PDA

View Full Version : Campy chain tool?

madsciencenow
03-18-2020, 09:55 PM
Where’s the best place to buy one of these? I need the UN-CN300 tool from campy for installing 10-12 speed campy chains, correct?

By best, I mean lowest price. I see bikeinn has them for $136. Anybody purchase from them, have one they want to sell or know of another source?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EliteVelo
03-19-2020, 05:26 AM
Where’s the best place to buy one of these? I need the UN-CN300 tool from campy for installing 10-12 speed campy chains, correct?

By best, I mean lowest price. I see bikeinn has them for $136. Anybody purchase from them, have one they want to sell or know of another source?

Consider the CT-4.3 Master Chain Tool with Peening Anvil from Park Tool. It's the one I use and you can purchase it for around $65

Dave
03-19-2020, 06:48 AM
I have the tool, bought late in 2008. It's seen some use, but not a lot. It works with 11 and 12 speed chains.

Since I prefer to remove my chains for an occasional cleaning, the tool is used to join the chain for the first time, but after that, I remove it and use a quick link after that. The wipperman connex is great, but I've used KMC and SRAM too.

With 12 speed, I'm using the SRAM eagle 12 link. Wipperman has a 12 speed chain and link, but I've not seen any for sale yet.

A cheap park chain tool will work to cut the chain to length, if you choose to skip the joining pin.

mcteague
03-19-2020, 06:56 AM
Consider the CT-4.3 Master Chain Tool with Peening Anvil from Park Tool. It's the one I use and you can purchase it for around $65

Search some reviews on the CT-4.3 before purchase. I saw a lot where people complained about broken pins. I bought one anyway and the pin broke the 2nd time I used it. YMMV.

Tim

herb5998
03-19-2020, 07:02 AM
I've got one, owned since 2009, works great, and yes, is compatible with up to 12S Campagnolo.

Although I don't need it, the Decade tool from Abbey looks really nice, and is compatible with 12S, Campagnolo and Shimano systems.

madsciencenow
03-19-2020, 07:24 AM
I saw the park tool and considered it but did note that it’s got mixed reviews.

I also noticed on WW that folks have used the quick links from KMC and other brands with mixed results. There seem to be examples of chains destroying drive chains when they come loose.

I don’t want to spend the money on the campy tool but it seems like the best approach all things considered.

cmbicycles
03-19-2020, 07:28 AM
Pedro's Tutto can be bought for $50-60 and works great on 11s, havent tried it with 12 but it's supposed to work fine. It has a setting for peening campy chain pins as well.

oldpotatoe
03-19-2020, 07:30 AM
I saw the park tool and considered it but did note that it’s got mixed reviews.

I also noticed on WW that folks have used the quick links from KMC and other brands with mixed results. There seem to be examples of chains destroying drive chains when they come loose.

I don’t want to spend the money on the campy tool but it seems like the best approach all things considered.

I agree..in the trenches, where we used chaintools all the time, a pedros, park tool went by the way side as I used the Campagnolo tools almost exclusively. I only used a Pedros tool if the chain was 8/9s....

zap
03-19-2020, 07:32 AM
Velomine is one of my Campy sources in the USA. I purchased my Campy chain tool from them. Texas Cycle Sport is another source.

madsciencenow
03-19-2020, 07:42 AM
Any experience with the Abbey decade tool? It looks pretty nice, has good reviews and does a few other chains for same price as Campy on sale.

pdonk
03-19-2020, 08:06 AM
Any experience with the Abbey decade tool? It looks pretty nice, has good reviews and does a few other chains for same price as Campy on sale.

I was going to suggest it.

If it is as nice as all of the other tools I have bought from them, I'd have no qualms buying it.

I almost did, but for the 2-3 times I need to cut a chain a year, was hard to justify the cost. For me it would be called the century tool.

veggieburger
03-19-2020, 08:32 AM
Doesn't the 10 speed need the USAG 140 pliers?

madsciencenow
03-19-2020, 08:53 AM
I know nothing about 10-speed.

