PDA

View Full Version : New Mavic carbon rims?

mass_biker
03-15-2020, 12:58 PM
Anyone with experience building up the Open Pro or CXP carbon clincher rim?

I've had good luck/experience with my many-year-old Mavic Ksyrium Carbone SL (that's a mouthful) - strong enough for unexpected gravel, plenty light, not too shabby in the wet, and plenty stiff (stiffer than my first Gen ENVE).

I have a spare 20/24 subset I'd like to repurpose...considering building them up with HED Belgium+ but from what I understand, you can also order the CXP carbon to build a carbon clincher with all the trappings of "modern" wheels (wider etc.)

FWIW - I don't run tubeless so these would be clincher wheels. And I'm lightish (145lbs) and ride on punchy terrain (all up and down - sharp ups + downs).

Any input from the PL_Nation?

Thanks

m_b

hollowgram5
03-15-2020, 11:44 PM
I'm super intrigued by the new Mavic rims as well. I'm hoping someone will chime in with experiences, but I think the rims are basically the Cosmic and Ksyrium Pro Carbon UST just with varying hole options.

I've got the itch for a 32h Open Pro Carbon wheelset.

oldpotatoe
03-16-2020, 05:42 AM
Anyone with experience building up the Open Pro or CXP carbon clincher rim?

I've had good luck/experience with my many-year-old Mavic Ksyrium Carbone SL (that's a mouthful) - strong enough for unexpected gravel, plenty light, not too shabby in the wet, and plenty stiff (stiffer than my first Gen ENVE).

I have a spare 20/24 subset I'd like to repurpose...considering building them up with HED Belgium+ but from what I understand, you can also order the CXP carbon to build a carbon clincher with all the trappings of "modern" wheels (wider etc.)

FWIW - I don't run tubeless so these would be clincher wheels. And I'm lightish (145lbs) and ride on punchy terrain (all up and down - sharp ups + downs).

Any input from the PL_Nation?

Thanks

m_b

MY input is I think there are better options than this $600 rim..

BTLOS
OffTheFrontRacing rims as 2 examples.

mass_biker
03-16-2020, 06:37 AM
Anyone with first hand experience with BTLOS and the others?

Oldpotatoe - how much would a Wheelset with these run?

My (minimal) carbon clincher experience is with Mavic's Ksyrium Elite Carbone (which has been plenty stiff/burly/light) and the first gen Enve (light/not terribly stiff on the DT240/not inspiring in the wet - although the second gen brake track is apparently much, much better).
If at all possible - something a smidge wider than these first-ish gen carbon clinchers to be competitive with the magic carpet ride that I am getting on my Belgium+ rims.

chiasticon
03-16-2020, 06:49 AM
And I'm lightish (145lbs) and ride on punchy terrain (all up and down - sharp ups + downs).for one, I think you'd love some 40mm-ish rims on that kind of terrain, at that weight. I certainly do. to me, the ride of these is less about aero and more about just adding a bit of stiffness/responsiveness, while keeping the weight down. and on rolling/punchy terrain, that's where they shine.

I haven't had a wheelset built with these specific rims but I do have a couple sets of recent Mavic pre-built wheels and I love 'em. my summer wheelset is the Cosmic Pro Cabon SL, which seems like a very similar rim to the CXP. brakes very well, seems very stiff, spins up well without feeling sluggish. my guess is you'll love a wheelset built with these rims.

you may find a better price on a pre-built wheelset though, and just sell off the hubs. the above wheels were around a grand for me. sounds like you'll be in for $1200 in rims alone for these. something to consider...

FlashUNC
03-16-2020, 07:28 AM
File these under "we'll make them but you've really, really got to want them."

Just don't make sense in context of getting a fully built set of wheels from Mavic for the same amount of scratch, especially if you're building them up fresh. If you've got the hubs in hand it's a little more palatable, but much more reasonable ways to get carbon-y.

I talked with a shop about building up a set, and ended up going prebuilt for that exact reason.

oldpotatoe
03-16-2020, 07:31 AM
Anyone with first hand experience with BTLOS and the others?

Oldpotatoe - how much would a Wheelset with these run?

My (minimal) carbon clincher experience is with Mavic's Ksyrium Elite Carbone (which has been plenty stiff/burly/light) and the first gen Enve (light/not terribly stiff on the DT240/not inspiring in the wet - although the second gen brake track is apparently much, much better).
If at all possible - something a smidge wider than these first-ish gen carbon clinchers to be competitive with the magic carpet ride that I am getting on my Belgium+ rims.

I've built some BTLOS wheels and they build just fine and dandy. The gent I built them for has said they are working just great.

'Wheelset $' depends on hubs..sing Bitex, in the $850-$950 range.