PDA

View Full Version : OT: How have you been impacted by the coronavirus crisis?

Pages : [1] 2

Keith A
03-16-2020, 07:45 AM
I know we already have a discussion on the coronavirus, but I would like to know how you and your family have been impacted by this crisis?

I think most of us have experienced empty shelves, loss of value for our investments, and school closures. In what other ways have you been affected?

A few for me:
• Company sales have taken a hit. We are in the CAD/CAM industry.
• Our church has stopped all meetings.
• A health clinic my wife has been going to has closed for now.

Hilltopperny
03-16-2020, 07:52 AM
The one client I was working for over the past year and a half had to call the project quits this week due to financial loss. My wife who is a teacher and pregnant has school closing for the time being and we are a bit nervous about visits to the Dr. at this stage. My siblings are very distraught and seem to think that I am under reacting and it is causing me quite a bit of stress.

All these things aside I am still optimistic that we will all get through this. Financial losses are terrible, but it’s probably time as a society to be less consumeristic and more self sufficient anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bruce K
03-16-2020, 08:18 AM
School is closed until at least early April - we will be planning online learning for later this week by Wednesday. Our kids all are supposed to have Chromebooks but there will be opportunities for smartphone and paper packet pickup as well.

Expecting cancellation or some other modification/rescheduling of statewide testing.

We are staying home and avoiding all scheduled events except for doctor appointments and necessary shopping items.

Going to the bank to get a small amount of cash as we plan to support some local restaurants who have been mandated to do take-out or delivery only by the Commonwealth of MA. These locals need our help to survive and while it won’t be every night, once or twice per week seems worth a try.

After that, I will dust off the trainer, do household cleanups and chores, and basically hang out with my wife.

BK

p nut
03-16-2020, 08:26 AM
Work is going forward as normal, for now. We’re just bracing for whatever may come up.

Church has cancelled all meetings and other activities (LDS)

Worst is the school closure. Chrome book check out today. Hoping they have a decent curriculum set up.. My wife (and other parents) have it the worst. Especially those that both work or are single parents. Heart goes out to them.

bthornt
03-16-2020, 08:35 AM
I was planning on retiring this year, but my 403b plan (401k for certain professions, such as professor) has really gone down. This is in spite of a middle of the road allocation of funds, basically 50/50 equities and fixed income assets. The same is true about my Roth IRAs. So, I just signed my contract today to teach for another year. That's life, I guess.

cmbicycles
03-16-2020, 08:38 AM
The school district I work for is closed officially for 2 weeks, though I am guessing that will be extended. Teachers are still going in doing food distribution for students, as it's a low income area. My wife is a massage therapist and her work is currently still open, though understandably has barely any appointments. My kids are homeschooled, though they take a lot of classes at a co-op that has just switched to online instruction.

Otherwise, churches around here cancelled services, though still otherwise open and available to people. Lots of other appointments and things closed. Lots of projects are going to take place at home I think. Since there is TP hoarding, maybe installing a bidet seat. ;)

exapkib
03-16-2020, 08:43 AM
School cancelled.

Church cancelled (also LDS).

We live in an older neighborhood in our town. Literally 80% of our neighbors are in the high-risk category. The extra stress of not introducing the virus to this neighborhood is really, and compounded by the fact that we are so used to helping our elderly neighbors and bring involved in their lives. It's a tricky balance to maintain.

Classes on campus cancelled. We are expected to begin conducting classes online this Wednesday, which is daunting for those of us in more practice-based fields that have not traditionally transferred well into a virtual environment (what does an online first-year language class look like?).

Our entire life this past year has been built around preparing to lead a lengthy study abroad program in the Middle East in the second half of this year. Our start date is far enough away that they haven't cancelled yet, but no one is very motivated to help make arrangements for future programs either. Managing the uncertainty of the students is one of the hardest things--a group of 50+ students, each of them asking be questions every day.

So much uncertainty right now.

C40_guy
03-16-2020, 08:45 AM
I think most of us have experienced empty shelves, loss of value for our investments, and school closures.

Important note -- the loss of investment value is mostly psychological. The actual value loss is only realized if you have to sell or liquidate investments. If you do not touch your investments, a year from now they may be worth more than they were in January of this year.

So...unless you have immediate short term cash needs, don't touch your investments. The worst thing you can do, financially, is to sell your holdings now. Just sit tight.

C40_guy
03-16-2020, 08:48 AM
I'm in the middle of a job search.

Should know tomorrow whether my best opportunity is moving forward with their process...but that's day-to-day.

And my job involves a lot of face-to-face meetings with groups of sales people, so...

joosttx
03-16-2020, 08:48 AM
No school. I have become a home schooler. Class starts in about 20 minutes. I lost a ton of money in the market. My wife works from home now. I’m cooking all the meals. I still plan to MTB.

Blue Jays
03-16-2020, 08:51 AM
* Work from home. Customer visits forbidden. All videoconference.
* My morning ritual of stopping for coffee has been temporarily halted.
* Cycling club cancelled big group events. Maybe 3-4 of us ride...and FAR apart.
* No shows, seeing bands, meals out, concerts, lectures, or anything similar.
* Must reconsider things like haircuts and other typical errands.

Elefantino
Daughter's wedding, scheduled for 6/6, postponed until 5/29/21. My future son-in-law is in a PhD program so it has to be when school's out.

Grr.

dbnm
My kids are home at least until April 6.

Can't go anywhere.

I work for a company that requires human contact and experience.

And well, the investments are not doing so well.

But...

I'M HAPPY TO BE ALIVE!

Spaghetti Legs
03-16-2020, 08:52 AM
I was planning on retiring this year, but my 403b plan (401k for certain professions, such as professor) has really gone down. This is in spite of a middle of the road allocation of funds, basically 50/50 equities and fixed income assets. The same is true about my Roth IRAs. So, I just signed my contract today to teach for another year. That's life, I guess.

That is lousy timing. I’ve been worried that the inflated market would take another 5-6 years to pop and affect my potential retirement. I hope the next year gets you where you need to be.

On a lighter but still sad note, I’m sorry to see the rug pulled out from the finale to FSU’s historic basketball season. OTOH, I’m a Duke fan and I think this saved me the pain of a sweet sixteen heartbreak.

mistermo
03-16-2020, 08:53 AM
We source our 'products' from Wuhan China. Our supply chain closed nearly two months ago. Hiring freeze, etc. Our customers, research labs, often in universities, are also shutting.

Rather than focus on the negative, I see it as an opportunity to reconnect with people. Though I've never done much online 'connecting', this represents an opportunity to get into that. Imagine this in the days before tech...we'd be way more misinformed and way more isolated. Information is a good thing, though it sometimes doesn't seem that way.

I'm former LDS. One thing I've always admired about LDS is their emergency preparedness. I'm using this as a reminder and opportunity to get my emergency preparedness house in order, though I'm not buying bottled water or toilet paper. I'm puzzled by those who believe that's their safety net. Maybe we should start a emergency prep thread.

bthornt
03-16-2020, 08:56 AM
That is lousy timing. I’ve been worried that the inflated market would take another 5-6 years to pop and affect my potential retirement. I hope the next year gets you where you need to be.

On a lighter but still sad note, I’m sorry to see the rug pulled out from the finale to FSU’s historic basketball season. OTOH, I’m a Duke fan and I think this saved me the pain of a sweet sixteen heartbreak.

Much thanks, my friend. I am on phased retirement anyway, so I just have one class to teach in the fall. Still, I would rather be fully retired.

Now, if I had an awesome Gios like you, that would take a lot of the pain away.

Spdntrxi
03-16-2020, 09:02 AM
No School..
Wife works from home, but I still need to go in.
Eating out greatly reduced
Not happy about the the hoarding at all.

loxx0050
03-16-2020, 09:21 AM
Schools in my state are cancelled starting this Wednesday (18-Mar) through the 27th. K-12 public schools I mean since it was the governor's decision. Because of that now my daycare will be closed as a result (smaller home daycare and now her kids are going to be not going to school).

My work is starting to implement a work from home if you are able. I am able but probably will have to go into the office a couple of days a week. Stayed home today because I've got a cold going on and it showed a bit this morning trying to do a ftp ramp test on Trainerroad (barely managed to hit my previous ftp test number by 1w short from 4 weeks ago despite being in the middle of the build plan 1/2 through). Was feeling strong going into the active recovery week too but oh well, I will manually bump it up for the next training block and hope my cold doesn't get worse (no fever and slight congestion is what I've got...so far no breathing issues as long as I don't have too much mucus).

What I'm worried about is I potentially have to postpone my vacation planned for end of April. Not too worried about the airfare being able to change that. Worried about the hotel I prepaid and so far their COVID-19 policy only covers travel from now through April 12 or so. So I might have to claim my travel insurance I bought when I booked the trip for that portion but we'll see (way before the outbreak supposedly started in Wuhan late last year). I've held off on booking activities for my vacation because of a combo of procrastination and now monitoring the situation going on now. I think the hardest part of delaying the vacation is explaining to my toddler child we can't go yet as it is a birthday trip for him/me too (we share the same birthday). He isn't quite old enough to understand the scope of the current pandemic.

Black Dog
03-16-2020, 09:27 AM
Both teachers at our house. Schools and Universities closed until April 6th here (at the soonest). Have to be available after next week for potential transition to online delivery mode. Our kids are going to be getting some home schooling from us starting next week....they are none too happy right that their parents are teachers! :mad: Well we are heading off to the woods for some late winter camping this week. We need a Covid-19 break. Kids are super excited to be back out camping again this winter. Everything else has been a bit heavy for them.

My wife is off work dealing with Breast Cancer and her upcoming radiation treatments will be delayed. Lucky for us she is deemed to be cancer free and the radiation is considered to be precautionary measure. All hospitals are now ending elective procedures and reallocating resources and staff to meet the incoming tide.

We are lucky and making the best of all of this and we are prepared to make whatever sacrifices are needed to help everyone get through this. It has been a great opportunity to teach our kids about doing things for the greater good and knowing that sacrifice and hardship are real and important parts of life.

skitlets
03-16-2020, 09:33 AM
Parents wanted to retire this year and are in the hotel industry, so their hours have been severely cut. I am stowing away money to help offset.

BobbyJones
03-16-2020, 09:40 AM
So screwed.

Personally well prepared for the near-term, but all future income cut to $0 for now (and probably for as long as this lasts) along with most of my immediate social circle in hospitality, entertainment and any sort of sales suffering greatly.

If I hear one more salaried employee bitching about how inconvenienced they are...

I guess we all have our own problems though. C'est la vie!

sitzmark
03-16-2020, 09:44 AM
- wife notified to WFH until further notice (SAP/finance in biotech)
- decisions taken to end winter programming for nonprofit adaptive sports organization I’m involved with. Major fundraising events severely impacted. Next step is forecasting when (if) we can safely bring summer programming online
- kicked off ski slopes at end of day yesterday. Almost all areas in USA followed CO’s decision to close for week and take stock. Unlikely many will reopen - our mountain included. Returned to Boston.
- cancelling a 60th surprise party for winter home friend. She and husband both recently in C remission so going forward with that would be stupid
- May head back to wilds of Maine and shelter in place/ skin for turns later in the week
- dealing with 80+ year old mother/MIL, both living independently at home in Seattle and KC respectively. Thought about traveling to care for them but don’t like the odds of plane travel and infecting them ... or bringing something back on return. Will go at first sign of illness but until then everyone trying to make “smart” choices. Amazoned quick scan thermometers to moms and told them to use at first sign of illness. Assembled plan of action for what ifs.
- had a couple of weeks of TP on hand from last Costco bulk package buy. Figured it was time to buy another package last Tue. None in store. For 6 days now have checked when in groc store, BJ’s, Walmart, and Costco in 3 states and still have not increased my supply of TP. Prob 6-8 rolls at winter house and maybe 9-12 at home. Hmmm is it actually possible we could run out?? :)
- winter all but gone so first road ride under belt and will be rebuilding fitness on a bike wherever I end up

nesteel
03-16-2020, 09:50 AM
The impact isn't being felt here yet, but it will be in several weeks if not sooner. We all may get a vacation in this city if the mayor makes the announcement we all expect; closing of all non essential businesses. We'll see.
My employment has not been effected at all. I fully anticipate that to change in about a month, and stay slow for quite a while. We had planned on adding staff to my department, but that may be on hold.
My wife works for a large Omaha based child/teen centered non-profit, and the school closures are going to result in an attendance surge in her area. She may end up living on campus for a time, depending upon upper echelon decisions and staffing levels. Unfortunately, we need the income. We had that discussion on Sunday. Neither of us is happy about it, but it is what it is.
My part time summer gig is also a "non essential" business, and will disappear with any closure announcement.
If we both end up at home without pay, we're well and truly screwed.
Unless the banks holding our mortgage and car loans want to offer a temporary moratorium on payments until the crisis lets up/ends.....

But, were both healthy, our two adult children that live local are both healthy, as is the rest of my wifes family. As far as I know, my immediate family are all well.

ScottW
03-16-2020, 10:35 AM
Not a ton of impact for my job, yet. My employer (biotech company) has told desk/office-only people to work from home. People who work in labs (which I do on most days) can still come in to the building on days when we need to, for now. At another facility where we produce sample processing reagents that are needed for testing people, they have other contingencies in place so manufacturing can keep running 24/7.

Wife works an office job for a hospital system and has been told to work from home, and with schools closed until at least April 10 she will be going bonkers being home with the kids all day.

Schools closed and lots of people WFH, the traffic map around DC was as green as it gets on a weekday.

Stocks/401ks in the crapper but we're >20 years from retirement so we'll be fine in the long run. Trying to see the bright side, considering refi'ing the mortgage as the rates creep down.

Jeff N.
03-16-2020, 10:37 AM
Not at all. I just ride my bike.

sjbraun
03-16-2020, 10:45 AM
I'm retired with no kids at home so that's easy. I have two risk factors, age (which I'm not really concerned about since I think my functional age is way less than my chronological age,) and an underlying health condition that leaves me with a less than fully functioning immune system.
As far as impacts, our Road Scholar hiking trip has been cancelled, we've cancelled trips to OR and San Diego planned for April. I'm avoiding crowds which means home delivery from Costco for some needed staples, (ie coffee!!!) and we'll only hit the grocery store early or just before closing.'
I won't be drinking at my local brewery, but I might pop in for a few cans to take home.
Perhaps the biggest issue is deciding how far to go with social distancing.

C40_guy
03-16-2020, 10:48 AM
Trying to see the bright side, considering refi'ing the mortgage as the rates creep down.

Good time to get that process started. Rates seemed to hit a bottom a week ago and started creeping up. Who knows what will happen this week...but they aren't likely to go much lower...and at least the refi process is working now. I wouldn't wait... (we refinanced in January, knocked a full point and five years off our mortgage...)

jtakeda
03-16-2020, 10:55 AM
We’re frickin busy.

