PDA

View Full Version : Single Speed Questions

rob137
01-12-2007, 10:06 AM
I have a Serotta CSI frame of 1995 vintage and I would like to convert it to a single speed (not fixed).

First off, is this possible?

Secondly, what would it take if I wanted to do it right?

Thoughts?

old_school
01-12-2007, 10:17 AM
White Industries Eccentric Eno Hub would probably be the easiest, least expensive conversion.

Eno (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/white-hubs.html)

coylifut
01-12-2007, 10:55 AM
if you are not going to ride fixed, you can use an old rear mech as a chain tensioner. that would be the very cheapest way to go. However, don't ever try this with a fixed gear.

Stand by though, Obtuse will drop in and tell you to just put it one gear and ride around.

obtuse
01-12-2007, 10:58 AM
if you are not going to ride fixed, you can use an old rear mech as a chain tensioner. that would be the very cheapest way to go. However, don't ever try this with a fixed gear.

Stand by though, Obtuse will drop in and tell you to just put it one gear and ride around.

damn straight. don't shift.

obtuse

rob137
01-12-2007, 11:06 AM

A few problems with this approach.

I may not have the willpower to not shift.
Marginal weight savings.
I like the aesthetic of a single speed.
Cost savings, since I don't currently have components on the frame.

sbornia
01-12-2007, 11:24 AM
White Industries Eccentric Eno Hub would probably be the easiest, least expensive conversion.

Eno (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/white-hubs.html)

+1 for this hub.

coylifut
01-12-2007, 01:03 PM
A few problems with this approach.

I may not have the willpower to not shift.
Marginal weight savings.
I like the aesthetic of a single speed.
Cost savings, since I don't currently have components on the frame.

then get the Eric's Eno hub that way you can mount a free wheel on one side and fixed on the other and you are completely covered. With that said, pay up for a White Industries free wheel. The cheap BMX ones don't last that long. Especially if they get wet often.

72gmc
01-12-2007, 01:49 PM
+2 on the Erics Eno hub, and likely a +1 on coylifut's freewheel advice very soon. The ACS is still churning away back there but I get the feeling winter is going to win the battle.

harlond
01-12-2007, 03:39 PM
I like my Eno hub for SS, but it's not inexpensive. Add in a White freewheel and you're really talking dollars. If you only want SS, seems like you could use the Surly Singleator and your existing cassette. Singleator goes where your derailleur is now and gives you chain tension without shifting.

There is at least one issue with the Eno hub when running SS. Because the eccentric hub rotates on axis, the rim can move perpendicularly relative to the brakepads, so if something happens that requires such rotation, you can have a rear brake issue as well. Not necessarily a big deal, depending on how much reach and adjustability your brakes have. I assume you're going to run rear brakes on your SS, but maybe not.

Anyway, I converted my 95 Serotta. You can see it here:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=12541&highlight=atlanta

dirtdigger88
01-12-2007, 03:46 PM
There is at least one issue with the Eno hub when running SS. Because the eccentric hub rotates on axis, the rim can move perpendicularly relative to the brakepads, so if something happens that requires such rotation, you can have a rear brake issue as well. Not necessarily a big deal, depending on how much reach and adjustability your brakes have. I assume you're going to run rear brakes on your SS, but maybe not.

I know what you are talking about here - BUT-----

this issue is easily fixed by clamping a pair of pliers to the hub to rotate it into the position (sans chain) to get your brakes set up- then add the chain-

now you only have to slighty rotate the hub to fine tune the chain- via the pliers- and tighten

I know White says drop the hub in and let gravity tension the chain- but that really can make for brake issues

Jason

toaster
01-12-2007, 08:55 PM
If you wanted to do it right one way would be to change the drop outs to semi-horizontals.

Track fork ends (drop-outs) would be extreme and overkill for the project. The fixed and SS conversions done on older frames with semi-horizontal are simple and give you room to adjust chain. You can still run a derailleur on it if the SS or fixed isn't for you.

CalfeeFly
01-13-2007, 11:56 AM
If you decide to go ahead with an Eno hub drop me a e-mail. Eventually I will get around to selling a brand new rear wheel with an Eno. It is a Velocity Deep V (in silver), Sapim Race spokes 14-15, black brass nipples, and the Eno hub is in black. The freewheel is a Miche and the cog an ACS. Both are 17 teeth.

I was in a bad car accident and projects I planned have been canceled. I just don't ride as much as I have in the past.

Good luck with your conversion. People really seem to like this method of conversion. I have some other parts as well.

Take care.