knurl tape from Cannondale is excellent.

joshatsilca
03-23-2020, 07:26 AM
While I clearly have my opinions, here is what the latest Tour Magazin test found in a test of 18 different tapes. We were told that it was planned to be 20 tapes and the notable missing brand opted not to participate:
The performance categories top to bottom are

Toughness/Tear Resistance - (SILCA 3rd)
Ease of Wrapping - (SILCA 7th)
Wet/Dry Grip - (SILCA 1st)
Cushioning - (SILCA 1st)

https://imgur.com/a/6zyf6Vo

OtayBW
03-23-2020, 07:30 AM
I have to say, I still like Cinelli Cork with a thin underlayer of hockey tape the best. :butt:

superbowlpats
03-23-2020, 07:30 AM
Big fan of the Zipp CX stuff, for both my road and CX bike. Just switched my road to Silca Fiore - meh, doesnt seem that cushiony, found it to be a PITA to install and its pricey. nice bar end plugs tho. I have the Silca Cuscino also as a replacement for my CX bike but I'm waiting for warmer weather to install (hoping that will make it easier to wrap).

charliedid
03-23-2020, 08:22 AM
Tressostar black.

Hi Grant!

Schredder
03-23-2020, 01:21 PM
Zip Service Course. Tacky, little bit of squish, nice sheen.

The regular or CX tape?

Waldo62
03-23-2020, 03:00 PM
Lizard skins dsp by far

Lizard Skins feels good, but wears out surprisingly quickly, I found.

Ozz
03-23-2020, 03:03 PM
Deda is my favorite. I'm locked in as well for years as it's the thing I always add to my cart to get to any free shipping threshold. I bet I've got 20 boxes in different colors in my spare parts bin.

+1.....just white and light blue though.

jtbadge
03-23-2020, 03:19 PM
I stocked up on Fizik Endurance Classic Touch after they redesigned all of their bar tape products last year. Should last me a year or two while I figure out my next move.

zap
03-23-2020, 03:41 PM
I stocked up on Fizik Endurance Classic Touch after they redesigned all of their bar tape products last year. Should last me a year or two while I figure out my next move.

Should have done the same. I really like the 2mm superlight version......now it has "fizik" printed on it.

Seramount
03-23-2020, 04:21 PM
have no use for 'tacky' tape...

the Fizik Microtex has served me well for years, don't see any need to change.

gibbo
03-23-2020, 04:47 PM
For something bespoke, with a price to match busyman does some of the nicest work I have seen. I splurged on some and I really love the way he matched the colour to my frame.
http://busymanbicycles.blogspot.com/?m=1
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200323/e787e1f31ea56402d756046adfeb5d98.jpg

pfr
03-23-2020, 04:59 PM
Really like Silca's NASTRO PILOTI bar tape, particularly the butterfly that makes it easier to wrap around the shifter. Strong tape.

Love Silca's NASTRO AERO BAR on my TT bike. Minimalist, super cool.

AngryScientist
03-27-2020, 05:43 PM
grumble.

bought some of the supacaz white stuff on sale from ebizzle.

note: i have 42 compact bars.

this tape, for me, was too short, not 2-ways about it, there is no way i'm wrapping the whole bar with this stuff. damnit.

back to the drawing board.

cgolvin
03-27-2020, 06:21 PM
grumble.

this tape, for me, was too short, not 2-ways about it, there is no way i'm wrapping the whole bar with this stuff. damnit.

Drag, sorry to hear it Nick. I used it on Deda 100 44s (so 42 c-t-c) without a problem, however:

- I wasn’t happy with the coverage of the shifter clamps
- I started flush at the bar end since the metal plugs don’t need extra tape inside to hold them in place

8eh3iub
03-27-2020, 08:06 PM
Should have done the same. I really like the 2mm superlight version......now it has "fizik" printed on it.

On the new version, one side has a logo printed in white. The other side has the logo recessed/embossed. Depending on the direction you wrap, it can be made virtually invisible by trailing with the embossed side.

veloduffer
03-27-2020, 10:12 PM
Last few years I've been a fan of Bontrager tape. I like this version currently - Grippytack (https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equipment/cycling-components/bike-handlebar-grips-tape/bike-handlebar-tape/bontrager-grippytack-handlebar-tape/p/14245/?colorCode=black_yellowvisibility) --good grip, easy to clean and subtle color.

I think the Black-red would look good on the Ritchey - and stay clean.

https://trek.scene7.com/is/image/TrekBicycleProducts/14245_B_1_Grippytack_Handlebar?$responsive-pjpg$&wid=1920&hei=1440

Clancy
03-28-2020, 06:18 AM
To Gibbo.....

That is BEAUTIFUL!

Thrust
03-28-2020, 06:19 AM

So THAT's why they look different. I thought I made a misstake in the purchase. That sucks.

Kyle h
03-28-2020, 07:01 AM
I'm a huge fa of the Supacaz stuff. It looks great, holds up well, and feels awesome in my hands. We just put the new Silca Nastro on my wifes gravel bike and I've got the Silca Fiore on mine, both feel really nice and look like they will hold up well.

soulspinner
03-28-2020, 07:47 AM
I have to say, I still like Cinelli Cork with a thin underlayer of hockey tape the best. :butt:

Cinelli gel cork here no hockey tape tho.

MikeD
03-28-2020, 09:24 AM
This woven bar tape looks interesting. I'm thinking of buying some. https://btpbartape.com/product-categories/brbn-arrow-candy/ Maybe hard to keep clean though.

