PDA

View Full Version : Brrrrrr.....

pdxmech13
01-12-2007, 07:31 PM
I wish that I still owned some of my Midwest riding gear. 32ish and colder goin down hill. Bib tights would have been nice. Next week rapha will be making a delievery to my door

ejh
01-12-2007, 07:46 PM
We wish it was that warm here. -11* forcasted tonight. eric

fierte_poser
01-12-2007, 07:47 PM
global warming sux! :banana:

Seriously, something went wrong yesterday at around 6pm. :confused:

Ginger
01-12-2007, 07:52 PM
Yeah, winter showed up.

dave thompson
01-12-2007, 07:56 PM
I wish that I still owned some of my Midwest riding gear. 32ish and colder goin down hill. Bib tights would have been nice. Next week rapha will be making a delievery to my door
Wuss. It'll be -3 here tomorrow. Come ride with us, just don't lick any steel bikes!

Louis
01-12-2007, 08:59 PM
I don't think I'll be riding any time soon ...

David Kirk
01-12-2007, 09:03 PM
At this moment it's -15* here. The high today was -3*

Yummy.

Dave

chrisroph
01-12-2007, 11:11 PM
coy and i are riding fixies at 8:30, should be about 20.

Karin Kirk
01-12-2007, 11:41 PM
Yesterday we went skiing at 16 below. Snow isn't really slippery at that temp. It's abrasive and grippy and the skis groan across the snow. Not much fun. But I'm going up again tomorrow - it's supposed to warm up a bit. :)

dave thompson
01-13-2007, 12:00 AM
Yesterday we went skiing at 16 below. Snow isn't really slippery at that temp. It's abrasive and grippy and the skis groan across the snow. Not much fun. But I'm going up again tomorrow - it's supposed to warm up a bit. :)
Up? To +6?!?! Yow!

vaxn8r
01-13-2007, 01:42 AM
20F and still dropping. That ain't chump change around these parts.

chrisroph
01-14-2007, 10:15 AM
coy and i are riding fixies at 8:30, should be about 20.

It was between 23 and 26, pretty dang cold for the pnw. We got in about 2 hrs on the fixies. brrrrrrr

pale scotsman
01-14-2007, 10:24 AM
We've got freaky warm (for us) weather down here. It was 77 and partly cloudy yesterday. Much of the same today... Long ride today after church. I'll try to get in some extra miles for all that are weathered in!

gt6267a
01-14-2007, 11:00 AM
i have not put on a jacket in weeks. it is crazy hot down here.

vaxn8r
01-14-2007, 11:04 AM
It was between 23 and 26, pretty dang cold for the pnw. We got in about 2 hrs on the fixies. brrrrrrr
I rode 63 solo miles yesterday. Temps were under 30. There's still snow and ice everywhere from the snow on Wednesday. After more than 3 1/2 hours in that stuff I was wasted. Still kind of am this AM.

Louis
01-14-2007, 01:32 PM
Two of these pics were taken from my bedroom windows and the out-of-focus "branch on the ground" from my kitchen window. We're supposed to get even more freezing rain tonight, so who knows what will happen. Tons of folks have lost power due to trees / branches falling on power lines. So far so good for us, but last line I walked down to the main road and there are many many big trees overhanging our lines, so who knows. Plus it's supposed to get much colder on Monday. Without power that's kind of tough. And most of the houses here (including mine) are all-electric. Including water, since we all have wells...

dave thompson
01-14-2007, 01:39 PM
Louis: You guys got our storm!

No cycling for us.

Louis
01-14-2007, 01:56 PM
Louis: You guys got our storm!

Gee, thanks for sharing, Dave !!!

If it had been snow it would not have caused as much damage. I just checked our electric utility web site and they have 144,000 customers without power. In my zip code 3679 of 7995 customers are without power. This is the second big ice storm this winter and last time many folks were out of power for over a week, with some nights having low temps in the teens. When you get used to something it's tough to live without it!

The scary part is that today and tonight things will get even worse...

bcm119
01-14-2007, 02:18 PM
I'm down in the Bay area this weekend and its freezing! Yesterdays ride in the berkeley hills was barely above 40! Brrr! :)

shinomaster
01-14-2007, 02:36 PM
I'm down in the Bay area this weekend and its freezing! Yesterdays ride in the berkeley hills was barely above 40! Brrr! :)

Dude you are missing out...It's 30 in Portland.
:banana:

David Kirk
01-14-2007, 03:11 PM
There was a new record low recorded in West Yellowstone MT the other night. The old record low was a balmy -41* but the new is a good and chilly -47*.

Tough folks there.

Dave

shinomaster
01-14-2007, 03:16 PM
Ouch, Dave....can you say freezer-burn?

swoop
01-14-2007, 03:38 PM
it was 36 this morning when i rolled out. it was 80 last week. a bunch of guys from santa monica and south bay riding in the cold... is a funny thing.
my tendons felt like wood.. totally nasuea inducing with all the layers of crap on. frucking miserable. i'm way too delicate for anything other than a perfect day. there, i said it.

Erik.Lazdins
01-14-2007, 03:46 PM
I hope to ride within 7 days but it looks tough now. 3 - 4 inches of frozen sleet/freezing rain mix - supposed to clear out and get wicked cold (for Tulsa that is)

Louis - good pics I hope you keep power - We have ice but got lucky with more sleet!

Erik

vaxn8r
01-14-2007, 03:51 PM
it was 36 this morning when i rolled out. it was 80 last week. a bunch of guys from santa monica and south bay riding in the cold... is a funny thing.
my tendons felt like wood.. totally nasuea inducing with all the layers of crap on. frucking miserable. i'm way too delicate for anything other than a perfect day. there, i said it.
Yep, it's really crap riding when it's pushing freezing or below. I don't think it's a good idea to ride in teens unless you're going pretty easy. As it is, with added windchill you have to be careful. But with cold and multiple layers of tights, booties and gloves (I wore two of everything yesterday and was warm enough) it makes it feel like you're riding in syrup. I don't mind upper 30's and above.

