https://www.instagram.com/tv/B9_yOIrFWh4/?igshid=ewpr3wr36k68

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

henrypretz
03-21-2020, 02:16 PM
Wow. I have chills.

homagesilkhope
03-21-2020, 02:28 PM
Wow. I have chills.

Hmmm, not me. I call it slick production, Hollywood-worthy right down to the treacly script. "Change?" Looks like business as usual to me. The "difficult decision" avoided last week was calling the race, but that's me. Call me cynical.

henrypretz
03-21-2020, 02:44 PM
Fair enough, Mr Cynical.
Hmmm, not me. I call it slick production, Hollywood-worthy right down to the treacly script. "Change?" Looks like business as usual to me. The "difficult decision" avoided last week was calling the race, but that's me. Call me cynical.

R3awak3n
03-21-2020, 03:08 PM
A bit too dramatic for me, its just a bike ride (that said, it is the last big ride before everything was shut down so maybe it does deserve the rapha epic threatment)

That said...

I really like the midsouth organizer, he seems like a great dude and seems to actually care about this race and everything else so big ups to him. - edit - I thought this had happened a week before it did, he messed up. He should have cancelled the event and shoulda have 100% not been hugging everyone.

FlashUNC
03-21-2020, 05:54 PM
Irresponsible to hold a bike race drawing in folks from all over during a pandemic.

First case in Stillwater was diagnosed, what, a day after the race?

thwart
03-21-2020, 05:58 PM
Irresponsible to hold a bike race drawing in folks from all over during a pandemic.

Ya know, I have to agree.

Dumb stuff.

peanutgallery
03-21-2020, 06:02 PM
Unfortunately, gravel races are the new color run. Curious as to why this one took place

Lots of professional promoters are going to take it in the shorts. Bike competition is going to be pretty lean for a few years after all this

jischr
03-21-2020, 08:07 PM

Agree to a point and disagree.
NBA cancelled on the 11th, MLB on the 12th, Paris-Nice ran to conclusion on the 14th. MidSouth ran on the 14th. There was a lot of confusing rhetoric in Washington that week, IMHO.

I presume the governor of OK didn't prevent large gatherings yet or there would have been local or state police preventing the start.

So hindsight says yea it probably should have been cancelled. But,,,was anyone being paid to ride? If not they all had the same opportunity to no-show based on their own decision tree. I wonder if anyone sent the organizer an email saying they weren't coming because of SARS-CoV-2 concerns.

FlashUNC
03-21-2020, 08:23 PM
Agree to a point and disagree.
NBA cancelled on the 11th, MLB on the 12th, Paris-Nice ran to conclusion on the 14th. MidSouth ran on the 14th. There was a lot of confusing rhetoric in Washington that week, IMHO.

I presume the governor of OK didn't prevent large gatherings yet or there would have been local or state police preventing the start.

So hindsight says yea it probably should have been cancelled. But,,,was anyone being paid to ride? If not they all had the same opportunity to no-show based on their own decision tree. I wonder if anyone sent the organizer an email saying they weren't coming because of SARS-CoV-2 concerns.

Were quite a few sponsored riders there.

It's not the organizer's job to pass the buck and say "Let's hold it and caveat emptor." I agree he was getting mixed messaging from DC and elsewhere, but if pro sports leagues were canceling, what signal should that send to an organizer of a race drawing in people from literally all over the country?

tv_vt
03-21-2020, 08:49 PM
Guess I'm the minority these days, but I just don't get the thrill of these mud ride-obstacle course events. Yuk. Reminds me of the early days of MTB, when everybody and anybody was doing it and it was a big party scene. Then after a few years, most had moved on and the hardcore were left.

Clancy
03-22-2020, 05:35 AM

In hindsight yes, mighty foolish. But given what was known then, difficult for me to criticize. The promoter by all accounts is genuine, a truly warm and enthusiastic guy and I would venture he was very conflicted over the decision and probably is second guessing his decision even now - repeatedly. Let’s not forget, riders could have chosen not to participate.

It’s an extremely well done short little film. As far as being a slick Hollywood production, anyone now with a laptop can produce professional looking videos. I will admit incorporating “change” into a gravel race is a stretch, but as mentioned, the promoter seems to be an extremely emotional type.

I enjoyed it - thanks for posting.

R3awak3n
03-22-2020, 05:45 AM
edit

My calendar memory was a bit off and I was a week behind. I retract what I said. This happened the weekend after all the info was already there and a TON of stuff was already cancelled. I am with flashUNC. This should have 100% been cancelled and it was very poor judgment of organizers part. But people make mistakes so I think we should move on instead of crucifying the guy, he will learn from his mistake.

oldpotatoe
03-22-2020, 05:48 AM
Check this out.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B9_yOIrFWh4/?igshid=ewpr3wr36k68

How about a review for us luddites(yay Ned Ludd!) who aren't on instagram, et al...

KonaSS
03-22-2020, 05:50 AM
It definitely was a tough call to cancel or not cancel. But he certainly was pushing the envelope, not the bleeding edge of leadership shown here.

That being said, my view on this issue has changed drastically in the last week, so tough to criticize in hindsight.

One thing I think you can criticize, is that the promoter said that he would change things, observe social distancing as much as possible, no hugs, etc. He is all over those finishers on the footage and other videos that I have seen.

If interested, check the Groadio podcast, they cover this.

Dromen
03-22-2020, 06:16 AM
How about a review for us luddites(yay Ned Ludd!) who aren't on instagram, et al...I'm a Luddy too. Just clicked an it opened for me.

R3awak3n
03-22-2020, 06:40 AM
I'm a Luddy too. Just clicked an it opened for me.

yeah it should open fine even if you dont have instagram. Only thing that does not work for non signed up people is stories.