PDA

View Full Version : DIY Di2 Battery hackers, self hacked folk please..

robt57
03-15-2020, 10:45 AM
I finished my 2x18650 DIY system. I wanted something with more than 500mah for multi day and far off use of my bike.

I used to bring an extra charged of the old externals for safety, because the DI2 system itself is not additionally heavy enough. ;)

Now that my externals have got agey, and the new internals so expensive IMO...

Anyway, the 18650s add both a good amount of weight, and more so an unknown increased capacity 5-6x mah.

Who else made overkill capacity battery pack/hacks? And how goes it??

Clean39T
03-15-2020, 10:48 AM
Don't they last like 2500-5000km as-is? Where you going that you won't see an outlet in that time?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

robt57
03-15-2020, 10:57 AM
Don't they last like 2500-5000km as-is? Where you going that you won't see an outlet in that time?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I know, valid point. I probably should just start with a new battery. All my Di2 stuff is used and external older batteries.

Just trying not to have to upgrade working systems. Still using lots of ST-6770 and early Junction As [ew67a]up front. Still running 2 10s di2 systems.

No interest in bluetooth or syncro shiet. ;)

I do have one with the BTR2 with EW90A front junction that the battery was new.

Unlike some young folk here, I retired early and need to be careful about toys/expense. So the DIY cheating Shimano outta upgrade parts is satisfying and necessary for me.

DIYing is my MO, and always has been.

loxx0050
03-15-2020, 06:35 PM
If to want something to do and diy it I say go for it. But, I was able to buy a couple of external Di2 batteries for cheap that both seem fine. One I got from eBay for $10 shipped. One I got for $40 that came with the external battery charger I really was looking for off of a guy from my local Craigslist. Both came with the external mount/holder short version.

robt57
03-15-2020, 07:23 PM
If to want something to do and diy it I say go for it. But, I was able to buy a couple of external Di2 batteries for cheap that both seem fine. One I got from eBay for $10 shipped. One I got for $40 that came with the external battery charger I really was looking for off of a guy from my local Craigslist. Both came with the external mount/holder short version.

I got a few external holders for 5.00 each. So I hacked one apart for my 2x18650 DIY battery.

I have done a DIY remote multi button harness for a few so far as well.

I had no luck on used external battery sales. You'd think with all the folk wanting syncro and upgrading to that I have found at least one for 30.00 or so..

loxx0050
03-16-2020, 09:03 AM
I lucked out on the eBay one where I put in the minimum bid of $9.99 and it was free shipping and was the only bidder.

For the craigslist one I was really just looking for the external battery charger and the guy threw in the battery with the short mount for free too. He sold the bike or something he used the spare battery and charger with I think. Or maybe he went internal as I don't recall.

I've now got 2 spare short external battery mounts. Can only confirm 1 works with my system and the other I don't know (probably has older firmware?) but it won't power anything when I tried to test it. I made the mistake of buying a new DN100 external battery mount (long for the bottle cage mount) because I thought I'd go with bluetooth and try out syncroshift. Never bothered after the inline wireless unit I bought (brand new) was clearly used since I was never even able to get it to connect as the factory default pin was not working. Returned it and never looked back. Should've just tried to find a used long bottle cage mount older version instead but those are hard to find for cheap too when I was shopping around.