PDA

View Full Version : Rene Herse Cycles now selling FMB tubulars

fiamme red
03-18-2020, 09:20 AM
I did not ever expect Jan Heine to offer tubulars.

https://www.renehersecycles.com/fmb-tubulars/

FMB tires haven’t been available in North America for a while. Now we are excited to announce that Rene Herse Cycles is now the exclusive North American distributor for FMB tubulars. We have a large selection in stock, from the ultra-light 23 mm Performance TT (280 g) to the 30 mm-wide Paris-Roubaix that has been ridden to countless victories on the cobblestones of the Spring Classics.

We also offer FMB’s fabled cyclocross tubulars...https://www.renehersecycles.com/product-category/components/tires/tubular/

sw3759
03-18-2020, 08:27 PM
$170 hand made silk tubulars.a bit too steep for me but me gotta admit would love to try a set.
makes think back to those wonderful big fat Campionato del Mondos..:beer:

Pastashop
03-18-2020, 10:24 PM
No doubt lovely, premium product. Also helps that it’s a tire that’s even more expensive than the already-premium Compass / Rene Herse clincher tires. This can help boost sales of the latter in comparison.

A textbook example: Microwave oven A: $100, Microwave oven B: $200; some will buy B, but most will buy A. Introduce Microwave oven C: $400; now a lot more people buy B.

Mind you, I’m not knocking the product... this can be a win-win-win situation — the consumer gets the scarce and ultra-premium tire, the supplier has one more outlet among aficionados, and the distributor gets a cut and boosted sales of the other products. Lord knows we could use more business growth in the coming months!!

FlashUNC
03-18-2020, 10:42 PM
Beautiful tires, ride great, fall apart way too easily with QC all over the place.

denapista
03-18-2020, 11:13 PM
FMB Tubulars are some of the best riding tires ever. Stare at them and the tread starts to go away..

I rode a set and went through the tread in a few rides...

oldpotatoe
03-19-2020, 05:35 AM
Beautiful tires, ride great, fall apart way too easily with QC all over the place.

Agree, unless the way these are made, like Dugast also, have changed, the base tape comes off way too easily..Store sold these for a while, and the peeling basetape is almost inevitable. In the shop, we had 4 of them, because of their YUGE $, just hung there and all 4 saw the edges of the base tape peeling off..'return'? Sorry Charlie..

dogrange
03-19-2020, 06:24 AM
Yes, I went through a phase of using these a few years ago. went through about 3 sets, service course and 2x Paris Roubaix. Ride great, really nice, but the tread came off all of them in just a few weeks/months of use and defied my attempts to reglue. Too bad . .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockdude
03-19-2020, 07:33 AM
For CX racing, FMB's are by far the best money can buy.

sparky33
03-19-2020, 10:37 AM
Sounds like I need a set of 700x30 for the FSE wheels on my new Built. I was planning to mount Vittoria Corsa Control 30s, but...

silk or cotton?
These would be very special day tires.

AJosiahK
03-19-2020, 10:43 AM
super into it. just not into how $$ they are.

id lean towards cotton for more durability probs?

sparky33
03-19-2020, 10:43 AM

It makes sense to me.
RH sells premium supple tires. I use tubeless RH tires on a couple bikes and tubs on my road bike. Excited to experiment with FMB@RH. Maybe others are similar.

Dead Man
03-19-2020, 10:58 AM

yup.

i bought a lot of new fmb paris-roubaixs from (i think?) a paceliner a few years ago, to glue to a set of neoretro ultralight wheels id built from Gel280 rims on 9000 hubs

suffice to say it was an expensive and very shortly enjoyed experience... both the tires and the wheels absolutely fell apart, but not till id done a few races. not sure if they made me FASTER, but they sure were sweet to ride and i felt fast as ****

glad i did it; wont do it again

witcombusa
03-19-2020, 11:08 AM

If there is money to be made Jan will take it.

fiamme red
03-19-2020, 11:11 AM
If there is money to be made Jan will take it.That's a very cynical view. Jan only sells products that he believes in. As he writes in his blog, he races cyclocross on FMB tubulars: "My FMB tubulars are one big reason why I love cyclocross. The feel of relatively narrow and yet incredibly supple tires rolling over soft surfaces is intoxicating. There is little that compares to it."

sparky33
03-19-2020, 11:29 AM
I went with 700x30 cotton!

Hindmost
03-19-2020, 11:30 AM
Gel280 rims on 9000 hubs...a few races...

You raced on 280's??? Unheard-of.