My excuse is a trip to CA in 10 days and I've only been outside on the bike twice this year. I had to get outside yesterday. Otherwise no way I would have ridden in those conditions.

Climb01742
01-14-2007, 03:53 PM
nothing like what dave has in MT but this morning's ride was 34* and rain. that combo (rain in the 30s) always seems particularly miserable. sleet and ice predicted here next few days. had to come eventually, but still..... :crap:

azrider
01-14-2007, 03:55 PM
Two of these pics were taken from my bedroom windows and the out-of-focus "branch on the ground" from my kitchen window. We're supposed to get even more freezing rain tonight, so who knows what will happen. Tons of folks have lost power due to trees / branches falling on power lines. So far so good for us, but last line I walked down to the main road and there are many many big trees overhanging our lines, so who knows. Plus it's supposed to get much colder on Monday. Without power that's kind of tough. And most of the houses here (including mine) are all-electric. Including water, since we all have wells...

Damn I don't miss St.Louis in the winter time.

Kevan
01-14-2007, 03:59 PM
I should be out there right now in shorts and shortsleeves, even as it grows dark. Here it's just plain rainy, with temps in the 40's, for the whole of the MLK holiday weekend. No real surprise... the club's Yahoo message board has been dang quiet about anyone interested in leading a ride this weekend.

Maybe tomorrow...

stevep
01-14-2007, 05:27 PM
swoop was telling me about the time he started a ride at 76 degress... a little cold but rideable.
the temp plummeted to 72 and when he felt the hypothermia coming on he had to call for a ride home.
" my feet were getting numb... and i dont think it was the carbon soled shoes either..." i was over a half hour from home too, could not take the chance of getting my feet amputated.

a close call for the man.

Karin Kirk
01-14-2007, 06:51 PM
Well Swoop, I'm glad I wasn't the only one putting up with sub-ideal weather.
Today it got above zero! :)
Yesterday we had an inversion so it was a balmy 5 degrees near the top of the ski area, and it never really broke zero at the house. Today's high up there was 1 or 2, but it was windy so it was brutal. Despite my best efforts to stay covered up, the tip of my nose kept turning white. Aside from that I was OK, but by the end of the day today I was over it. Three days of skiing/working in below zero temps is enough!

It's supposed to get warmer over the next couple of days.

Louis, and all you other mid-westerners, good luck with the ice storm. That sounds rough. And for goodness sakes don't be riding your bikes on the icy roads!

spiderman
01-14-2007, 07:51 PM
on an hour loop yesterday in omaha
after the temp soared to 10 degrees above zero.
the cobbles of old lincoln hiway
and snow gently falling
made for a beautiful ride.
i was just glad to get home in one piece today
and not slip off the road in the suburban.
my wife hit the rollers this afternoon
and i just watched the ballgames.
as exciting as they were
i didn't trust myself on the rollers!
a day of rest
is a very good thing, after all...
time to recharge the battery!

chrisroph
01-14-2007, 09:52 PM
I rode 63 solo miles yesterday. Temps were under 30. There's still snow and ice everywhere from the snow on Wednesday. After more than 3 1/2 hours in that stuff I was wasted. Still kind of am this AM.

Man it was way too cold for 3.5 hours. You are one tough mutha.

chrisroph
01-14-2007, 09:55 PM

I used to ride in those parts so I can say this.....the socal boys are real wimps when it comes to weather, and most of em have no idea what kind of gear to use when it is in the 30's. They either don't even own the right stuff, or they have no idea what works because of lack of experience.

Today was way wrmer then yesterday, with highs in the mid 30's and sun. I rode the sachs cross on some trails for 1.5 hours. How does that erichie guy build bikes that ride so perfect?

shinomaster
01-14-2007, 10:23 PM
I used to ride in those parts so I can say this.....the socal boys are real wimps when it comes to weather, and most of em have no idea what kind of gear to use when it is in the 30's. They either don't even own the right stuff, or they have no idea what works because of lack of experience.

Today was way wrmer then yesterday, with highs in the mid 30's and sun. I rode the sachs cross on some trails for 1.5 hours. How does that erichie guy build bikes that ride so perfect?

Next time you go ride that thing call me, I wanna go too...

chrisroph
01-14-2007, 10:32 PM
Next time you go ride that thing call me, I wanna go too...

OK,you ride this weekend?

shinomaster
01-14-2007, 10:37 PM
I rode around a lot, but not as a "ride" per say...It got a good work out though cause I'm out of shape and dumpy again.

Tom
01-15-2007, 07:35 AM
It's a little slick out there. Another trainer ride. My new scheme is to decide how many songs I ride through on the iPod. That way I never really know how long I'm going to ride. 15 tunes can be anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and a half, depending on how Mr. Random serves them up.

Speaking of that, I gotta buy a couple from the new Clapton/Cale album and a couple from Bob Dylan's new one and I guess any Sonny Landreth I can dig up.

Ever since they figured out KPIG and blocked the feed at work I haven't been picking up any new stuff. Maybe I take the work laptop downstairs and drop the proxy, plug in the speakers and see what's new these days.

Blastinbob
01-15-2007, 07:43 AM
Yesterdays new record low for Long Beach was 31. Watching part of the Hula Bowl and people in shorts made me want to hop on a plane, but it won't be headed to Yellowstone.

Jack Brunk
01-15-2007, 11:27 AM
Bob,

19 degrees up near me yesterday. I was going to go out this morning but these 50 MPH winds and a temp of 40 is a lttle tough.

Jack