I guess all these people are at home working and are expecting all the county buildings to shut down soon.

We’re getting a ton of ****ing work. It’s kind of incredible —this idea of “i need to work from home for my safety but here’s 4 subpoenas one of them is going to a hospital in marin. Needs to be done today”

I’m gonna suggest we charge hazard pay rates

Ozz
03-16-2020, 10:59 AM
So far, so good:

HS kid is doing online school from home
College kid is home and taking finals online
Reduced staff at work / some working from home
Staff only allowed to go to their offices / floors
I will be setup to work from home this week.
Client meetings are now WebEx meetings

We always tended to have a couple weeks worth of food / household supplies on hand anyways, so no need to rush the stores for food or such. Maybe bought a few extra cans of beans, pastas and coffee.

Supporting local restaurants by ordering take-out and tipping 25%+

Wine cellar is fully stocked...so we are good there.:cool:

Oh, and been planning a trip to Italy for the past year......<boom>.....gone. Well, probably postponed to next year, but who knows?

Velocipede
03-16-2020, 11:07 AM
Me: NAHBS, Sea Otter and dealer/magazine visits all postponed or canceled.
Wife: working from home 100% now.
Oldest: OU: online classes cause campus is closed. Job: Nope, place is closed now.
Middle: school: closed for 3 weeks. have to do reading eggs and jiji math at home. PSR: canceled while school is closed so he has to do reading at home. Karate" closed. Needs to practice at home or watch instructional videos from the teacher online. Cub Scouts: canceled at least while school is closed, possibly longer.
Youngest: school: closed for 3 weeks. have to do reading eggs and jiji math at home. PSR: canceled while school is closed so he has to do reading at home. Fancy dancey class: closed. Daisies: canceled at least while school is closed, possibly longer.

It's definitely different. And tougher since everyone is home for a long time.

I will say this is great cause there is a wedding in St Louis in April. That side of my wife family is super racist. I hate going. So it's nice we will most likely not be going now. I hope anyways.

CAAD
03-16-2020, 11:15 AM
I work from home so that easy to deal with. My clients are RV dealerships. If they are slow them I'm slow. The economy is what I'm worried about. Uncertain at this point, thank God for savings. Was going to go to Ireland to visit my fiance's family next week, that's cancelled. Still need to call the airlines and see what options are.

prototoast
03-16-2020, 11:45 AM
I'm very lucky, I am a federal government employee who can work from home, and my wife works at a hospital. We're both far enough out from retirement that any short term market movement won't matter for us, and we can make our monthly mortgage payment with only one of our salaries. Financially, we are about as stable anyone could be right now.

We were planning to travel to Spain in 2 weeks and that has been cancelled, as well as any plans to visit my mother. But otherwise, a typical day is no different than a day before: I work, I walk my dogs, and I bike.

marciero
03-16-2020, 11:48 AM
My school was late announcing decision to go online delivery, just announcing Friday afternoon. Spring break now but everyone scrambling to prepare. My department is in very good shape though with lots of partial and fully online content and/or content that is technology-based to begin with.

GF works at a retirement place. We are weighing whether she should stop working. Someone has to take care of those people though. On the other hand, she is 62 so age is a risk factor.

Worried about the markets and retirement, esp. as a very late starter.

It's strange going on a long ride and not stopping at a single place for coffee or anything. I'm used to doing that, bringing food and enough water, or filling bottles at fire stations. That has its own aesthetic. But weird refraining from interactions because of this.

jtakeda
03-16-2020, 06:25 PM
Welp. I’m out of work until April 7.

AngryScientist
03-16-2020, 06:28 PM

what's your job jt?

Matthew
03-16-2020, 06:33 PM
No direct effect except for my now terrible 401k. And all restaurants are take out or delivery. And I can't find TP anywhere. Still have to work as I'm a Correction's Officer. If this virus hits the prison, I'm screwed. Our OT is terrible enough already. Hoping since we're fairly isolated we may be ok.

bthornt
03-16-2020, 06:35 PM
No direct effect except for my now terrible 401k. And all restaurants are take out or delivery. And I can't find TP anywhere. Still have to work as I'm a Correction's Officer. If this virus hits the prison, I'm screwed. Our OT is terrible enough already. Hoping since we're fairly isolated we may be ok.

I feel your pain on that 401k thing, brother.

Spdntrxi
03-16-2020, 06:35 PM

My Co can be deem itself essential for people being able to continue to WFH thus bypassing the policy. Still waiting for a direct message from my Co.. We are already asked to WFH as much as we can, but if the production people are not there to take our direction there is little point to WFH.

zmudshark
03-16-2020, 06:40 PM
I am a senior citizen in the risk category. I Winter in AZ, permanent home in MI. My elderly in-laws also do the same. They are not able to travel on their own, so we travel with them back and forth. We have flights for 4-25, but unsure what the situation will be. I can move the flights up to 4-4, but still not clear if that would be an advantage or not, health-wise for the in-laws.

If it were just my wife and our Schnauzer, I would drive. Not an option with 90 year olds in not great health. I wish there was some guidance on what to do from reliable sources.

Will there be an airline travel shut down? Would they be safer in AZ than in MI? Is anyone responsible actually running things? :help:

Ti Designs
03-16-2020, 07:00 PM
I've lost all faith in the human race.

jimcav
03-16-2020, 07:12 PM
I am a senior citizen in the risk category. I Winter in AZ, permanent home in MI. My elderly in-laws also do the same. They are not able to travel on their own, so we travel with them back and forth. We have flights for 4-25, but unsure what the situation will be. I can move the flights up to 4-4, but still not clear if that would be an advantage or not, health-wise for the in-laws.

If it were just my wife and our Schnauzer, I would drive. Not an option with 90 year olds in not great health. I wish there was some guidance on what to do from reliable sources.

Will there be an airline travel shut down? Would they be safer in AZ than in MI? Is anyone responsible actually running things? :help:

They know your conditions etc. If it were my family, I'd stay put versus travelling. Sadly, there isn't good background testing to say if AZ or MI has more prevalence of SARS-CO-V2, which would be the only thing that might make going from AZ to MI look attractive. Just look at the thousands of people who were posting selfies of themselves at St Patrick's Day parties or restaurants this weekend, who might be at the airport or on your flight. People have not taken this seriously, so you have to. Good luck

nesteel
03-16-2020, 07:13 PM

I've typically had very little to begin with. Times like this just reinforce the knowledge that I've always been right about humanity.

terry
03-16-2020, 07:22 PM
As a retiree on a fixed income that’s unaffected, with no need to dip into my 401k I can ride this out-my only short term affect is not going to meet my buds at the local Irish pub for a few laffs this St. Paddy’s day.

Jaybee
03-16-2020, 07:24 PM
They know your conditions etc. If it were my family, I'd stay put versus travelling. Sadly, there isn't good background testing to say if AZ or MI has more prevalence of SARS-CO-V2, which would be the only thing that might make going from AZ to MI look attractive. Just look at the thousands of people who were posting selfies of themselves at St Patrick's Day parties or restaurants this weekend, who might be at the airport or on your flight. People have not taken this seriously, so you have to. Good luck

I've seen speculation but no geospatial evidence that the virus is clustered between 50 and 30 degrees N latitutde. That might be a point in the stay in AZ column. But it would require more corroboration.

jtakeda
03-16-2020, 07:26 PM
what's your job jt?

Bike messenger/ process server

Not really a work from home type job

Spdntrxi
03-16-2020, 07:27 PM

my most used line this week is .." I hate humans" I went to Costco today and was in/out in sub 30min though. Got my potstickers! :banana:

MikeD
03-16-2020, 07:34 PM

Who said "We have met the enemy, and they are us."?

R3awak3n
03-16-2020, 07:39 PM
Not working this week and really have nothing coming up. I think something will eventually come up when my industry figures out how to work from home. I think its going to be a pretty bad before it gets better so I will try to live cheap for a bit and figure out how to learn some stuff I don't already know. I think this is the time for that if you are just at home with nothing to do.

Dino Suegiù
03-16-2020, 07:45 PM
Yes, very affected.
No work, no travel (for needs, not pleasure), and, much worse and most frightening, a death in my family (my uncle).

Clean39T
03-16-2020, 07:50 PM
..... figure out how to learn some stuff I don't already know. I think this is the time for that if you are just at home with nothing to do.

Would make a good thread......

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

jimcav
03-16-2020, 07:59 PM
Yes, very affected.
No work, no travel (for needs, not pleasure), and, much worse and most frightening, a death in my family (my uncle).

i have nothing to offer, other than I am so sorry to hear it, wish you strength, and hope your willingness to share this drives home the real need for each to do what they can to stop the spread

Louis
03-16-2020, 08:09 PM
Falls into the "1st world problems," but still a hassle:

The gym I use at work, which is free and super-convenient, open 24-hrs x 365, with all the equipment I need, plus showers, etc. etc. is shutting down for the foreseeable future. I think I've found a decent replacement (haven't visited them yet) but it will cost me $21 / month.

If that's the extent of the price I have to pay for this COVD-19 stuff, I'll count myself lucky.

Dino Suegiù
03-16-2020, 08:22 PM
i have nothing to offer, other than I am so sorry to hear it, wish you strength, and hope your willingness to share this drives home the real need for each to do what they can to stop the spread

Thank you. That is very kind of you.

(And thank you also for your respectful discretion; I really do not feel like sharing any more details "publicly" at this time. This is all so recent (including the news of his death), and I am very sad and now personally even more frightened.)

I completely agree with you here (and in the posts of yours I have read to date on this issue): I also sincerely hope that messaging/updates/action from leaders becomes more transparent, helpful, and positive as much as possible, and also that society globally does its best to use both common sense and common respect.

Arguing about what to name this thing, who is insulted by that, and/or lamenting the singular personal actions and sacrifices that are and will be necessary for the good of society is very selfish and ultimately unhelpful at this point.

zmudshark
03-16-2020, 08:23 PM

I called a Mtn bike rider a 'dick' today. Ass would have been more appropriate.

Hiking with wife and dog on a narrow part of the trail, no where to go, except for him to stop. He didn't.

ORMojo
03-16-2020, 08:36 PM
88-yr-old health-compromised mom lives in active virus area. I've been supporting her in person, until today when her doctor told her she goes nowhere, and no one comes to her
K and 5th graders' schools closed
Spring Break road trip cancelled
Lots of work setting up all my staff so they can work from home - which is fortunately very possible, but a lot to set up
Many meetings moved to phone/Skype/etc., many many others cancelled
OK with supplies for now, but couldn't find additional when I went to look the other day
School Board I serve on dealing day to day with schools closed, arranging for deep cleaning, arranging for remote learning, etc. Not necessarily involved in all the details, but having to consider impacts/changes to Policies, budget, school calendar/make-up days, etc.
City Commissions/committees I serve on are all cancelled indefinitely
No Spring sports for my daughter
No dining out
No movie theaters (kids & I usually average two movies out per month)

jimcav
03-16-2020, 08:50 PM
I also sincerely hope that messaging/updates/action from leaders becomes more transparent, helpful, and positive as much as possible, and also that society globally does its best to use both common sense and common respect.

Here is to hoping that at last people are listening to actual EXPERT opinion instead of nightly opinions of various pundits, politicians, influencers, hosts, etc.
Once Americans finally recognize or belief in a crisis, we really can pull together and do amazing things. It is hard not to lament a little bit that we have made the task so much harder by delaying actions, perhaps that is human nature. My dad once said to me something said to him on a destroyer during the Korean War. "A bitching sailor is a happy sailor, so this has got to be the happiest crew in the navy". I wish I had a better quote, but they worked hard, together, and while they did bitch about it, they got the mission, every one , done successfully. I am sure we will as well.

temeyone
03-16-2020, 08:54 PM
As a NYC restaurant worker, I am now without a job or pay.

Blue Jays
03-16-2020, 09:00 PM
Sorry to learn that unfortunate news, temeyone.
Hopefully financial help is delivered very quickly.

parris
03-16-2020, 09:21 PM
My wife works at Binghamton University as an assistant communications director. She supports the nursing and pharmacy schools as well as some other projects. After tomorrow she'll be working from home for the near future. She's only gone in today and tomorrow to clean some things up that can't be handled easily from home.

Our son is a student at Binghamton University. Today he had one class on campus. He and most other BU students are now doing their classes online.

I work for the Broome County Sheriff's Dept as a Corrections Officer. I'm essential personal and have a bag packed if things at the facility go South and heavy OT hits I like the other CO's will be at work.

jtakeda
03-16-2020, 10:18 PM
As a NYC restaurant worker, I am now without a job or pay.

Aw man. I hope the community supports y’all in this time. I’m buying gift certs and helping my friends restaurants as much as possible.

Good luck

weaponsgrade
03-17-2020, 12:33 AM
Schools closed for three weeks. Teachers handed out homework packets and daily schedules. I told my older one to do the best she can to help the younger one bc I need to work. I’m trying to get whatever backlog of work I have done in case clients change their mind and decide to pull any remaining work. Kids ended up with Netflix for the better part of the day. Wife is wfh starting tomorrow but she’s pretty loaded with her work too.

I already do all the cooking but am cooking even more now bc we’ve stopped eating out. Restaurants are still allowed to have takeout but I’m nervous about the health of people preparing the food. I tried going to Costco again this morning but the parking lot was full and there was a line of cars at least a block long waiting to get in. This was at 9:30am and they open at 9. I passed.

Hawaii trip cancelled. At least the kids weren’t told about it. Family reunion involving my siblings on both coasts and parents in Canada will likely be cancelled. Eroica ride cancelled.

This is only day one of the shelter in place. Lol. On a brighter note, it was a nice day today and I took my kids riding through the park and to throw a football around. My one finally worked up the courage to ride down a big hill in front of the house for the first time. She had the biggest grin.

oldpotatoe
03-17-2020, 05:27 AM
WE are both retired, so no work related issues for wife and I. We don't depend on the various investments we have, so no issue there. Probably, maybe won't have 'time' to see it rebound much but it's mostly there for vacations, new cars, home improvement type stuff.
One son works for a $trilion bank..no issue there, other son works for city of Denver..in code enforcement..he'll probably have his duties expanded.
Daughter in law works at BIG hospital but mom/labor and delivery..better than being in other departments..Job secure but really stressful.

Grandkids out of school for foreseeable future..some school materials forwarded by teachers(yay email and interweb)..Biggest challenge is keeping them engaged, and away from their friends..

We cancelled a 6 person family vacation to Disneyland. Basically sheltering in place..sharing what others of us need..We are all healthy for now..

