PDA

View Full Version : Wahoo Elemnt Bolt not syncing to Strava (away from home)

smontanaro
03-19-2020, 01:24 PM
I live in Evanston IL. I am used to finishing a ride and having my Wahoo Elemnt Bolt immediately sync to Strava (less than a minute after stopping my workout on the phone). When I'm away from home (currently in Portland OR) that doesn't happen. In the past, when I've returned home, everything syncs. Even though I'm connected to the WiFi network here at my son's house (both my laptop and my Wahoo Elemnt Bolt), syncing still doesn't happen. I've power cycled my phone, turned location tracking off and back on (both suggested by the auto-reply help from Strava) with no change.

I know this is a first world problem, but am I going to have to wait until I get back home in several weeks for Wahoo/Strava syncing to resume?

cgolvin
03-19-2020, 01:28 PM
Are you using the Wahoo Element app? If so, what happens when you manually force the Strava upload (by selecting the ride, tapping on the upload link in the upper right, and selecting Strava)?

scoobydrew
03-19-2020, 01:44 PM
Had this issue yesterday (haven't tried today though). I ended up exporting the file to my computer within the Wahoo app. Just go into your ride history, select the ride, open up the options, select "Upload workout", and email it to yourself. Sounds like you have access to a laptop, so log into your Strava and upload the file that was sent to your email.

Are you using the Wahoo Element app? If so, what happens when you manually force the Strava upload (by selecting the ride, tapping on the upload link in the upper right, and selecting Strava)?

For me, nothing happens when you try selecting Strava. There's a little cloud icon with an up arrow next to it (possibly identifying that it's uploaded). FWIW I'm on an Android device.

cgolvin
03-19-2020, 01:54 PM
For me, nothing happens when you try selecting Strava. There's a little cloud icon with an up arrow next to it (possibly identifying that it's uploaded). FWIW I'm on an Android device.

I'm on iOS so it's possible that things are different, but in this case I doubt it.

The little cloud icon means that it has not uploaded to Strava, clicking on that icon will force the upload attempt, the result of which (if unsuccessful) will give you a clue about where the problem lies.

Old School
03-19-2020, 02:01 PM
I think you need to forget all of the existing networks on your phone, and then reconnect only your son's network.

This seems to do with the Elemnt "remembering" a network, while the phone is connected to a different network. It is complicated PITA, and I have not always been successful.

gngroup
03-19-2020, 02:50 PM
I’ve also had issues lately. The Bolt itself is not syncing to the App. Wahoo support wasn’t very helpful other than telling me to connect manually to my computer and upload it to Strava. They had zero comments on why it wasn’t syncing with the app. I did all the usual and updated software, unpaired and then repaired the Bolt and phone, etc. None of it worked.

Waldo62
03-19-2020, 03:05 PM
My Bolt stopped talking to Strava. I unpaired it, then re-paired it, still no go. I called Wahoo customer services and they talked me through the fix, which took 2 minutes. Both rides since then have uploaded to Strava issue-free.

glepore
03-19-2020, 05:18 PM
Same issue here. Also not seeing caller id or text notifications. Usually this happens after an ios update and I need to unpair the bolt, forget it in bluetooth and repair.

BobC
03-19-2020, 05:33 PM
Having the same issue. It was good Sunday. Tuesday & this evening, no joy.

BobC
03-19-2020, 05:34 PM
My Bolt stopped talking to Strava. I unpaired it, then re-paired it, still no go. I called Wahoo customer services and they talked me through the fix, which took 2 minutes. Both rides since then have uploaded to Strava issue-free.

What's the fix?

smontanaro
03-19-2020, 07:50 PM

Thanks. Tried that. The cloud icon doesn't respond to my finger press on my phone.

BobC
03-19-2020, 07:55 PM
Thanks. Tried that. The cloud icon doesn't respond to my finger press on my phone.

Same same. Even tried re-synching the ride. no joy.

Lewis Moon
03-19-2020, 08:07 PM
It looks like there is some bug. Happening with me too.