I’m only into the 11; 12 speed stuff.

cgolvin
03-19-2020, 10:11 AM
Search some reviews on the CT-4.3 before purchase. I saw a lot where people complained about broken pins. I bought one anyway and the pin broke the 2nd time I used it. YMMV.

I was in the 'poor mileage' camp -- broke several pins, sold it on eBay. I use quick links so a basic chain tool is adequate for removing links. I too am curious about the Abbey tool since all their products have been excellent for me…but if I were going to commit to using the pin to close a new chain I'd commit to the Campy tool.

drgonzo
03-19-2020, 10:12 AM
Is a Campy specific tool needed for 10-12sp chains? I've used my old no name chain tool from the 90's on 10sp chains with no problems. Am I compromising the integrity of the chain by doing this?

madsciencenow
03-19-2020, 10:21 AM
I was in the 'poor mileage' camp -- broke several pins, sold it on eBay. I use quick links so a basic chain tool is adequate for removing links. I too am curious about the Abbey tool since all their products have been excellent for me…but if I were going to commit to using the pin to close a new chain I'd commit to the Campy tool.

This is essentially what Abbey told me.

Have you had challenges with the link? I’d prefer this but don’t want a chain going snap.

Dave
03-19-2020, 10:32 AM
You can't possibly install the current 10 speed joining pin with just any tool. The early version of the pin required another special tool (that I also have), but the current pin design shows the new style tool being used.

https://www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Support/assembly_and_removal_of_the_campagnolo_10s_chain

cgolvin
03-19-2020, 10:34 AM
Have you had challenges with the link? I’d prefer this but don’t want a chain going snap.

None. I've used a variety of brands for several years (KMC and YBN for 10 & 11 speed) and have never had an incident. I only have about 750 miles on my Chorus 12 speed group using a SRAM Eagle link, but it has worked well so far.

If I had a reliable tool I'd use the pin initially then switch to the link when I needed to do a deep clean, but I can't justify the expense of a good tool.

drgonzo
03-19-2020, 10:52 AM
You can't possibly install the current 10 speed joining pin with just any tool. The early version of the pin required another special tool (that I also have), but the current pin design shows the new style tool being used.

https://www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Support/assembly_and_removal_of_the_campagnolo_10s_chain

You can certainly do it, I've done it several times. All the tool does is push the pin through. Maybe I'm damaging things? Maybe this is ill advised? I don't know. But I can definitely say that I'm able to push the pin all the way in and the chain appears to be perfectly fine.

I can't tell from that video what the Campy tool is doing that is so special. It has that "spring" that seems to line things up a bit nicer, but other than that it just pushes the pin through.

I'd really like to know what I'm missing.

cmbicycles
03-19-2020, 10:58 AM
Doesn't the 10 speed need the USAG 140 pliers?Only if you use the funky campy 10 link with the two little push pins, a quick link is much easier. Slip joint or channel lock pliers work fine in lieu of the "proprietary" campy pliers too.

p nut
03-19-2020, 11:37 AM
For this non-pro mechanic who installs maybe 2 chains a year, if that, Pedros Tutto has worked great. $62 on Amazon now.

perdido2000
03-19-2020, 11:54 AM
I've used a Rohloff Revolver chain breaker for the past few years on Campagnolo 11s chains. A bit overkill for my needs but I don't expect to buy another chain tool ever.
It is adjustable for any chain width and can peen Campagnolo links.
It is very nicely made and at the time it was cheaper than the Campagnolo tool. Pedro's and Park tools were not easily available then.
It can be bought for about 115 euros from German sites.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200319/54e84b9d425ea54c65e92c7309b98ede.jpg

Enviado desde mi SM-A405FN mediante Tapatalk

Dave
03-19-2020, 11:58 AM
You can certainly do it, I've done it several times. All the tool does is push the pin through. Maybe I'm damaging things? Maybe this is ill advised? I don't know. But I can definitely say that I'm able to push the pin all the way in and the chain appears to be perfectly fine.

I can't tell from that video what the Campy tool is doing that is so special. It has that "spring" that seems to line things up a bit nicer, but other than that it just pushes the pin through.

I'd really like to know what I'm missing.

You must peen the end of the pin! Never read the instructions? It's a miracle that your chains never failed.