Frustrated by the Fed response and the politics of it all, mixed messages, confusion, 'TV' moments but it just makes me angry, doesn't really impact me at all...

This 'feels' a lot like 9/11...but slow motion, extended period of time..I wasn't around during a world war, and even if I was, not in a country threatened..Wonder if this 'feels' like it was in the UK during the battle of Britain. That was much more violent, of course but lots of uncertainty, fear of going outside, just trying to shelter and survive. Too bad there isn't a nation-wide plan and response today, with private industry, to attack this 'enemy'...
I DID see a perfume maker now making hand sanitizer and a Brit car company starting to make ventilators..too bad there isn't Fed direction here..
Too much interest in Nov 3rd, 2020, not enough on March 17, 2020...

Stay safe..ignore the news, take care of you and yours. Help others if you can. Don't expect the bozos in DC to help, on ether side of the isle. UGLY, DESTRUCTIVE partisanship is surging, at the detriment of the people on 'main street'...

rallizes
03-17-2020, 05:42 AM

The world is shutting down to try to save people

Most people I know are helping each other and are concerned about the welfare of others

paredown
03-17-2020, 05:51 AM
So far--my life continues as before. My lovely wife does 90% of her work remotely as before, i continue picking away at house projects (although my back is acting up) inside and outside.

Surprisingly (or maybe not) NY State is now one of the hotbeds--but Rockland County where we are, not so much (more heterogeneous population and less travel--since we're poorer than Westchester?)

I'm concerned that one of my friends who works construction already has a serious sore throat and cough--and her doctors told her that they will not/cannot test her under current guidelines.

Instead, she has been prescribed three days of antibiotics--so if it clears up, then it is not COVID-19, if it doesn't--and by then she is really, really sick--they will test.

Anyone interested in the CDC's stupidity about testing-- (they refused to use either the Chinese or the German-developed tests and instead developed their own--at least a three week delay)--and then sent out their test that is not robust in the field, so now all swabs have to be sent to them in Atlanta for testing---here's a podcast describing this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/11/podcasts/the-daily/coronavirus-us-testing.html

Or WaPo this morning has this story:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/03/16/cdc-who-coronavirus-tests/

Llewellyn
03-17-2020, 05:53 AM
I'm a bookkeeper and work almost entirely at home so minimal impact in that regard, but the type of work I do still needs to be done, although I expect that the volume may drop a bit (assuming my clients stay afloat). My wife is a nurse but not in anything connected to Coronavirus so she still has work to do.

But we're comparatively lucky compared to many people - I think this is going to be an economic catastrophe on many levels that will take years to recover from.

gemship
03-17-2020, 05:59 AM
Frustrated by the Fed response and the politics of it all, mixed messages, confusion, 'TV' moments but it just makes me angry, doesn't really impact me at all...

This 'feels' a lot like 9/11...but slow motion, extended period of time..I wasn't around during a world war, and even if I was, not in a country threatened..Wonder if this 'feels' like it was in the UK during the battle of Britain. That was much more violent, of course but lots of uncertainty, fear of going outside, just trying to shelter and survive. Too bad there isn't a nation-wide plan and response today, with private industry, to attack this 'enemy'...
I DID see a perfume maker now making hand sanitizer and a Brit car company starting to make ventilators..too bad there isn't Fed direction here..
Too much interest in Nov 3rd, 2020, not enough on March 17, 2020...

Stay safe..ignore the news, take care of you and yours. Help others if you can. Don't expect the bozos in DC to help, on ether side of the isle. UGLY, DESTRUCTIVE partisanship is surging, at the detriment of the people on 'main street'...

I mostly agree with what you state, especially ignoring the news because it's frustrating. Actually the only reason I ever watched the news is for the daily weather so I can plan or at least expect the conditions I have to go outside to do my work. Generally I hate the news because it's rare to not get sucked into viewing it and digesting all the other stories to get that one needed piece of info. The news in my view seems to have a shock and awe entertainment factor attached to the reality they convey and then there's the background music. So to further digress it seems all the news tv stations have smoking hot babes either anchoring or doing the weather...they may have brains but it's hard to say they didn't get hired for looks.

Does this remind me of 911...I don't know man...kinda but that's a stretch. I commercially harvest clams and sell them to dealers mostly, once in a blue moon to someone who happens to be at the right place and time and wants fresh seafood. Having said that with restaurants closed and take out being a weak alternative it's basically killed the clam market. I don't think the twin towers burning to the ground did that but at the time when that happened I was a machinist.

No my man these times truly suck, you can't even go to get a pizza slice or stop at a bar for a beer, just pathetic. I get it but it sucks. It's a taste of freedoms to be taken away. Not even really sure closing restaurants makes much difference.

boywander
03-17-2020, 06:37 AM
I’ve been through worst than this lived in a communist country in my early years. This surely reminds me a little of it, but not at all nearly as bad. Not yet, until the gov go to Marshall law/ police state when curfews are enforce..

temeyone
03-17-2020, 06:49 AM
As an addendum to my post last night during which I was a bit depressed and anxious with the news of the restaurant shutdown, I fully agree with the decision. Restaurants are a prime situation for rapid transmission of something like this. I just truly hope and pray that our city/country puts in measures in place to protect those working at these places, economically speaking. A lot of us are living check to check, and without measures in place to freeze rents, a lot of folks are going to be hurt terribly by this while we divert all of our nation’s funds to keeping the bigger institutions afloat.
I’ll be ok, I think. I was lucky enough to tuck some money away for retirement, and I can draw from that. Far less than ideal for my planning, but life be that way sometimes.

AngryScientist
03-17-2020, 06:53 AM
As an addendum to my post last night during which I was a bit depressed and anxious with the news of the restaurant shutdown, I fully agree with the decision. Restaurants are a prime situation for rapid transmission of something like this. I just truly hope and pray that our city/country puts in measures in place to protect those working at these places, economically speaking. A lot of us are living check to check, and without measures in place to freeze rents, a lot of folks are going to be hurt terribly by this while we divert all of our nation’s funds to keeping the bigger institutions afloat.
I’ll be ok, I think. I was lucky enough to tuck some money away for retirement, and I can draw from that. Far less than ideal for my planning, but life be that way sometimes.

hang in there. we're in the very early stages of this fast evolving situation. it may take a little while, but i'm confident that the big city restaurant business will bounce back.

unterhausen
03-17-2020, 07:09 AM
I could probably work from home but I am not set up with funding to get paid so I can't charge it to anything. Partly my fault, but I'm not sure it can be rectified right now. Good thing we don't need the money.

trener1
03-17-2020, 07:51 AM
We are going to be hit pretty hard.
School is closed for at least 5 weeks, and I have little boys literally bouncing off the walls, my younger one asking when he is going to school and see his friends.
We are in NYC so a small space, and can't take the kids to the playground, or the park, just stuck all in close quarters, fun times.

As far as income, well I own a small business that is involved in corporate events, so that is at the very neat number of zero for the foreseeable future.

Geeheeb
03-17-2020, 07:55 AM
I'm an RN, but I do informatics not patient care. Normally I work about 08:00-17:00 but now I'm working about 12 hour days helping out other RNs and a bunch of new hires. Busy busy busy. I don't want to talk PUI number specifics but they are orders of magnitude higher than lask week.

I commute by bike to work so I'm short of breath and febrile when I walk through the employeee screening at the front door :banana:

jm714
03-17-2020, 07:58 AM
I’m a city manager that employees over 500 FTE’s. We made the decision to shut down city facilities to the public and it’s eerie being in city hall without the citizens. I am trying to figure out alternative work schedules, telecommuting and paying part time employees for work that isn’t there and also preparing for the what I see to be an eventual lockdown. Where we will then have to provide essential services such as public safety, keeping the water flowing and picking up the trash. Then there is the generational divide between employees. The older employees remember that when they signed up this gig they took their position knowing they are disaster workers that are supposed to make sure their families are safe and then report to work. Yesterday I had number of millennials not report to work because they still live at home with seniors and they felt at risk to come to work and then return home and potentially infect their parents.

Jaybee
03-17-2020, 08:03 AM
My first thought after day 1:. Teachers should make a minimum of 1 million dollars per year.

Elefantino
03-17-2020, 08:18 AM
Our shop is open as usual, at least for now.

However, we're down to 3 FTEs because two of them are self-quarantining because of immunodeficiency.

Six day work weeks for the three of us remaining.

benb
03-17-2020, 08:26 AM
My first thought after day 1:. Teachers should make a minimum of 1 million dollars per year.

LOL.. my kid has ADHD. Without his prescription I'd get absolutely 0 work done.

Ready to tear my hair out just to get through breakfast this morning.

To be honest though, it was snowing here this morning. I think that drove me nuts more than either my kid being super crazy or being stuck home in a pandemic. Snow + rain = bad mood.

jtakeda
03-17-2020, 09:52 AM

Does NY have any safeguards?

SF introduced a program where if you burn your sick time (or don’t have any) they will give you 40 hours of sick pay at $15.26 per hour. Not amazing but it’s something! Accounts for 1/3 of the time I’m stuck out of work.

I hope NY does the same or has a similar program.

Al of the sudden people are understanding Jerry Browns “rainy day fund” that everyone was telling Newsom to spend!!

madsciencenow
03-17-2020, 10:16 AM
Working from home for at least three weeks. Not stoked about this but it’s pretty minimal compared to many other people right now. I suspect the time at home will be much longer but will see.

Kids are also virtual for school for what I suspect will be the remainder of the school year. If the weather cooperates this should be doable.

Clean39T
03-17-2020, 10:34 AM
Does NY have any safeguards?

SF introduced a program where if you burn your sick time (or don’t have any) they will give you 40 hours of sick pay at $15.26 per hour. Not amazing but it’s something! Accounts for 1/3 of the time I’m stuck out of work.

I hope NY does the same or has a similar program.

Al of the sudden people are understanding Jerry Browns “rainy day fund” that everyone was telling Newsom to spend!!

Turns out California could be a model for how this country could be run.. Not perfect, but they sure do try.

And the response to attempt to alleviate some of the human suffering experienced in the homeless sector is commendable - even if it is more about being proactive to prevent the surge at the hospitals.

Old School
03-17-2020, 10:36 AM
What is FTE?

(pic unrelated)

kppolich
03-17-2020, 10:38 AM
What is FTE?

(pic unrelated)

full time employee or equivalent

Clean39T
03-17-2020, 10:38 AM
What is FTE?

(pic unrelated)

Usually short-hand for Full Time Employee - and in project management gets divided up according to how much of a 40-hr workweek is needed for a given task or project.

Irishgirl
03-17-2020, 10:43 AM
Decisions.... decisions...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200317/46468bb9104ad7644f318de4907acf4b.jpg

Powerful Pete
03-17-2020, 10:50 AM
Significant impact.

I work in international development and most of our work is tied to donor funding - watching very closely as our work will be curtailed, I suspect, as funding for our programming (agricultural research and nutrition) is redirected to address the Covid-19 pandemic.

I travel extensively for work, so all that is cancelled. MY HQ is on lockdown (in Lima, Peru) and I am now working from home in the US. The upside is I am with my family here and riding.

My team is sprinkled all over the world and we are putting in practice our business continuity protocols.

No idea what happens longer term, but I suspect there will be serious repercussions on my institution and industry more widely over time.

On a more positive note, more family time (daughter #1 is back home from college and daughter #2 is working from home since her high school closed). My wife is also at home as she works in a local school district. I get to plan my own schedule and for now ride more.

C40_guy
03-17-2020, 10:54 AM
To be honest though, it was snowing here this morning. I think that drove me nuts more than either my kid being super crazy or being stuck home in a pandemic. Snow + rain = bad mood.

Warm and sunny here on Cape Cod. :)

I'd invite you to come on down, but...

Ozz
03-17-2020, 10:54 AM
Decisions.... decisions...

I'd say make a Black & Tan, but it would be waste of perfectly good Guiness to mix it with Corona.....go get some Harp and do it right.

Slainte!

ORMojo
03-17-2020, 10:55 AM
What is FTE?

Full Time Equivalent, or Full Time Equivalency

1.0 FTE equals 2,080 employed hours per year, at 8 hours per day, times 5 days per week, times 52 weeks in the year.

0.5 FTE means a part time employee, working a total of 1,040 hours per year, but not necessarily at a constant rate of 20 hours per week. Some half-time, or 0.5 FTE employees, work 40-hour work weeks for one-half of the year.

sjbraun
03-17-2020, 10:58 AM
Except that due to recent gyrations in the stock market, I'm no longer planning a bike purchase, but Allied must be feeling the impact. All complete bikes are now $1,000 off.

Clean39T
03-17-2020, 11:06 AM
Except that due to recent gyrations in the stock market, I'm no longer planning a bike purchase, but Allied must be feeling the impact. All complete bikes are now $1,000 off.

I think they were before this all started.....

Great bikes, I'd strongly consider if in the market.

kppolich
03-17-2020, 11:09 AM
I started a new job a few weeks ago and the business is very diversified and stable. However, like everyone else there have been some contracts put on hold until this thing blows over. WFH has always been a thing, but now is mandatory.

Leadership has been key, and their message has always been work from home if you think you are sick. Leadership clearly stated no jobs would be cut, but there would be a temporary pay cutback (10%) due to business slowly a bit.

This was widely accepted by everyone the key leaders even went as far as taking more personal pay cuts to sustain the employees. That is true leadership and a breath of fresh air in the tech world.

GregL
03-17-2020, 11:10 AM
Like everyone else, significant impact on my life. Fortunately, my family is all safe at home and I will be working with two other co-workers to provide leadership for my team at work. I will be in the office every third day until the crisis abates or I get sick.

Rather than focus on the details, I want to focus on the emotional impact this is taking on people. I'm watching the stress wash over people like waves at a beach. Some people can let the waves come by and either take the hit or swim over the crest. Others are quickly knocked down. My biggest task for this crisis will be helping those overcome by the waves. I've already seen a big increase in office visitors (nearly all standing in the doorway about 8 feet away, trying to keep their social distance) as well as phone calls and e-mails. They all need a calm presence, reassurance, and honesty. They usually have the answers to the questions they bring, they just need to talk it through.

My request to all of you: be patient and kind as this crisis worsens. Be a beacon of calm in a crazy world. Help those most in need. Think of how you want to be remembered after this crisis is over.

Greg

Powerful Pete
03-17-2020, 11:14 AM
My request to all of you: be patient and kind as this crisis worsens. Be a beacon of calm in a crazy world. Help those most in need. Think of how you want to be remembered after this crisis is over.

Greg

Excellent advice good sir. :beer:

commonguy001
03-17-2020, 11:16 AM
Both the company my wife works for and my company have sent everyone who can work remotely home until the all clear is given. That part doesn't really impact us as we're already remote but it's challenging from the perspective of 90% of the workforce acclimating to the reality of WAH and our phone carriers have had to work on the all lines busy messages we started getting yesterday. Webex seems to have figured it out and so have the local carriers, that's a solid response time IMO.

