PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Ultra Torque crank from one frame to another - Las Vegas

glassfan
03-17-2020, 04:56 PM
I'm seeking a cyclist in the Las Vegas area that has Campagnolo Ultra Torque BB tools (including a torque wrench capable of 55 ft-lbs for the fixing bolt) so that I can transfer a crank from one frame to another. I have these tools, but they are still in Florida as I have recently moved to the Las Vegas area. Would rather do it myself than take it to a shop. Are there any shops in the LV area that know anything about Campy????

robt57
03-17-2020, 05:03 PM
I thought it was 31 ft Lbs ?? Or is that for Ti Cult SR?

YesNdeed
03-17-2020, 05:25 PM
If you don't need to transfer BB cups from one frame to another, the long end of a 10mm hex key and vice grips is all you need for Ultra Torque. I have never used a torque wrench for tightening the fixing bolt.

If you do have to change BB cups, any LBS should do.

robt57
03-17-2020, 05:40 PM
Make sure if your bolts is not reverse thread. I know a few of my SR ones are reverse to the Athena and Chorus one I have. Another Ti/Cult thing perhaps...

cgolvin
03-17-2020, 05:57 PM
I believe that the upper torque range for the fixing bolt is ~55 Newton Meters, so 55 ft-lbs would be way too much. Also, I think it's only the Super Record bolt that is reverse threaded, at least for 12 speed.

To the original question, sounds like the only Campy-specific tool you need is the BB cup tool; for the fixing bolt it's just a long hex key. I know jack about shops in Vegas, but in the worst case you could just buy an UT tool and ask to use the shop's torque wrench. Think of it as building a relationship with the shop that will be your backup.

Edit/P.S. Welcome to the forum.

Mark McM
03-17-2020, 06:27 PM
And you may not need a Campy specific BB cup tool either, as most 16 notch external bearing cup tools work fine for Campagnolo Ultra Torque cups.

ultraman6970
03-17-2020, 07:15 PM
Ocd

oldpotatoe
03-18-2020, 05:22 AM
If you don't need to transfer BB cups from one frame to another, the long end of a 10mm hex key and vice grips is all you need for Ultra Torque. I have never used a torque wrench for tightening the fixing bolt.

If you do have to change BB cups, any LBS should do.

Vice grips?
But, bolt out(Later SR was a left threaded to bolt, 11s), LH crank arm off, pop off clip on RH cup, RH crank arm off...
Lotsa grease in receiving cups, RH crank in, clip on, grease on hirth teeth, LH crank arm in, grease on bolt, bolt in, tighten with long 10mm Allen.

Cups use just about any external bearing cup tool.

homagesilkhope
03-18-2020, 06:13 AM
Vice grips?

I asked myself the same question when I saw that. I expect he's using those to grab the stubby end of his 10mm hex. Think I'd go for a 10mm open-end wrench instead, but maybe a question of leverage??

teleguy57
03-18-2020, 07:17 AM
Vice grips?
But, bolt out(Later SR was a left threaded to bolt, 11s), LH crank arm off, pop off clip on RH cup, RH crank arm off...
Lotsa grease in receiving cups, RH crank in, clip on, grease on hirth teeth, LH crank arm in, grease on bolt, bolt in, tighten with long 10mm Allen.

Cups use just about any external bearing cup tool.

As always, OP is spot on. SR is the only one with a LH thread on the fixing bolt.

And pay attention to the clip! (don't ask how I know...)

glassfan
03-18-2020, 10:36 AM
Thanks for your replies. I meant to say 55 N-m instead of ft-lbs. I do all my own mechanical work, but my major tools are still in Florida. I could fly a roundtrip there for $45 now, LOL! It is a Super Record Ultra Torque crank with the reverse threaded Ti fixing bolt (the good looking crank before their new uglier design). I'm transferring it from a Serotta frameset to a Marinoni Columbus MAX frameset. The Serotta is English threaded while the Marinoni is Italian threaded (even though the frame was made in Canada), so I have to use new cups.

bigbill
03-18-2020, 12:09 PM
I know a guy in Kingman that does his own wrenching on Campy and has four bikes with UT plus two sets of cups (Eng, Ita). I don't have a specific torque wrench but use a 3/8" drive allen socket and a extension to snug it all up.

gbcoupe
03-18-2020, 03:29 PM
Thanks for your replies. I meant to say 55 N-m instead of ft-lbs. I do all my own mechanical work, but my major tools are still in Florida. I could fly a roundtrip there for $45 now, LOL! It is a Super Record Ultra Torque crank with the reverse threaded Ti fixing bolt (the good looking crank before their new uglier design). I'm transferring it from a Serotta frameset to a Marinoni Columbus MAX frameset. The Serotta is English threaded while the Marinoni is Italian threaded (even though the frame was made in Canada), so I have to use new cups.

Pics of that Marinoni when you can please. Otherwise you might risk a site ban and have to sell for a considerable loss to be reinstated. Mods?

Seriously, Welcome and Campy cups are cheap and for $45 round trip to FL (during normal circumstances) would be my choice. Reno will have shops that could help. Not sure about Vegas.

bigbill
03-18-2020, 05:01 PM
I'll look when I get home, but I'm pretty sure I've got a set of Record Ayetalian threaded cups. Pop the seal out to make it Super Record. I'm about 90 minutes south of Vegas, at least that's how long it takes me to drive to McCarran.

YesNdeed
03-18-2020, 06:01 PM
I asked myself the same question when I saw that. I expect he's using those to grab the stubby end of his 10mm hex. Think I'd go for a 10mm open-end wrench instead, but maybe a question of leverage??

Correct! And an open ended wrench would be much preferable. But I do in fact have the Campy UT tool on hand and use that.

bigbill
03-18-2020, 06:59 PM
I checked, I've got a set of Record IT cups, NIB.

oldpotatoe
03-19-2020, 05:58 AM

Ah, the 'far superior Italian threaded' BB, HUZZAH!!
:)
But make sure the frame is prepped(BB shell faces and chased), lotsa grease in BB shell and inside cups, teflon tape on the RH BB cup..install TIGHT!
Pop the seal out to make it Super Record

NO..keep it in as it's a 'seal' and keeps crud outta the bearings..yo...

bigbill
03-19-2020, 10:37 AM
Ah, the 'far superior Italian threaded' BB, HUZZAH!!
:)
But make sure the frame is prepped(BB shell faces and chased), lotsa grease in BB shell and inside cups, teflon tape on the RH BB cup..install TIGHT!

NO..keep it in as it's a 'seal' and keeps crud outta the bearings..yo...

I thought the SR stuff didn't need a seal because it's the magical ceramic. All my UT cranksets are steel Chorus bearings at this point. I have two sets in my parts tub along with both flavors of cups, a wavy washer, and one of those clips.