Tony
03-28-2020, 10:30 AM
+ 1 for the Bontrager tape. I've used several varieties, been very pleased with their tape.

A1A
03-28-2020, 10:57 AM
A couple years ago we were fortunate in our little neck of the upstate NY woods to have an LA Area pro bike mechanic move to the area to take care of his elderly mom. He set up shop in her garage (basement in the winter) for repairs only and it's been a blessing. I dropped one of my bikes off for a spring tune up (I have him do stuff I used to do) and he pointed out I could use some new tape. I normally use Cinelli cork. I said sure and then he asked me if I wanted him to double wrap the bars. Said I never heard of such a thing, I'm 65, that's saying a lot... So he said a lot of the pro cyclists double wrap their bars with cork or similar for more cushion and to increase the diamer slightly for an easler grip. So I said sure, let's try it on this bike first. Got it back and wow, better than a new pair of gloves, almost a magic carpet ride. Probably added about $15, didn't ask for a breakdown but once a year or two why not. Think I can swing an xtra $15 even with a tanked 401(k), better than numbish hands after 50 or 60 miles.

jpritchet74
03-28-2020, 10:59 AM
Silca, hands down. The most comfortable I have ever ridden (I don't ride with gloves) and the texture is amazing.

Unless you want white - it gets dirty quickly and doesn't clean well.

Jad
03-28-2020, 11:03 AM
I like thin tape and have really liked using Newbaum's (though I think they have padded now). It wears fairly fast, but I like the texture and how simple it is. I also like the colors.

gibbo
03-28-2020, 02:18 PM
To Gibbo.....

That is BEAUTIFUL!

Thanks Clancy, I am hoping they last a long time.

teleguy57
03-29-2020, 11:43 AM
Silca, hands down. The most comfortable I have ever ridden (I don't ride with gloves) and the texture is amazing.

Unless you want white - it gets dirty quickly and doesn't clean well.

Hmmm. I have a roll of white waiting to be wrapped and was hoping it was going to be better than other white tapes I've tried to stay a bit cleaner, or at least clean up nicely. Worst was Fizik Tack; it was -- and any little bit of grime grabbed on and never released.

Finding that right mix of cushion, grip, hand feel (I usually am gloveless in the summer) and ability to keep clean is a real challenge for those of us who are white tape people.

We'll see how the Slica performs for me once I get it on the bike.

MagicHour
03-29-2020, 11:53 AM
Fabric Knurl

RiderR
03-29-2020, 12:16 PM

+1. Looks and feels classy, cleans easily, good grip when wet.

Bob Ross
03-29-2020, 12:38 PM
With these caveats
A) I've never wrapped my own bars; and
B) I have never encountered a bartape that was either so bad that I swore "Never again" nor so amazing that I swore "This is the tape I will always use going forward"

...I will say that the Handlebra leather bartape that came on my Sachs was pretty darn nice.

zennmotion
03-29-2020, 01:28 PM
grumble.

Red Monkey (used to be Zevlin) Big 40 is what you want, and then you can stop looking. It's super wide, and super long. 22 bucks, not cheap but reasonable, you can find some colors on sale and it has good longevity. I can't can't believe I flipped through 5 pages of a bar tape thread, but I did just to make sure someone mentioned the stuff, and they did in several posts. FWIW, it was special-curated and branded with the NFS logo and sold for awhile by the Big Guy TT across the hall (so it has the appropriate snob cache/seal of approval over there :cool:) I hoarded a box full when it appeared Zevlin was out of the business but you are now all saved from bar tape calamity when Red Monkey brought it back. Now go buy some
https://www.redmonkeysports.com/collections/road-gravel-bar-tape/products/big40-road-gravel-bar-tape-single-color

everbeek
03-29-2020, 05:48 PM
If you look at my earlier post you will see that I found Silca white easier to clean than anything else I had ever used.
Hmmm. I have a roll of white waiting to be wrapped and was hoping it was going to be better than other white tapes I've tried to stay a bit cleaner, or at least clean up nicely. Worst was Fizik Tack; it was -- and any little bit of grime grabbed on and never released.

Finding that right mix of cushion, grip, hand feel (I usually am gloveless in the summer) and ability to keep clean is a real challenge for those of us who are white tape people.

We'll see how the Slica performs for me once I get it on the bike.

TiminVA
03-29-2020, 06:17 PM
I've been using Salsa tape for several years now. Good feel, lasts forever and available in many colors.

teleguy57
03-29-2020, 06:56 PM
If you look at my earlier post you will see that I found Silca white easier to clean than anything else I had ever used.

You know, now that you reminded me I did recall reading it. The roll I have is Nastro Piloti and going on some Deda Trentacinque bars so I'm ok with not adding a lot more bulk (but I'd be ok with a little bigger too).

My hold up is that I'm thinking about swapping out my iLinks housing for some Jagwire Elite link -- and maybe running them internally through the bars. I'd think about doing that with my brake cables as well, but they're Campy hydro internally routed through DT, BB and CS, and not excited about doing that over again, bleeding etc.

I suppose I could just do everything on the outside of the bars like they are now...

Again, thanks for refreshing my memory!

gbcoupe
03-29-2020, 06:59 PM
I've been buying some other brands for a little pop of color underneath, but hard to beat Deda.

Affordable, perforated or no, lots of color choices and holds up well. Comfortable wet or dry. I don't wear gloves FWIW.