My wife's Barre3 gym has closed but she's continuing online courses. I'll just continue to ride solo until I'm told I can't.

Looking at a camping (rv) trip this weekend and wondering if the Oregon State Parks will shut things down by then. We're totally self contained and would still like to spend 3 nights on the coast but won't if we shouldn't. We were meeting my cousin and his wife out there (still only 4 of us so not above 10 or 25) so if it gets shut down we may have them over for a staycation as we live out of town about 10 minutes from some really great hiking and we'd still have fun being distant (i guess).

jlwdm
03-17-2020, 11:20 AM
I work from home as a Realtor so no huge changes for me, other than limited number of people looking at houses. It is probably time for me to retire, but I just have not been able to stop working.

I am over 70, and I have not left my house for the last 4 days. Trying to do what I can to be safe. I cannot remember the last time I stayed home all day. I have thought about going out for a car drive to see what things look like around here, but decided to just stay home.

Told house cleaners not to come tomorrow, but that I would pay them. Canceled haircut. One doctor's appointment next week that I need to determine if I need to go.

I am signed up for an HPDE at a local track this weekend that is still going to be held. I will probably skip it as too many people.

Nothing major.

Jeff

C40_guy
03-17-2020, 11:50 AM
I am signed up for an HPDE at a local track this weekend that is still going to be held. I will probably skip it as too many people.

As long as you're not in the novice run group, you should be fine, right?

RacerJRP
03-17-2020, 12:19 PM
I'll be working from the house for the next three weeks. No biggie. Mandated as the office building has been closed. My wife's office was closed today for a TBD amount of time...She is hourly and will have no income...so that is a bit of a bummer. Interested to see how this shakes out with unemployment etc.

Irishgirl
03-17-2020, 12:22 PM
I'll be working from the house for the next three weeks. No biggie. Mandated as the office building has been closed. My wife's office was closed today for a TBD amount of time...She is hourly and will have no income...so that is a bit of a bummer. Interested to see how this shakes out with unemployment etc.

Depending on your state your wife may qualify for unemployment benefits. Doing a quick google search shows many states posting details on the process....hope this helps.

Red Tornado
03-17-2020, 12:22 PM
Two of my three grown children working from their homes for the foreseeable future. Youngest kid still at his job - not from home.
The city I live in creeping steadily closer to lock down - they just announced the forced closure of bars, restaurants (except drive thru) and prohibited gatherings of more than 50 people in one place. I'm sure this will not be the end of it.
Wife is still working at the office, but that could change if necessary. I am still going in to work daily, and as greedy as our company heads are, we will probably be the very last place to close down if it goes that far.
So far no one in our family is sick, that we are aware of.
Got enough food & water collected for several weeks, plus a water filtration system, plenty of propane for the grill and a good stockpile of ammo. Don't consider myself a prepper, but have tried to maintain a supply of maybe 3-4 weeks for the last several years just in case.
So, haven't personally been hit too hard, yet.

merlinmurph
03-17-2020, 12:29 PM
Wife and I both semi-retired. I have no work going on now and she is WFH anyway. So, on the home front, not too bad, except for seeing retirement savings plunge. I have a 93-year-old dad in Savannah GA that I'm concerned about, though he is somewhat isolated and relatively safe where he is. We're considering driving 1000 miles to see him in a few weeks.

A lot changed in one week. After a week skiing in Jackson Hole, I flew back yesterday and am more than moderately concerned about the virus. (The mountain closed on Sunday, our last day, with 23" of freshies on the hill.) I am going to stay right here and away from others for the next week or two to make sure I'm clean. I can do bike rides and walks locally to maintain sanity.

Enough about me/us.

While we were at Jackson, I wished all the workers there luck and all in our group tipped heavily. These are all seasonal workers that need all the work they can get, and to have the season close early will push them to the edge. With the economy basically coming to a halt, I feel for others.

Good luck everyone.

benb
03-17-2020, 12:31 PM
Told house cleaners not to come tomorrow, but that I would pay them. Canceled haircut.

We're going to do this too.. clean the house but send a check to the house cleaner... our housecleaner went out on her own a few years ago after quitting working at an agency. She's probably in her 60s and working for herself... she can probably use the help.

I usually get my whole haircut down with the trimmer. I have the same Wahl trimmer that usually gets used at the Barber/Hair salon... either going to try it myself or let my wife do it in a few more weeks. She would probably get a kick out of ruining my haircut.

BobbyJones
03-17-2020, 12:45 PM
Got enough food & water collected for several weeks, plus a water filtration system, plenty of propane for the grill and a good stockpile of ammo. Don't consider myself a prepper, but have tried to maintain a supply of maybe 3-4 weeks for the last several years just in case.
So, haven't personally been hit too hard, yet.

What's 3-4 weeks of ammo look like?

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.:))

AngryScientist
03-17-2020, 12:48 PM
interestingly i have always joked that the only reason i ever shave is to go into the office or meet with clients. i hate shaving.

i may look like a wild mountain man once this is all over.

Clean39T
03-17-2020, 01:49 PM
interestingly i have always joked that the only reason i ever shave is to go into the office or meet with clients. i hate shaving.

Same. I may also forget how to button a shirt or iron. And it will be interesting to see if my wardrobe even fits when this is winding down .....hopefully I'll be digging out my Clean39T racing-weight attire after a couple months of not eating out and strict vegan vittlin' w my beans n' rice n' veggies situation..

XXtwindad
03-17-2020, 01:57 PM

Yeah, Baby! Hippy Days Are Here Again!!!

Red Tornado
03-17-2020, 02:07 PM
What's 3-4 weeks of ammo look like?

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.:))

Enough to take out 1000+ zombies lol.:D
OK, 3-4 weeks of everything besides the ammo. Who knows how long the ammo will last? Prolly depends on how many "visitors" I get if/when things get really bad. Hopefully, I won't need to find out.....

Dave
03-17-2020, 02:08 PM
Went on a grocery run. No toilet paper or facial tissue, no eggs, very little meat, a little soup. Got lucky and found pork shoulder, pork tenderloin, ground beef and frozen chicken at Walmart. Got some ribs a Sam's club. I'm set for meat, since I already have some steaks.

Corned beef and cabbage tonight - bought that before the panic buying started.

Spdntrxi
03-17-2020, 02:28 PM
Went on a grocery run. No toilet paper or facial tissue, no eggs, very little meat, a little soup. Got lucky and found pork shoulder, pork tenderloin, ground beef and frozen chicken at Walmart. Got some ribs a Sam's club. I'm set for meat, since I already have some steaks.

Corned beef and cabbage tonight - bought that before the panic buying started.

I was at a neighborhood walmart (more grocery store).. and a safeway. They had tons of corned beef still. Fresh chicken and eggs been gone for awhile, but frozen was there.

Seramount
03-17-2020, 02:28 PM
not experiencing much impact so far.

retired, so monthly income unaffected. pension and SS checks still get auto-deposited.

all city pools closed yesterday, so no swimming for at least the next two weeks. poor timing as the weather is just getting nice and warm and I recently purchased my annual pass.

looking at the stock portfolio induces a migraine...ugh. need to stop doing that.

roads are definitely calmer, seeing a ~50% drop in traffic...riding is much less stressful. noticed that there was a marked increase in walkers, runners, cyclists...also a big uptick in smiles and waves from folks. people being nicer as a result of the virus...? hmmm...

but, this is just the beginning for the US, things will get much worse in the near future. hang on, we're gonna be in for some sobering times.

XXtwindad
03-17-2020, 02:36 PM
[QUOTE=Seramount;2676324]not experiencing much impact so far.

retired, so monthly income unaffected. pension and SS checks still get auto-deposited.

all city pools closed yesterday, so no swimming for at least the next two weeks. poor timing as the weather is just getting nice and warm and I recently purchased my annual pass.

looking at the stock portfolio induces a migraine...ugh. need to stop doing that.

roads are definitely calmer, seeing a ~50% drop in traffic...riding is much less stressful. noticed that there was a marked increase in walkers, runners, cyclists...also a big uptick in smiles and waves from folks. people being nicer as a result of the virus...? hmmm...

I think this could be a "silver lining." I certainly hope so. My partner, who is made of much stronger stuff than myself, told me she's viewing it as a "reset" button and taking time to look inward, and focus on what's really important. (I also recognize that we're fortunate to have that option. Many do not.)

On a personal note, I'm training almost all of my clients remotely. I'm extremely grateful. Not only does it keep me afloat, but I've been training these guys for at least five years, and many people closer to ten. They're friends. It's like a barber shop with sweat. Seeing them every week is important to me.

AngryScientist
03-17-2020, 02:37 PM
I bet we will see a boom in birth rates in about 9 months!

i hope we see a few Quarantina's and Covido's born in the fall :hello:

XXtwindad
03-17-2020, 02:38 PM

Haha. Good one.

Spdntrxi
03-17-2020, 02:38 PM
I see small groups of teenagers 3 to 4 at most ..walking around. Maybe they "live" together ?? but they look the same age and dont look anything alike so who knows and way closer then 6ft

Irishgirl
03-17-2020, 02:40 PM

Totally agree...

Maybe Corina will be a popular one ...

Recently read an article discussing the impact on baby names and the names of storms

jtakeda
03-17-2020, 02:43 PM
Wow ok.... So my company seems to be the only messenger company taking it seriously and literally every other company in SF is still operating.

I can understand if youre a courier delivering food/groceries/etc to peoples homes.

But im talking legal courier services--civil litigation-process serving etc.

Not only is this negligent it seems to put all of us at risk because if everyone doesnt participate than I will also have to go back to work or we lose our clients--the dominoes will continue to fall.

District court has already posted a memo saying they wont be accepting courtesy copies to dept. I think it behooves the court system to just temporarily close to discourage this kind of behavior

XXtwindad
03-17-2020, 02:43 PM
I see small groups of teenagers 3 to 4 at most ..walking around. Maybe they "live" together ?? but they look the same age and dont look anything alike so who knows and way closer then 6ft

Sounds suspicious. Did you report them?

Kirk007
03-17-2020, 02:44 PM
e-mail inbox is getting offers from meal providers like Sun Fresh for home delivery. I bet they're going to get busy.

Settling into people avoidance mode. If wife and I aren't already exposed we should be, with luck, in good shape to wait out any surge on our local medical systems. We are having our nicest weather of the year so far and definitely a surge of folks, particularly older folks, out walking in the parks but keeping to small groups and spacing out.

donevwil
03-17-2020, 02:45 PM
Word is we'll be shelter in place tonight so that'll be pretty much the whole Bay Area. My employer manufactures essential products (medical labware) and we need to ramp up production on some long forgotten items to help cover the lost Chinese supply chain. Big hours for me.

Spdntrxi
03-17-2020, 02:47 PM
Sounds suspicious. Did you report them?

not suspicious.. and reporting is not my style. Their parents are likely home too. It should start there.

Mike Lopez
03-17-2020, 02:48 PM
For the moment we're all still healthy here at our shop. It's a big space and there's only a handful of us so it's easy to keep our distance from one another.

Been getting emails from our material suppliers though that are somewhat problematic. Some are predicting shutdowns and one already has.

We're well stocked on carbon prepregs but our rubber bladder supplier has informed us that they've closed down for the foreseeable future. We're in pretty good shape cause we've got inventory of what we get from them and we make the rest in-house.

The could cause problems for some of the other carbon bike guys as well depending on their current inventories and work loads.

Definitely a first world problem though. Some of the bike parts may have to get pushed back for a bit and we'll work on other projects that use different processes.

Stay healthy out there!!

XXtwindad
03-17-2020, 02:59 PM
Wow ok.... So my company seems to be the only messenger company taking it seriously and literally every other company in SF is still operating.

I can understand if youre a courier delivering food/groceries/etc to peoples homes.

But im talking legal courier services--civil litigation-process serving etc.

Not only is this negligent it seems to put all of us at risk because if everyone doesnt participate than I will also have to go back to work or we lose our clients--the dominoes will continue to fall.

District court has already posted a memo saying they wont be accepting courtesy copies to dept. I think it behooves the court system to just temporarily close to discourage this kind of behavior

Definitely seems like there should be a monetary penalty for that. Unfair business practice.

johnmdesigner
03-17-2020, 03:02 PM
We had a trip to Southern Spain and Southern Italy planned for the end of this month but that has been blown all to hell.

I have spent the last week negotiating with hoteliers in Spain and Italy for some consideration on our "No Refund" reservations.
Most have been pretty nice about it giving us a voucher for a future trip.

I have also seen some pretty bad behavior in the last week from customers in stores and especially the Post Office.

My wife and I were in a grocery the other evening and the woman in front of us made a rude comment about my wife (she is Chinese). She got taken to task by myself and the cashier pretty quickly and she ended up leaving her groceries on the counter and walking out. These are the times we live in.

I have encountered random people in the street who are scared and just want someone to acknowledge their fear. Talk to them.

My broker called me yesterday and started into his canned boilerplate about how everything was going to be OK. We both laughed out loud.

Please, don't buy guns. Go to your elderly neighbor and ask them if you can help. Make a donation to your local food pantry. Give your local restaurant some take out business. Think of yourself not as an INDIVIDUAL but as a member of a SOCIETY with responsibilities to your fellow man.

Then we might get through this.

sjbraun
03-17-2020, 03:04 PM
All restaurants, bars and gyms in the city of Tucson close tonight at 8pm. Take out service is permitted.
More challenging- my wife went to visit her dad in memory care and was told no visiting for the foreseeable future. That's tough on her as if the visitation ban lasts more than a week or two, its likely her dad won't know who she is when she's allowed to visit again

AngryScientist
03-17-2020, 03:28 PM
My wife and I were in a grocery the other evening and the woman in front of us made a rude comment about my wife (she is Chinese). She got taken to task by myself and the cashier pretty quickly and she ended up leaving her groceries on the counter and walking out. These are the times we live.

Wow. That is unexpected in NYC and unacceptable anywhere. Really troubled and sorry to hear that John.

Jaybee
03-17-2020, 03:32 PM
All restaurants, bars and gyms in the city of Tucson close tonight at 8pm. Take out service is permitted.
More challenging- my wife went to visit her dad in memory care and was told no visiting for the foreseeable future. That's tough on her as if the visitation ban lasts more than a week or two, its likely her dad won't know who she is when she's allowed to visit again

That's heartbreaking to read. Best to you and your family.

Clean39T
03-17-2020, 04:04 PM
Totally agree...

Maybe Corina will be a popular one ...

Recently read an article discussing the impact on baby names and the names of storms

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkWe will call their generation "Coronials"...

