PDA

View Full Version : Customs open???

ultraman6970
03-21-2020, 09:12 AM
Have to send something yo europe and the Customs office this thing will be sent to is NYC (JFK). NYC is pretty much in lock down with the exception of USPS, transportation and stuff. If the Customs agent think is dangerous for them to go to work then the stuff i want to send would be stuck in customs for months.

So, anybody knows if customs is open???? I can call monday but always good to ask insiders :P

THanks.

Velocipede
03-21-2020, 09:14 AM
Have to send something yo europe and the Customs office this thing will be sent to is NYC (JFK). NYC is pretty much in lock down with the exception of USPS, transportation and stuff. If the Customs agent think is dangerous for them to go to work then the stuff i want to send would be stuck in customs for months.

So, anybody knows if customs is open???? I can call monday but always good to ask insiders :P

THanks.

Customs is open. They may not be at full staff in your local office but they are considered 'Essential'. I know my local one is cycling people thru so they aren't fully staffed.

ultraman6970
03-21-2020, 09:20 AM
Thanks... went to the postal office yesterday, noticed the older people probably over 65 was not there at all (in my work they did the same), and the person in charge did not know 100% what could be happening at the customs side because international flights pretty much are down to zero plus the lock down in NYC could create a problem. Actually if i think this in another way packages could run faster now.

Velocipede
03-21-2020, 09:34 AM
Most of the international flights for customs is UPS, FedEx or DHL anyways. They've been packing those planes for a few years with USPS stuff. Now, USPS customs offices are different than the customs offices for the big 3 carriers. But I would be surprised if the USPS offices are closed. They are considered essential like the regular big 3 offices.

ultraman6970
03-21-2020, 09:46 AM
Will call monday to customs to find out or that box will stay here, non sense to send fedex hmm... wonder how much is using bike flights, will check it out but the issue is taxes over there... will check anyways.

tomato coupe
03-21-2020, 01:13 PM
You're shipping something from the U.S. to Europe? U.S. Customs won't be involved in this.

ultraman6970
03-21-2020, 03:13 PM
Yes, usa to europe.

Bruce K
03-21-2020, 03:17 PM
FAA shut JFK and all NYC airports due to staffing issues in ATC.

Good luck with your shipment.

BK

ultraman6970
03-21-2020, 03:26 PM
Darn.... good thing I did not go to the post office today.

Looks like the closing was temporarily, gonna have to call customs NYC to find out or that box wont leave my home till all of this looks better for everybody. IMagine the amount of cr@p that could be stuck in NYC waiting to be sent to destination after a month or 2.