PDA

View Full Version : MTB geo advice sought

jimcav
03-19-2020, 12:56 PM
I've been hankering for a new (to me, as I plan to get a demo on sale) ride since getting my son a high tower in January (seems so long ago). Anyway, i've tried a large Ibis Ripmo and a large Evil Offering. Both are better than my current ride in many respects, and the Offering felt better in every way. The only other bike I want to try is a Revel Rascal.
The XL rascal on paper looks closer to the L Offering to me than the L Rascal. The offering is in the Low setting vs the x-Low. I have long arms and legs for my height, so think the XL Rascal may be the way to go. I'll have to drive a bit to find a demo. Anyone made a similar comparison or have advice?
https://www.evil-bikes.com/a/bikes/offering
https://www.revelbikes.com/our-bikes/rascal/

thank you
jim

Jaybee
03-19-2020, 01:12 PM
I size my MTB almost exclusively on reach, followed then by making sure I have enough seatpost extension for the dropper I want.

I agree that the XL Rascal seems like it might be a better match to the L Evil. They both seem like great bikes, and everyone's stuff is so good these days that it's kinda hard to go wrong with a modern mid-travel 29er.

scopes
03-19-2020, 01:33 PM
I own a Large Ripmo V1 and will say that unless it is set up quite stiff that it does not feel good - at all.. the fun, poppy, lively bike that I read all the reviews of was non existent.

The sag that Ibis recommends should be used, 14mm which gives 25% sag for trail ~17mm or 30% for more heavy enduro/gravity.

I found riding it at 18mm sag for trail was not great. Once I took the time to dial it to the mm, I was rewarded by a bike that fits its description.

I felt both the Ripmo and Offering were comparable with the Ripmo feeling like a more lively ride.

No experience with the revel though

JAGI410
03-19-2020, 03:36 PM
Those 3 bikes you mentioned all have different travel. What are you looking for? What type of riding do you want to do?

I'd throw the Ibis Ripley on the list too. It has less travel than the Revel and would make a great bike if the occasional XC race is desired.

I have a Ripmo AF (same geo as the Ripmo V2). Before this I had a Salsa Horsethief and Santa Cruz Tallboy. My travel keeps creeping up even though my trails and skills haven't really changed.

jimcav
03-19-2020, 11:30 PM
I size my MTB almost exclusively on reach, followed then by making sure I have enough seatpost extension for the dropper I want.

I agree that the XL Rascal seems like it might be a better match to the L Evil. They both seem like great bikes, and everyone's stuff is so good these days that it's kinda hard to go wrong with a modern mid-travel 29er.

I was of similar mind, and the minor reach diff I can mitigate with bar sweep if needed.

jimcav
03-19-2020, 11:37 PM
Those 3 bikes you mentioned all have different travel. What are you looking for? What type of riding do you want to do?

I'd throw the Ibis Ripley on the list too. It has less travel than the Revel and would make a great bike if the occasional XC race is desired.

I have a Ripmo AF (same geo as the Ripmo V2). Before this I had a Salsa Horsethief and Santa Cruz Tallboy. My travel keeps creeping up even though my trails and skills haven't really changed.

part of it is I am not going full retail. I agree the ripley was good, i sold that to get a following, then a yeti, now onto the next. All 3 I'm looking at have 140-160 fork. From my following experience, i expected the offering to ride above its travel, which for me is how it felt. I don't hit jumps, but do go down the steep, rocky, and rutted stuff and occasional 2-foot drops or step downs here in Socal

jimcav
03-19-2020, 11:38 PM
I own a Large Ripmo V1 and will say that unless it is set up quite stiff that it does not feel good - at all.. the fun, poppy, lively bike that I read all the reviews of was non existent.

The sag that Ibis recommends should be used, 14mm which gives 25% sag for trail ~17mm or 30% for more heavy enduro/gravity.

I found riding it at 18mm sag for trail was not great. Once I took the time to dial it to the mm, I was rewarded by a bike that fits its description.

I felt both the Ripmo and Offering were comparable with the Ripmo feeling like a more lively ride.

No experience with the revel though

thanks for that detail. I had the shop set it based on weight before getting it. Might have to go again...

juanj
03-20-2020, 07:15 AM
Have you ridden your son’s Hightower (if it fits)? The 2020 model is 150/140 and got a good review on Pink Bike.

jimcav
03-20-2020, 10:55 AM
Have you ridden your son’s Hightower (if it fits)? The 2020 model is 150/140 and got a good review on Pink Bike.

he is a size down, but i did ride it. it does not pedal as efficiently as my 3 previous bikes (yeti 4.5, following, ripley). My 3 picks are based upon what is reviewed as great climbing, but more capable travel than my current yeti; and that i can find on sale as demo bikes. Even on my 1st time on the offering i cleared sections I never did on the yeti, both up and down. Very confidence inspiring and at 50 years of age I value a bike that gets me out of trouble versus into trouble