PDA

View Full Version : First time Serotta Owner, first ride

EDS
01-12-2007, 09:11 AM
Took my new Serotta HSG TI for its maiden voyage this morning - just a few quick laps of Central Park. I went with the new SRAM Rival for components - wanted the Campy Centaur but it was on back order and I wasn't willing to wait (the warm weather has been killing me since I have been without a bike for over a month). Fork is an alpha-q and I am using my old velomax circuit wheels. Frame is the competition red. Not sure why they didn't just do a brushed ti with these standard frames, but the red looks nice.

This is a big upgrade for me since my previous (and only) road bike was an aluminum Giant TCR with shimano 105 (9 speed) I purchased off of ebay in 2002. I liked the Giant but it was super stiff and transferred every last bit of uneven road surface right up to my kiester. The Giant frame was dented (and apparently slightly cracked - just like my wrist) in a pile up during a road race this fall so had to be replaced.

It is way to early to tell how much I will like the bike, but it did seem smoother then the Giant. The SRAM stuff also shifted smoothly and was noticably quieter then the 105. Can't wait to get a longer ride in this weekend.

Since my family is from the Albany area, I have lusted after a Serotta for a long time, but was waiting until I improved my cycling enough to justify having such a nice bike. The crash and broken frame accelerated things a little.

Cheers.

saab2000
01-12-2007, 09:21 AM
Keep the reports coming! This is one of the first reports from the HSG line-up and some of us (me) are really curious about them. That it is smooth is not a surprise.

But I am curious about its racing bike handling.

PS - Welcome to the world of Serottas. I rode my CIII this morning and once again liked it.

David Kirk
01-12-2007, 09:23 AM
Enjoy and smile. Life's too short to ride junque.

Dave

Too Tall
01-12-2007, 09:37 AM
Welcome EDS :) Great news. Congratulations. Lucky man.

EDS
01-12-2007, 09:37 AM
Race season doesn't start around here until March, so I won't be able to guage its race palmares until then.

It did feel a little portly but I haven't put it on a scale to confirm. The rough roads here around NYC would beat me up on the Giant so I am hoping the ti plus carbon seat stays allow me to ride longer. The fitting I got should also help with that.

saab2000
01-12-2007, 09:47 AM
Race season doesn't start around here until March, so I won't be able to guage its race palmares until then.

It did feel a little portly but I haven't put it on a scale to confirm. The rough roads here around NYC would beat me up on the Giant so I am hoping the ti plus carbon seat stays allow me to ride longer. The fitting I got should also help with that.

The portliness of the frame won't matter one bit unless you are planning on racing up Alpe d'Huez soon.

I have a couple of pretty light bikes and a heavier Serotta. Fact is that I get dropped at the same spots on rides no matter what bike I am riding so the bike just don't matter.

BTW, I also entered a new world of smooth bikes when I got my Serotta. They do know how to make a bike ride smoothly, regardless of what it is made of. Mine is steel and is a smoother ride than my non-Serotta titanium.

J.Greene
01-12-2007, 10:00 AM
I have a couple of pretty light bikes and a heavier Serotta. Fact is that I get dropped at the same spots on rides no matter what bike I am riding so the bike just don't matter.

BTW, I also entered a new world of smooth bikes when I got my Serotta.

I agree. I get dropped too, by riders on all kinds of bikes.

I did a tt the other night and didn't get beat by anyone who was not on a tt/triathlon style bike. Felt good about that atmo.

JG

Steelhead
01-12-2007, 10:58 AM
A winter ride around Central Park on a new Serotta. Nice !

Have you learned how to do this: :banana: yet?

Skrawny
01-12-2007, 12:10 PM
Welcome to the club!

I, too, anxiously await a more extensive ride report, as well as a picture. Did you test other bikes? Do you have a garage door that you can take a picture of it in front of? (tradition) I guess, in NY it might be difficult to find a garage door - in lieu of that, the second most common shot seems to be an apartment shot with some sort of pet in the for ground or background ;)

-s

SPOKE
01-12-2007, 12:21 PM
i hope to be putting together an HSG iT for a customer next week. build kit will be ultegra 10spd. can't wait to try it out.
i did ride an HSG iT prototype in Boulder, CO back in november while there for the Serotta fit training. it felt really good but i had to pay more attention to the road and such since it was raining pretty hard so i can't claim to have been able to make a great evaluation. but my initial impression was very good.

EDS
01-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Looks like the weather does not want to cooperate with my goal of getting one or two longish rides in this weekend. Grr.

Any reason not to take this bad boy out with the knowledge that rain is likely to fall for most of the ride? I never had to worry about this with my old bike, but the new one is so shiny and new!

Ginger
01-12-2007, 04:44 PM
Got fenders?

You have to get it dirty some time. You'll have plenty of time to clean it when the snow finally shows up.

:)

Needs Help
01-12-2007, 04:58 PM
But I am curious about its racing bike handling.
Serottas with an HSG sticker on them go 1 faster and corner 1 better.

alembical
01-12-2007, 05:14 PM
A winter ride around Central Park on a new Serotta. Nice !

Did winter finally reach you guys out there?