Sorry, it's one of those funny / not-funny things.

We still talk about the PTSD for kids (now great grandparents) who lived through the great depression. I hope this isn't that, but there are a lot of young minds being imprinted right now with fear.

Llewellyn
03-17-2020, 04:09 PM
Not only have we got a Coronavirus pandemic in this country, we also have an "F you" pandemic well as panic buying now seems to be the new national sport. The shops are being stripped bare of everything as soon as it comes in ans supermarkets are rationing more and more items (although that doesn't seem to be working). It's disgusting, greedy and selfish. There are reports of people from the cities travelling to regional towns and stripping their shelves bare as well.

Don't these imbeciles understand that if they just shopped normally then there would be plenty of stuff to go around and they could get what they need whenever they want it.

The place has gone feral and it makes me ashamed - I thought Aussies would be better than this :mad:

rccardr
03-17-2020, 04:11 PM
So personally, less of a big deal than it is for others. We're retired, don't eat out a whole lot and like being around each other in our home. Daughter and SiL live in DC with the grandkids, all home at this point, so our primary exposure is to/through them.

But while out riding my custom Pelizzoli today, I gave some thought to the guy who built it. Sr. Pelizzoli was well into his 80's when I visited his shop for measuring in 2015. He's a tough old bird, was still doing all of the steel custom stuff, a cancer survivor. But at this point he's gotta be 90 or so, and he's in Bergamo, which was one of the first areas to be quarantined. Unfortunately, communication with the shop is bad at the best of times, now...no news at all. So hey, best of luck to him.

PeregrineA1
03-17-2020, 04:22 PM
I’m working from home starting tomorrow. Wife is semi-retired....maybe more than semi now. When she does contract work it is from home-software/data field.

Trip to Pappy and Harriet’s for a weekend of music and desert exploration in early April canceled.

All business travel canceled. Business will undoubtedly be impacted-environmental engineering for mostly corporations.

One kid is a student, working in the restaurant business, and volunteering at a local hospital-now in-employed and finishing classes on line. Other is an analyst for an M&A firm. He is very nervous about the near term but has stashed enough for a year off. His GF is an embryologist and with elective procedures going away, she is likely to be home for a bit.

No expenses beyond food, taxes, insurance, and entertainment so we are fine in that regard. Not looking at retirement accounts, just continuing to fund them.

Hopefully this will reach a stable point and we can venture out on the road this summer.....and did I mention I miss our friends at the pub?

donevwil
03-17-2020, 04:31 PM
My wife and I have put a lot of effort and money into our home office so she could effectively work from home, unfortunately the one thing that never crossed our minds? Both of us working from home.:crap:

I'll do what I can, but may simply come in to the factory at night when few are around (we are a 24/7 facility).

Blue Jays
03-17-2020, 04:34 PM
No need to view 401K and similar investment accounts if not moving anything around. It could be unsettling.
I have no idea of my latest new financial worth...and I am not going to check it, either. Just sit tight for the moment.
If one has a thousand shares of XYZ Widgets, Inc. now, those same shares will still be there if their business remains sound.

temeyone
03-17-2020, 04:53 PM
Ok guys, several of you have reached out about my job loss, and while I am confident I can make it through this more or less ok, I know a lot of the guys in the kitchen, really sweet guys truly, who have sweated and toiled to make the restaurant (Clinton Street Baking Co in NYC's Lower East Side) a world-class attraction, are in a very tough spot. They have no net underneath them, and not nearly enough cash to weather the storm. NYC's govt is absolutely dropping the ball on freezing rents and getting folks covered, so I created a GoFundMe to help them out until that happens (if it ever does).

Anything helps, and it's all going to the guys who need it most. Thanks to everyone expressing concern. You are truly a special bunch.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-the-clinton-street-baking-company-kitchen-out?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_campaign=p_cf+share-flow-1

temeyone
03-17-2020, 05:19 PM
Oh, and even if you can't donate (totally ok!), please share if you feel inclined. These guys are like family to me, and I know they're scared and anxious and feeling really forgotten right now.

Tickdoc
03-17-2020, 05:49 PM
So personally, less of a big deal than it is for others. We're retired, don't eat out a whole lot and like being around each other in our home. Daughter and SiL live in DC with the grandkids, all home at this point, so our primary exposure is to/through them.

But while out riding my custom Pelizzoli today, I gave some thought to the guy who built it. Sr. Pelizzoli was well into his 80's when I visited his shop for measuring in 2015. He's a tough old bird, was still doing all of the steel custom stuff, a cancer survivor. But at this point he's gotta be 90 or so, and he's in Bergamo, which was one of the first areas to be quarantined. Unfortunately, communication with the shop is bad at the best of times, now...no news at all. So hey, best of luck to him.

Love this post and love that bike/story/man. Also love my pelizzoli’s built Ciocc. It planes😏

XXtwindad
03-17-2020, 06:38 PM
Ok guys, several of you have reached out about my job loss, and while I am confident I can make it through this more or less ok, I know a lot of the guys in the kitchen, really sweet guys truly, who have sweated and toiled to make the restaurant (Clinton Street Baking Co in NYC's Lower East Side) a world-class attraction, are in a very tough spot. They have no net underneath them, and not nearly enough cash to weather the storm. NYC's govt is absolutely dropping the ball on freezing rents and getting folks covered, so I created a GoFundMe to help them out until that happens (if it ever does).

Anything helps, and it's all going to the guys who need it most. Thanks to everyone expressing concern. You are truly a special bunch.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-the-clinton-street-baking-company-kitchen-out?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_campaign=p_cf+share-flow-1

Thanks for posting this. Really helpful. I got a little taste of fear when this started breaking. And I'm luckier than many. Happy to help.

joosttx
03-17-2020, 07:11 PM
We will call their generation "Coronials"...

Sorry, it's one of those funny / not-funny things.

We still talk about the PTSD for kids (now great grandparents) who lived through the great depression. I hope this isn't that, but there are a lot of young minds being imprinted right now with fear.

My Great grandfather died DP from Spanish Flu which resulted in my grandmother being dropped off in an orphanage. That sense of loss and anxiety has gone through generations as a result.

p nut
03-17-2020, 07:32 PM
Nice little side effect from all of this.

Pollution output map in China.

Louis
03-17-2020, 07:48 PM
Nice little side effect from all of this.

Pollution output map in China.

Makes you wonder how many deaths will not happen due to the temporary reduction in pollution.

Either way it's not a happy story - if it saves many lives, that shows you how bad pollution is, and if it's just a few lives, that's also unfortunate.

Likes2ridefar
03-17-2020, 08:27 PM
I am work at home until further notice, and my wife is a teacher and all schools are closed so she teaches our little one in kindergarten at home.

We were out of town last week off the grid when the stuff went down and returned to chaos. As a result, we have no toilet paper and I’ve given up finding any. Tried maybe ten places the past few days. Nothing.

Our lovely kitten shredded half of our last roll a few days ago. Love him :p

We are also all mildly ill with symptoms of the virus...

Louis
03-17-2020, 08:35 PM
IOur lovely kitten shredded half of our last roll a few days ago. Love him :p

Maybe it's because I'm OK on tp (didn't rush out to buy some - I figure I have at least a month's worth) but my #1 concern is potentially getting so sick that I can't be home to take care of my cats. And happily, neither Nyx, nor Nellie shred the tp...

unterhausen
03-17-2020, 08:35 PM
Did you try to get TP at lowe's/home depot?

Likes2ridefar
03-17-2020, 08:43 PM
Did you try to get TP at lowe's/home depot?

I did not. Didn’t know they sold it. Thanks for the tip I will try them now.

Louis
03-17-2020, 08:44 PM
We were out of town last week off the grid when the stuff went down and returned to chaos

This is an interesting story: https://nyti.ms/390eFmq

(A bunch of folks who just returned from a 25-day rafting trip on the Colorado, and had zero clue what was happening in the rest of the world.

"Every time Zach Edler sets out on a rafting trip — out on the water for days, away from phones, an internet connection and the rest of the world — the question comes up.

“Somebody would always joke and say, ‘What if we come back to a world where nothing is the same?’” Mr. Edler told me recently. “Of course, it never happens. Except for this time. This time it did.”

blantonator
03-17-2020, 09:03 PM
Was not feeling great Monday; shortness of breath, chest pains, dry cough, sore throat. Doctor said I likely had low-grade symptoms of Covid, but there is still no testings here in Seattle. Overall feeling pretty okay and will continue to self quarantine.

Louis
03-17-2020, 09:08 PM
Bummer. How quickly did the symptoms happen? (From feeling perfectly OK, to Monday?)

Spdntrxi
03-17-2020, 09:18 PM
Was not feeling great Monday; shortness of breath, chest pains, dry cough, sore throat. Doctor said I likely had low-grade symptoms of Covid, but there is still no testings here in Seattle. Overall feeling pretty okay and will continue to self quarantine.

you have to be rich and famous to get tested nowadays.

Likes2ridefar
03-17-2020, 09:20 PM
you have to be rich and famous to get tested nowadays.

Or live in more forward thinking countries like Singapore.

Ps no TP in Lowe’s or the depot in scottsdale!

Louis
03-17-2020, 09:34 PM

Your schedule permitting, try places like Walmart early in the morning. Not my favorite store in the world, but they are pretty good at managing their supply chain. Now they need to start limiting how much each person can buy.

Likes2ridefar
03-17-2020, 09:38 PM
Your schedule permitting, try places like Walmart early in the morning. Not my favorite store in the world, but they are pretty good at managing their supply chain. Now they need to start limiting how much each person can buy.

If it means not cracking open our nice stock of blue colored paper towels I reserve for cleaning the bike (they sure are durable!) I will happily enter a Walmart for the first time in many years!

tuxbailey
03-17-2020, 09:40 PM

Is there any Asian or Latino grocery stores near you? I have found Charmin Ultra Soft as well as Cottonelle (the good stuff) in our local LA Mart as late as last Thursday when it was out everywhere. It might be too late now but it is worth a shot. But the LA Mart is in the poorer part of our city.

Good luck. May not be too late to install a bidet in the house.

Dave B
03-17-2020, 09:49 PM
School is closed until at least early April - we will be planning online learning for later this week by Wednesday. Our kids all are supposed to have Chromebooks but there will be opportunities for smartphone and paper packet pickup as well.

Expecting cancellation or some other modification/rescheduling of statewide testing.

We are staying home and avoiding all scheduled events except for doctor appointments and necessary shopping items.

Going to the bank to get a small amount of cash as we plan to support some local restaurants who have been mandated to do take-out or delivery only by the Commonwealth of MA. These locals need our help to survive and while it won’t be every night, once or twice per week seems worth a try.

After that, I will dust off the trainer, do household cleanups and chores, and basically hang out with my wife.

BK

This in a nut shell. e-learning with 75 of my 6th graders who all have ipads and little desire to follow simple change.

My amazement at the simplicity I have had to make for them is still over their heads. Same with my wife, but 50 total 5th graders. My son's 2nd grade teacher is giving hours of work each day, which is against district policy, but we refuse to complain as we are at home with him and helping him learn...which is cool for us weirdo teachers.

I have redone my basement shop to an entirely new level of coolness and realize I might have over done it these past 24 months with um..."collecting" as my wife puts it.

I just find great old, to some, but the stuff I wanted back in the day I couldn't afford until a decade or two passed, stuff (you know, quick release rim brake wheel, 10 speed, less custom geo/frames, but I admit I have a disc cross bike and two e-shifting bikes).

That and the Star Wars updates to the room have made for a few fun days.\

I hate riding indoors more and more though. I just cannot get into it. I feel so weird, like I know I am "riding" although it feels like a chore.

Dave B
03-17-2020, 09:52 PM
If it means not cracking open our nice stock of blue colored paper towels I reserve for cleaning the bike (they sure are durable!) I will happily enter a Walmart for the first time in many years!

I didn't think Scottsdale allowed such buffoonery-like stores inside their city limits. ;)

Poppycock!

I kid, I kid! sort of.

Likes2ridefar
03-17-2020, 09:55 PM
I didn't think Scottsdale allowed such buffoonery-like stores inside their city limits. ;)

Poppycock!

I kid, I kid! sort of.

I will be embarking upon a terrifying journey a few miles west to inner city Phoenix!

Dave B
03-17-2020, 10:14 PM
I will be embarking upon a terrifying journey a few miles west to inner city Phoenix!

Ok phew, I have been in the area a few times as a kid and college grad, so it has been awhile, but I will say Scottsdale is amazingly beautiful. Glad to hear things haven't changed. :banana:;)

I keep telling my wife we need to head SW to retire, whenever we are able to, but she wants Florida. I have to figure out a way to brainwash her as those horrible Hurricanes don't seem to phase her at all.

Plus, no salt water air on the Shelby and metal bikes would be nice.

Clean39T
03-17-2020, 11:02 PM
Welp, thought we were going to be okay in our high-rise - relying on deliveries and such so we could limit exposure to other residents and shelter in place while continuing to work 50+/hrs remotely as I usually do. But we just got word late today that our management company is closing their office and will no longer facilitate deliveries to the building (I'm assuming USPS has access still) or our secure package room. They said they are going to keep cleaning staff going - which I have yet to see evidence of.. Our building is 22 stories (17 residential), probably 300+ units. All "amenities" are already closed. They also abdicated any responsibility to let residents know if other residents are C-19+ or under quarantine - just said "please follow the CDC guidelines". Seems residents have stopped caring about the rules too - lots of weed smoke wafting into our place and cigarette smoke when we try to open our windows - guess people gotta cope, but sucks when your partner has asthma. We are paying buckets of ducats to be here. And we've been making the best of it - stocking up so we have minimal trips to make and using the stairs as much as possible (can only get down/out with them, not up). Thankfully we are just on a month-to-month lease and are renting a furnished unit (was just supposed to be a couple months here while house-searching), so getting out isn't going to be that hard.. Currently combing Craigs, AirBnB and anywhere else to try to find something. Of course it's crazy time trying to find anything other than apartments in high-rises here - especially when you have a feline friend. Oi. I know, first world problems, etc. - I'm very thankful to have a job and the means to have this roof over my head - still, the question was asked, and there's the answer..

Would be curious what other condo/apartment dwellers are experiencing, especially in high-rise setups.

Likes2ridefar
03-17-2020, 11:08 PM
Ok phew, I have been in the area a few times as a kid and college grad, so it has been awhile, but I will say Scottsdale is amazingly beautiful. Glad to hear things haven't changed. :banana:;)

I keep telling my wife we need to head SW to retire, whenever we are able to, but she wants Florida. I have to figure out a way to brainwash her as those horrible Hurricanes don't seem to phase her at all.

Plus, no salt water air on the Shelby and metal bikes would be nice.

