PDA

View Full Version : Protective tape for a frame

itsflantastic
03-16-2020, 10:32 AM
I just noticed that the cable housing on my bike is scratching the head tube. I was wondering if any one had some suggestions. I saw 3M helicopter tape but I don't want to pay over $20 for 1 piece of tape. . .

Is there a cheaper alternative? Packing tape work or would that damage the finish even more? or anyone willing to sell me just 1 piece? :D

For that matter, any tips on removing the scratches from the clearcoat would also be appreciated.

Clean39T
03-16-2020, 10:55 AM
I bought a roll of 3M a couple years ago and haven't run out. Don't use packing tape. Electrician tape is a decent stand-in until you can get the right thing. Jagwire has little rubber donuts that work too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

pdonk
03-16-2020, 11:04 AM
Velocolour does a series of full frame packages.

https://www.velocolour.com/shop/paint-and-surface-protection-film

Thinking about it for my bike, when I recable.

steelbikerider
03-16-2020, 11:45 AM
Get some clear headlight repair tape. I use it for cable rub, chainstay protection and even run a strip on the downtube to protect from scratches from road debris. It is flexible enough to go around curves and the adhesive doesn't seep around the edges like electical tape.

Try O'rielly's or Auto Zone - $6-8 per 10' role

BobbyJones
03-16-2020, 11:54 AM
Poke around crankskins.com (https://crankskins.myshopify.com/collections/all)

I've always gotten extras with my order and the leftover precut pieces always find a use on one of the bikes.

For the scratches, try Meguiars Ultimate Compound (its car stuff)

weaponsgrade
03-16-2020, 01:17 PM
ISC Racertape is $20 for a big roll. That's what I've been using. Unfortunately, the Dakine Hot Laps tube/tool bag I have strapped to my frame slipped down to an unprotected area of the frame during a particularly rainy and wet ride this past weekend. I think all spraying grit and wet just loosened everything up and the bag was just swinging around. It acted like a sander on my frame. At least it was just small spot underneath the bottom bracket. Bummer b/c up until that ride, the bag had performed admirably. I'm trying to think of it as patina.

Hindmost
03-16-2020, 01:41 PM
I found a clear Gorilla tape at the hardware store. Works pretty good

paredown
03-16-2020, 02:49 PM
Generically "helicopter tape" or racer tape on Amazon.

eddief
03-16-2020, 02:58 PM
is good. he sent me a sample but i have not had a chance to give it a try. seems like it should work but no info on how to remove if need be. blame him if it takes your paint off :).

https://www.tognar.com/ski-snowboard-skuff-saver-tape-sold-per-foot/

alfordjo
03-16-2020, 03:28 PM
I bought 4/5 feet of this a couple of years back. Use it for chainstay and whatever else on my bike.

I still have plenty left. Seems like a one time purchase and it lasts a while.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/3m_09-01633-1.php

You can probably search around to get a better price.

CAAD
03-16-2020, 04:14 PM
I got some 3M clear film off amazon. It was like $10 for a couple of sq. ft. Thick enough to add protection.

hellvetica
03-16-2020, 04:27 PM
+1 on Gorilla Tape

NateM
03-16-2020, 04:32 PM
Send me a pm with your address and I will put a few dots or rectangles in the mail

eBAUMANN
03-16-2020, 11:23 PM
DO NOT USE CLEAR GORILLA TAPE
It does not age well and it will be an absolute mess to remove

The dumbass I briefly worked for put it all over his rental bikes, it looks HORRIBLE if it even gets damaged a little, let alone a lot.

There are better options.

teleguy57
03-17-2020, 07:24 AM
Most tapes have a gloss finish, so for matte paint or brushed/peened ti you can have it look funky. I bought this Laminix tape from AZ (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B079LR76JV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)and am very pleased with it.

FYI it comes with a spray for mounting so buying the kit is best and easy to share with others. I can send out some pieces for those who can't afford a roll or don't have others with whom they can share a purchase. YOu do need to mount wet and carefully work out the bubbles -- especially important given the matte finish. I think the spray is some alcohol mix as best I can tell; I bet Windex etc would also work. Kit also comes with a hard plastic squeegee thing. PM me if interested; I'll let you know if I can get you in the queue.

Mikej
03-17-2020, 07:37 AM
3M clear bra from Amazon.

Black Dog
03-17-2020, 07:42 AM
I found a clear Gorilla tape at the hardware store. Works pretty good

Generically "helicopter tape" or racer tape on Amazon.

Both of these are good options.

speedevil
03-17-2020, 09:02 AM
Go to your local shop that applies paint film to car bumpers. There will be scrap where the proper shape is cut from the roll. Ask for some scraps, maybe offer a 6-pack in exchange.

I have scraps from 3M paint film that was applied to my Corvette. The scraps will last me a very long time. It doesn't yellow, protects the paint very well, and can easily be peeled off and replaced if need be.

Overshot
03-17-2020, 06:33 PM
I’ve used the helicopter tape off Amazon with great results. A heat gun, rounded corners, and windex are key to getting a perfect tape job. Well worth the time in my opinion on a new frame, or one you want to keep nice when ridden hard.