PDA

View Full Version : Convert xt hub from 135 to 130?

AngryScientist
03-11-2020, 12:13 PM
Anyone familiar with the hubs used on this wheelset?

Maybe it's possible to remove spacers, trim the axle and re-dish the wheel?

anyone?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Velocity-A23-OC-650b-Wheelset-Shimano-Deore-LX-32-Spoke-Off-Centre/174215807526?hash=item2890124226:g:QWIAAOSw-F1eZ3k3

elliott
03-11-2020, 12:20 PM
Take 5mm of spacer off the NDS, shorten axle 5mm and re-dish.

robt57
03-11-2020, 12:25 PM

This^^

Sometimes on Alloy frames the dropouts are thick enough you can get away without the axle trim. Until you forget and put that wheel in a thinner dropout on a steel bike and wish you had not skipped it that is. ;)

pdonk
03-11-2020, 12:39 PM
A quick search makes it look possible, looks like you can do it by replacing the NDS 8mm spacer with a 3mm spacer and cutting the axle down, or replacing the axle and reusing the cones and other pieces.

schematic: https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-FH-M510-1895.pdf

ColonelJLloyd
03-11-2020, 12:55 PM
Anyone familiar with the hubs used on this wheelset?

Maybe it's possible to remove spacers, trim the axle and re-dish the wheel?

anyone?

Yep.

Gummee
03-11-2020, 04:57 PM
Best practice is to replace the axle with the right size and reduce the NDS spacers.

I've done it the other way more often than your way.

I may very well have a few Shimano axles. I don't remember if I have a Ti/alloy axe that was supposed to go on something fancy. I'd have to look

M

ultraman6970
03-11-2020, 06:07 PM
IM not sure but i think i have one of those axles with the FHB included... need to check.

oldpotatoe
03-12-2020, 05:45 AM

YES, however it also means after doing that the rim moves to the left, meaning a LOT of added tension might be required to dish/move rim to right. Reducing LH spoke tension might not be enough. What you are essentially doing is moving the RH flange inboard..making the RH spoke more 'vertical'..and adding tension to RH side to get dish might not make for a very stout wheel. Depending on smallest cog to end of axle lock nut distance..you 'may' be able to take 1-2mm off RH side, then 2-3 off LH side to make the dish easier.

Mark McM
03-12-2020, 08:57 AM
YES, however it also means after doing that the rim moves to the left, meaning a LOT of added tension might be required to dish/move rim to right. Reducing LH spoke tension might not be enough. What you are essentially doing is moving the RH flange inboard..making the RH spoke more 'vertical'..and adding tension to RH side to get dish might not make for a very stout wheel. Depending on smallest cog to end of axle lock nut distance..you 'may' be able to take 1-2mm off RH side, then 2-3 off LH side to make the dish easier.

Peter, I think you're overcomplicating things. The wheels in the link use LX hubs. These hubs use the same 55mm spacing between the flanges as road hubs, the difference being the offsets (32.5mm/22.5mm L/R). Reducing the axle by 5mm by removing 5mm of spacers from the left would change the flange offsets to 35mm/20mm - which is exactly the same as for Shimano 130mm hubs. So the tension differentials (and wheel strength) would be no different from other 130mm axle road hubs. (And the tension differential would still be less than for Campagnolo road hubs.)

Geeheeb
03-12-2020, 09:59 AM
I have a 130 spaced disc wheel (actually wheelset) that originally came with my 08 poprad. Interested?

semdoug
03-12-2020, 10:39 AM
I am wondering what the point or purpose of this conversion is. The link shows what appears to me to be an LX non-disc 32 hole hub. Wouldn’t a 105 hub do the same thing as the conversion? Am I missing the point of the conversion?

Ed-B
03-12-2020, 10:47 AM
I am wondering what the point or purpose of this conversion is. The link shows what appears to me to be an LX non-disc 32 hole hub. Wouldn’t a 105 hub do the same thing as the conversion? Am I missing the point of the conversion?

It's a prebuilt 650B rim brake wheelset with 135mm spacing at the rear. Typically you'd put a wheelset like this on a 650B conversion, and most of the time you'd want 130mm spacing because it's an older frame that you may have already spread out from 126mm. Not many prebuilt 650B rim brake wheelsets are being offered these days, and those that are offered are more money than this one.

I've cut down 135mm axles on the NDS of the hub right at the lock nut. Remove the nut, file the end of the axle, swap to a 5mm narrower spacer, replace the nut, redish the wheel, and it's done.

AngryScientist
03-12-2020, 10:54 AM
Yes, ED is correct.

i have a sweet 650B rim brake bike that is 130 in the back.

i have a set of stuff to build wheels on order, but was hoping to pick up a set of wheels cheap/quick to get the project rolling.

if anyone has something laying around, i'm interested!

AngryScientist
03-12-2020, 10:54 AM
I have a 130 spaced disc wheel (actually wheelset) that originally came with my 08 poprad. Interested?

do the rims have a brake track?

oldpotatoe
03-13-2020, 07:40 AM
Peter, I think you're overcomplicating things. The wheels in the link use LX hubs. These hubs use the same 55mm spacing between the flanges as road hubs, the difference being the offsets (32.5mm/22.5mm L/R). Reducing the axle by 5mm by removing 5mm of spacers from the left would change the flange offsets to 35mm/20mm - which is exactly the same as for Shimano 130mm hubs. So the tension differentials (and wheel strength) would be no different from other 130mm axle road hubs. (And the tension differential would still be less than for Campagnolo road hubs.)

I understand that but I worry that the gent will just wack off 5mm of the left side, then add a bunch of tension to drive side to get dish....and may kill the rim...