Mike V
03-19-2020, 11:49 AM
I think one of Paceline sponsors has been carrying them. Velocipede has them on his page. No prices though.

Dead Man
03-19-2020, 11:52 AM
You raced on 280's??? Unheard-of.

28 hole, too

each rim and tire lasted like 1-2 races before tread would peel or eyelets would crack.. was kind of an ordeal.

8eh3iub
03-19-2020, 12:05 PM
Hm, small sample size but in my experience FMB cross tires (Slaloms and Super Muds) generally hold up for 2 seasons on moderate/heavy use. Several friends have had similar experience over the past decade or so. Smaller/lighter friends seem to get 3 in before things go pear shaped.

Like any handmade tire (eg Dugast) delamination sometimes happens but maybe once in a dozen tires - reglued with carpet glue and it held fine for another ten races or so.

The fact that the tread is never glued on perfectly straight seems more a feature than a bug.

Dead Man
03-19-2020, 12:16 PM
i had other problems with the tires than just tread pulling off - which was easily fixed just gluing em back on. of the 5 i bought, one just plain wouldnt hold air, and sealant not only didnt fix it but actually bonded the inner tube to itself

one got a leak around the valve stem

couple had tread come off

i feel like the basetape might have peeled off one, but dont quite recall

i did buy them second hand, not from a dealer... so if theres some additional history/story to that lot i dont know it. i def got the impression at the time that others had similar experiences, maybe just a little extra bad luck w mine but nothing shocking

Hindmost
03-19-2020, 02:30 PM
28 hole, too

each rim and tire lasted like 1-2 races before tread would peel or eyelets would crack.. was kind of an ordeal.

Shame about the tires. I could see running those wheels in a time trial if the rider was the right weight with the right pedaling style. But then the last time I rode a time trial we were in toe clips.

happycampyer
03-19-2020, 07:53 PM
$170 hand made silk tubulars.a bit too steep for me but me gotta admit would love to try a set.
makes think back to those wonderful big fat Campionato del Mondos..:beer:They’ve gone way up in price since I got these 10 years ago. Bike, wheels and tires are long gone, but I remember the ride to be “silky” smooth (pun intended). If you like supple tires, they’re about as supple as a tire can get. Makes sense that RH carries them. A nice experience, but for me personally I can’t justify the premium over Veloflexes.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-H556pM3/0/74430631/XL/i-H556pM3-XL.jpg

marciero
03-20-2020, 03:41 AM
They’ve gone way up in price since I got these 10 years ago. Bike, wheels and tires are long gone, but I remember the ride to be “silky” smooth (pun intended). If you like supple tires, they’re about as supple as a tire can get. Makes sense that RH carries them. A nice experience, but for me personally I can’t justify the premium over Veloflexes.

I think so, from a brand perspective- the whole "supple" thing, plus the emphasis on performance, which is a huge part of the brand; perhaps the over-arching hallmark.

Blown Reek
03-20-2020, 06:20 AM
With the strength of the Dollar right now, you can get FMB Service Course tubulars from Europe for about $55 each right now. Govern yourself accordingly.

redir
03-20-2020, 07:07 AM
Yup they have base tape issues. I also found them too delicate for cyclocross. One bump on a rock to the sidewall and it's done. Of course it's the sidewalls that make the ride so plush but I stopped using them for cross. The Paris Roubaix road tires are unreal though pure subtle plush delight on the road.

fiamme red
03-20-2020, 09:02 AM
Sounds like I need a set of 700x30 for the FSE wheels on my new Built. I was planning to mount Vittoria Corsa Control 30s, but...

silk or cotton?
These would be very special day tires.Lennard Zinn on silk vs. cotton: https://www.velonews.com/2017/06/gear/technical-faq-benefits-silk-tubulars_441147.

2000m2
10-14-2021, 03:31 PM
How do the FMB tubulars measure once mounted vs. their stated size?
Also, what are the preferred tires for “spirited” road group rides? Some of their road tires lack any description on the website. I am looking at the Paris-Roubaix or Service Course in cotton 25c, but open to suggestions. Maybe the KOPPENBERG 26c? The only tires I've purchased recently are Veloflex 28c and it seems most folks compare the FMB products to Veloflex.

sparky33
10-14-2021, 06:08 PM
My FMB 30 cotton tubs measure a hair under 30mm.

2000m2
10-14-2021, 10:54 PM
My FMB 30 cotton tubs measure a hair under 30mm.

Which FMB’s are you using?

sparky33
10-15-2021, 05:23 AM
Which FMB’s are you using?

https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop/components/tires/tubular/fmb-paris-roubaix-tubular/