PDA

View Full Version : steel balls

eddief
03-16-2020, 07:55 PM
after a zillion miles of cycling, i never knew how these fundamental parts were made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19duYMdiXi0

steamer
03-16-2020, 08:26 PM
The process of making the balls raw looks brutal.

marciero
03-17-2020, 03:58 AM
That is an intense process. Those machines... and the final result is absolutely beautiful. And a UN 55 bottom bracket is like $14. Pretty amazing. I guess it's about volume. Once you have the tooling you pump them out.

KJMUNC
03-17-2020, 08:35 AM
Fantastic video, thanks for sharing!

As someone who spends their professional life in/around manufacturing this video is a great way to show kids/others all the various facets of the trade. It's not just the end product, but the raw material, the specific machines used in each process, the lubricants, the various inspection technologies (AI-enabled video and even audio have replaced everything manual in this video), etc.

This video was probably shot in Asia, but there are still a ton of bearing manufacturing plants in the US making all sizes, shapes, materials that we use throughout life that typically go completely unnoticed.

weiwentg
03-17-2020, 08:55 AM

This video was probably shot in Asia, but there are still a ton of bearing manufacturing plants in the US making all sizes, shapes, materials that we use throughout life that typically go completely unnoticed.

If you check the YT channel, it’s a Japanese channel. The English subtitles are pretty good, but something about the sentence construction made me think that it was distinctively Japanese. as if it were Engrish, but grammatical and properly spelled.

old_fat_and_slow
03-17-2020, 09:15 AM
Steel balls are so 1990's ! Get on the ceramic ball bandwagon or get the hell outta the way !!! :):rolleyes:

CO_Hoya
03-17-2020, 09:28 AM
This was an enjoyable watch.

Thanks.

mnoble485
03-17-2020, 10:59 AM
Like many, I am self isolating. Thanks for the 15 minute break from the “news”. I have always been in awe of the machines that make things and the people that design the whole process.

Mike

dustyrider
03-17-2020, 02:26 PM
I thought of this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyrlEE9AV58) video as soon as I saw the thread title...:p