PDA

View Full Version : OT: monitor, widescreen or no?

jwb96
01-12-2007, 04:47 PM
I'm going to upgrade my beautiful but small 17" CRT. Thinking 19", but trying to decide between widescreen or regular. I don't generally work on multiple documents or game, so it seems like the widescreen might not get me much, but wonder what you, obvious users of computers, use and like.

Thanks,
Jim

dauwhe
01-12-2007, 04:56 PM
Bigger is better... I like my Dell 2005FPW; but I wish it was bigger. I think widescreen is good no matter what...

Dave

Wayne77
01-12-2007, 05:02 PM
I just switched from a 17" CRT to a 19" widescreen - I like it much better. Keep in mind that a 19" widescreen usually won't be taller than a 17" CRT - since they measure diagonally you loose a little hieght for a given size of widescreen.

BoulderGeek
01-12-2007, 05:10 PM
I also have a Dell 2005FPW and several Sun 21" CRTs.

I'd go with a widescreen, and at least a 20" 1680x1050.

The Dell 24"s are lovely,and under $700 now. They make nice movie watching stations,too.

alembical
01-12-2007, 05:12 PM
For almost a week now, I have been using dual 19 inch LCD screens and loving it. I say the bigger the better.... <insert dirty comment here about my girlfriend feeling the same way> :banana:

alembical

JohnS
01-12-2007, 07:46 PM
I say the bigger the better.... <insert dirty comment here about my girlfriend feeling the same way> :banana:

alembical
She's lying! :p

Too Tall
01-12-2007, 08:00 PM
Funny coincidence...just got back from CompUSA and bought a 20" LCD for mom. Her eyesight is not great and this thing is FANTASTIC :) I asked about the widescreens and the tech rolled his eyes saying that all the mfg.s are going that route due to HiDef standards...but that really has no bearing if you don't watch videos in HiDef or play games in HiDef from what I understood and that is dubious eh wat? I spent $350 and it's d@mn nice. Infact I turned off the "accessibility" screen functions and she now views in regular "windowns large" mode. Nice :)

CNY rider
01-13-2007, 07:23 AM
Would definitely go 20 inches. Allows me to view a full sized text document or Word page, next to PowerPoint presentation, without compromising viewability or having to constantly click back and forth.

zap
01-13-2007, 09:40 AM
Go widescreen. 20" or bigger.

You might multitask in the future. Viewing investment accounts and the serotta forum on the same screen comes in handy.

gt6267a
01-13-2007, 10:34 AM
in the smaller sizes, widescreen is bad. the screen is not tall enough. in the larger sizes, 20+ inches, you get a tall enough screen and you have a bunch of extra space on the side.

now, what i just said sounds pretty dumb compared to people talking about pixels and blah blah blah. but guess what, if the screen is not tall enough, you can stuff all the pixels you want in there and it will still FEEL cramped.

that is right is right, i used an emotional word and applied it computers.

Serpico
01-13-2007, 10:35 AM
big monitor is where it's at. when I was younger I interned briefly at a publisher (this was almost 10 years ago)--everybody in the joint had 21" screens, even the copy editors. it was beautiful--and again, it was almost 10 years ago.

big screen and a lotta memory (at least 2 gigs). monitor is your user space--make it big.