PDA

View Full Version : Integrated Headsets?

Ti_on_Steel
03-21-2020, 08:20 AM
Hi All,

The headset in my Trek Domane SL6 (https://archive.trekbikes.com/us/en/2017/Trek/domane_sl_6#/us/en/2017/Trek/domane_sl_6/details)is getting pretty rough. This is my first bike with integrated headset.

Trek says the headset is: Integrated, cartridge bearing, sealed, 1-1/8" top, 1.5" bottom.

Will any headset of this size work? Any suggestions?

Thanks, and stay safe and distant out there!

Davist
03-21-2020, 08:29 AM
is it new? if not I bet there's some surface rust formed in there. Drop the forks, take it out, put some phil tenacious around the seals, work it in by spinning in your hands, should be good as new in a few minutes. Mine seized up/rusted solid after a rainy ride then hung up for a week, did this and came right back to perfect.

Mikej
03-21-2020, 08:43 AM
Those bearings suck, you can even get a King hs for that - called a dropset or something, cane creek has one too.

ultraman6970
03-21-2020, 09:08 AM
The bottom 1.5 there's only one spec from what i remember so you can get anything, it should fit. As for the top 1 1/8 im not a trek guy so no idea which specs are those (there's 2 specs). But if you measure the OD of the bearing you will find out what it is.

Velocipede
03-21-2020, 09:13 AM
Hi All,

The headset in my Trek Domane SL6 (https://archive.trekbikes.com/us/en/2017/Trek/domane_sl_6#/us/en/2017/Trek/domane_sl_6/details)is getting pretty rough. This is my first bike with integrated headset.

Trek says the headset is: Integrated, cartridge bearing, sealed, 1-1/8" top, 1.5" bottom.

Will any headset of this size work? Any suggestions?

Thanks, and stay safe and distant out there!

If the cups are removable, then you should be able to get a different headset for it. If it's just the bearings and the cups are part of the frame, Cane Creek offers their 110 Series bearings loose. So you could replace yours with US Made stainless steel ones that have a 110 year warranty on them. They are very very good bearings. I would suggest that option.

Also, most integrated headsets have a degree/angle number on them. 36 or 45. There should be 2. So 36x45 or 45x45. This is the angle of the outer taper that fits INTO the frame/headtube. The second number is the angle for the taper that hits the fork crown race. Check those to make sure you get the correct ones. If you don't the headset may not tighten properly and or you can cause premature wear on the head cups/crown race or even the carbon steerer tube.