IMO no comparison, mountains, endless cycling paths, no humidity or bugs, sunny nearly every day minus the storms...

I won’t be heading back East, unless it’s way past the US in EU or the opposite in SE Asia.

Likes2ridefar
03-17-2020, 11:13 PM
Welp, thought we were going to be okay in our high-rise - relying on deliveries and such so we could limit exposure to other residents and shelter in place while continuing to work 50+/hrs remotely as I usually do. But we just got word late today that our management company is closing their office and will no longer facilitate deliveries to the building (I'm assuming USPS has access still) or our secure package room. They said they are going to keep cleaning staff going - which I have yet to see evidence of.. Our building is 22 stories (17 residential), probably 300+ units. All "amenities" are already closed. They also abdicated any responsibility to let residents know if other residents are C-19+ or under quarantine - just said "please follow the CDC guidelines". Seems residents have stopped caring about the rules too - lots of weed smoke wafting into our place and cigarette smoke when we try to open our windows - guess people gotta cope, but sucks when your partner has asthma. We are paying buckets of ducats to be here. Thankfully we are just on a month-to-month lease and are renting a furnished unit.. Currently combing Craigs, AirBnB and anywhere else to try to find something. Of course it's crazy time trying to find anything other than apartments in high-rises here - especially when you have a feline friend. Oi. I know, first world problems, etc. - I'm very thankful to have a job and the means to have this roof over my head - still, the question was asked, and there's the answer..

Our amenities were closed a few days ago too. And I was joking before that after returning from our trip, what a shame to be quarantined in a place similar to most tropical luxury resorts...now we are stuck on our 50 foot wide terrace overlooking the mountains with no toilet paper.

Clean39T
03-17-2020, 11:19 PM
Our amenities were closed a few days ago too. And I was joking before that after returning from our trip, what a shame to be quarantined in a place similar to most tropical luxury resorts...now we are stuck on our 50 foot wide terrace overlooking the mountains with no toilet paper.

Could care less about the amenities - it's the general upkeep of the building and facilitating people being able to live here through this..

Hilltopperny
03-18-2020, 03:31 AM

If there isn’t any tp then maybe a sprayer would be a good option. My wife and I use cloth diapers for our son and bought one that I installed last year. Never thought it’d be useful otherwise, but if we do run out of tp it will be.

Tandem Rider
03-18-2020, 06:34 AM
My son and I do Supermarket refrigeration service and repair for a large company so my son and I are considered "Essential". Logically, the harder a piece of equipment gets used, the more often it breaks down. For the last 3-4 weeks we are working sun up to way past sundown. Last Thursday I worked a 9 hour day, and it felt like a part-time job. We are essentially, on the front lines without the protections that health care and other essential services get. I fully expect both of us to get it, fortunately, everyone in our family is low risk and very healthy and should recover fine.

CAAD
03-18-2020, 07:13 AM
My fiance's company come April 1st is putting everyone on furlough. At least they are paying for benefits. My income will be severely affected being in the RV industry. Again thank God for savings.

unterhausen
03-18-2020, 07:35 AM
We are essentially, on the front lines without the protections that health care and other essential services get. I fully expect both of us to get it, fortunately, everyone in our family is low risk and very healthy and should recover fine.
I was traversing an empty meat department in a grocery yesterday, and someone came up to a store worker and asked them if they had something (obviously not) and coughed on the worker, uncovered
We're going to need the grocery workers to be healthy, TYVM

jr59
03-18-2020, 07:48 AM
Hmmm... how has this effected me?...... not very well. As some on here know, I just made it back from death’s door. I mean really the Grim Reaper type of stuff. Finally well enough to ride and build up strength. Find employment that I’m good at and pays fairly.

Beer virus comes along and I get laid off. And my Dr called to remind me that my immune system is not good at all because of my treatments. Not bad, but not strong as most. So I’m still riding my bike, best I can, and stuck in the house.

So yes it has had an effect on me personally, and not just running short on TP stuff.

Elefantino
03-18-2020, 07:50 AM
The shop(s) have made a decision to stay open, regular hours, but to take aggressive cleaning precautions with alcohol and bleach. All bikes test-ridden will be cleaned thoroughly. We're asking customers not to touch anything they can ask us to get for them.

And we're all wearing gloves so the cleaning products don't eat our hands.

We're still taking cash, though.

At my son's wine store in Brooklyn they've gone to delivery only. They're not even letting people inside.

Elefantino
03-18-2020, 07:53 AM
Hmmm... how has this effected me?...... not very well. As some on here know, I just made it back from death’s door. I mean really the Grim Reaper type of stuff. Finally well enough to ride and build up strength. Find employment that I’m good at and pays fairly.

Beer virus comes along and I get laid off. And my Dr called to remind me that my immune system is not good at all because of my treatments. Not bad, but not strong as most. So I’m still riding my bike, best I can, and stuck in the house.

So yes it has had an effect on me personally, and not just running short on TP stuff.
Sorry to hear it, JR. Hang in there.

Are group rides in the area still happening? I wonder, too, about Amateur RoadNats in Clay County in June. Probably not going to happen.

jr59
03-18-2020, 07:57 AM
Sorry to hear it, JR. Hang in there.

Are group rides in the area still happening? I wonder, too, about Amateur RoadNats in Clay County in June. Probably not going to happen.

No idea really. I haven’t been even able to ride in a group in a LONG time. Fighting for your life sort of takes the fun out of it. And now, I’m not strong enough to ride with any group.

Sorry I don’t have an answer for you

Mikej
03-18-2020, 08:02 AM

Why is it terrifying?

p nut
03-18-2020, 08:50 AM
As if all of this weren’t enough, 5.7 earthquake hits near Salt Lake this morning. My office building has been evacuated for the day. Friend at the airport says ceiling tiles falling and water lines breaking.

https://www.ksl.com/article/46731610/earthquake-updates-57-magnitude-shake-hits-utah-airport-evacuated

colker
03-18-2020, 09:01 AM
I was about to travel to see my son and had to cancel everything at the last moment. Now we are isolated here, in quarentine.

unterhausen
03-18-2020, 09:03 AM
As if all of this weren’t enough, 5.7 earthquake hits near Salt Lake this morning. My office building has been evacuated for the day. Friend at the airport says ceiling tiles falling and water lines breaking.
That was always my nightmare before we sold our house in Utah. A lot of the houses there are pretty much built on sand.

Likes2ridefar
03-18-2020, 10:36 AM
Why is it terrifying?

I was kidding.

Mikej
03-18-2020, 12:03 PM
I was kidding.

Ok, I thought there was something happening.

XXtwindad
03-18-2020, 12:04 PM
Went to TJs today, and it was a gratifying experience. Not only have they done the "ten in & ten out" thing right, but the whole store has a very mellow non-panicked vibe. Fully stocked and orderly. People thanking each other. What a welcome relief from the Internet and media ****storm.

A few other random notes:

1) I selected two cheeses and realized I only needed one. But, given the tenor of the times, I felt guilty about putting it back. So I bought it anyway.

2) They have a limit on rice, pasta, beans, and a few other things. Not on potato chips. So I bought three bags of their Hawaiian BBQ chips. AKA some of the best chips in the world. Now, if the reports of people hoarding weed is true, the prohibition on chips may take effect :)

3) Saw a few ostensibly healthy people with masks. Still creeps me out a bit. This one guy (appeared to be mid-thirties as most) gave everyone a VERY wide berth and quickly darted in and out to get what he wanted. I call that neurotic. Others can call it something else.

4) The absence of cars is amazing. Very calming effect on the urban landscape in general. What a blight they are.

5) I'm training people remotely, working out on my exercise bike, and reading. That's it. I'm going to be in tip-top shape when this is all over. And then, I'm going to Oregon to scratch a bucket list ride off. I'm going to call on a Paceline buddy.
And somewhere along the McKenzie Pass, AndySti is going to holler at me "hey, man, slow down a bit. Wait for me." Hahaha...

kevinvc
03-18-2020, 12:54 PM
My daughter had a mental health crisis last week and is still in acute distress / risk. They've changed her medication, which won't help for a couple of weeks (if at all). Normally they would be treating her with intensive out-patient care, i.e. three day a week in office therapy. But because of limited access to their facilities and redirecting resources to other areas, this isn't available to her.

The result is watching her suffer and requiring either my wife or I to be home to keep an eye on her 24/7. The second part isn't difficult since my office is mandatory teleworking right now. The first part is heart-wrenching. They're trying to figure out video counseling right now, but we all know that it will have limited efficacy.

My mother-in-law lives with us and is very high risk. Her doctor was going to set her up to start dialysis in the next couple of weeks but that has been put on hold. They consider surgery to insert the fistula to be elective, so it's not currently allowed. She will be able to get it if her kidney functioning decreases. But to track that she has to have blood draws and they've told her not to go to the lab more than once a month because of exposure risk.

The virus is having very distressing, though tangential effects on us.

C40_guy
03-18-2020, 01:03 PM
My daughter had a mental health crisis last week and is still in acute distress / risk. They've changed her medication, which won't help for a couple of weeks (if at all). Normally they would be treating her with intensive out-patient care, i.e. three day a week in office therapy. But because of limited access to their facilities and redirecting resources to other areas, this isn't available to her.

The result is watching her suffer and requiring either my wife or I to be home to keep an eye on her 24/7. The second part isn't difficult since my office is mandatory teleworking right now. The first part is heart-wrenching. They're trying to figure out video counseling right now, but we all know that it will have limited efficacy.

My mother-in-law lives with us and is very high risk. Her doctor was going to set her up to start dialysis in the next couple of weeks but that has been put on hold. They consider surgery to insert the fistula to be elective, so it's not currently allowed. She will be able to get it if her kidney functioning decreases. But to track that she has to have blood draws and they've told her not to go to the lab more than once a month because of exposure risk.

You have a lot going on. Just wanted to acknowledge that and to let you know we're listening.

colker
03-18-2020, 01:15 PM
People are volunteering here to help elders by doing their market shopping. It´s happening on each building as commitees.

AngryScientist
03-18-2020, 01:22 PM
man kevin, hang in there bud. that's a full plate.

Spdntrxi
03-18-2020, 01:30 PM
People are volunteering here to help elders by doing their market shopping. It´s happening on each building as commitees.

my wife is doing that for her mom and her mom's friends who are 85+

AngryScientist
03-18-2020, 01:32 PM
on a plus note here, whole foods has delivery spots open again, with most of the stuff we would like to have available for delivery.

i was thinking either me or my wife would need to make a grocery run early next week, but seems we can get the food brought to us.

this is good news and a signal that the food stores are now rebounding from the initial hoarding wave, and at least the anxiety over food/basic supplies may calm down.

tuxbailey
03-18-2020, 01:35 PM
Word of advise. If you do online grocery delivery (e.g. instacart) you should order way ahead. I made an order from Costco on Monday (not even paper goods or frozen meat) and the delivery date kept pushing back and now I am looking at a Saturday delivery, if that happens.

wc1934
03-18-2020, 01:41 PM

Man, you have a lot going on. Wishing you all the best. Stay strong.

C40_guy
03-18-2020, 01:44 PM
on a plus note here, whole foods has delivery spots open again, with most of the stuff we would like to have available for delivery.

Both Whole Foods and Stop & Shop locally have announced morning "senior hours" so the 60+ crowd can shop early, when shelves may be most fully stocked (and the stores will be less crowded.)

(Not necessarily relevant to @AngryScientist, I'm assuming. :) )

colker
03-18-2020, 01:57 PM
Both Whole Foods and Stop & Shop locally have announced morning "senior hours" so the 60+ crowd can shop early, when shelves may be most fully stocked (and the stores will be less crowded.)

(Not necessarily relevant to @AngryScientist, I'm assuming. :) )

Helping each other is the new black.

Ozz
03-18-2020, 01:59 PM

i was thinking either me or my wife would need to make a grocery run early next week, but seems we can get the food brought to us.

this is good news and a signal that the food stores are now rebounding from the initial hoarding wave, and at least the anxiety over food/basic supplies may calm down.
Just placed an order with QFC (local Kroger Co. grocery store)...no spots open until Saturday evening...should be OK until then....apparently we are running out of ice cream and lemon pound cake for the boys.:cool:

Keith A
03-18-2020, 02:05 PM
They just announces that all Brevard County FL beaches will be closed starting on Thursday. I wonder if they will really drag us out of the water if we are surfing. Seems pretty difficult for one surfer to infect another one when they are out in the water.

temeyone
03-18-2020, 04:07 PM
Reposting this for anyone interested:

C40_guy
03-18-2020, 04:19 PM
Just placed an order with QFC (local Kroger Co. grocery store)...no spots open until Saturday evening...should be OK until then....apparently we are running out of ice cream and lemon pound cake for the boys.:cool:

Picked up ice cream during my last grocery run, first thing Sunday morning.

Today I stopped at the local packie and picked up a 12 pack of Fat Tire Ale. How appropriate!

Clean39T
03-18-2020, 05:02 PM
Me right now..

.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200318/9f06d5bdaa384498c098780177f2f265.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Llewellyn
03-18-2020, 05:02 PM
I had someone deliberately move away from me as we passed each other on my walk this morning. At first I was a bit offended until I realised she was probably just social distancing.

Still seems a bit silly to me.

AngryScientist
03-18-2020, 05:04 PM
maybe XXtwin can shed some light on this one:

i want to know what gyms are doing for their employees?

most who belong to a gym are probably in the same boat as me. your membership fees are auto charged to a CC every month and that's that. now that my gym is closed for the foreseeable future, i'm not about to demand a refund, unless they are not paying their employees through the downtime.

it would be a huge profit windfall for a gym to continue to collect membership fees and not pay employees right?

anyone know? i'm planning on asking my gym just this question.

i'm happy to continue to pay my monthly fee if the staff is still on the payroll.

AngryScientist
03-18-2020, 05:08 PM
Me right now..
k

in situations like this, and other high stress situations, i find it's hugely important to be physically tired at the end of a day.

it's really easy to be mentally exhausted when you're stressed and you cant put your mind on "off" - but if you maintain a good program of cardio, and exhaust yourself physically also, at least you can sleep.

that's my play. i'm kind of like a dog.

a tired dog is a good dog.

Clean39T
03-18-2020, 05:13 PM
in situations like this, and other high stress situations, i find it's hugely important to be physically tired at the end of a day.

it's really easy to be mentally exhausted when you're stressed and you cant put your mind on "off" - but if you maintain a good program of cardio, and exhaust yourself physically also, at least you can sleep.

that's my play. i'm kind of like a dog.

a tired dog is a good dog.

And a tired cat is just lulling you into a false sense of security..

d_douglas
03-18-2020, 05:13 PM
We have a university student in our little basement suite. As the university has now shut down officially and all remaining courses are online, he has asked to break his lease a month early to get outta town and go back to his family home (in a remote little town).

