PDA

View Full Version : OT - Question about old exterior doors

veggieburger
03-12-2020, 09:23 AM
I checked google quickly, but didn't find anything...so to the experts!

We live in a lovely old home with a vintage front door. It has a twist bell in the middle and very scrolly hardware. However, the glass is an odd size (25x25.5 or so) and is single pane. The single pane just will not do.

Yes - I know I can custom order a double pane insert.

However, since I imagine these old doors were common at one point, I would think there's a company that makes off-the-shelf glass inserts for old doors like this.

Anyone?

Thanks!

Black Dog
03-12-2020, 09:40 AM
You will not find off the shelve inserts. Post a pic. If you are willing to live a with a vinyl insert, custom will not be very expensive. If you want a wood framed insert then custom will not be cheap.

veggieburger
03-12-2020, 09:46 AM
You will not find off the shelve inserts. Post a pic. If you are willing to live a with a vinyl insert, custom will not be very expensive. If you want a wood framed insert then custom will not be cheap.

Ok. I'll snap a picture when I get home.

cmg
03-12-2020, 09:48 AM
post a photo of the condition your talking about. If you don't want a custom order multi pane insert and a single pane won't do what are you looking for? If not custom your going to have someone if not you build the surround that's going to fit the off the shelf insert. Don't see how that's not going to be costly. It would be cheaper to replace the door but from the sound of it probably not a stock size either.

Ed-B
03-12-2020, 09:50 AM
I think people more commonly put full glass storm doors in front of these vintage doors.

veggieburger
03-12-2020, 09:52 AM
I think people more commonly put full glass storm doors in front of these vintage doors.

We have an old screen door in front of it. A storm door is a good idea, but we want to maintain the flavor of the old house.

C40_guy
03-12-2020, 10:20 AM
Unlikely that you'll find anything off the shelf at this point.

You may be able to find an old-school glass guy who will come to your house and make/install a custom double paned glass. In our area, a replacement piece (double-pane glass) for a normal sized double hung window is about $150 installed. Low E and reflective panes are optional, at slightly higher expense...

We're considering it, as our 25 year old windows are generally in good shape, with the seals blown on a handful...

That having been said, unless the glass is a substantial portion of the door, you are unlikely to feel any real difference. Your insulation money is probably better spent elsewhere -- blown in, topsealing in attic, new weatherstripping on windows/doors, set back thermostats, etc...

veggieburger
03-12-2020, 10:28 AM
That having been said, unless the glass is a substantial portion of the door, you are unlikely to feel any real difference. Your insulation money is probably better spent elsewhere -- blown in, topsealing in attic, new weatherstripping on windows/doors, set back thermostats, etc...

It is a pretty substantial part of the door, and it happens to be at the side that gets a lot of the wind. Attic is recently done, weatherstripping is golden...just trying to put some finishing touches on things.

HenryA
03-12-2020, 10:57 AM
Made to order insulated glass is not expensive. Why would you not?

paredown
03-12-2020, 11:58 AM
Made to order insulated glass is not expensive. Why would you not?
This was going to be my comment--if you have a good local glass shop, they can order to fit. It won't be cheap IME though.

It's worth figuring out if the door can be worked on as well--old school doors used molding and window stop so they were relatively easy to take apart, but I once had a factory door with a fogged pane, an it was glued and god knows what--it was never coming apart short of a nuclear strike.

A good door guy might be the ticket--add new weatherstripping and new glass at the same time when you have it out. Possibly a new threshold as well?

I have put off redoing my original front double doors for about 10 years, because I know that it will be a big job--best done with the doors out and horizontal...

C40_guy
03-12-2020, 12:00 PM
It is a pretty substantial part of the door, and it happens to be at the side that gets a lot of the wind. Attic is recently done, weatherstripping is golden...just trying to put some finishing touches on things.

Makes sense to me. The double pane will be thicker than the original glass and will require some reworking of door. Most likely, just respacing the muntins that retain the glass.