PDA

View Full Version : Chinese carbon wheel review came up on the Velocipede Salon - too good to be true?

eddief
03-15-2020, 12:50 PM
the reviewer does not get into real info until about 3 minutes in, but does a good job of describing the parts and engineering and the company. on his website he also does an on-site at the company to show frame design and manufacturing: if i had a K to blow i'd consider a set:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxcsyje8xbY

KJMUNC
03-15-2020, 12:57 PM
I thought the same until i tried it. They were fine until I did a long day with lots of descending and the wheel developed a “thump thump”. Took it to LBS and the rim had bulged ever so slightly....couldn’t see with the naked eye but the truing stand doesn’t lie. Won’t ever buy cheap wheels again.

eddief
03-15-2020, 01:16 PM
wud b gud 2 no.
I thought the same until i tried it. They were fine until I did a long day with lots of descending and the wheel developed a “thump thump”. Took it to LBS and the rim had bulged ever so slightly....couldn’t see with the naked eye but the truing stand doesn’t lie. Won’t ever buy cheap wheels again.

oldfatslow
03-15-2020, 01:56 PM
RIM brake or Disc Brake bike?

cinema
03-15-2020, 02:35 PM
Lightbicycle stuff has been bombproof for me. Going on 5 years at least on my disc rims

macaroon
03-15-2020, 03:24 PM

Sadly it's not just the cheap carbon wheels that suffer from delamination issues!

R3awak3n
03-15-2020, 04:57 PM
Sadly it's not just the cheap carbon wheels that suffer from delamination issues!

thats right. I delaminated some enves.

dan_hudson
03-15-2020, 06:05 PM
thats right. I delaminated some enves.

Ditto. Original 45s for me, not the newer Smart profile rims.

crankles
03-15-2020, 06:47 PM
Lightbicycle stuff has been bombproof for me. Going on 5 years at least on my disc rims

Same here. built and raced hard mutliple pair of CX and Road wheels lightbicycle rims. All are still in service. Tubular and Tubeless.