It seems our moral obligation to allow him to leave early with no penalty, as he is a poor student.

Just doing our part :)

paredown
03-18-2020, 05:43 PM
We have a university student in our little basement suite. As the university has now shut down officially and all remaining courses are online, he has asked to break his lease a month early to get outta town and go back to his family home (in a remote little town).

It seems our moral obligation to allow him to leave early with no penalty, as he is a poor student.

The good folks answer--thanks for being a mensch.

(I still am annoyed when I had a similar situation while in Grad school, and got zero understanding from the landlord.)

XXtwindad
03-18-2020, 07:17 PM

most who belong to a gym are probably in the same boat as me. your membership fees are auto charged to a CC every month and that's that. now that my gym is closed for the foreseeable future, i'm not about to demand a refund, unless they are not paying their employees through the downtime.

it would be a huge profit windfall for a gym to continue to collect membership fees and not pay employees right?

i'm happy to continue to pay my monthly fee if the staff is still on the payroll.

That's a good question. I really don't know the answer to that. I work at a gym with all private trainers. We are not employees of the gym. I have switched to training remotely, which seems to be working out well for the time being.

I do appreciate your concern for the employees of the gym. I think it's that level of "pocketbook empathy" that's going to help us weather the storm. In general, this pandemic has made me much more attuned to the plights of small businesses. I think we should have much more safeguards in place for small businesses. I'm not an economist, so I don't know what that looks like.

But I do know that when this ****storm passes, I'm looking forward to getting my hair cut by the local barber, visiting my favorite pastry shop, and getting my bikes tuned up by the local mechs.

XXtwindad
03-18-2020, 07:18 PM

Thanks.

joosttx
03-18-2020, 07:24 PM

My health club is closed at the moment. They sent an email saying that they intend to pay their employees and kindly asked the patrons to choose no refund, a 50% refund or a full refund. The bottom line is they are asking the customers to fund their employees during the close which I get but also they can get a 30-year small business loan to bridge too.

"Our goal is to continue employment and pay our Associates their wages and health insurance during the time that services are suspended at our clubs. We are attempting to maintain a certain amount of revenue coming in from our loyal membership base to cover a fraction of the pay for our front-line Associates—housekeeping, service providers, front desk staff, and managers—to support their families. After considering quite a few options, we would like to propose the following three:

Continue to pay full dues during the time that club services are suspended
Pay 50% of your monthly dues while club services are suspended
Pay $0 dues while club services are suspended"

azrider
03-18-2020, 07:27 PM
The hardest part for our household has been the kids (5 and 3) who're home from a cancelled daycare. The wife and I both work in sales and have managed to methodically plan our days : "ok I have 8, 10 and 1 o'clock con calls".........cool I can reschedule my 10 and do 11, 12 and 3".

i don't know how daycare/preschool's do it. It's absolute mayhem.

We've manged so far, but this system is not sustainable. I think we are just going to start burning through sick days and do a "one day I work, the next she works" setup.............

kbone
03-18-2020, 09:27 PM

I've lost faith in our systems ability to effectively respond to this crisis, but I haven't lost faith in humanity.

I've been going into work every day (run IT that supports all the WFH folks) and on my way home every afternoon I see parents walking with their kids, families playing basketball in their driveways, kids exercising with their parents, and generally safe interaction between neighbors. It's a lot like it was when I was a kid before cellphones, computers, the internet, etc.

I also see communities coming together to support each other. Concern and action for those whose jobs are being affected. Care for those who are sick.

People can do really stupid things like hoarding TP, but they can also be thoughtful, caring, kind, and generous. I still have faith.

XXtwindad
03-18-2020, 09:36 PM
My health club is closed at the moment. They sent an email saying that they intend to pay their employees and kindly asked the patrons to choose no refund, a 50% refund or a full refund. The bottom line is they are asking the customers to HELP fund their employees during the close which I get but also they can get a 30-year small business loan to bridge too.

"Our goal is to continue employment and pay our Associates their wages and health insurance during the time that services are suspended at our clubs. We are attempting to maintain a certain amount of revenue coming in from our loyal membership base to cover a fraction of the pay for our front-line Associates—housekeeping, service providers, front desk staff, and managers—to support their families. After considering quite a few options, we would like to propose the following three:

I like AngryScientists response better, with all due respect. Also was missing a word in your response, so I fixed it.

XXtwindad
03-18-2020, 09:50 PM

I consider this nothing short of Patriotic. Small businesses, particularly service businesses such as restaurants, gyms, and arts venues, are being fuc*ed really hard right now.

Louis
03-18-2020, 09:56 PM
Since we're talking about gyms, the one I use at work shut down on Tuesday, so I'm debating whether I should join a "commercial" one (a few are still open) or just exercise at home. I'd much rather do it at a "real" gym, but obviously the risk of catching something there is higher than at home, where presumably it's zero (since I'm single).

Blue Jays
03-18-2020, 10:26 PM
Very good point raised by AngryScientist.
My monthly gym fee is auto-billed to my CC.
I will need to check that those good folks continue to be paid.

Lanternrouge
03-18-2020, 10:49 PM
Since we're talking about gyms, the one I use at work shut down on Tuesday, so I'm debating whether I should join a "commercial" one (a few are still open) or just exercise at home. I'd much rather do it at a "real" gym, but obviously the risk of catching something there is higher than at home, where presumably it's zero (since I'm single).

Probably pretty much a gyms will be affected pretty soon. 24 Hour Fitness has closed and it appears that’s nationally.

marciero
03-19-2020, 05:05 AM
The latest for us is curbside pickup or delivery only at our local local/organic market. Can no longer enter the stores. You call in your order or fill out an online form. I am a lot more comfortable with this than going into stores.

Keith A
03-19-2020, 06:20 AM
This just got a little more real for me. A large tech company, that have quite a few employees locally, reported a case of coronavirus. I have a friend who works there and I was around this friend this weekend :eek:

Octave
03-19-2020, 06:31 AM
Since we're talking about gyms, the one I use at work shut down on Tuesday, so I'm debating whether I should join a "commercial" one (a few are still open) or just exercise at home. I'd much rather do it at a "real" gym, but obviously the risk of catching something there is higher than at home, where presumably it's zero (since I'm single).That's a hard 'NO. Follow the lead of every nation who is aggressively tackling this, even if yours isn't. Going to a commercial gym right now is not just dangerous to you, it is dangerous to every single person that you encounter for the other 23hr of the day that you are not in that gym.

C40_guy
03-19-2020, 06:45 AM
My son and I do Supermarket refrigeration service and repair for a large company so my son and I are considered "Essential".

Stay safe (as safe as you can!)

My daughter has similar exposure...she works with kids with autism and her company still has her doing home visits...she's seeing 2-3 kids a day in their homes. The effing company is doing nothing to protect her...no calling ahead to confirm whether anyone in the house is sick. And she works in a relatively high risk area (Stamford, CT).

She's hourly, so if she doesn't work she doesn't get paid. I'm hoping that the state will tell her company to stop soon, so that she gets furloughed.

It just doesn't make any sense to have people going from one house to another right now... <sigh>

And if she does get sick, as parents, what do we do...stay away and protect ourselves? Go and sit by her bed?

Red Tornado
03-19-2020, 06:56 AM
Covid-19 creeps a little further in every day.

My wife is the administrative assistant at church; full time position. Until the "no gatherings larger than 50" decree is lifted there will be no Sunday services or any other events. This will no doubt be accompanied by a noticeable decrease in giving. A little over half give on-line, the rest are check/cash in the plates. They're expecting the check/cash to go away entirely, and the on-line to drop a little, as well. We typically take in a fair amount more than the budget, so they can pay normal wages for a couple pay periods. Everyone's been told, if this continues longer than that, to expect to go to part-time (50%) wages, and if it continues, at some point no one will get paid. Understandable. Times will be difficult for a while.

So, things are lining up to possibly hit us in the pocketbook. Still, I'm sure my family is better shape than many, so thankful for what we have.

thwart
03-19-2020, 07:01 AM
I've been going into work every day (run IT that supports all the WFH folks) and on my way home every afternoon I see parents walking with their kids, families playing basketball in their driveways, kids exercising with their parents, and generally safe interaction between neighbors. It's a lot like it was when I was a kid before cellphones, computers, the internet, etc.

There is a silver lining here, we just need to have an awareness of it.

colker
03-19-2020, 07:03 AM
Something extraordinary is happening here. It´s political but also about human resillience. Our president has a daily appearance where in front of his accolades he mocks his opposition always in a confronting way. After his entourage arrived from the US w/ 17 people infected, the president kept saying covid was hysteria and media conspiracy while shaking hands w/ the public in a far right rally.
Yesterday a video was released where a young black man, a haitian, confronts a president surrouded by militaries. I checked it to see if it´s a hoax. Seems it´s not. Like a prophet, the haitian tells the president in his heavy accent: it´s over, you are infecting brazilians, you are no longer the president. The president mumbles go back to your country. There is a lot of haitian migrants here running away from the most miserable nation on the planet.
After one year of being humilliated by far righters offending journalists, artists and scientists and no action from any political parties, brazilians woke up w/ the haitian and repeat his words everywhere. This far right presidente was supposed to win the next election. NOw it seems unlikely dur to Corona and the spontaneous reaction of the people.
People can be racist, selfish and refuse to learn but also mysteriously brave, generous, willing to take risks, change history.

colker
03-19-2020, 07:10 AM
I consider this nothing short of Patriotic. Small businesses, particularly service businesses such as restaurants, gyms, and arts venues, are being fuc*ed really hard right now.

My friend who works 12 hrs a day as a free lancer to make ends meet told her once a week maid to stay home but kept paying the wages.
She is afraid of contaminating her maid since the virus is coming from high to low end of society, brought by people who just came from European vacations.
NOt everyone is selfish. Maybe our problem is mankind being too good for this darwinian world, who knows?

colker
03-19-2020, 07:15 AM
My health club is closed at the moment. They sent an email saying that they intend to pay their employees and kindly asked the patrons to choose no refund, a 50% refund or a full refund. The bottom line is they are asking the customers to fund their employees during the close which I get but also they can get a 30-year small business loan to bridge too.

It may be worth giving the gym the benefit of the doubt and help if the crisis did not affect you badly as it did to them.

benb
03-19-2020, 07:26 AM
The hardest part for our household has been the kids (5 and 3) who're home from a cancelled daycare. The wife and I both work in sales and have managed to methodically plan our days : "ok I have 8, 10 and 1 o'clock con calls".........cool I can reschedule my 10 and do 11, 12 and 3".

i don't know how daycare/preschool's do it. It's absolute mayhem.

We've manged so far, but this system is not sustainable. I think we are just going to start burning through sick days and do a "one day I work, the next she works" setup.............

We just have one 7 year old but both of us are expected to be putting in a full WFH week right now.

My work is not real intense right now.. which is actually frustrating.. I am a lot more satisfied/engaged when I'm deep into a problem. I'm most frustrated with my job when I'm doing lots of meetings. Right now I'm doing tons of interviewing as well (we have a lot of open reqs). Interviewing can be depressing as well... too many poor candidates, and we have online tests and such and are detecting a ton of cheating.

My wife has had 2 emergencies/scares.. she's basically doing Covid-19 crisis management.. not in a medical setting but overseeing thousands of apartment units & trying to keep residents & employees safe & happy. She's had 2 false alarms already. One was a resident joking to his roommate that he had Covid-19. The roommate reported the case and stuff started rolling before the resident came clean and said it was a hoax. The other was a hysterical mother who thought her kid had been to the doctor multiple times and was not showing the correct symptoms. (Sounds like the kid has a head cold.) . But the mom was pushing all kinds of buttons and causing a scare in the building.

My kid alternates between doing great & being super obnoxious and going stir crazy. The tough part is we feel guilty doing our work instead of spending time with him. We try to work in periods of the day where we take a break and do home school stuff with him. We're still adapting.

As for the gym discussion.. given the way gyms can be good luck actually getting the automatic ACH deductions to stop before this crisis ends anyway if you were to cancel. It feels like 50% of the time I changed gyms/moves I had difficulty getting scoundrels to stop auto charging me.

I had a climbing gym membership for most of the last year.. I cancelled it January because I have been hurt (overuse from climbing) for a long time, glad I did that before this hit cause I'd feel guilty... they were by far the coolest/nicest gym business I've ever interacted with, not skeevy at all. Climbing gyms have a "day pass" business model on top of membership, people who walked into our gym and wanted to work out one day would pay $20-40 for the day depending on whether they were renting equipment, so the gym was not really dependent on trying to lock as many people into long term memberships as possible and then hope they don't show up.

oldpotatoe
03-19-2020, 07:27 AM
Our president has a daily appearance where in front of his accolades he mocks his opposition always in a confronting way.

People in this 24hr news cycle, are noticing and history will tell the tale, regardless of what hinge neck, good soldiers like lou dobbs says on TTV.

Time to blame the Chinese, along the way to 'but it wasn't my fault'...

colker
03-19-2020, 07:40 AM
People in this 24hr news cycle, are noticing and history will tell the tale, regardless of what hinge neck, good soldiers like lou dobbs says on TTV.

Time to blame the Chinese, along the way to 'but it wasn't my fault'...

It´s time for exceptional leadership, again. Charlatans should step aside.

Keith A
03-19-2020, 07:43 AM
Please keep the politics out of this discussion :no:

C40_guy
03-19-2020, 07:47 AM
There is a silver lining here, we just need to have an awareness of it.

Awareness is going to start with the new baby bumps in about three or four months, then the huge increase in the number of babies at the end of the year.

So much for social distancing. :)

Side note: My son is continuing to date by FaceTime. I guess that's the safe approach, in more ways than one!

exapkib
03-19-2020, 07:54 AM
After my first full day of 'classes' yesterday (college-level language classes are not easily transferred online in the middle of a semester), I am struck by the impact of all of this on my students.

My younger students (sophomores with a couple of freshmen sprinkled in) were largely upbeat, though clearly shaken by the uncertainty of the situation.

My foreign students are in a really difficult situation--many of them are on student visas that expire at the end of the semester, but they are unable to travel to their home countries because borders are closed and airlines have cancelled flights. Nobody knows exactly what will happen to them in three weeks when the semester ends.

The students in my senior capstone research seminar were the most affected. Not only is it unclear how one completes a research project in the humanities without access to a research library, but they are facing so many cancellations: convocation, summer internships, graduate programs (outside the US).

Yesterday's earthquake (in SLC) means that many students who were expecting to return home had flights cancelled indefinitely. Rumors of a nation-wide SIP have them anxious about missing their chance to travel home before such movement is further restricted.

