PDA

View Full Version : E'roica California- Postponed

Velocipede
03-12-2020, 04:10 PM
Yep. Postponed.

cgolvin
03-12-2020, 04:24 PM
I haven't received any communication from them, nor do I see official news or communication, can you please provide a link?

I only have a couple of days to cancel my lodging without penalty.

Steve in SLO
03-12-2020, 05:07 PM
DANG!
I was just on their website and couldn’t find any notification, came back here to see this. it’s no wonder Paceline is my #1 news source.

Ciavete
03-12-2020, 05:09 PM
DANG!
I was just on their website and couldn’t find any notification, came back here to see this. it’s no wonder Paceline is my #1 news source.

What were you going to ride Steve?

Spdntrxi
03-12-2020, 05:09 PM
USA cycling just postponed events too... so no surprise.

fiamme red
03-12-2020, 05:11 PM
According to this message from an organizer, it's postponed but not canceled: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/1195445-eroica-coronavirus-7.html#post21364213.

cgolvin
03-12-2020, 05:13 PM
Someone just shared the email below, we should be getting official communication in the next couple of days. Based on this perhaps Velocipede should edit the thread title with "postponed" in place of [sic] "canceled"?
(Edit: Fiamme Red snuck in while I was writing)

Velocipede
03-12-2020, 05:18 PM
Someone just shared the email below, we should be getting official communication in the next couple of days. Based on this perhaps Velocipede should edit the thread title with "postponed" in place of [sic] "canceled"?
(Edit: Fiamme Red snuck in while I was writing)

I just saw your email and was getting ready to post this email message from E'Roica. Correct, it's listed as "postponed" but with no date as of yet for the event, that's why I said canceled. I did correct the title though. Apologies for the late reply and miscommunication.

Steve in SLO
03-12-2020, 06:18 PM
What were you going to ride Steve?

Probably the Santa Lucia route. I haven’t been riding much and up until a couple days ago had a meeting which was on the same dates. The meeting has been canceled so I was thinking I had a chance to ride this year.
Might get a few friends together and ride a No-roica that weekend.

danield
03-12-2020, 07:58 PM
figured this would be the case thanks for the info.

mhespenheide
03-12-2020, 08:45 PM
I'm semi-local. As long as things aren't crazy bad, I'll probably ride it anyway even if there's not an organized event.

Steve in SLO
03-12-2020, 09:35 PM
I'm semi-local. As long as things aren't crazy bad, I'll probably ride it anyway even if there's not an organized event.

I’m not sure about the current routes, but in the past some have traveled over generally–closed private roads. Be aware of that.

DCilliams
03-13-2020, 05:13 AM
Everyone remain calm, all this means is that there's still time to buy my De Rosa Sammontana. ;)

Spaghetti Legs
03-13-2020, 07:42 AM
Everyone remain calm, all this means is that there's still time to buy my De Rosa Sammontana. ;)

That one’s too nice to pound on the gravel!

Definitely would score some points at the concourse exhibition though....

redir
03-13-2020, 08:54 AM
YEah all my local spring classics are cancelling too. Boston marathon postponed till Sept.

mhespenheide
03-13-2020, 09:09 AM
I’m not sure about the current routes, but in the past some have traveled over generally–closed private roads. Be aware of that.

?

I've ridden it multiple times other than on the day of the event. Cypress Mountain road is marked as "closed" but clearly goes through. The residents on Kiler don't always like people coming through, but there's tasting rooms for both wine and olive oil on the road. What am I missing?

There are some short segments on private roads, but the only ones that I know of that are completely private are inside vineyards and avoidable -- seems like they were added to the ride to get more gravel, rather than complete a loop. I don't know about the full "Heroic" route, though; I've only ever done the former "Coastal" route.

If I'm wrong, let me know. I don't get up there that often, but it's a ride that I love doing when I get the chance.

Steve in SLO
03-13-2020, 10:16 AM
My comment may have been based on old information. While discussing setting up the routes of the first Eroica, the organizer, Wesley Hatakeyama, mentioned he had received permission for the ride to go on several private roads that were not normally open to riding, either because they were not county roads or were on private property, and that one couldn’t complete the loops except during the Eroica. Likely they were circumventable, as you say.
Sorry for the misinformation.

mhespenheide
03-13-2020, 10:54 AM
My comment may have been based on old information. While discussing setting up the routes of the first Eroica, the organizer, Wesley Hatakeyama, mentioned he had received permission for the ride to go on several private roads that were not normally open to riding, either because they were not county roads or were on private property, and that one couldn’t complete the loops except during the Eroica. Likely they were circumventable, as you say.
Sorry for the misinformation.

Gotcha. I didn't ride the first edition, but in the second edition there was a 2-3 mile gravel segment through one of the vineyards (with some steep hills!) to make the loop. Successive editions didn't have that section.