Old School
03-19-2020, 11:06 PM
Same same. Even tried re-synching the ride. no joy.

Same exact thing now happening to me. Wahoo Elemnt / Samsung 9

Previously, the little cloud never did much but when I refreshed strava, my ride was there. Now I can't upload just like O.P., and a few others now.

smontanaro
03-20-2020, 02:11 PM
Thanks. At least I'm not losing my mind (in this regard).

Edit: I submitted a request to Wahoo: https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-us/requests/704507

(Who knows if you'll be able to see it, but offer it as a reference for your own contacts if necessary.)

R3awak3n
03-20-2020, 02:37 PM
imagine if this was a garmin thread... how many people would have come here and said for you to get a wahoo :banana:

I am just playing of course, every system has bugs once in a while and they happen with updates. Wahoo seems to be great with those so this will probably get solved sooner than later.

Waldo62
03-20-2020, 03:03 PM
Thanks. At least I'm not losing my mind (in this regard).

Edit: I submitted a request to Wahoo: https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-us/requests/704507

(Who knows if you'll be able to see it, but offer it as a reference for your own contacts if necessary.)

Let us know how it gets fixed.

windsurfer
03-20-2020, 03:20 PM
Looks like I have the problem too.

Last 2 rides, no upload, no response to klicking the little cloud to force the upload

glepore
03-20-2020, 03:31 PM
Works for me now, but only if the app is open on the phone. Doesn't work in background as it used to.

windsurfer
03-20-2020, 03:41 PM
Emailed the files to myself, but have no clue how to manually upload. Samsung phone and tablet don't recognise. .fit files

Old School
03-20-2020, 04:38 PM
Emailed the files to myself, but have no clue how to manually upload. Samsung phone and tablet don't recognise. .fit files

Visit Strava "website". ( not with the app) Log in. in the far upper right you will see a plus sign. "Upload activity", which will be the .fit file you saved on your "desktop" from what you emailed yourself.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:: rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:: rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

ridiculous

BobC
03-20-2020, 07:05 PM
So here is my workaround:

I connected the Bolt to the phone prior to the ride (the bolt will show when it is connected). Phone went into the pocket, away I went. It automatically uploaded at the end of the ride with no issues

Similar to using a Mini (which I have used as well)

dpdan93
03-20-2020, 07:26 PM
My wahoo also no longer shows texts on the headunit even if it’s connected via the app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

windsurfer
03-20-2020, 08:01 PM
Visit Strava "website". ( not with the app) Log in. in the far upper right you will see a plus sign. "Upload activity", which will be the .fit file you saved on your "desktop" from what you emailed yourself.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:: rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:: rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

ridiculous

Thanks, that worked. Kind of a pita because it kept trying to help me link to the app

smontanaro
03-22-2020, 11:22 AM
I heard back from Wahoo:

I'm sorry you're having this upload error. There was a server issue last week with Strava that required a reauthorization in the app.

https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000495570-My-ELEMNT-workouts-are-no-longer-sharing-to-my-3rd-party-app

Please reach back out if you have any other questions or concerns.

windsurfer
03-22-2020, 01:25 PM
I heard back from Wahoo:

Worked for me, thank you.

Waldo62
03-23-2020, 12:20 PM
Currently, what works is finishing the ride on the Bolt, then opening the Wahoo app, clicking on History, and the ride uploads within 20 seconds into the Wahoo app, and then into Strava. Not ideal, not automatic as it was before, but good enough.

smontanaro
03-23-2020, 01:05 PM
Currently, what works is finishing the ride on the Bolt, then opening the Wahoo app, clicking on History, and the ride uploads within 20 seconds into the Wahoo app, and then into Strava. Not ideal, not automatic as it was before, but good enough.

Note that after deauthorizing Strava then reauthorizing it, automatic uploads worked again, as Wahoo support indicated it would.

Waldo62
03-23-2020, 02:10 PM
Note that after deauthorizing Strava then reauthorizing it, automatic uploads worked again, as Wahoo support indicated it would.

It worked that way initially after the reauthorization, then stopped, so I reverted to what I mentioned in my last post.