The mental and emotional toll on these young people is hard to overestimate--college students often feel like their entire future hinges on their success at each stage of the process. I'm hoping that somehow we can shape this disruption into a lesson about how untrue (yet tempting) that way of thinking is. I'm desperate to help these students discover untapped reservoirs of resilience through this experience, but for now I'm mostly just in listening mode--there will be time to analyze and work through things later.

oldpotatoe
03-19-2020, 07:59 AM
Yesterday it dawned on my 6yo and 8yo grand daughters, who both have birthdays coming up..that they will be family only affairs..plus each had their 'sport' cancelled..tough on them. Trying to keep upbeat with them, but they are confused and not happy campers. The rumor is that both girl's school will be online until the end of the year...

XXtwindad
03-19-2020, 08:41 AM
It may be worth giving the gym the benefit of the doubt and help if the crisis did not affect you badly as it did to them.

Yes. "How can I help?" is the way forward. Too much "Let them eat cake," and we're doomed.

itsflantastic
03-19-2020, 08:47 AM
We're kicking off potty training this week whether my just-turned-2 y.o. likes it or not as someone seems to have stolen our diaper delivery off the front porch. Next order won't arrive until Mid-April.

Fortunately, we've been slowly working up to this for a while and he is already mostly successful gettin' that peepee in the potty. I think it's funny. He stands up on the toilet seat and yells with an elvis-like swagger "Hey, Peepee! Come out!" : )

Anyway...

that's an unexpected way we were just impacted. But I gotta figure if someone took them they must really need them, so there it is.

XXtwindad
03-19-2020, 08:57 AM
We're kicking off potty training this week whether my just-turned-2 y.o. likes it or not as someone seems to have stolen our diaper delivery off the front porch. Next order won't arrive until Mid-April.

Fortunately, we've been slowly working up to this for a while and he is already mostly successful gettin' that peepee in the potty. I think it's funny. He stands up on the toilet seat and yells with an elvis-like swagger "Hey, Peepee! Come out!" : )

Anyway...

that's an unexpected way we were just impacted. But I gotta figure if someone took them they must really need them, so there it is.

Haha. Congrats on another milestone. And for being sanguine about the diapers being ripped off.

This pandemic has brought into sharp relief a process that already underway: being grateful for what I have. There has been ample opportunity for improvement as a Father and as a friend/partner, to put things mildly. I'm being given the opportunity to hit the "reset" button, and I'm going to try to make the best of it.

C40_guy
03-19-2020, 10:24 AM
This pandemic has brought into sharp relief a process that already underway: being grateful for what I have. There has been ample opportunity for improvement as a Father and as a friend/partner, to put things mildly. I'm being given the opportunity to hit the "reset" button, and I'm going to try to make the best of it.

Well said!

adrien
03-19-2020, 10:32 AM
It's a tough time for me because my divorce is being finalized after about 4 years of hell and one of separation. So there's the dreams about that, and now about this.

Trying to do my bit. I don't see a downturn in my own income being likely, so I'm doing my best to support local. For example, one of my favorite causal chains is run by a guy who also has a cycling team, and their food is great so...I just picked up a gift card with a big balance on it.

Trying to exercise, and get in rides and runs. It's going okay, but the seasonal allergies along with my brain keep convincing me that my cough isn't due to all the pollen in the air.

I'm at risk due to bad lungs, and my usual shelter (vaguely interesting intellectualism on NPR) has been overrun with anxiety-provocation 24/7. Star Trek marathons help, as does snuggling with the dog.

C40_guy
03-19-2020, 10:35 AM
I'm at risk due to bad lungs, and my usual shelter (vaguely interesting intellectualism on NPR) has been overrun with anxiety-provocation 24/7. Star Trek marathons help, as does snuggling with the dog.

+1 for the dog.

And yea, NPR has gone largely single track.

Lots of good podcasts to replace on the air stuff... :)

buddybikes
03-19-2020, 11:04 AM
Two dogs even better! Our daughter stuck in Nashville desperately wants to get home and hug/play with the pups

Ozz
03-19-2020, 11:18 AM
...as does snuggling with the dog.
Our dog does not see a downside to being locked down....all her people are home where she can keep an eye on them and keep them safe!

p nut
03-19-2020, 11:59 AM
I’m not a sports but. But greatly missing the NBA, among other sports.

Maybe this partially/temporarily fills the void for some. Very well done for what it is.

https://youtu.be/O2AbcCbyJ2U

Red Tornado
03-20-2020, 07:29 AM
Youngest son works at the Magnolia Silos (currently closed) and told us they had enough "busy work" this week and next. After that, if they can't re-open they're going to send the troops home. He's got a few week's worth of PTO, but like most of us, would rather use it at the time of HIS choosing. Still, beats the unemployment line.

Covid-19 creeps in a little more.....

Jaybee
03-20-2020, 07:45 AM
I’m not a sports but. But greatly missing the NBA, among other sports.

Maybe this partially/temporarily fills the void for some. Very well done for what it is.

https://youtu.be/O2AbcCbyJ2U

Marblelympics! Amazing!

If you are really missing the NBA, league pass is free now and playing some great games of the past.

I got to relive Klay’s league changing G6 in OKC the other day.

XXtwindad
03-20-2020, 07:55 AM
Marblelympics! Amazing!

If you are really missing the NBA, league pass is free now and playing some great games of the past.

I got to relive Klay’s league changing G6 in OKC the other day.

Just wondering if you or anyone has any favorite ESPN "30 for 30" episodes. There was a great one on the legendary Yugoslavian BB team of the late 80s/ early 90s that was fractured by the war. Divac, Kukoc, Petrovic. Really a compelling documentary.

benb
03-20-2020, 08:11 AM
You know what's frustrating about all this with the work from home angle.

Everyone at work seems to think this is a great excuse to create so many meetings that we're all tied up in meetings all day and nothing gets done.

It's freakin horrible.

I am not a manager, I'm still considered an individual contributor.

Monday I have 7 meetings, including 3 made by the same project manager at the *same time*. He can't even go to all 3 meetings he booked simultaneously!

I've been averaging at least 4 hours of meetings a day, mostly useless.

peanutgallery
03-20-2020, 08:46 AM
Commonwealth of Pennsyltucky is on essential businesses only ...and this time they mean it. Clarification of the order from earlier in the week, they will start padlocking and fining scofflaw businesses at midnight tonight. Shelter in place is coming soon I would assume

Wonder what the unemployment rate is looking like today? Lots of the financially solvent from last weekend are staring at their bellybuttons this morning. Consider yourself blessed/lucky if your employer can afford to keep you around thru all of this. This has been a kick in the crotch with a steel toed boot for anyone associated with a small business

Dave
03-20-2020, 08:56 AM
Our grocery stores are reserving the hour of 7-8 am for those 60 and older to have a chance at getting some toilet paper and eggs. There are still a lot of empty shelves due to all of the hoarding. Sales of toilet paper are being limited to one package per household. Without that limit, people wait in line to enter the store when it opens and snatch up all that's left in a matter of minutes.

Red Tornado
03-20-2020, 08:59 AM
Our grocery stores are reserving the hour of 7-8 am for those 60 and older to have a chance at getting some toilet paper and eggs. There are still a lot of empty shelves due to all of the hoarding. Sales of toilet paper are being limited to one package per household. Without that a limit, people wait in line to enter the store when it opens and snatch up all that's left in a matter of minutes.

Doing the same here. Waco, TX.

PaMtbRider
03-20-2020, 09:07 AM
Commonwealth of Pennsyltucky is on essential businesses only ...and this time they mean it. Clarification of the order from earlier in the week, they will start padlocking and fining scofflaw businesses at midnight tonight. Shelter in place is coming soon I would assume

Wonder what the unemployment rate is looking like today? Lots of the financially solvent from last weekend are staring at their bellybuttons this morning. Consider yourself blessed/lucky if your employer can afford to keep you around thru all of this. This has been a kick in the crotch with a steel toed boot for anyone associated with a small business

I work at the Harley-Davidson factory in York. HD decided to shut down Wednesday, prior to the governor mandate. They were keeping maintenance in the plant to do some much needed work. Last night they sent us home at 8pm after the governor mandate. I guess I need to file for unemployment sometime today.

My wife works back office for a local credit union. She is still going to work, but is getting set up with a laptop and voip phone to be able to work from home.

AngryScientist
03-20-2020, 10:30 AM
in the name of core strength and monotony break-up, i have just decided that i will spend 60 seconds of every 60 minutes spent WFH in the plank position.

who else is up for this challenge?

Jaybee
03-20-2020, 10:49 AM
in the name of core strength and monotony break-up, i have just decided that i will spend 60 seconds of every 60 minutes spent WFH in the plank position.

In.

I'm also doing 5 min of meditation in the morning and 5 in the afternoon if anyone wants to join me in that.

unterhausen
03-20-2020, 11:19 AM
Everyone at work seems to think this is a great excuse to create so many meetings that we're all tied up in meetings all day and nothing gets done.
My wife was in meetings all day on Wednesday. I think they might have been necessary because they can't see patients now that the students have been sent home. But it did seem a little excessive anyway.

ltwtsculler91
03-20-2020, 11:37 AM

Sign me up for this.

We're all still working, hunkered down at my parents place and the girlfriend and I along with both my parents are work from home. My father works in manufacturing (clothing) and does a lot in China which he said is starting to return to normal now (factory workers back and getting ready to work) so it seems like if we can get this all together with shutdowns and distancing we may weather the storm in the next few weeks...

That said, I know we're all quite lucky to be able to work from home in all of our jobs. I know we have concern where I work that our warehouse and manufacturing located in NY may have to close down this week with the governors new order as we're on the edge of what may be allowed to stay open or not depending on rules.

joosttx
03-20-2020, 11:53 AM

we are holding plank competitions in our house. My son is killing everyone. His best time thus far is 4:16. He is nine. :eek:

estilley
03-20-2020, 11:57 AM

It's freakin horrible.

I am not a manager, I'm still considered an individual contributor.

Monday I have 7 meetings, including 3 made by the same project manager at the *same time*. He can't even go to all 3 meetings he booked simultaneously!

I've been averaging at least 4 hours of meetings a day, mostly useless.

Ha! Laughed a lot at this one.

C40_guy
03-20-2020, 12:01 PM

Block three or four hours in your calendar each day, going a week out. Use that time for actual work. Hopefully, the meeting organizers will schedule around that time...

I've been doing that for years, as a way of protecting my own productive time (or workout times, depending...)

pdonk
03-20-2020, 12:09 PM
Just given a laptop for the first time in 10 years.

Going to be working from home for at least 2 weeks, that is if any of the regulators I work with are in to respond to phone calls. If not a lot of letters to be written.

Will also be doing lots of arts and crafts and hopefully bike rides with my daughter.

Ozz
03-20-2020, 12:14 PM
So far, so good:

HS kid is doing online school from home
College kid is home and taking finals online
Reduced staff at work / some working from home
Staff only allowed to go to their offices / floors
I will be setup to work from home this week.
Client meetings are now WebEx meetings

We always tended to have a couple weeks worth of food / household supplies on hand anyways, so no need to rush the stores for food or such. Maybe bought a few extra cans of beans, pastas and coffee.

Supporting local restaurants by ordering take-out and tipping 25%+

Wine cellar is fully stocked...so we are good there.:cool:

Oh, and been planning a trip to Italy for the past year......<boom>.....gone. Well, probably postponed to next year, but who knows?
Update: Spring Semester at college is going to be online........driving to Bellingham today to move stuff out of dorm room.....hoping to beat the rush.

exapkib
03-20-2020, 12:26 PM
Just got back from the doc with our four year old.

Over the course of the day yesterday, we watched as what seemed like a typical head cold transformed into a fever, shallow breathing, lethargy (not typical for this active kid). After the symptoms continued through a rough night, we called first thing this morning and made an appointment.

I was so impressed with the doctors, nurses and facility--the local doctors have designated one of the local pediatric clinics the "ill clinic" and are only treating kids who have symptoms that might be covid-related at that one clinic. There was nothing that a person could pick up in any of the waiting rooms or examination rooms. Still lots of kid-friendly decorations on the walls. Everyone in masks and gloves--from the front desk all the way to the doctors. Everyone was so kind to us--lots of encouragement and patience. Incredible how far that goes when the emotions are close to the surface.

Diagnosis: Pneumonia. "Likely" coronavirus, though he is not in the group of people who will be tested. They've got him on zithromax. Asked us to completely isolate him within our home, though we are not emotionally equipped to keep walls between us and our little boy. I figure if he really has it, we've already been exposed.

We've been completely isolated since Thursday of last week, so I feel like we're doing our part to keep it out of the community at large, though it also seems clear that whatever he has came into our home from the community at large.

Lots of emotion right now--the sun is shining outside, though. That helps.

Just another data point.

Find chances to be kind out there.

oldpotatoe
03-21-2020, 06:21 AM

Over the course of the day yesterday, we watched as what seemed like a typical head cold transformed into a fever, shallow breathing, lethargy (not typical for this active kid). After the symptoms continued through a rough night, we called first thing this morning and made an appointment.

I was so impressed with the doctors, nurses and facility--the local doctors have designated one of the local pediatric clinics the "ill clinic" and are only treating kids who have symptoms that might be covid-related at that one clinic. There was nothing that a person could pick up in any of the waiting rooms or examination rooms. Still lots of kid-friendly decorations on the walls. Everyone in masks and gloves--from the front desk all the way to the doctors. Everyone was so kind to us--lots of encouragement and patience. Incredible how far that goes when the emotions are close to the surface.

Diagnosis: Pneumonia. "Likely" coronavirus, though he is not in the group of people who will be tested. They've got him on zithromax. Asked us to completely isolate him within our home, though we are not emotionally equipped to keep walls between us and our little boy. I figure if he really has it, we've already been exposed.

We've been completely isolated since Thursday of last week, so I feel like we're doing our part to keep it out of the community at large, though it also seems clear that whatever he has came into our home from the community at large.

Lots of emotion right now--the sun is shining outside, though. That helps.

Just another data point.

Very good thoughts directed at you and your little boy...Wishing you the best outcome possible...

dsimon
03-21-2020, 06:28 AM
We were going to sell our house now we might not be able to. Apparently at the closing office the realtor is not even allowed there. less people I get that. closers wash hands wear gloves get a fresh pen out of new package my wife digs that shes a germaphob anyway. IM used to that. now were doing a walk through via facetime... now that I dont get oh well chin up I still have a job and a house. so Ill survive

paredown
03-21-2020, 06:32 AM

Just another data point.

Positive thoughts sent for a full recovery for your son. And the rest of you!!!

fa63
03-21-2020, 06:50 AM
Positive thoughts sent for a full recovery for your son. And the rest of you!!!+1. Hope you all get well soon!