PDA

View Full Version : Who uses the grease port on Campy Record Hubs?

Spectrum Bob
05-13-2004, 09:23 AM
Who uses the grease port on Campy Record Hubs?

I am curious if anyone flushes the old grease out on record hubs through that little hole on the body of the hub?
If so what procedure do you use?
What type of grease gun do you use?
Are you better off disassembling the hub instead?

Ride safe,
Spectrum Bob

Andreu
05-13-2004, 09:28 AM
I have never used it nor have I had any problems with Campy record hubs.
They will might get a squoosh of grease when the wheels go in the LBS for their 15k mile check (but I cannot swear this happens nor do I ask because I always forget).
A

Marron
05-13-2004, 11:00 AM
I have used the grease ports on C-Record hubs and headset without any problems. The conventional wisdom is that you will end up slowing the action of the pawls to the extent that they will no longer engage the hub. That hasn't happened to me yet and if it does I would just disassemble and clean the hub.

I have been using Finish Line grease and a generic grease fitting. So far is seems to be working well. The periodic regreasing definitely flushes out a lot of contaminated grease.

Tony Edwards
05-13-2004, 11:32 AM
My understanding was that the hub-shell ports were actually intended, in the old days, to be used to drip very heavy (Phil Tenacious or similar) oil into the hubs for race day (which is one of the reasons I have never used them). Are they really meant for grease?

I would think either use could have negative results (since the oil would rinse out some bearing grease, and using grease through that port would result in, well, a LOT of grease inside the hub, and resulting drag).

froze
05-13-2004, 02:08 PM
Injecting grease into the hub via the port does not damage the hub or slow down the pawls in anyway...THATS WHAT IT'S THERE FOR! Those Record hubs have the potential to be very long lasting hubs if mine are any indication. I have Suntour Superbe hubs that have grease ports and about every 400-500 miles or if the bike gets wet, when I relube the chain I inject new grease into the hubs. The old grease oozes out of the sides of the hubs and you just let it ooz intil it runs clean. I'm a little fanatical about this up-keep since I believe the Record hubs recommend every 2,000 miles; but my hubs have over 140,000 miles and still roll like silk which is probably due to the clean grease thats always in there.

Needs Help
05-13-2004, 03:16 PM
...on an older Chorus 8 speed group, which also has the grease ports. I try to do it every winter, along with other maintenance. I use a Finish Line Grease Injector I think I purchased for around $25. It's very easy to do, and I've had no problems with the hubs--8 years and still going strong.

Spectrum Bob
05-14-2004, 07:35 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies.

Spectrum Bob

Jeff N.
05-15-2004, 02:03 AM
I dson't know anybody who uses them. I know I never have, with zero problems. All that grease would be heavy, don't you think? Jeff N.

Needs Help
05-15-2004, 03:21 AM
All that grease would be heavy, don't you think?

I assume they put grease in the hubs to start--they have bearings after all--and therefore it's a question of whether it's better to clean 'em out once in awhile.

rwl
05-15-2004, 08:57 AM
The instructions for the HPW hubs on the Eurus say to inject 'high quality' grease. There are two ports - one for the hub bearings, one for the cassette body, which you get to by removing the cassette, and its about in the middle of the body, along the side (I hope that's clear).

They don't specify, I think, a service interval.